PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something?

Armywife
07-10-2013, 19:16
I have been reading about and planning my thruhike for perhaps five years now. I don't do a lot of typical planning, more of the reading all the books written by others who have done it and gaining their knowledge. So this has lead me to my question; why do I need to spend so much money on so much equipment to make it on this trail? If a 69 year old woman can walk it, not once but three times, with a homemade sack and an old army blanket or a guy can walk it 6 times wearing pair after pair of shoes he got at the Salvation Army then why do I need to drop thousands of dollars on state of the art high tech stuff? Or do I? I went to the store today to buy my backpack so I can start getting used to it but chickened out at the last minute because it was 4.4 pounds instead of 2 and cost 70 dollars instead of 300. Am I just working myself up over this? Should I just follow my instincts? Is my gear in direct proportion to how much of a challenge I want the hike to be? Could you folks weigh in with your thoughts on this? Thanks.

max patch
07-10-2013, 19:26
I went to the store today to buy my backpack so I can start getting used to it but chickened out at the last minute because it was 4.4 pounds instead of 2 and cost 70 dollars instead of 300.

Most hikers would say that spending an additional $230 on a pack that saved 2.4 pounds on their back is a wise investment.

On my thru I started off carrying 50 pounds; eventually getting it down to 45 pounds by Damascus. And while I'm sure I could thru again next year carrying the same weight I'm looking forward to spending whatever it takes to get it down to 30 pounds or so.

Gear won't get you to Katahdin. But lighter gear will make the journey more enjoyable.

max patch
07-10-2013, 19:33
Since you don't have a pack yet I'd suggest waiting until you have all your other gear. Then you can load your prospective pack with all your stuff and make an informed decision as to fit and comfort.

Rasty
07-10-2013, 19:41
Buy the best pack you can afford. Skimp on cooking gear and get cheaper rain gear. Your pack needs to be comfortable.

Double Wide
07-10-2013, 19:51
Gear won't get you to Katahdin. But lighter gear will make the journey more enjoyable.

This!

I too thought I could do a multi-day backpacking trip with an external-frame pack, Coleman sleeping bag, 2 Nalgene bottles, etc etc etc., but I soon learned. If you're doing any preparation at all, you simply MUST do some hiking and ideally, some multi-day trips with the gear you plan on thru-hiking with. You'll learn in a hurry that you're probably no Grandma Gatewood.

Do you *need* to spend thousands of dollars on gear to be successful? Nope. If I were you, I'd spend as little as possible on gear until I was sure I actually, you know, liked backpacking and long-distance hiking, and then spend the big $$$ for what you will by then know will work for you. I've probably turned over about 80% of my gear since I started planning for my thru, because I was stubborn and did all my learning from books, magazines, and white-blaze posts. Then I put my boots on and realized what a fool I was.

The idea of backpacking is an enjoyable romantic notion. The actual practice thereof is hard effin' work.

susiecruise
07-10-2013, 19:59
This!

I too thought I could do a multi-day backpacking trip with an external-frame pack, Coleman sleeping bag, 2 Nalgene bottles, etc etc etc., but I soon learned. If you're doing any preparation at all, you simply MUST do some hiking and ideally, some multi-day trips with the gear you plan on thru-hiking with. You'll learn in a hurry that you're probably no Grandma Gatewood.

Do you *need* to spend thousands of dollars on gear to be successful? Nope. If I were you, I'd spend as little as possible on gear until I was sure I actually, you know, liked backpacking and long-distance hiking, and then spend the big $$$ for what you will by then know will work for you. I've probably turned over about 80% of my gear since I started planning for my thru, because I was stubborn and did all my learning from books, magazines, and white-blaze posts. Then I put my boots on and realized what a fool I was.

The idea of backpacking is an enjoyable romantic notion. The actual practice thereof is hard effin' work.

Well said .

Armywife
!
This!

I am an avid hiker who usually hikes 20+ miles a week on day hikes, and have spent many a night in the boonies with nothing more than a throw and cupa-ramen. I have never used hiking gear to get me through a trip, thus I am wondering if I need something special, I have always just crammed my ole jansport backpack full of stuff.
As for the external versus internal, I might be wrong but if I can't see the frame, and it is inside the pack, then its internal; right? Plus I have never done an extended trip, I have camped for 4 months at a stretch, but not hiked for more than a day or so.
Thanks again

max patch
I too thought I could do a multi-day backpacking trip with an external-frame pack, Coleman sleeping bag, 2 Nalgene bottles, etc etc etc.,

Did you sneak a peek at my gear list? :) This is why I carried 45 pounds on my thru.

Slo-go'en
07-10-2013, 20:05
Sure you can thru hike the AT with cheap (and usually heavy) gear. No doubt there have been people who have done it that way. But most who try to use cheap gear quickly realise they have two choices 1) start buying better gear or 2) go home.

Few can afford the very best, high end gear although it is nice to have if you can. The rest of us settle for middle of the road stuff which is only marginally heavier and much less expensive. Putting together a decent sub 20 pound "kit" for less than $1000 is not that hard to do. With any luck you will be using this gear for up to 6 months to keep you alive, so do you really want to skimp here?

Drybones
07-10-2013, 20:06
Buy the best pack you can afford. Skimp on cooking gear and get cheaper rain gear. Your pack needs to be comfortable.

Agree. Two things that must work for you or it will not be a pleasant hike...your shoes and your pack. I have about every cook option on the market and always carry a 24 oz beer can pot and a homemade stove that cost the price of the beer, the stove was made from an empty hair spray can.

Mountain Mike
07-10-2013, 20:20
The best/lightest gear doesn't guarantee a successful hike. UL gear is often more expensive due to the the fact that most of it isn't mass produced. UL are a very small market of backpackers. The only times I heard somebody say things were too light was when cold weather set in & their clothing or sleeping systems weren't warm enough.

A lot depends on you & what you are comfortable with. Mental endurance is more important than physical on the AT. The physical you can work into the first few weeks on the trail. Things I wouldn't skimp on are your sleeping system including shelter & comfortable pack. Rest is important & when you will be using it almost every night for 4-6 months it works out pretty cheap. I also agree on waiting to buy your pack until you decide on other gear. Rent different ones from REI or EMS to try them out. Also when shopping ask if there is anyone on staff that has thru hiked.

Slo-go'en
07-10-2013, 20:20
There is a HUGH difference between roughing it for a night or two and being out 24/7 for up to to 6 months. There is also a HUGH difference between the kind of weather and terrain your used to in Colorado and the AT. (I'm assuming an AT hike, right?) Plus on a thru, you can't pick and choose which days you want to hike. You need to be ready to deal with most anything depending on the time of year and where you are at the moment. You'll most likely be hiking through three seasons, spring, summer and fall.

hikerboy57
07-10-2013, 20:31
with a lighter pack, you can carry more food, more water, stay in town less(which will save you more money than you'd spend on upgrading your gear)as well as being able to hike farther.20 miles a week isnt really the same as 15-20 miles a day.
dont get too confused, its relatively simple if you plan properly.met a guy this spring right before i hit damascus that had started his sobo last october with 120 lb pack. he was carrying 70lbs when i saw him.should i have told him he was doing it wrong?
of course there are those,too, that will carry 50 lbs of expensive ul gear.

Armywife
07-10-2013, 20:34
There is a HUGH difference between roughing it for a night or two and being out 24/7 for up to to 6 months. There is also a HUGH difference between the kind of weather and terrain your used to in Colorado and the AT. (I'm assuming an AT hike, right?) Plus on a thru, you can't pick and choose which days you want to hike. You need to be ready to deal with most anything depending on the time of year and where you are at the moment. You'll most likely be hiking through three seasons, spring, summer and fall.

Yes, the AT (is there another one? ;) ) and I just figured it would be easier since there will be air down there. LOL However, in all seriousness, I see that it is overwhelmingly in the majority to not skimp on a pack. I have been looking at a few others, and it's really difficult to tell which one would work. I am very much a hands on kind a gal, and like to play with my toys before I buy them. I hesitate to buy anything online for this reason, plus I am also a very much RIGHT THIS MINUTE type person. I will order a few different packs (I can't find a store here that sells good light weight packs, 3 pounds min.) and play with them then send the icky ones back. Or something. Thanks folks.

hikerboy57
07-10-2013, 20:41
Yes, the AT (is there another one? ;) ) and I just figured it would be easier since there will be air down there. LOL However, in all seriousness, I see that it is overwhelmingly in the majority to not skimp on a pack. I have been looking at a few others, and it's really difficult to tell which one would work. I am very much a hands on kind a gal, and like to play with my toys before I buy them. I hesitate to buy anything online for this reason, plus I am also a very much RIGHT THIS MINUTE type person. I will order a few different packs (I can't find a store here that sells good light weight packs, 3 pounds min.) and play with them then send the icky ones back. Or something. Thanks folks.

everyones different but check out osprey aura packs, overwhelmingly the pack of choice this spring among the ladies i met. excellent customer service to boot.

rei carries them

johnnybgood
07-10-2013, 20:42
Seeing that you live in Colorado Springs you should check out your local REI store. Inquire about their garage sales, and then attend one for great deals on all your backpacking needs. Setting priority goals is the start on getting quality gear that you need at a fraction of the retail price .

Rasty
07-10-2013, 20:48
There is a Golite store in Colorado Springs.

fiddlehead
07-10-2013, 20:55
The only piece of gear you need to spend real money on is your sleeping bag.
I've hiked with people who have made (sewed) their own packs together (CDT finisher, Triple Crowner), use the cheapest, lightest weight sleeping pad (and cut it in half), and of course, made their own alcohol stoves from a beer can.
DryDucks (raingear) is around $15-20, polypro long johns can be found for $10, and you are correct, running shoes can be found in thrift stores for under $10.

But a good sleeping bag can save your life on a cold and rainy night, so, I wouldn't go cheap on that piece of gear.

It's true you can find most everything else you need at a thrift store.
Life is priorities! What is yours?

Lone Wolf
07-10-2013, 20:59
I have been reading about and planning my thruhike for perhaps five years now. I don't do a lot of typical planning, more of the reading all the books written by others who have done it and gaining their knowledge. So this has lead me to my question; why do I need to spend so much money on so much equipment to make it on this trail? If a 69 year old woman can walk it, not once but three times, with a homemade sack and an old army blanket or a guy can walk it 6 times wearing pair after pair of shoes he got at the Salvation Army then why do I need to drop thousands of dollars on state of the art high tech stuff? Or do I? I went to the store today to buy my backpack so I can start getting used to it but chickened out at the last minute because it was 4.4 pounds instead of 2 and cost 70 dollars instead of 300. Am I just working myself up over this? Should I just follow my instincts? Is my gear in direct proportion to how much of a challenge I want the hike to be? Could you folks weigh in with your thoughts on this? Thanks.
totally follow your instincts. i first thru-hiked back in the mid 80s before books, internet and know-it-alls. DO NOT listen to most of the so-called advice you'll get on here. just buy what you want and go with it. you'll figure it out quick

Lone Wolf
07-10-2013, 21:02

i thourouhly enjoyed my 5 complete AT hikes plus the 6000 other AT miles carrying 40ish lbs.

rickb
07-10-2013, 21:06
30 years ago you would have been told that you needed a Kelty External frame. 15 years ago you would have been told a 7 Lb Dana Designs pack made hiking a pleasure. Today it's a pack that is teeny-weeny and made with exotic materials you want.

Good grief.

My suggestion is to wait until you are 50 and then mortgage your home to buy a pack with features and comfort we can't even imagine today.

Sarcasm the elf
07-10-2013, 21:11

Definitely check out GoLite, they changed the way they do business a couple of years ago and now only sell their stuff direct. Because of this they slashed their retail prices, most of their packs are lighter and about half the price if comparable packs that you would find at REI.

Lone Wolf
07-10-2013, 21:13
go with your instincts.........

Just Bill
07-10-2013, 21:18
Check out golite, 35 liter jam is 99, if you can't use the smaller jam, you can get the 50literhttp://www.golite.com/Jam-35L-Pack-Unisex-P46811.aspx

Sarcasm the elf
07-10-2013, 21:38

Seeing the questions in your original post, I'd recommend that you check out the articles at pmags.com (no relation to the polymer magazine company). They are written by a long distance hiker and whiteblaze member Paul Magnanti and a number of the articles deal with how to go light and cheap with gear, including thrift shopping, Costco buys, etc. Most of it is written with a minimalist mentality that sounds like it might be your thing given what you've said about yourself.

http://www.pmags.com/300-gear-challenge
http://www.pmags.com/topics/gear

hikerboy57
07-10-2013, 22:00
i thourouhly enjoyed my 5 complete AT hikes plus the 6000 other AT miles carrying 40ish lbs.
yeah but you would have enjoyed it more if you were carrying 30 :)

Lone Wolf
07-10-2013, 22:02
yeah but you would have enjoyed it more if you were carrying 30 :)

no. not at all

hikerboy57
07-10-2013, 22:16
no. not at all
just kidding. i hiked with 40lb + packs for years. it really wasnt until i had more disposable income that i replaced my old kelty with an ems internal frame that was about 5 or 6 lbs and i used it for years in the whites, and then started looking to get lighter.
in any case its an evolution anyway and you do learn as you go.i think very few could claim to have bought the perfect gear the first time out.

MuddyWaters
07-10-2013, 22:21
Hikers of long ago, were fairly lightweight and minimalistic hikers. They had to be.

There is a photo of a gear list from the early days in the book "The Appalachian Trail: Celebrating America's Hiking Trail" sold by the ATC. The members of one of a local AT group were striving to keep their pack weights to 14lbs minus food and water. Earl Schaffer did the same. The pack they listed back then only weighed about 3 lbs.

A lot of gear-creep took place as cheap gadgets of everykind became widely available.

You dont need expensive gear, or fancy gear. You need gear that wont fail you at the worst times though, and it is almost always cheaper to buy good quality once, that poor quality several times.

The problem today, is that cheap stuff from China, is often really crap. Some gear, even expensive, is marketed by the "bamboozle them with bull$hi_ approach. Meaningless buzzwords and useless features galore. All placing weight secondary to looks and gimmicks.

Rasty
07-10-2013, 22:27
no. not at all
just kidding. i hiked with 40lb + packs for years. it really wasnt until i had more disposable income that i replaced my old kelty with an ems internal frame that was about 5 or 6 lbs and i used it for years in the whites, and then started looking to get lighter.
in any case its an evolution anyway and you do learn as you go.i think very few could claim to have bought the perfect gear the first time out.

My first boy scout stuff was really light. Also helped that I didn't have much money to buy stuff.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-10-2013, 22:30
totally follow your instincts. i first thru-hiked back in the mid 80s before books, internet and know-it-alls. DO NOT listen to most of the so-called advice you'll get on here. just buy what you want and go with it. you'll figure it out quick

I have to disagree with you a bit there LW. I would suggest you listen to all the advice...figure out whose you respect most (Lone Wolf, Hikerboy, Coach Lou for instance)....then buy what you want and go with it. That way, you'll know who to blame if it all goes wrong!!! (hint: it'll be you)

hikerboy57
07-10-2013, 22:34
I have to disagree with you a bit there LW. I would suggest you listen to all the advice...figure out whose you respect most (Lone Wolf, Hikerboy, Coach Lou for instance)....then buy what you want and go with it. That way, you'll know who to blame if it all goes wrong!!! (hint: it'll be you)
coach lou carries 10lb cheesecakes, packs always 40+, lw carries 40+ i carry around 30, there are guys that are well under 20, so who's right. i'll say it for him-its just walkin.it aint tha complicated and we've all figured it out as we went along.

Mags
07-10-2013, 22:35
I If a 69 year old woman can walk it, not once but three times, with a homemade sack and an old army blanket or a guy can walk it 6 times wearing pair after pair of shoes he got at the Salvation Army then why do I need to drop thousands of dollars on state of the art high tech stuff? .

You don't need to spend thousands of dollars to go light by any means.

EDIT: Looks like someone already put in a plug for my site. ;) Thanks sir!

Items I used this weekend:

Pack: SMD Swift ($85 maybe at the time?..could easily get a GoLite Jam for the same price)
Sleeping: JRB Quilt ($350?)
Pad: Blue foamer ($10)
Stove and cookpot: None
Rain gear: DriDucks Jacket ($20!), dancing light gear wind pants ($20!)
Balaclava $7
Army Surplus wool gloves $4
OR Rain Mitts, used $20
Patagucci Nano Hoodie Spot Bonus from working as an IT monkey at a trade show, cost me nothing :) Equivalent? M-65 Army surplus liner jacket worn under DriDucks ~$10 I used this on the BMT quite well!
Shoes - Walmart Trail Runners $20
Shirt - Poly-Cotton Dress Shirt $5
Shorts - K-mart Cargo shorts $10
Socks - Target Running socks - 3/$10

....you get the idea

I bought, what I thought, was the best sleeping system I could afford with a mix of dirt bag and mid-range items.

Well under a thousand. If I went with Kelty Cosmic Down, hoevering around $600 for a sub-10 lb gear kit.

Why do I go light? Because when I am going minimal and caring less stuff, I feel I am more connected with the terrain around me and less concerned with said stuff.

johnnybgood
07-10-2013, 22:42
Cheap gear isn't a deal breaker. Neither is carrying 40 lbs.

It's all good if you got the proper attitude.

Lone Wolf
07-10-2013, 22:42

how much LD walkin' have you done?

Rasty
07-10-2013, 22:47

It's not rocket science. Should only take a ten or twenty nights to figure it out.

Odd Man Out
07-10-2013, 22:49
Here is that 1939 gear list from the ATC book (pg79). It says that "Stephenson and other headquarters volunteers weighed everything in their packs to try to get their gear down to 12 lbs for the ATC meeting in Maine."

CONTENTS OF FRAME PACK
Weight
Gerber frame pack 3 lbs
Clothing
Wool breeches 1 lb
Flannel shirt 8 oz
Silk shirts 2 8 oz
Handkerchiefs 6
Silk undies 2 10 oz
Wool undies 2 10 oz
Wool socks 6 prs 1 lb 3 oz
*Silk socks 4 prs
Parka 14 oz
*Sweater 6 oz
*Sweat shirt 1 lb 2 oz
Rain suit & hat 12 oz
Tennis slippers 15 oz
Pajamas 9 oz
Toilet articles 7 oz
*Rubbers 15 oz
*Boots 2½ lbs

Miscellaneous
*Guidebook 11 oz (glass - 1 oz)
*First Aid
*Triangular Bandage
Bandades 1 oz
Fly Dope 3 oz
Knife 2 oz
Cup 3 oz
Salt shaker 2 oz
Match case 1 oz
Flashlight 2 oz
Boot grease 3 oz
*Notebook & pencil
Thread 1 oz

Full pack 14¼ lbs
Underwear 1¼ lbs
All shirts 1 lb 15 oz
Gum and charms 1 oz each

*Not in pack when weighed

Main canvas boots 2 lbs 10 oz
Moccasins 1 lb 2 oz
Oxfords 1 lb 10 oz
keds 1 lb 5 oz
1 pr socks wool 4 oz

Praha4
07-10-2013, 23:08
for one thing the AT is not the same trail it was many years ago when those folks hiked it with a homemade sack and an old army blanket. Over the years much of the AT has been pushed higher on the rocky ridgelines, it is a more difficult trail to hike than years ago, when there were more road walks and easier terrain. Once you start hiking the AT now you'll figure out pretty soon why it will be beneficial to your body to lighten your load.

Lone Wolf
07-10-2013, 23:11
for one thing the AT is not the same trail it was many years ago when those folks hiked it with a homemade sack and an old army blanket. Over the years much of the AT has been pushed higher on the rocky ridgelines, it is a more difficult trail to hike than years ago, when there were more road walks and easier terrain. Once you start hiking the AT now you'll figure out pretty soon why it will be beneficial to your body to lighten your load.

oh really? did you hike the stecoahs in the 80s, the smokys, any of the trail back then? it's easier now, physically

MuddyWaters
07-10-2013, 23:22
Here is that 1939 gear list from the ATC book (pg79). It says that "Stephenson and other headquarters volunteers weighed everything in their packs to try to get their gear down to 12 lbs for the ATC meeting in Maine."

*Rubbers 15 oz

Planning for a good time apparently.:eek:

Actually, its interesting that their raingear was essentiall same weight as our high tech raingear today. Possibly lighter than some.

DLP
07-11-2013, 01:28
Your height, weight, age, muscle mass and fitness level will also determine how much you can physically carry. I'm 5"1.5 in the morning on a good day. No way will I carry 40 lbs or even 30.

I used an external backpack that I got at a thrift store for $2.50 for several years. I modified it and got the weight of it down to about 3 lbs and it worked great. This year I splurged and bought a ULA Catalyst for $250 and it works even better.

It's not rocket science. Should only take a ten or twenty nights to figure it out. Have to agree with that. I threw my tent poles away after 2 nights and tied the tent to a tree. Also gave away chocolate... because I found it made me gag after 9 days. Never saw THAT coming.

Was buying rolls of tape for foot blisters. And wrote in journal, "I hate that Ray Jardine and his %&*($ sneakers right now!"

Keds may have worked for Grandma Gatewood and sneakers work fine for Ray Jardine, but I'm way happier in a light boot. Reading what works for others helps... but getting out there for 10+ days and nights helps you figure out what will work for you.

Kookork
07-11-2013, 01:41
The day Lone Wolf starts to walk LD with an under 25 pounds weight backpack( food and water not included) I will make him a kookork Hand made wooden scale classic Victorinox and send him as a gift( the scale will be any type of exotic hardwood or softwood he chooses from my 20 plus wood collection ) and I will brag afterward that LW is carrying the knife I made specially for him. Even better I will put his name on it. I promise it would be as unique as LW himself. Deal LW?

Dogwood
07-11-2013, 02:10
I have been reading about and planning my thruhike for perhaps five years now. I don't do a lot of typical planning, more of the reading all the books written by others who have done it and gaining their knowledge.

Maybe this is typical planning FOR SOME? You DO NOT have to fit into anyone else's idea of what you need or want to do to accomplish an AT thru-hike! This is called Hike Your Own hike(HYOH). But, don't forget that also requires you to be RESPONSIBLE for YOUR HIKE!

So this has lead me to my question; why do I need to spend so much money on so much equipment to make it on this trail?

Let's stick with a generality right now. I can tell you not everyone who hikes the entire AT has done it by spending a large sum of money whether it be on gear, in town stays, resupplying, etc. IMHO, these days too much is made of must having or wanting to have the latest greatest lightest hiking gear which overwhelming tends to be the most expensive to do a thru-hike. And, that's coming from someone who has completed multiple thru-hikes at the LOW END in wt Ultra Lighter but who has also initially done thru-hikes carrying heavy conventional loads using cheap heavy hiking gear. I have evolved to where I now am. I'm continuing to evolve. It will happen to you as a hiker too!

If a 69 year old woman can walk it, not once but three times, with a homemade sack and an old army blanket or a guy can walk it 6 times wearing pair after pair of shoes he got at the Salvation Army then why do I need to drop thousands of dollars on state of the art high tech stuff?

Be careful with that assessment. Despite that we don't always know the FULL story about someone's thru-hike! And, Slo-go-en's right, "There is a HUGH difference between roughing it for a night or two and being out 24/7 for up to to 6 months."

I went to the store today to buy my backpack so I can start getting used to it but chickened out at the last minute because it was 4.4 pounds instead of 2 and cost 70 dollars instead of 300. Am I just working myself up over this? Should I just follow my instincts?

Was this because you feel you've been led to believe that pack was too heavy and the probably well intentioned but possibly wrong folks you've been listening to have been talking up high priced hiking gear?

Is my gear in direct proportion to how much of a challenge I want the hike to be?

This is quite possible. However, an AT thru-hike will be a huge challenge regardless of gear. I caution you here again though. The wt of your gear is but ONE FACTOR in a possible host of factors concerning your hiking kit and your hike! I notice this short cut taking place quite often when folks, even well seasoned hikers, prioritize the wt of gear over all other gear factors in all hiking situations. You have not. You are STRONGLY considering the price factor into gear decisions which IMHO is COMPLETELY valid and reasonable. I'll mention something else too. It sounds like you are currently only aware of a few factors concerning your kit namely - cost, wt, and possibly comfort. Like i said we evolve as hikers in many regards just as in non-hiking life. What you're experiencing on your thread are folks who are at different stages in their hiking and gear knowledge evolution hence the different and sometimes controversial and opposing opinions. Remember, no one has a lock on everything. As Lone Wolf said no one knows it all. This is why every hiker I've ever seen(I've seen thousands upon thousands) has a different kit and often has different opinions. Remember most of what you hear and read about hiking the AT are opinions.

Here's the path many AT hikers, especially AT thru-hikers, go down. It happened to me too. Maybe it will happen to you also which is what I expect. Prepare for hike. This often means somehow weeding through the mountains of data, analyses, opinions, gear, etc etc etc concerning doing an AT hike. At some pt, with sweaty palms, we think we got it somewhat figured out so plunk down our do re mi for transportation to the TH or maybe even walk there. But yet in our hearts we really know we don't know everything. That sometimes can scare us. But we trudge on. We hit the TH terminus. About Day 1 and 2 we start realizing this isn't exactly what we thought it would be like. This can be work. This requires a huge effort. We trudge on. By the end of wk 1 good chance we're sore and tired. We trudge on. By about wk 2 we realize people are going faster than us and they often have small volume lower wt kits. We talk about gear and trail life and the weather and those hard climbs and that snake that attacked us but.... we trudge on. In short time we MAY have the idea "hey, if I lighten my load by buying better(often meaning more expensive and lighter wt gear) I will not be as sore or uncomfortable and so can go farther or faster. We trudge on, not ready to pull the trigger on new lighter more compact gear because our bank accts are only being held together by band aids and we keep learning something new about the hiking lifestyle, ourselves, and gear each day. We trudge on. At some pt we start deleting gear and adding it. That's how many proceed on the AT. I would estimate of the successful(as in completing their anticipated thru-hikes) AT thru-hikers I've seen MORE than 75 % don't finish with the same kit they started with and MOST CERTAINLY DO NOT FINISH AS THE SAME PERSON THEY STARTED AS.

Welcome to WB and the VERY individualistic activity of hiking. This thing you're planning on happily achieving is going to require a GREAT amount of personal decision making, independence, adaptability, personal responsibility, and committment. It's a version of freedom that entails many things including making mistakes and learning from them even when it pertains to gear. It's a version of freedom that has you happily accepting and acting on what you know at the time, then, finding in the near future, things have changed so the decisions you came to in the past need to be reevaluated. It's real world in a way not everyone adapts to. So, to answer your original question succinctly - YES YOU ARE MISSING SOMETHING and when you find that you may realize you're missing something else and after that....

A long winded post but hopefully you got something from it.

MuddyWaters
07-11-2013, 07:55
Quite frankly, the only items you really have to have , are a rucksack, blanket, poncho-tarp.

You dont even need to carry water, many early hikers did not, indians didnt either. Drink your fill at a source, then walk another 5 miles. It works.

It can be as simple, or a difficult as you choose.

Possible, and comfortable, are two different things though. Comforts may increase your chances of sticking with it.

jeffmeh
07-11-2013, 09:40

Who is this guy HUGH, and what does he have to do with it? :)

Coffee
07-11-2013, 10:03
The impression from reading various forums and blogs can sometimes be that everyone is spending $3K on ultra lightweight gear but several trips on the AT and other trails leads me to the conclusion that the vast majority of backpackers still carry "traditional" gear and loads. Most of them seem to be having a great time despite heavier packs although probably few are on multi-week trips. Spending the money on light gear was worth it to me but if I couldn't spend the money I would have gone with heavier gear rather than giving up on my planned trip.

Water Rat
07-11-2013, 10:06

:welcome to White Blaze! I completely understand where you are coming from! I have been a backpacker & hiker for most of my life, but had not changed my gear until a couple of years ago. My thoughts were "why change a thing if I have hiked all these miles with this gear?" The simple answer is that you don't need to drop thousands of dollars on gear to hike the trail. As long as you have the right attitude and desire to hike the trail - You can make it happen. Buying lighter gear just makes the trip a bit more comfortable. Buy the pack that fits you the best. Yes, keeping the weight of your backpack and gear down will be helpful in getting you to your destination, but it doesn't have to take thousands of dollars to do it. I have decided that I will never be someone who will backpack with all the latest ultralight gear. However, I am slowly replacing older gear with newer, lighter gear and it doesn't always fall into the category of gear that is the absolute lightest out there. I am choosing to pick each piece of gear with an ear to what others think of it, but the question of "will it work for me?" is ultimately what makes the decision.

If that 4.4 lb pack fits you like a glove, feels like it was made to be on your back, and feels absolutely wonderful with all your gear in it - Go for it. It is possible to over think all this too much. Ultimately, what works for you will be what gets you down the trail. Maybe start by making a list of the gear you have/want and what the weight of that item is. Add it up and see where you are. If you can carry that weight, and are willing to carry that weight, then go for it. If there are areas where you are happy to replace an item with a lighter piece of gear, then look for a sale. The backpacking sales should be starting soon.

Your gear doesn't have to be state of the art, and it doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg. There are many happy-mediums out there! Good luck!

bear bag hanger
07-11-2013, 10:26
The lightest and most expensive gear isn't always the best solution. I've seen many backpacks which weigh under two pounds but wouldn't work for me. I carry about 40 lbs and it works for me. Any backpack I buy has to be able to handle 40 lbs. I'd like to go lighter, but skipping on a full rain suit and a few other items doesn't work for me. I do remember a young guy we met in Florida doing the whole east coast trail (includes the FNST, AT, and a few others) a few years ago who had a really light 15 lb back - and that was the whole weight, not the base weight. They found him almost frozen to death up in northern Georgia and he wound up in the hospital for something like three months. Amazingly, he fully recovered and the next time we saw him, he had a fifty lb pack and was able to complete the trail.

Advice - keep it as light as you can, but don't skip those items you need to survive.

gizzy bear
07-11-2013, 10:53

i was wondering the same thing... NO high end hiking stores in colorado springs?!?!

Rasty
07-11-2013, 11:06

i was wondering the same thing... NO high end hiking stores in colorado springs?!?!

Golite isn't very high end with pricing on packs. I got a "perfect for me" day pack for $50 with a quality 3 liter bladder.

gizzy bear
07-11-2013, 11:20
Golite isn't very high end with pricing on packs. I got a "perfect for me" day pack for $50 with a quality 3 liter bladder.

but you can't buy them at target or wal-mart... they are sold at hiking stores...maybe high-end wasn't the word i should have chose...maybe "specialty" would have been a wiser choice... either way... there has GOT to be stores around there where the gear can be tried on before buying...

Rasty
07-11-2013, 11:29
but you can't buy them at target or wal-mart... they are sold at hiking stores...maybe high-end wasn't the word i should have chose...maybe "specialty" would have been a wiser choice... either way... there has GOT to be stores around there where the gear can be tried on before buying...

I have only tried on one pack in my life before buying. Unless your shaped really strange you mainly need to know your torso length. Trying on a pack for a few minutes in a store won't tell you how the pack is going to feel after 16 miles with 25 to 50 pounds in it.

gizzy bear
07-11-2013, 12:00
I have only tried on one pack in my life before buying. Unless your shaped really strange you mainly need to know your torso length. Trying on a pack for a few minutes in a store won't tell you how the pack is going to feel after 16 miles with 25 to 50 pounds in it.

my pack was purchased online...AFTER i tried on various packs, in stores...and i like being able to do that.... i was actually responding to the following quote from the OP....
I am very much a hands on kind a gal, and like to play with my toys before I buy them. I hesitate to buy anything online for this reason, plus I am also a very much RIGHT THIS MINUTE type person.

Armywife
07-11-2013, 12:31

There is. I am not from CoS as we are military and hadn't heard of this place until reading it here. I will def. check it out in the next day or two.

Hot Flash
07-11-2013, 13:10
Armywife, I have a GoLite 70 pack. I have done a couple week-plus length trips with it, involving distances of anywhere between ten and fifteen miles a day, and loads (including food and water) of around 25 pounds. I don't know what size you are, but for reference I'm 5'8" and 130#. Here is my rundown on this particular pack.

It is light, but so far it is wearing well, though I haven't used it for an extended enough length of time to really see what the long term durability is. It has to be packed right or it can be uncomfortable, since there is no frame it in, and the only thing protecting your back from the load is a thin sheet of some sort of stiff plastic. However, this is easily addressed by using your sleeping pad as a cushion along your spine, by placing it correctly in the pack. The pack is roomy enough that you should be able to pack everything inside if you are judicious about space, and use stuff sacks. I can get a two person tent, my sleeping bag, sleeping pad, a bag of clothes, ditty bag, camp shoes, several days' food, and a half gallon of water into my pack without much effort. The pack does have five strategically placed cinch straps to adjust for the size of your load.

The hip belt has adequate cushioning and adjustment -- barely -- for my frame. I do have to cinch the belt down all the way in order to fit me, but on the plus side this means I can trim the straps off and lose a little weight. The two small hipbelt pockets could be bigger, but they do fit small things like a pack of tissue or a phone or a candybar. The shoulder straps are a little more touchy, on very long hikes I do think they could use just a bit more padding, but I'm not a big person and my shoulders are kind of bony, so that's part of the problem. The chest strap is placed to adequately avoid my boobs.

Now, for a couple things I do not like about this pack. When there is much of anything in the pack, the external zip pocket on the back isn't very useful unless you have something very flat you want to put in there. I put my groundcloth in it because it keeps any dirty bits separate from the interior of the pack and it can go flat enough.

Also, the side pockets on the pack are plenty big enough to carry a widemouthed Gatorade bottle in each (and still have room for other things), BUT it is nearly impossible for me to reach around and grab a bottle out of the pockets while I have the pack on. This is annoying to me, but not a deal breaker. The pack does have a sleeve inside for a water bag, and it does have ports built in to run a drinking tube out from the inside of the pack, I just don't prefer that type of water container.

The top of the pack doesn't have much in the way of weather protection, since it is a drawstring top and you just roll it down and strap it shut to close it. I also don't like how sweaty my back can get due to the lack of frame and ventilation between my back and the pack.

All in all, it's a decent pack for the price, but it's not quite perfect. I'll certainly use it until it wears out, though, so that's something.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-11-2013, 14:25
coach lou carries 10lb cheesecakes, packs always 40+, lw carries 40+ i carry around 30, there are guys that are well under 20, so who's right. i'll say it for him-its just walkin.it aint tha complicated and we've all figured it out as we went along.

I'd be willing to tote a few extra pounds for cheesecake.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-11-2013, 14:36

Not nearly enough....but enough to know that I should value the advice of others, but make my own decisions ultimately. And I've been on WB long enough to know that teasing you guys is fun.

Yes LW, you have oodles more experience than I, and I respect that. But I've also very recently been down the exact path the OP is now following, so I get it. That mental battle of "is it worth the $ or can I manage better or without" has been a large part of my brief hiking career.

Armywife
07-11-2013, 14:37
I just returned from a trip to the GoLite store. I had tried sporting stores before this and didn't realize there were hiking/backpacking stores only in town. I picked up a Quest 65L for a reasonable price. It weighs in at 3 pounds 10 oz. I went ahead and got it because we spent a good hour trying different sizes on and fitting them to my frame, which is going to change during the hike, and found one that will change as I change. Plus he said to hike with it for a month and if I don't like it or if it doesn't work right I could bring it back. Now to start adding gear and conditioning my body for the weight. :D

Rasty
07-11-2013, 14:46
I just returned from a trip to the GoLite store. I had tried sporting stores before this and didn't realize there were hiking/backpacking stores only in town. I picked up a Quest 65L for a reasonable price. It weighs in at 3 pounds 10 oz. I went ahead and got it because we spent a good hour trying different sizes on and fitting them to my frame, which is going to change during the hike, and found one that will change as I change. Plus he said to hike with it for a month and if I don't like it or if it doesn't work right I could bring it back. Now to start adding gear and conditioning my body for the weight. :D

Glad you found what you were looking for.

coach lou
07-11-2013, 15:14
I am forbidden by user agreement on giving any ultra lite packing advise. You do not want to look in my pack:D .......not much of my gear is older than my adult son. I have been replacing older heavier gear with new light stuff as it wears out and I find the cash. As far as packs go, I would get what you need to get started. It does not have to be a million dollar bag to go to Everest with.I know the Elf has a number of packs and is looking for another, I have a half dozen and realy would like one I could carry some stuff in:eek:

coach lou
07-11-2013, 15:17
I'd be willing to tote a few extra pounds for cheesecake.
No one ever complains about how much it weighs going down!!!!:)

litefoot2000
07-11-2013, 16:05
I say trust your own instincts.

q-tip
07-11-2013, 16:31
Everyone is different. I spent $3,500 on my AT gear for 1-3 seasons. Can you do it for less, you bet!!!!!! For me it is all about success. Safe, Dry & Warm. I got the best stuff to last a very long time and have my base wt. to 14-15 lbs. Worth every penny. But that's just me......

Teacher & Snacktime
07-11-2013, 16:33
No one every complains about how much it weighs going down!!!!:)

got that right!

Dogwood
07-11-2013, 18:55
I hope you do understand Armywife that you opened a can of worms with one of the most OPINIONATED WIDE OPEN PERSONAL topics in all of long distance hiking - GEAR. It can easily develop into a, uhh, discussion? that rivals religion or politics. Have you ever witnessed an Olympic event with all the diffrent waving flags and cat calls? It's worse when it comes to hikers talking about gear.

If you have the desire not only look into DIY gear websites that can save you money but, as said previously, Mag's money saving hiking gear tips and ALSO Sgt Rocks gear money saving tips.

Armywife
07-11-2013, 19:06
I hope you do understand Armywife that you opened a can of worms with one of the most OPINIONATED WIDE OPEN PERSONAL topics in all of long distance hiking - GEAR. It can easily develop into a, uhh, discussion? that rivals religion or politics. Have you ever witnessed an Olympic event with all the diffrent waving flags and cat calls? It's worse when it comes to hikers talking about gear.

If you have the desire not only look into DIY gear websites that can save you money but, as said previously, Mag's money saving hiking gear tips and ALSO Sgt Rocks gear money saving tips.

Interesting that money is brought into it. I wasn't even thinking of money for the most part. My question was do I need it and why can't I hike it the way my instinct tells me too? I can spend 6k on crap, trust me just ask my husband ;) but I don't want too. I don't want to be a 5 pound ultralighter or a 60 pound beast that quits after a hundred miles. I just want to hike and use the equipment I feel is best for me. While I didn't realize this was such a can of wyrmes I have learned some serious things and have had my question answered beyond anything I could have imagined. I have decided to buy quality and tested gear but still go my own way. :)

MuddyWaters
07-11-2013, 20:07
It really comes down to how far you want to hike per day vs. what comforts you are attached to.

You trade comfort walking on the trail, for comfort in camp when you lighten your load.

All depends on what someone wants.

If they want to get to Maine, eventually most find a happy middleground in the 25-35 lb total weight range.

The only definite, is that lighter IS easier.

jeffmeh
07-11-2013, 23:39

Until one is not prepared for cold, or heavy rain, or snow, or ice, or not making it to the next food or water supply.... Doesn't seem too definite to me, but I'm an RL (Reasonbaly Light) hiker, not a UL hiker. ;)

Meriadoc
07-11-2013, 23:45
Interesting that money is brought into it. I wasn't even thinking of money for the most part. My question was do I need it and why can't I hike it the way my instinct tells me too? I can spend 6k on crap, trust me just ask my husband ;) but I don't want too. I don't want to be a 5 pound ultralighter or a 60 pound beast that quits after a hundred miles. I just want to hike and use the equipment I feel is best for me. While I didn't realize this was such a can of wyrmes I have learned some serious things and have had my question answered beyond anything I could have imagined. I have decided to buy quality and tested gear but still go my own way. :)

Bravo! Go with your (informed) instinct! Don't regress! You're ahead of the pack.

Honestly, for the first 500 miles, all I ever heard about was gear. After that . . . silence because (1) those still on the trail had figured out what worked for them and (2) gear makes things easier but it really doesn't matter as much as what is in your head, heart, and soul.

I definitely was very much into gear before I started. And I constantly adjusted for the first 500 miles or so. You may do the same as priorities change and you figure out what works for you. Or you may not care.

As Dogwood said, who you are on the trail changes - which changes your priorities and your gear choices. If you're not worried about it now, by all means don't start! Keep it simple and try it out now so your pack isn't unbearably heavy. (Climb the incline at the start of the trail up Pike's Peak!) That's really all you need.

I can't help but plug my own post on the philosophy of gear, written before I left on my thru. I still very much agree with it no matter how silly it is and how many Hitchhiker's Guide references there are.
http://meriadocthehalfling.blogspot.com/2012/02/philosophy-of-gear-or-why-i-bring-soup.html

Dogwood
07-12-2013, 00:15
Interesting that money is brought into it. I wasn't even thinking of money for the most part.- Armywife

You did say this in your original post, "So this has lead me to my question; why do I need to spend so much money on so much equipment to make it on this trail?" - Armywife, so that's why I said what I said. Perhaps, i, as well others, misread you.

My question was do I need it and why can't I hike it the way my instinct tells me too? - Armywife

You certainly can hike it your way, and IMHO, recommend you do so. I did say something about HYOH and long distance hiking being so individualistic, didn't I? However, your present way, may change! Just trying to help.

Kookork
07-12-2013, 00:55
It really comes down to how far you want to hike per day vs. what comforts you are attached to.

You trade comfort walking on the trail, for comfort in camp when you lighten your load.

All depends on what someone wants.

If they want to get to Maine, eventually most find a happy middleground in the 25-35 lb total weight range.

Wow, You literally squeezed one of the longest discussions/Arguments of all backpacking about why go light ( or even UL) in one simple short post. Then squeezed it more by the sentence of yours that I made bold. Brilliant

Armywife
07-12-2013, 02:35
Interesting that money is brought into it. I wasn't even thinking of money for the most part.- Armywife

You did say this in your original post, "So this has lead me to my question; why do I need to spend so much money on so much equipment to make it on this trail?" - Armywife, so that's why I said what I said. Perhaps, i, as well others, misread you.

My question was do I need it and why can't I hike it the way my instinct tells me too? - Armywife

You certainly can hike it your way, and IMHO, recommend you do so. I did say something about HYOH and long distance hiking being so individualistic, didn't I? However, your present way, may change! Just trying to help.

You're right, I did! I always forget people can't read my mind! I didn't mean this to be a discussion of what we can or cannot spend, but for what what we should and shouldn't listen to in our heads!

Armywife
07-12-2013, 02:36
Bravo! Go with your (informed) instinct! Don't regress! You're ahead of the pack.

Honestly, for the first 500 miles, all I ever heard about was gear. After that . . . silence because (1) those still on the trail had figured out what worked for them and (2) gear makes things easier but it really doesn't matter as much as what is in your head, heart, and soul.

I definitely was very much into gear before I started. And I constantly adjusted for the first 500 miles or so. You may do the same as priorities change and you figure out what works for you. Or you may not care.

As Dogwood said, who you are on the trail changes - which changes your priorities and your gear choices. If you're not worried about it now, by all means don't start! Keep it simple and try it out now so your pack isn't unbearably heavy. (Climb the incline at the start of the trail up Pike's Peak!) That's really all you need.

I can't help but plug my own post on the philosophy of gear, written before I left on my thru. I still very much agree with it no matter how silly it is and how many Hitchhiker's Guide references there are.
http://meriadocthehalfling.blogspot.com/2012/02/philosophy-of-gear-or-why-i-bring-soup.html

OMG!!! Pikes Peak! I am one goofy chihuahua! It's like across the street from me! I will do that, I will work on that hike with the full pack and see what needs to be changed. Amazing what I find when I read replies. You folks are great!

litefoot2000
07-12-2013, 14:45
I still say trust your own instincts.

JustaTouron
07-12-2013, 15:33
Just a thought.

I am willing to bet that one would have a more enjoyable hike spending $500 on used and/or walmart quality gear plus $6000 for trail expenses than spending $4000 on super light high end equipment and only having $2500 on trail expenses.

Odds are for most people every dollar spend on equipment is a dollar less that can be spent on pizza, motel rooms etc.

Spend wisely.

And after two weeks on the trail, you can decided to invest in upgraded equipment if you decide that is the best use of your money.

Malto
07-12-2013, 17:59
The most important piece of gear is experience.... Experience in knowing what you don't need. Experience in how to not pack your fears. And experience in knowing how to use your gear to the fullest. Experience doesn't cost much money is a lot more fun than a piece of nylon. I suspect Grandma Gatewood spent quite a few nights in the woods and had the experience to pull off what she did. Welcome to WB.

Butterfly58
07-13-2013, 08:46
You might be interested in reading Appalachian Trials by Zach Davis. His is the only book I know of that really speaks to the mental game of long distance hiking. There is one chapter on gear written by Ian Mangiardi, an experienced long distance hiker. Ian's philosophy is not UL. In fact he talks about how including a couple of "luxury" items in your pack for a few ounces or a pound more, can make your hike immensely more enjoyable. I loved the book. Just read it and thought of this thread.

MuddyWaters
07-13-2013, 09:06
Until one is not prepared for cold, or heavy rain, or snow, or ice, or not making it to the next food or water supply.... Doesn't seem too definite to me, but I'm an RL (Reasonbaly Light) hiker, not a UL hiker. ;)

No one said anything about not being prepared.

Carrying too much is what causes most hikers problems.

jeffmeh
07-13-2013, 10:20
No one said anything about not being prepared.

Carrying too much is what causes most hikers problems.

I do not disagree with that.

However, you said, "The only definite, is that lighter IS easier." My point is that lighter is easier assuming that one has met his/her minimum requirements for preparedness. Lighter than that is not necessarily easier at all.

No worries....

DLP
07-13-2013, 14:37
Just want to thank Armywife for starting thread. I've been thinking for 2 days about needs vs. wants and the packing of fears and what one needs to be safe and enjoy both the walking and the sleeping since you first posted. :)

I am very much a hands on kind a gal, and like to play with my toys before I buy them. It might work for you to borrow or rent some tarps/tents or bags before buying. I've also found backpacking with others to be both interesting and instructive seeing gear used in person (vs reading books or online reviews or seeing an item or trying in a store). It can also help determine things like, "Do I need a shelter I can sit up in... or do I want to be able to sit up... but if I can't oh well, and I'd rather not carry that weight". Different people will have different needs and wants. And needs and wants change over the miles. Hands on experience in the rain, in the bugs, in the ________ often change our priorities.

But thanks for starting the thread.

litefoot2000
07-13-2013, 14:52
The most important piece of gear is experience.... Experience in knowing what you don't need. Experience in how to not pack your fears. And experience in knowing how to use your gear to the fullest. Experience doesn't cost much money is a lot more fun than a piece of nylon. I suspect Grandma Gatewood spent quite a few nights in the woods and had the experience to pull off what she did. Welcome to WB.

Very well said!!!

Drybones
07-13-2013, 15:16
Everyone is different. I spent $3,500 on my AT gear for 1-3 seasons. Can you do it for less, you bet!!!!!! For me it is all about success. Safe, Dry & Warm. I got the best stuff to last a very long time and have my base wt. to 14-15 lbs. Worth every penny. But that's just me......

This post made me curious as to what my gear would have cost had I know then what I know now. I went to my spread sheet that I use as a check list for hikes and added up what I normally use...came to $1377, and in reality that's about $200 high because I normally use the $100 REI bag I got at a scratch and dent sale instead of the $300 Marmot Helium that's added in. The post that stated experience has no cost isn't exactly true, every piece of gear I started with has been replaced, and normally with a much cheaper piece. I have about every stove and pot option out there but normally use a pot that cost the price of a beer and a stove that was free, if you dont count the 10 minutes it took to make it.

Dogwood
07-13-2013, 18:01
I didn't mean this to be a discussion of what we can or cannot spend, but for what what we should and shouldn't listen to in our heads! - Armywife

I sometimes have a connundrum sorting out what I should be listening to in my own head and even when I do figure that out that doesn't mean I always follow up on doing what I know I should be doing. That's being honest and is the reality. How in the world can I tell you all what you should be doing? It should be obvious, but I'll say it again, be open to learning new things, even when they may oppose your current instincts, which I take to also mean knowledge, thoughts, belief, and behaviors. This is what we sometimes have to do to move forward. I'll say this again too - you'll have to do that if you're ever going to gain the self discipline, responsibility, and committment to deal with the independence and freedom that comes with a long distance hike. That is, unless you want someone else to direct your hike. This isn't the military. This is about you taking the reins and directing your hike.

Kookork
07-13-2013, 21:08
I didn't mean this to be a discussion of what we can or cannot spend, but for what what we should and shouldn't listen to in our heads! - Armywife

I sometimes have a connundrum sorting out what I should be listening to in my own head and even when I do figure that out that doesn't mean I always follow up on doing what I know I should be doing. That's being honest and is the reality. How in the world can I tell you all what you should be doing? It should be obvious, but I'll say it again, be open to learning new things, even when they may oppose your current instincts, which I take to also mean knowledge, thoughts, belief, and behaviors. This is what we sometimes have to do to move forward. I'll say this again too - you'll have to do that if you're ever going to gain the self discipline, responsibility, and committment to deal with the independence and freedom that comes with a long distance hike. That is, unless you want someone else to direct your hike. This isn't the military. This is about you taking the reins and directing your hike.

Excellent comment.Respect