PDA

View Full Version : wearing colors for safety? Who does it and why?

soulrebel
07-28-2005, 17:10
Hey all,

After recent postings about hunters/hikers and the hiker killed in PA by a train. I was wondering do most people include "safety" colors in their wardrobe for high visibility?

Obviously, bright colors are helpful to hunters, search and rescue operations, and even hiking on the highways. Do you display something on your persons/pack during these times?

I ask b/c I bought 2 jackets today that look like highway safety cones? I really wanted to maintain a ninja appearance w/ the black but my oldness said--get orange...

max patch
07-28-2005, 17:22
ALL my hiking shirts are orange. That way even if it is hunting season somewhere and I forgot/didn't know it doesn't matter.

SGT Rock
07-28-2005, 17:50
Nope, I prefer neutral colors and let my training and instincts protect me.

peter_pan
07-28-2005, 20:19
I use blaze orange during hunting season.....Like Rock, I like to rely on my instincts...it is that da-- hunter w pi-- poor instincts I'm concerned about.

Pan

Kerosene
07-28-2005, 21:30
Nope, I just wear what works well for me, usually a blue or red Duofold CoolMax Alta shirt, khaki shorts, and a royal blue cap. I must admit that I do question my sanity sometimes when I hear gunshots during hiking season.

rickb
07-28-2005, 21:51
My mother sent me a white hat with a white pom pom for the later half of my SOBO. It was a nice hat. Momknit it so I wore it.

Being a good kid, I have thanked her for sending me that hat many times over the past 22 years, and will no doubt thank her again. Thats the kind of son I am.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6269/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

Ridge
07-29-2005, 01:05
My husband wears a bright orange bandanna and reflective strips on the back of his pack. You can never be too safe, especially walking along a highway in the dark. As for hunters go, my husband (a non-hunter and a animal lover), will tell you the hunters license fees pay for a lot of stuff and he's not opposed to most hunting. He, however, will protest to the ends of the world over the hunting of bears. I quote him: "To see a bear who has been chased by dogs to the point of total exhaustion only to make it up a tree to finally be shot down is the most disgusting and totally obnoxious sight I've ever seen. This is no sport, its primitive savagery in camouflage."

soulrebel
07-29-2005, 08:30
My mother sent me a white hat with a white pom pom for the later half of my SOBO. It was a nice hat. Momknit it so I wore it.

Being a good kid, I have thanked her for sending me that hat many times over the past 22 years, and will no doubt thank her again. Thats the kind of son I am.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6269/sort/1/cat/all/page/1
that hat is tight!!! thx for the pic lol--- used to ski in one of those -- if i could just find that sucka...

Doctari
07-29-2005, 08:54
Nah! Just green &/or neutral colors.

Kilt = green & black
Tee shirt - white blaze (gray)
Socks = natural wool
Pack = green (forest I think)
Hat = tan (summer) green (winter)
Boots = brown.
hiking poles = real tree (r) camo.
duct tape = green or camo

I do have a bright orange food bag, but all the other stuff sacks & etc are as above, even the rope to hang my food bag has a sort of camo look.

Doctari.

Tha Wookie
07-29-2005, 10:32
Nope, I prefer neutral colors and let my training and instincts protect me.
You know, I think that is a great perspective to adopt, about nearly everything in life.

But after a deer hunter once told me that I had been in his crossairs before he realized I was a human (note: trail name), I carry at least a hunting-orange bandana to tie to my pack during deer season.

turkey season (late fall-early winter in South, generally) is not so scary. They have to be up-close to get a kill usually. I might be like Rock then or in other seasons (or non-seasons). But in rifle deer season, where at least a small percentage of the otherwise responsible and ethical hunting community is either drunk, blind, or plain stupid (sometimes all three plus angry), I then use the orange. Remebemer, these kind of "hunters" stand there with over-powered rifles and will pull the trigger at movement well over 100 yards. I don't know what you think, but that's a scary thought to me.

One time I'll admit that even stooped so low as to purchase a hunting vest at Wal-mart, since all the older community hunting shops had been put out of business, after I had accidently left my orange at home. That but a lone blemish on my 9-year boycott. The experience was horrific.

Next time I might take my chances.

SGT Rock
07-29-2005, 11:02
You know, I think that is a great perspective to adopt, about nearly everything in life.

But after a deer hunter once told me that I had been in his crossairs before he realized I was a human (note: trail name), I carry at least a hunting-orange bandana to tie to my pack during deer season.

turkey season (late fall-early winter in South, generally) is not so scary. They have to be up-close to get a kill usually. I might be like Rock then or in other seasons (or non-seasons). But in rifle deer season, where at least a small percentage of the otherwise responsible and ethical hunting community is either drunk, blind, or plain stupid (sometimes all three plus angry), I then use the orange. Remebemer, these kind of "hunters" stand there with over-powered rifles and will pull the trigger at movement well over 100 yards. I don't know what you think, but that's a scary thought to me.

One time I'll admit that even stooped so low as to purchase a hunting vest at Wal-mart, since all the older community hunting shops had been put out of business, after I had accidently left my orange at home. That but a lone blemish on my 9-year boycott. The experience was horrific.

Good point Wookie. I will say as part of my plan that during hunting season (specifically rifle season) I go to the National Park where hunting isn't allowed.

BlackCloud
07-29-2005, 11:37
I have an orange Dana backpack. Does that qualify?:dance

PKH
07-29-2005, 11:42

Wookie,

I know what that feels like. I found myself in a bow hunter's cross hairs a few hunting seasons ago. This was in a provincial park of all places. Not a nice feeling at all. So for sure I'm wearing bright orange when the yahoos are out in the woods.

Cheers,

PKH

PKH

BlackCloud
07-29-2005, 12:06
Back in 2001 I found myself in a set of redneck crosshairs in the ridiculously early morning hours in the G. Richard Thompson Wildlife Mgt Area in N VA. That was the trip that I had to escape from the RAT @ Dick's Dome shelter @ like 5 am. After he lowered his bow he asked if I had seen any deeeeer? I opted not to ask "can you hunt in here?", & just said "naw".......:cool: