PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for breakfast

Sherpa Boy
07-11-2013, 08:46
Hello my dad and i are hiking the Georgia section of the AT. I was wondering what would be some good breakfast ideas that are light and tasty?

garlic08
07-11-2013, 08:51
Rolled oats, nuts, and dried fruit. You can eat it cooked or not cooked, with powdered milk or not.

A few Fig Newtons are a quick breakfast, and a little better than Pop Tarts.

A tortilla and hunk of cheese.

4Bears
07-11-2013, 09:13
A good hearty cold cereal in a baggie with powdered milk or Nido, add water, shake and eat. First day out a couple hard boiled eggs are tasty, if you want make them into egg salad using a mustard packet and a couple of mayo packets in a wrap.

Ktaadn
07-11-2013, 09:16
bagels and peanut butter

Namtrag
07-11-2013, 10:30
Oatmeal, powdered milk, and protein powder in a freezer bag...just pour boiling water in and wait a couple of minutes.

Odd Man Out
07-11-2013, 10:53
Oatmeal, powdered milk, and protein powder in a freezer bag...just pour boiling water in and wait a couple of minutes.

Me too, but I also add cinnamon, salt, and butter.

Namtrag
07-11-2013, 11:01
Me too, but I also add cinnamon, salt, and butter.

Sounds awesome!

I am fairly new to backpacking, but am amazed at how little protein most people eat while on the trail. I try to at least get a little in each day via protein powder since it is so light and so tasty.

FarmerChef
07-11-2013, 11:03
I like granola and milk - put cereal in bowl, put a tablespoon of Nido on top, add water. Enjoy! Packed with calories, quick and easy.
Pop tarts, cereal bars, granola bars - low calorie, relatively speaking but quick and you can eat them on the run.
Oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat for hot breakfasts. Nice because you can add a packet or two quickly for more calories. It does take time to heat the water plus bowl cleanup. Not a good choice if you need to get out of camp quick. You can add cheese, protein powder, pepperoni other "mixins" to them. Yummy.
Jerky, shelf stable bacon - it's not just for snacks ;) Big protein hit in a small package
Clif bars, energy bars - same as pop tarts but more energy. Can be heavier.

rocketsocks
07-11-2013, 11:07
Sounds awesome!

I am fairly new to backpacking, but am amazed at how little protein most people eat while on the trail. I try to at least get a little in each day via protein powder since it is so light and so tasty.
I eat protien throughout the day via GORP (Good ole raisns and peanuts...and M&M's)it keeps me goin, I also eat this for breakfast, as a quick start getaway(break camp).
I haven't been cooking breakfast, and prefer to hit the ground running...so to speak.

Rasty
07-11-2013, 11:08
Alternate Cereal with Nido and Milkshakes made from Nido, freeze dried fruit and Carnation Instant Breakfast. The shakes are perfect for when you want to eat on the go.

Namtrag
07-11-2013, 11:22
Instant butter-flavored grits with pieces of bacon jerky mixed in is a pretty awesome feast as well

Mr. Bumpy
07-11-2013, 12:08
Instant grits, dehydrated beans, and your choice of salsa or hot sauce.

whatnot
07-11-2013, 13:47
A Snickers bar and a bottle of water.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-11-2013, 13:48
I eat protien throughout the day via GORP (Good ole raisns and peanuts...and M&M's)it keeps me goin, I also eat this for breakfast, as a quick start getaway(break camp).
I haven't been cooking breakfast, and prefer to hit the ground running...so to speak.

Remind me to bring some extra packets of Snacktime's homemade GORP to the Batone trip. It's his own recipe, and great for a snack or mixed with instant oatmeal for breakfast. It's an 11yr old's idea of improving on a classic...and it's delicious.

rocketsocks
07-11-2013, 15:24
Remind me to bring some extra packets of Snacktime's homemade GORP to the Batone trip. It's his own recipe, and great for a snack or mixed with instant oatmeal for breakfast. It's an 11yr old's idea of improving on a classic...and it's delicious.Sounds great, I sometimes throw in a few pretzel pieces too.

Blissful
07-11-2013, 16:07
I am really liking the Belvita breakfast biscuits out there now. Come in several flavors. Wally world stocks them.

Sherpa Boy
07-11-2013, 16:07
Thank you for all the ideas I will see what is the lightest to pack

rocketsocks
07-11-2013, 16:16
Thank you for all the ideas I will see what is the lightest to pack

Well lightest would be to skip breakfast.....but i'm not recommending that :D Bon Appe'tit

Teacher & Snacktime
07-11-2013, 16:40
Sounds great, I sometimes throw in a few pretzel pieces too.
bring some along...Snacktime is always will to experiment with his favorite foods

johnnybgood
07-11-2013, 17:28
Bulgar Wheat #1, add some nido, dash of cinnimon and sugar. Ahh ...,Magnificent !

Teacher & Snacktime
07-11-2013, 18:41
what is nido?

Rasty
07-11-2013, 19:03
what is nido?

Whole fat powdered milk. It is in most Walmarts in the Spanish section. Tastes very good with cereal or mixed with other ingredients.

max patch
07-11-2013, 19:28
I've also seen it in the big boy size at Costco/Sams. But I stick with Carnation as it is healthier.

Wise Old Owl
07-11-2013, 19:49
Sounds awesome!

How about 4 hard boiled eggs with sea salt packets taped to the side.
Homemade Teriyaki (https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&hs=IH7&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&q=teriyaki&spell=1&sa=X&ei=I0LfUaWcLfXB4AP5j4GACQ&ved=0CCoQBSgA&biw=1600&bih=731) Jerky
Ziplock bag Omelets.

Broadbent shelf stable bacon... 4 oz

eat when you want....

Papa D
07-11-2013, 21:23
A Snickers bar and a bottle of water.

this is really a great post - - I eat this or a bag of un-cooked instant oatmeal with water (out of the bag) or both. If you hike for a couple of days, you'll still be into making gourmet pancakes and stuff (which is cool) but real long-distance hikers wake their ase up, drink some coffee, hit the privy, eat a snickers or two and go go go

Chair-man
07-11-2013, 21:57
Hello my dad and i are hiking the Georgia section of the AT. I was wondering what would be some good breakfast ideas that are light and tasty?

Not having grits for breakfast in the south is illegal especially in GA so be careful:D.
Seriously, the Quaker Oats brand instant grits with butter are great, use two bags. Nothing better than waking up on a mountain morning and having your white corn (that's what grits are you know).

Rasty
07-11-2013, 22:00

Not having grits for breakfast in the south is illegal especially in GA so be careful:D.
Seriously, the Quaker Oats brand instant grits with butter are great, use two bags. Nothing better than waking up on a mountain morning and having your white corn (that's what grits are you know).

What are yellow grits?

max patch
07-11-2013, 22:08
No self-respecting southerner is gonna eat instant grits. Stop at Waffle House on your way to the trailhead and make it last til your drive home.

Chair-man
07-11-2013, 22:20
What are yellow grits?

Grits can be made with yellow corn too. Here's what Wikipedia says about grits. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits)

Onedawg
07-11-2013, 23:14
What are yellow grits?

They are white grits with just the right amount of butter, y'all.

monkeyboy71
07-11-2013, 23:22
Grits are corny.
I have never seen Nido or tasted it but I will have a look on my yearly visit to Megalow Mart.
I like to crumble a homemade oatmeal raisin cookie into my oatmeal with maybe some more raisins. Instant coffee one of the really tasty brands like Medaglia D'oro instant espresso is a real boost.
Bacon heck yes, lots of ways to do bacon, pre cooked, dehydrated, I think John Wesley Powell ate a lot of bacon

monkeyboy71
07-11-2013, 23:23
Wow 8 posts, where have I been?

Dogwood
07-12-2013, 00:32
No self-respecting southerner is gonna eat instant grits....

They must have been magic grits. He got them from the same guy who sold Jack his bean stalk beans? I like my grits al dente.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-12-2013, 00:43
No self-respecting southerner is gonna eat instant grits.

Are these magic grits?

Downhill Trucker
07-12-2013, 04:29
Alternate Cereal with Nido and Milkshakes made from Nido, freeze dried fruit and Carnation Instant Breakfast. The shakes are perfect for when you want to eat on the go.

How do you do the shakes? Sounds interesting.

daddytwosticks
07-12-2013, 07:17
Krispy Kreame fried apple pie, hard boiled egg, hot coffee w/cream and sugar. Not light but gets my butt out of the sleeping bag! :)

Kerosene
07-12-2013, 07:27
Bulgar Wheat #1, add some nido, dash of cinnimon and sugar. Ahh ...,Magnificent !This provides an amazing surge of energy to get up that first hill in the morning!

BZ853
07-12-2013, 10:28

I take a blender bottle, I know its heavy and doesnt pack down, but its nice to have a real cup and it makes for mixing up powders really easy.

Rasty
07-12-2013, 11:12

I take a blender bottle, I know its heavy and doesnt pack down, but its nice to have a real cup and it makes for mixing up powders really easy.

At Home
1) Powderize Freeze Dried fruit in food processor.
2) 2 packets Carnation instant breakfast
3) 1/2 cup Nido
4) Mix in Ziplock bag

On Trail
1) 16 ounces water in Gatorade bottle
2) Pour mix into bottle
3) Screw bottle cap back on
4) Shake

Hikes in Rain
07-12-2013, 12:22
Bacon cheese grits. With bacon. Oh, and some cheese.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-12-2013, 15:30
This provides an amazing surge of energy to get up that first hill in the morning!

Just add boiling water and wait?

oops, wrong quote.....I meant this one:

Bulgar Wheat #1, add some nido, dash of cinnimon and sugar. Ahh ...,Magnificent !

how do you prepare it?

Armywife
07-13-2013, 14:28
Powdered eggs, a bit of powdered cheese and milk, some bits of jerky and dried peppers and onions; mix with water and cook. Omelets
Lean beef, minced, mixed with chopped fruit and nuts; shaped into bars and dried. Protein bars.
Couscous, dried peppers, jerky, and dried tomatoes. breakfast pasta

redseal
07-14-2013, 10:51
My breakfast staples:
2 Carnation Instant Breakfast milk packets and a Cliff Builders protein bar
or
Wrap with nutella and Honey Bunches of Oats cereal piled on top

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2013, 15:02
http://cdn.pennypinchinmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Pillsbury-Toaster-Strudels-Coupon.jpghttps://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRF1EytUH3oEgs6sVT3S-E6_J4o64F1IPTc7uHyw5xisxFKa3NE

Siestita
07-15-2013, 05:16
Like some others here, I'm a fan of NIDO. For those not yet familiar with that Nestle product, which is primarily marketed in Latin America, Nido is "leche entera"/"instant whole milk" powder. It's much tastier, than "non-fat powdered milk" and has more of the calories backpackers need. I use NIDO with breakfast cereal and also when making Knorr paste entrees (or Mac and Cheese) for dinner.

NIDO is sold in supermarkets (Krogers or Super Walmart in my area) , in the Hispanic foods section.

Another trick that I use to make breakfast cereal more interesting is to bring along some dried fruit, such as dried apricots, dried cranberries, raisins, etc. Each evening I put my next morning's dried fruit, abut a fist full, into a bottle with some water. Later the re-hydrated result is yummy, although it admittedly does not taste quite as good as fresh apricots, berries, or grapes would. Consuming dried/rehydrated fruit gets helpful fiber into my diet.

Siestita
07-15-2013, 05:25
For me, a hot beverage, usually hot chocolate, goes well with my unheated breakfast of granola-like breakfast cereal + milk made from NIDO + re-hydrated fruit.

Heating water for just the beverage is, time-wise, a compromise between eating completely "cold" vs. cooking oatmeal or something else.

Old Hiker
07-15-2013, 12:23
Krispy Kreame fried apple pie, hard boiled egg, hot coffee w/cream and sugar. Not light but gets my butt out of the sleeping bag! :)

I tried that, but the Krispy Kreme manager kept calling the cops to kick me off the front lawn. It didn't matter that I was in my tent, either, for some reason.

Seriously: poptarts at first, then poptarts with an Oatmeal to Go bar, plus a mug of coffee got me going. I liked mini-bagels with cream cheese as well if I was able to find them further north of GA.

staehpj1
07-15-2013, 15:05
When I have food from home or by mail drop... Breakfast burritos made with freeze dried refried beans, freeze dried eggs, freeze dried mushrooms, and freeze dried cheese are great. I get everything but the tortillas from Honeyville.

I also prepack oatmeal, sugar, Nido, and dried fruit; or sometimes grape nuts, Nido, fruit, and sugar

When I buy along the way, I use whatever I can find.

swofford
07-15-2013, 15:34
Fry summer sausage and put it on a bagel with cheese!! I even toast the bagel before frying the summer sausage

MuddyWaters
07-22-2013, 00:35
Whatever sweet things you like.
If you dont like it, you wont eat it.

Pop Tarts suck. It doesnt take long to get sick of them.

Cookerhiker
07-22-2013, 07:52
This...

Rolled oats, nuts, and dried fruit. You can eat it cooked or not cooked, with powdered milk or not....

Plus this...

Me too, but I also add cinnamon, salt, ....

Plus ground flaxmeal and a little brown sugar.

Monkeywrench
07-22-2013, 18:05
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRF1EytUH3oEgs6sVT3S-E6_J4o64F1IPTc7uHyw5xisxFKa3NE

Nutella Crescent Rolls? I never knew such a thing existed. I LOVE Nutella. Where do you find these things?

Wise Old Owl
07-22-2013, 20:40
Just thinking outside the box!

1 pack big and buttery crescents 1cup of nutella hazelnut spread

sugar
cinnamon to taste (optional)

1 preheat oven to 375
2 unroll crescents
3 warm up nutella
4 spread nutella onto crescents
5 roll and sprinkle on cinnamon (optional) and sugar
6 bake for 11-16 minutes or until golden
7 perfecto!! u

Grampie
07-22-2013, 21:11
During my thru-hike I ate instant oatmeal every morning along with coffee made with Folgers coffee singles. When it got warmer I would eat dry ceral with powdered milk.

amac
07-24-2013, 06:51
pop tarts carnation instant breakfast mixed with Nido and babybel cheese.

Another Kevin
07-25-2013, 17:31
If I have a shortish day ahead, so that I can dawdle a while in the morning, I find that muffins are a morale booster. I pre-measure Bisquick and powdered milk (the cheap stuff is fine, no need for Nido in this application) at home. I carry olive oil anyway, and it works as well as any other grease in the batter. I also carry an inch-wide strip of heavy foil, cut from a dollar-store cookie sheet, to coil in a spiral in my cookpot.

On trail: Drop the spiral in the pot, add water to just below the top of it, and bring to a boil. Take the ziplock with the muffin mix. Add the oil and just barely enough water to moisten the dry ingredients, and knead in the ziplock. Throw in a handful of gorp. Fill the foil cups 2/3 full and set them on the spiral. Cover the pot tightly and steam for 15 minutes or so until the muffins test done (knife stuck in them comes out clean). Pack up the sleeping bag and tent while waiting.

Ten times better if I found berries the day before! Warm blackcap or huckleberry muffins in the morning - mmmmm!

If I don't have time for that, then it's likely instant oatmeal, or a bagel with freezer-bag powdered eggs, or quinoa, Nido and raisins, or if I'm in a real hurry, just start noshing on whatever I've brought for lunch/snacks.

Oh, and if I can't have coffee I'm not going.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-25-2013, 20:39
Oh, and if I can't have coffee I'm not going.

Got that right!

Wise Old Owl
07-25-2013, 21:32
hmmm COFFEE CAKE!

VAC PACKED