PDA

View Full Version : Cool places/things to do in CHATTANOOGA???

MrMiner2
07-11-2013, 20:14
Suggestions please. Thanks.

Venchka
07-11-2013, 20:52
The most fun I have there is getting through at or above the speed limit and heading for the mountains. YMMV.

Wayne

MuddyWaters
07-11-2013, 20:57
All I know of is the touristy things.
I wouldnt call any of them cool, nor are you missing much if you dont do them.

I spent a week there when my daughter played at softball nationals a few yrs back.

The highlight of the week was an old woman at walmart not wearing pants, just underwear.

MrMiner2
07-11-2013, 21:03
More deetz on mountains?

Train Wreck
07-11-2013, 21:11
They actually have a very well-known aquarium: www.tnauqa.org/

Also if you like Civil War history, there is Lookout Mountain and Chickamauga: www.nps.gov/chch

upstream
07-11-2013, 21:18
Anna Ruby Falls, Rock City, Aquarium, Hunter museum of American art, River Walk.

or, if you want to hike:http://hikingchattanooga.com/

RyanK817
07-11-2013, 23:15
The Ocoee area, 45 minutes to an hour east of downtown Chatt has a ton of stuff, whitewater rafting/kayaking, a couple of nice lakes, and the Benton MacKaye Trail runs right through there. Eventually the Cumberland Trail will extend around Lookout Mountain near downtown. The Raccoon Mountain area about half an hour from the city has some great trails and camping spots. There are several good caves to explore in the area, most of them southwest of the city. There's a popular hang-gliding school at the top of Lookout Mountain down the road from Covenant College. Rock/Creek Outfitters puts on all kinds of outdoorsy stuff like trail races.

Gray Blazer
07-11-2013, 23:17
The Chattanooga Choo Choo.

nastynate
07-12-2013, 05:04
There is free live music every weekend. Miller Plaza on Friday night and Ross's Landing on Saturday night. The aquarium is great. River duck tour is cool, especially if you get the $5 groupon. Coolidge Park, Frazier Avenue, Walnut Street Bridge is a cool area to hang out and spend the day. Go to Rock Creek and Four Bridges Outfitters. Eat at The Terminal. Ride the free electric shuttle. Awesome Farmers Market on Sunday afternoons. See the Lookouts play baseball for $6. Go see whoever is playing at Track 29 that night. Walk along the River Walk. Stay at the Crash Pad hostel. Eat at Lupi's Pizza. Eat at Good Dog. Get some beer at The Terminal, Chattanooga Brewery, and/or Big River. If you want to get out of the city, head up to the North Chick Conservancy and hike up to some blue holes and get your swim on. Tons more to do depending on when you are planning on coming here. Let me know if you want any more ideas.

Tennessee Viking
07-12-2013, 08:58
The southern terminus of the Cumberland Trail is at Signal Point on top of Signal Mountain.

Drive through Cleveland and hit the trails & rafting center around the Ocoee Lakes. The BMT crosses at Thunder Rock Rec Area on US 64. Lots of wilderness area trails around the Cohuttas & Frogs.

Supposedly a nice loop trail at Prentice Cooper. Fierry Gizzard Trail.

Drive thourgh Cleveland, Murphy, Andrews to Robbinsville and jump on the Cherohala Skyway and drive back to Tellico Plains. BMT, Bald River Falls, and a number of forest service trails along the way.

Touristy things: The battle field. Lookout Mtn. Ruby Falls. Chattanooga Lookout game. Drive over to Lynchburg to Jack Daniels Distillery a MUST.

Deco
07-12-2013, 10:55
"Also if you like Civil War history, there is Lookout Mountain and Chickamauga:"

Lots of fun!!!! Especially Chickamauga

perdidochas
07-12-2013, 16:40

Tennessee Aquarium is great, if you like aquariums. My brother's family liked the Chatanooga Choo choo and Rock City, which are classics of old school road travelling.

chiefduffy
07-13-2013, 06:43

Every time I pass by there, I stay at the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel..sounds corny, but it's has a tremendous cocktail lounge you have to see to believe, and you can sleep in a luxury antique RR car. Just up the street (Market St) is Porkers BBQ - the ribs there will change your religion.

MrMiner2
07-13-2013, 11:13
Anyone going to old crow tonight?

Farr Away
07-13-2013, 11:56
Sunset Rock on Lookout Mountain.

There's also Cloudland Canyon State Park about 30 minutes from there in Georgia. Nominal ($5?) entrance fee if you're not camping. (You can stay in a yurt, cabin, or campsite.) We enjoyed day hiking there recently.
22696 22697 22698

The Ace
07-13-2013, 12:37
There's that famous view from Rock City. It's called See Seven Gasoline Storage Tanks.

RangerZ
07-13-2013, 20:57
International Towing & Recovery Museum

http://internationaltowingmuseum.org/ (http://internationaltowingmuseum.org/)