PDA

View Full Version : Lessons from the trail

danbo
07-28-2005, 21:13
It's been about 20 years since I spent much time on the trails. But I'll be retiring sometime over the next 2 years. And the trails. Especially the AT is calling me back.

I'm thinking of doing it in sections. Probably spending 1-3 weeks at a time on the trail and as much back at home every month or two. Though I would not get into and stay in as good a shape as a thru hike, I'm hoping I could avoid the hike becoming another job. Allowing me to recover. And by going slower, enjoying and savoring the trail. Any thoughts or recommendations of this approach vrs attempting a thru hike?

Secondly. though I've not been on the trail in a long time. And other than diving pretty much a coach potato right now. Many of lifes experiences has taught me things. When I ran, running taught me, the 1st few miles are always tough. But after that you start to enjoy the experience. You just have to get through those 1st few miles. Marathon training, taught me that if you feel real tired. That doesn't mean you'll feel tired after another mile.

I'm sure a long hike as the AT teaches many lessons. For those who have been there. What were the things you learned from the trail. Especially those lessons that would help us looking toward the trail.

Thanks all.

stupe
07-28-2005, 21:21
I envy you. Give me an email when you do the NY/NJ section.

Kerosene
07-28-2005, 21:23
What a great challenge you've laid out for yourself. Best of luck.

As a long-time sectioner, usually in 1-3 week sections annually, I've found that it takes me 3 days to get back into my stride, even if I'm keeping in good shape between outings. If you plan to do several outings a year, then let me suggest that your first outing be on the short side to shake out your gear and technique, and that the second section be on the long side (3-6 weeks) to get you into good shape. I don't think you'd lose too much if you could go out once a quarter (the AT is great in the Autumn, and winter is a beautiful challenge) and get to the gym in between to keep some semblance of shape. I've hiked some sections in the snow, many sections at the height of Fall color, Georgia in April to experience the mad rush, and a few in the summer with the bugs.

Also, as your age goes up it really helps to get that pack weight down. I carry half of what I did as a teen and I can walk 75% farther in a day and recover faster.

Let me know your schedule and perhaps we could get out together in the next year. I've done Georgia plus everything between Atkins, Virginia and Glencliff, New Hampshire.

Ridge
07-29-2005, 01:22
...What were the things you learned from the trail. ....
My husband initially wanted to do the AT in the same manner, after several years of doing weekender's and week long trips he made a decision to try and go as far as he could for as long as he could on the AT. He not only made it but even considered returning via the AT. He had met some SOBO hikers at Baxter and he really liked them, they almost convinced him to turn around and do it again. He says he wants to do a SOBO but do it with his RV near by, a slack packing type of trip. I think he wants to entertain as he hikes. He's also has been writing a book and this would give him the time and, possibly, some inspiration to complete it. But first, he's got to get off the PCT and head back east.

jackiebolen
07-29-2005, 14:05
Enjoy the moment, don't rush from shelter to shelter (as I did!) At the time, it sometimes seems monotonous and torturous but when you're done you'll remember it fondly! Have a great time.

Nameless
07-30-2005, 06:55
I started a SOBO at the head of the pack earlyer this year, every bit of me with the Georgia or Bust mentality. I thought it would take something worse than the world ending to prevent me getting to Georgia.

Boy, was a surprize to me that what I learned on the trail was that getting to Georgia just didnt matter. It was my time on the trail that mattered. I got off the trail, kinda early, at Stratton. I had a great time on the trail, but I relized that for this time my journey was done. The trail will always be there, and I am still extremely young. It just wasnt what I wanted at this point in my life. None the less, I cannot wait untill I start my NOBO in a couple years, whenever I get the chance. I found what I came to find, I did what I came to do, and I was done.

Pink
Twinkie

Icicle
07-30-2005, 12:42
I'm sure a long hike as the AT teaches many lessons. For those who have been there. What were the things you learned from the trail. Especially those lessons that would help us looking toward the trail.
I attempted a thru hike this year...does that count?

I will tell you what I learned anyway... :rolleyes:

1) don't fall for familial guilt trips!
2) it IS HARDER than you think!
3) My husband is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am lucky to have him!
4) People on the whole are really kind!
5) My step kids really do love me!

That's all I can think of right now....

TakeABreak
07-30-2005, 15:57
I know you are looking at only doing 1 - 3 weeks at a time, but why not do the whole trail at once and just go slow. Assuming you have some at home who can take of the mail and stuff, why not just go ahead and do the whole thing and go slow. Take a couple of days here and there just goof off, if you are married or whtever you could have your spouse meet you from time to time and spend a couple togehter and just keep on going, who cares if it takes you 8 months to do it all.

It would be easier physically than on you that way, getting off for a month or so and then getting back for 1-3 weeks seems to me like as soon as you are used to it again you would be going home. Because it takes 3 weeks for the body to fully adjust to carrying a pack, going up and down mountains and such every day.

Just my opinion.

The Hog
07-31-2005, 06:52
Adopt fitness as a lifestyle. Yeah, it's hard to get in shape, but once you're there, it's not nearly as hard to maintain. I'd wager that it'll make the rest of your life more enjoyable and will increase your enjoyment on the trail.

Learn to carry less stuff as you get older. Go as ultralite as you're comfortable with. Strive to reduce your pack weight every time you go out.

One advantage to section hiking is that you can pick your season. I'd go with mid to late Spring in the southern Appalachians, Fall in the mid Atlantic states, and summer/fall in New England.

For me, the main advantage of a longer hike is that all the distractions and annoyances of day to day life at home fall away after about 3 weeks on the trail. You reach a state that one hiker called 'deep within the Trail.'

danbo
07-31-2005, 14:35
I loved all the replies and suggestions. Being able to do different sections of the trail at optimum season. Though I understand I'll never be at optimum hiking fitness by not staying too long on the trail at any time, I hope I could get at least part way there by not staying off too long.

The Hogs observation, of taking 3 weeks to really get into the trail. And away from everything. Is something to consider. But I also want to do other things. Get the garden in good shape. Do more diving. As Nameless and Jackiebolen pointed out I don't want the trail to get monotenous by being in it too much. I don't want to go from one job to another. I want to go slow. Enjoy it. Take breaks and come back fresh to the trail and perhaps stronger as I had the rest. Getting to Maine other than to see it and experience it is nice. But not the reason to do it for me. To hike and camp in snow, for this deep south boy, is a bit intimidating yet intrigueing. Who knows hikerwife. I may do like your husband and at some point just get into it and decide to do the whole thing.

One of my lessons. Though from cycling in the Ozarks. On long steep climbs. When you start breathing too hard. Forget your pace. Tune in to your breathing. Your legs will fall into a pace dictated by your breathing. Rather than your breathing falling into the pace dictated by your legs.

mooseboy
07-31-2005, 15:24
One of my lessons. Though from cycling in the Ozarks. On long steep climbs. When you start breathing too hard. Forget your pace. Tune in to your breathing. Your legs will fall into a pace dictated by your breathing. Rather than your breathing falling into the pace dictated by your legs.

Too true. Often on the first days of my section hikes, my legs want to go much faster than my breathing will allow. It's only after about 3 days that the circulatory system catches up.