PDA

View Full Version : Binoculars

Marta
07-11-2013, 21:16
Do you have a favorite pair? A useless POS to avoid buying?

Broke mine today by leaving them on top of the car and driving off. Duh.

I do some bird watching but mostly use them for spotting distant mountain goats, bears, and the like.

Lightness and compactness are good. Moderate price also good.

Alligator
07-11-2013, 22:35
I bought a pair of Swift 8.5x44 Audobon binoculars 20 years ago for bird watching. Always been satisfied with them, these were recommended for birding due to the field of view. I use them for bird watching and they work well for spotting distant mammals, I used them out West for that. As with most binoculars too heavy for backpacking unless you are really committed to them. I take them dayhiking or on trips were weight isn't an issue. They are not exactly light and average size.

It can be hard to pick binoculars, it's like buying a camera.

Maui Rhino
07-11-2013, 22:39
Several years ago, I picked up a pair of Bushnell Banner 10x42 for about $100 after I dropped my Minolta 10x42's. They have reasonable clarity for the price, and are waterproof/fogproof. So far they have proven very durable and provide decent light transmission at sunrise and sunset. One of these days, I'm going to upgrade to the Nikon Monarch 7. At about $500, they are not cheap, but I got to try them once, and they are some really nice glass. A tad lighter than my Bushnell and very clear glass.

imscotty
07-11-2013, 23:01
Marta, I think that the Quality/Price ratio for binoculars has improved dramatically over the past few years. This is what I use for Day Hikes and Birdwatching...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003B2JF6E

I have been very happy with the quality of the optics in the Pentax above binocular for the price. Bright clear optics that compare well with much more expensive binoculars.

I do not care as much for my small 10x25 pocket type binocular (by Minolta). In fact on overnight hikes I sometimes prefer to lug around my Nikon SLR with 200mm zoom lens and use the camera for both pictures and viewing. Yah, its heavy.

Feral Bill
07-12-2013, 01:46
I have some Nikon 8x25 Waterproof binoculars which are very good for weigh size and price. When weight doesn't matter I use older Minolta 10x42s, which have better optics. You can, of course, spend some serious money if you wish, on high end glass.

Downhill Trucker
07-12-2013, 04:27
I'm looking for an ultra light set to bring on short backpacking forays. I have a great set for day hikes, but need a compact and light set. Trying not to spend much money either.

Swordpen
07-12-2013, 11:07
I have this monocular Carl Zeiss Optical Inc Monocular (5x10 T MiniQuick) this is a really really good moncular. Pricey, but I love it: weighs 0.7 oz, or 20 grams.

I bought this at Cabelas, its also at Amazon.

Franco
07-12-2013, 19:19
If you can, look through a binocular before you buy it. Get the one that looks best to you within your price range.
keep in mind that the more light it comes through the better it is (particularly in low light obviously but also for prolonged viewing. Think of reading fine print in sunlight versus candlelight)
Divide the front element (20mm) by the magnification (8). The resulting number is the diameter in millimeters of the light hitting your pupil (exit pupil)
8x20= 2.5 8x25= 3.1, that is 50% brighter....
Porro prism (offset design) are less expensive to make than Roof Prism (straight tubes) therefore often better value for money.
Cheap roof prism are often out of alignment from the factory giving slight double vision.
If when looking through by opening and closing the other eye you get a slightly different view, they are out of alignment (collimation)
That is why some people say they get headaches looking through binos.
(a bit like from 3D glasses)

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2013, 19:34
I discovered on the last hike that two of us had monoculars... as an avid raptor watcher,,, I am considering leaving it at home.

zelph
07-12-2013, 21:02
I use my binocs 90% of the time when I'm out roaming the woods. I've had a pair of these for the last 6 years and recommend them highly:

I recommend getting a harness also to carry them within easy reach.

Eagle Optics Binoculars and Harness (http://www.opticsplanet.com/eagle-optics-ranger-8x42-roof-prism-binoculars.htm)

Old Hiker
07-12-2013, 22:02
I worked at Wally for about 4.5 years as the Sporting goods manager. I NEVER paid full price for ANYTHING until I got some Nikon 10x25 5 degree camo Road Trip binoculars in. I looked down the aisle towards the grocery section and could read packages about 100-150 yards away. Not sure if they still carry them or not.

I think these are the same, just not " Road Trip". The reviews for the most part are accurate: there are only two caps, etc. Brenda; however, I'm not sure about. I like mine, but I'm NOT taking them on my next AT attempt. I carry them on most other trips, though.

One reviewer mentioned a 25 year warranty. I have to look that up. If true, not too bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-8230-10x25mm-Sportstar-Binoculars/dp/B00162MJU0/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1373680649&sr=8-12&keywords=nikon+10x25+binoculars

BradMT
07-12-2013, 22:36
Do you have a favorite pair? A useless POS to avoid buying?

Broke mine today by leaving them on top of the car and driving off. Duh.

I do some bird watching but mostly use them for spotting distant mountain goats, bears, and the like.

Lightness and compactness are good. Moderate price also good.

Leica 8x20 Ultravid no.1
Zeiss 8x20 Victory no. 2

I have the Zeiss... good little backpack bin.

Cheap and small don't work well... the shortcomings show immediately.

Marta
07-13-2013, 01:22
For better or worse, I've made my choice and placed the order:

Nikon 7541 Monarch 3 10x42.

Supposed to be tough, with a 25-year warranty. They're supposed to arrive on Tuesday.

imscotty
07-14-2013, 02:18
For better or worse, I've made my choice and placed the order:

Nikon 7541 Monarch 3 10x42.

Never used this model Marta, but I have always been impressed with the quality of Nikon Optics. Enjoy

BradMT
07-14-2013, 09:20
The Nikon Monarch is a very good bin for the money... really one of the very best at its price point. Personally I'd have gone with 8x42, but that's an individual choice.

Marta
07-14-2013, 10:04
The binoculars I broke were 10x, and I never thought they were too powerful, nor I did have a lot of problems with shake.

The new ones are due to arrive tomorrow. I just wish I'd had them for yesterday's hike to Apgar Lookout. It was spectacular, and there were some birds and animals I'd like to have gotten a better look at.

BradMT
07-14-2013, 17:38
The binoculars I broke were 10x, and I never thought they were too powerful, nor I did have a lot of problems with shake.

The new ones are due to arrive tomorrow. I just wish I'd had them for yesterday's hike to Apgar Lookout. It was spectacular, and there were some birds and animals I'd like to have gotten a better look at.

Marta, for me it's not just a question of "shake" but more importantly exit-pupil size (8x42 has a 5mm exit pupil, 10X 4mm) and the fact that an 8x has one less glass element... both those things add up to more light transmission (all thing being equal) and more relaxed (strain-free) viewing over extended periods.

Sometimes less is more, and all things optical/mechanical are a compromise... I just choose my compromise slightly differently.

But you made a solid choice for sure and I'm sure you'll find years of enjoyment with them!

Another great compact is the Nikon 8x20 LXL...

Franco
07-14-2013, 19:20
I had a look on line at those Monarch.Did that because of the "moderate" cost Marta mentioned.
Turns out that they are now less than half the price I used to buy them for wholesale (shop price) here in Australia.
Those are close in performance to the very best but at a fraction (now) of the price of say a Leica or Zeiss and similar.
Enjoy !!!

BTW, as Brad mentioned, the amount of light that hits your eye, apart from the bit on post N8, depends also on the type of coating and design used on the lens elements and prisms.
So for example two 8x20 can have a visible difference in light transmission. Often this is very obvious showing severe vignetting (darkening) at the edges of the viewing circle.

Marta
07-17-2013, 10:06
The Nikon Monarchs arrived yesterday. They are neither compact nor light, but the view through them is way, way better than the view through my deceased binoculars used to be, even when they were in their prime. I am going to greatly enjoy using this pair.

Arsenul
07-26-2013, 20:17
I like them, but I use this instead. Easier to use and less weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Carson-Bandit-8x25-Quick-Focus-Monocular/dp/B0000XOB7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366820629&sr=8-1&keywords=Carson+Optical+BA-825+Bandit+Monocular

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2013, 22:48
Nice find Arsenul (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?49377-Arsenul) !

Arsenul
07-26-2013, 23:24
Nice find Arsenul (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?49377-Arsenul) !

Thanks. I found it a while ago for my friend and instantly had to have one. It replaces my binoculars any day and is super useful.

Franco
07-27-2013, 01:31
Having sold binoculars for 30 years I always recommend to try a monocular before you buy because some don't find them at all easy to use particularly trying to find moving subjects.

marshbirder
07-31-2013, 22:20
I use my binocs 90% of the time when I'm out roaming the woods. I've had a pair of these for the last 6 years and recommend them highly:

I recommend getting a harness also to carry them within easy reach.

Eagle Optics Binoculars and Harness (http://www.opticsplanet.com/eagle-optics-ranger-8x42-roof-prism-binoculars.htm)

Link doesn't work, but I second Eagle Optics for good, affordable bins...and using a harness. You can spend $30 on a harness or go with L.L. Bean's for $9.95. I am an avid birder and avian ecologist and bought the latter before my field season this spring. Eagle Optics were my first binoculars, but I have a pair of Swarovski EL 8x32s now. I am planning a thru hike for 2016 or 2017 and I can't imagine being on the trail without them. They are quite heavy though, and also very expensive so I don't think they belong on a thru.

I would kill for Leicas, BradMT! The Nikon Monarchs are good from what I've heard, but it's too late for my opinion on that.

Marta
08-01-2013, 01:21
The more I use the Monarchs, the more I like them. They do take up some space in the day pack, though. But I can see what I'm trying to see, which is what I was hoping for.

SunnyWalker
02-28-2014, 12:19
Marta: I know you already bought your binoculars and this thread is a little dated. However, I would like to add my info. The binoculars I am going to list here are used by me during backpacking: Olympus 10 X 21 RC II WP binoculars. These are a compact pair, 7.70 oz., waterproof and affordable at $89.00 at REI. Your Nikons sound like something much better though.

~SilverBack~
02-28-2014, 14:04
And for those looking for binos, Amazon's deal of the day look pretty good at 60% off

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002008RVC/ref=aw_gb_dd_im_i1?di=A328LETUP36A47&dt=dd&pi=SL80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk