PDA

View Full Version : How to get to the trail head.

Armywife
07-11-2013, 21:26
On July 20 it will be 13 years since my son died of SIDS. I didn't know it until recently but that was the day I started being afraid. I used to do all kinds of crazy and fun things but a few weeks ago I realized I have been terrified of everything. I have wanted to thru hike for 5 years but wouldn't even start planning because I was afraid; of failing, of being murderized, of getting lost, of finishing it, of not finishing it, of doing it! Not just the trail, but in everything. So, I decided to stop being afraid. I am going to hike the trail and I am going to do it solo because I am a Tried and True, Red, White, and Blue, Damned Proud Army Wife, HOOAH! Not only that but I am going to go about doing it in an adventurous way! I have always wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle, but have been too afraid of getting hurt. So, I am buying a motorcycle, taking a class on how to ride it and maintain it then...THEN I am riding the bike to Maine (from Colorado) putting it in storage and taking a bus down to Georgia. After the hike I will ride the bike home. How crazy AWESOME am I? How do normal people get to the trail head?

Lone Wolf
07-11-2013, 21:35
awesome plan. take AMTRAK instead of the bus

moldy
07-11-2013, 21:38
Many people will fly to Atlanta and hire a shuttle to the trail. 20 July is a pretty late start North bound. Unless there is more to this story about you being a trail runner type super hiker you won't be making it to Maine before December. You will however be able to hike a South Bound thru-hike. Leave the bike in Ga and taking a bus or plane to Maine.

Lone Wolf
07-11-2013, 21:41
Many people will fly to Atlanta and hire a shuttle to the trail. 20 July is a pretty late start North bound. Unless there is more to this story about you being a trail runner type super hiker you won't be making it to Maine before December. You will however be able to hike a South Bound thru-hike. Leave the bike in Ga and taking a bus or plane to Maine.she didn't say she was starting july 20

slbirdnerd
07-11-2013, 21:52
You can SO do it Armywife! :) I learned to ride, on my own, and bought my first bike, on my own, 4 years ago (healing from divorce). Wind therapy is a wonderful thing, and so is hiking and backpacking. If you keep a blog or journal I would love to follow! I highly suggest Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA as a means to getting to Springer Mountain. Many thru hikers start their journey there and for good reason. You can stay for $18, breakfast is incredible, and they shuttle from the airport and to all points in GA. www.hikerhostel.com (http://www.hikerhostel.com). Make your reservation as soon as you have your date.

Armywife
07-11-2013, 22:42
Many people will fly to Atlanta and hire a shuttle to the trail. 20 July is a pretty late start North bound. Unless there is more to this story about you being a trail runner type super hiker you won't be making it to Maine before December. You will however be able to hike a South Bound thru-hike. Leave the bike in Ga and taking a bus or plane to Maine.

SORRY! I am starting the hike on March 21st of next year! I am starting a bit early, the trail books said it is easier to start a week early or later than the first of April which is the typical starting date. 7/20 is the anniversary of my sons death. :)

Armywife
07-11-2013, 22:43
You can SO do it Armywife! :) I learned to ride, on my own, and bought my first bike, on my own, 4 years ago (healing from divorce). Wind therapy is a wonderful thing, and so is hiking and backpacking. If you keep a blog or journal I would love to follow! I highly suggest Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA as a means to getting to Springer Mountain. Many thru hikers start their journey there and for good reason. You can stay for $18, breakfast is incredible, and they shuttle from the airport and to all points in GA. www.hikerhostel.com (http://www.hikerhostel.com). Make your reservation as soon as you have your date.

I will do this! I was wondering how I would get to the actual trail head! You guys are so awesome!

Armywife
07-11-2013, 22:44
awesome plan. take AMTRAK instead of the bus

OH I love trains! I used to work for Ringling Brothers Circus and lived on the train, I haven't been on one in years! What FUN!

hobbs
07-11-2013, 22:53
On July 20 it will be 13 years since my son died of SIDS. I didn't know it until recently but that was the day I started being afraid. I used to do all kinds of crazy and fun things but a few weeks ago I realized I have been terrified of everything. I have wanted to thru hike for 5 years but wouldn't even start planning because I was afraid; of failing, of being murderized, of getting lost, of finishing it, of not finishing it, of doing it! Not just the trail, but in everything. So, I decided to stop being afraid. I am going to hike the trail and I am going to do it solo because I am a Tried and True, Red, White, and Blue, Damned Proud Army Wife, HOOAH! Not only that but I am going to go about doing it in an adventurous way! I have always wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle, but have been too afraid of getting hurt. So, I am buying a motorcycle, taking a class on how to ride it and maintain it then...THEN I am riding the bike to Maine (from Colorado) putting it in storage and taking a bus down to Georgia. After the hike I will ride the bike home. How crazy AWESOME am I? How do normal people get to the trail head?
Sounds like a COOL way to start and end your hike. I could see no better way to stay free..

Gray Blazer
07-11-2013, 22:56
You are crazy Awesome!!

Meriadoc
07-11-2013, 23:54
Love it!
Must be 10 characters.

Slo-go'en
07-12-2013, 00:52
Just to be the practical person I am, I'm not sure driving a motorcyle to Maine in the middle of March is a good idea. Bikes are not seen much on the roads before the middle of May around here. Up till then, everyone is using thier snowmobiles !