PDA

View Full Version : smoldering campfires

Deco
07-12-2013, 10:34
I am sure that many of you, like me, come across smoldering or burning campfires. I always make sure to put them out completely when i come across them, sometimes to the detriment of my meager water supply. I thought it might make a nice thread to hear about times you came across a fire that needed putting out. Did you put it out, or did you just keep hiking? (Yikes!) Just for the record I am pro campfire

topshelf
07-12-2013, 12:14
I came across one at Chatfield shelter one morning and it was still in full flame, I was taking my school's AT Club up to the shelter. We had past the last hikers to leave the shelter about 10 minutes before going north on the trail. I was going to teach the kids how to build a fire and let them attempt it, so we put out the fire then let another one right on top. I guess they got to practice building a fire on wet ground.

It's the only one I remember coming across, but I don't really pay too much attention.

Hikes in Rain
07-12-2013, 12:31
I've come across a couple of smoldering ones, too. Always put them out.

Mr. Bumpy
07-12-2013, 13:24
Every situation depends on the situation.

TNhiker
07-12-2013, 14:00

agreed....

however, if it's just a small smoldering fire, and no fuel left on it, i'll just let it smolder down some more....

to me, if its in a fire ring and contained, i'd rather the fuel go to ash than to see half burnt pieces left over....

one thing i hate is coming into a campsite and see hall burnt wood (basically charcoaled) in the fire ring......

my thing is----burn up all that you put in.........if not, then dont put it in...

and even worse is seeing a huge log that has burn marks on it...........one that clearly would not be able to burnt up in a reasonable period of time.....

Pedaling Fool
07-12-2013, 14:05
Did you put it out, or did you just keep hiking? I stoke it.

Tipi Walter
07-12-2013, 14:31
I've seen it many times. Even came up on a burning fire in a high wind---the miscreants left long ago. The worst is finding a burning fire smothered in garbage---a loaf of wet bread, a wet shirt, booze bottles, foil, the works. It amazes me to think that the idiots have enough energy to get themselves out of the woods---and don't just fling themselves atop the fire and save themselves the hike out.

Grey Ghost
07-12-2013, 15:21
I can not stand to see litter and/or wood half burned or still burning. If they can not be more responsible, then they need to stay home until they can be. Go into the military, you will learn it very quick.

Deco
07-12-2013, 16:00
I thought this topic might provide some good comments and it has. Thanks

Deco
07-12-2013, 16:03
I too hate to see trash in a fire, I will usually burn what will burn and pack the rest out. Especially the aluminum foil which will not ever burn.

daddytwosticks
07-12-2013, 16:21
I've seen hikers urinate on smoldering fires. This is why I caution folks about cooking on open fires, especially around shelters. I've also seen some pretty gross stuff being burned in fires. I'm sure most here have seen the same. :)

perdidochas
07-12-2013, 16:36

Exactly. If it's barely smoldering, it's been wet, and it's in a good fire ring, I might leave it alone. More likely, I would just stir it up/spread it out. If water was close, I'd pour water on it.

The Cleaner
07-12-2013, 16:55
The only time I would put out a fire if it was during either the spring or fall forest fire season.Just letting one smolder a while will help deter gnats & other pesky bugs.Right now the forest floor is so wet that an unattended fire should be of little concern.However I probably would pack out the non burnable trash anytime.....

rocketsocks
07-12-2013, 18:25
The forest floor, largely organic leaf debris an fine roots (Duff), can burn like a smoldering carpet, and creep hundreds of yards before flashing back into a full blown forest fire...best to make sure they're completely out.

Blue Mountain Edward
07-12-2013, 21:20
I seen a few fires left burning. I emptied a water bottle on one to put the flames out. Only a caveman would depend on fires for cooking. Most people use a stove and leave no trace and don't have to waste time gathering sticks.

Raymond James
07-12-2013, 22:14
I watched a group of campers this past weekend leave a campsite with a fire burning still lots of fuel and trash burning in it. I put it out. As a teenager I saw a fire burning on the other side of the lake at a boy scout camp. It was a week or two before summer camp and the ranger was gone for the day. No one in camp that I was aware of . By the time I got to the other side to try and fight it was pretty big. Started fighting it about 5 pm and got it out cold about 4 am. Burned about two acres. From what I could tell someone had left a small smoldering fire that the wind kicked up. If not for the lake being there it would have been much worse. I think you put them out every time you find them.

chief
07-12-2013, 23:43
A forest needs a periodic burn.

rocketsocks
07-12-2013, 23:48
A forest needs a periodic burn.
yes, preferable controlled burn though.

Cherokee Bill
07-13-2013, 07:13
I've seen it many times. Even came up on a burning fire in a high wind---the miscreants left long ago. The worst is finding a burning fire smothered in garbage---a loaf of wet bread, a wet shirt, booze bottles, foil, the works. It amazes me to think that the idiots have enough energy to get themselves out of the woods---and don't just fling themselves atop the fire and save themselves the hike out.

X2 ....... Inexcusable ... to leave a fire smoldering .................. period!!!!!!

Snowleopard
07-13-2013, 11:42
The forest floor, largely organic leaf debris an fine roots (Duff), can burn like a smoldering carpet, and creep hundreds of yards before flashing back into a full blown forest fire...best to make sure they're completely out.
I came across a smoldering fire in duff a good distance from where some idiot didn't put a camp fire completely out. This was on a popular trail in the Adirondacks. There were half a dozen of us running back and forth to a stream with canteens of water till the rangers got there with real fire equipment.

TIDE-HSV
07-13-2013, 12:25
I've seen it many times. Even came up on a burning fire in a high wind---the miscreants left long ago. The worst is finding a burning fire smothered in garbage---a loaf of wet bread, a wet shirt, booze bottles, foil, the works. It amazes me to think that the idiots have enough energy to get themselves out of the woods---and don't just fling themselves atop the fire and save themselves the hike out.The worst situation like that I ever saw was the last campsite above Deep Creek, in the GSMNP, which is easily accessible from the campground. My daughter and I were pretty tired, having hiked down from Clingman's Dome, stayed at the bottom campsite on Forney Creek and then crossed both Forney Ridge and Noland Divide that day. We'd taken a wrong turn because I was relying on an old topo. Anyway, as we turned into the site, we passed a bunch of locals leaving. One of them shouted out that their fire was about burned down, but "you'uns" can probably get it started back up. Worst mess I've ever seen. They'd been fishing and there were fish skeletons, half-eaten fish and a couple of half-used packages of buns in the smoldering fire. We ended up cleaning it up and packing it out. I briefly considered hiking past them and sending the ranger back to get them, but they weren't carrying anything but fishing gear and probably could have made their escape before the ranger could get there...