PDA

View Full Version : Gloves and liners

Butterfly58
07-12-2013, 11:42
I'm wondering what I will need in terms of gloves and/or glove liners for my thru-hike next year. I live in FL so these things are not something I use regularly. In fact, pretty hard to find around here, so I will have to buy them online I'm sure. I have very small hands. I will be using hiking poles too. Ideas? Suggestions? What's on your gear list?

Mags
07-12-2013, 12:41
Forgive me for posting on the women's forum... :)

But, many people seem to be like the combo of a thin liner glove (fleece or wool) with a shell mitt of some sort.

This provides versatility in a broad range of conditions.

FWIW, I use a wool liner glove and OR Rain mitts in all four seasons be it backpacking or backcountry skiing. Others use different brands and models but is functionally the same as I what I use.

Good luck!

JustaTouron
07-12-2013, 14:31
Bit off topic, but if I were you I would not assume that someone else's packing list would work for YOU. Someone arriving in GA from the North in March might feel the weather is quite warm, while you are freezing. Figure you are going to need winter gear for about 20 or 30 degrees cooler than someone accumulated to winter.

jeffmeh
07-12-2013, 18:41
Like Mags, I prefer a liner with a overmitt. This effectively gives you four configurations (nothing, liner only, overmitt only, and both). I am very happy with the PossumDown gloves for the liner. Overmitts are available in goretex, eVent, and breathable cuben, but be aware that (IMO), "breathable" still keeps in much moisture.

Butterfly58
07-12-2013, 21:37
Thanks for the education :) I looked for possum down gloves. Looks like they can only be bought from NZ. Or do you know of something more "local"?

Mags
07-12-2013, 23:30
Fwiw I surplus wool liner gloves
http://www.pmags.com/gear-review-military-surplus-liner-gloves

these gloves are found in almost any surplus store .

The Ace
07-12-2013, 23:45
Since you plan on using trekking poles, you might want to consider a thin, lightweight rain over mitt. I use poles and i dislke having my hands exposed all day to rain, even when it's not cold.

da fungo
07-13-2013, 08:17
For glove liners, consider silk, such as made by Thermasilk. They're very light, relatively breatheable' and are enough for me when active on all but the coldest days. The one drawback is that they're not real sturdy.

jeffmeh
07-13-2013, 09:47
Thanks for the education :) I looked for possum down gloves. Looks like they can only be bought from NZ. Or do you know of something more "local"?

A quick google search showed a few places in the US, e.g., http://www.thecameleer.com/possumdown/possumdown-gloves-c-66.html

I have purchased them from NZ, with no issues. http://www.sheepskinstore.co.nz/en/cp/Gloves

Butterfly58
07-13-2013, 10:15
Ok, lots of suggestions. I really like what I read about possum down. Sounds so warm and comfy. Maybe those with an over mitt for rainy days would be perfect. I'm just worried because I have no chance to actually try them out beforehand. I have MS and always have problems with temperature extremes so I really want to be prepared.