PDA

View Full Version : Agricultural Pesticides and Fertilizers

lucky duck
07-12-2013, 13:28
I sometimes put in long days fishing streams and small rivers in Wisconsin for trout. I got tired of carrying 2 liters or more of water so I have started bringing my Sawyer squeeze filter. It works like a charm and the water I draw is nice and cool. But then I started thinking about agricultural pesticides and fertilizers from adjacent farm fields that inevitably flow to the adjacent water systems. I wrote to Sawyer thinking they would tell me I'm alright on this score. Unfortunately they could give me no such assurance. They said the filter takes out fecal contaminents (cow poop, etc.) but not pesticides and fertilizers.

So, how worried should I be to use the stream and river water? It seems to me that others of you have, or should have, the same concern.

Thanks.

Odd Man Out
07-12-2013, 15:34
The Sawyer is a particle filter. It removes particles as small as a bacteria (but not viruses, unless you get their better filter). But the pesticides and fertilizers are dissolved molecules and orders of magnitude smaller, and thus would not be removed by particle filters. Chemical (Chlorine/Iodine) and UV (Steripen) treatments kill microbes, and likewise won't take out dissolved molecules. The one thing that would work is an adsorption filter, such as activated charcoal. A disadvantage of these is they have a limited lifespan. They can't be backflushed indefinitely (like the Sawyer). I have seen in-line charcoal filter you could use with a Sawyer if you hooked up a hose/gravity system, but there is a weight penalty of course.

Hikes in Rain
07-12-2013, 18:59
The First Need filter is (I think) the only filter certified by the EPA as a "water purifier". It'll remove any contaminant. Downsides are that it's bulky, heavy, expensive and slow to filter. Upsides are that if you have to, it'll turn the nastiest water into cool, fresh water. For a while. I have one, and I'll keep it and update it as needed. But I really don't use it much, since most of the water on the AT is pretty pure, and only needs disinfection.

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2013, 20:28
Well Lucke Duck, not so lucky today.. There is tremendous amounts of regulation on farmers to prevent runoff... but please do not put trust in the regulation goverment... This is an on going war between insects and having a meal for the masses. The insects are winning.... Here is your fear factor. IT's Not called HOMICIDE> its called INSECTICIDE. Our nervous systems are different. SO if you want to continue to eat. Get over it.

Feel free to do your own research... It's not up to me to change your opinion

Pedaling Fool
07-13-2013, 09:44
Well Lucke Duck, not so lucky today.. There is tremendous amounts of regulation on farmers to prevent runoff... but please do not put trust in the regulation goverment... This is an on going war between insects and having a meal for the masses. The insects are winning.... Here is your fear factor. IT's Not called HOMICIDE> its called INSECTICIDE. Our nervous systems are different. SO if you want to continue to eat. Get over it.

Feel free to do your own research... It's not up to me to change your opinionInteresting point WOO. I don't think it's that simple (in the big picture) with all the various x-icides out there, but you do make a good point and I do know it's true is some situations. And as we go forward with this technology it'll get better, generally speaking. But today I'd be very worried about drinking from sources the OP mentions.

FWIW, I don't carry a filters/pills/solutions on the AT.

Pedaling Fool
07-22-2013, 15:19
IT's Not called HOMICIDE> its called INSECTICIDE. Our nervous systems are different.
I know what you're sayig WOO and a lot of insecticides are now that way, but not all. http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/07/22/who-had-asked-india-to-ban-toxin-that-killed-children/

Yes, I know it's banned in the U.S.

We're getting better, but still some concerns http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/human.htm

Slo-go'en
07-22-2013, 20:01
I suppose it depends. If your fishing in a small stream near a large industrial farm, I'd be a bit leary of drinking that run off. Or eating any fish which you might catch there :)

But if your off in the woods, well away from big farms, I'd drink the water for sure.

Hill Ape
07-22-2013, 23:34
wow, what an arrogant tick. op asked a simple question. is there a list of the members of the cabal here? which celebrities think its ok to talk down to other posters? we need to know these kinds of things. who are the trail heroes we should bow down too?