PDA

View Full Version : Bellvale Creamery

Askus3
07-29-2005, 08:00
I alluded to this thread on a post in the meeting NOBO hikers in the locating forum. Didn't know which forum to place this, but I am angered. When I was at the AT crossing of NY 17A, I met Mr. Cricket, Litmus & TreeTops. They asked me if the Bellvale Creamery was open. I answered sure - why do you ask? They pointed out a big X across the Creamery sign directing AT hikers to their store. Then written on the sign in Black lettering - "NOT HIKER FRIENDLY". It is located about .2 mile west of the AT crossing on NY 17A. I said that is nonsense.

Later on, I went over to Arden (NY 17 crossing of AT) and met Ratrace & GQ and got more of the story. This is based on a conversation between them and a Bellvale Creamery employee who served them. Apparently, there was some altercation between a group of AT thru-hikers and a couple of employees at the place. The hikers wanted to stay and camp on their grounds overnight and they refused them. So the hikers got mad. I have not spoke to the people at the Creamery, and there are two sides to most stories. So if anyone has more information to add as to actuallly what happened, please step forward. But until this incident, I have heard how nice they are and how they let you get water free to fill up water bottles. This is a dry area on the AT and that is why I deliver water to the Wildcat Shelter. However, they are within their right not to allow camping on their grounds. I also patronize this ice cream place and have found service to be good and friendly and their product is excellent. Also, the defacing of the sign obviously has an impact on AT hikers or Mr. Cricket woiuld not have asked me if they were open. This is a shame as AT hikers that want some snacks, beverage almost right on the trail can miss out on this opportunity because of this bad experience by a couple of backpackers. This type of experience also gives a bad name to AT hikers, so I am distressed over this incident, but I don't have all the facts. Maybe we will learn more.

Anyway, the Bellvale Creamery is open from 12 Noon - 9 PM (7 days a week) and their ice cream is super with an interesting assortment of flavors. Pleease don't camp on their grounds.

Kerosene
07-29-2005, 09:57
I just posted this message to the Bellvale Creamery website (http://www.bellvalefarms.com/contact.html):

I just heard, on the WhiteBlaze.net forum, about some sort of altercation between Appalachian Trail thru-hikers and your Bellvale Creamery employees that apparently arose when they were not allowed to camp on your property. While the story is still somewhat sketchy, I just want you to know that the vast majority of hikers despise this kind of behavior and actively argue to avoid the "thru-hiker entitlement" mentality that seems to hit some people. I sincerely hope that this situation is isolated and will not reflect poorly on those of us who recognize the value of establishments such as yours near the Trail. Please accept my apologies for the behavior of some of my fellow hikers and keep up the good work!
I'm not sure that it will make a difference, but if a bunch of us did this it might help to mitigate the impact of a few losers (who I'm sure thought they were in the right, and even may have a point, but obviously let the situation get out of hand).

SGT Rock
07-29-2005, 10:19
I sent one as well. Seems someone didn't listen to their momma when they were growing up.

Askus3
07-29-2005, 10:34
Never thought of that. I am glad you researched for their website. Nice gesture. Thanks, guys.