PDA

View Full Version : Air travel with the backpack..

EllieMP
07-12-2013, 13:38
Trying to figure out the best way to pack for the airplane travel. The rules have changed so much over the past few years and most things have to be checked in. How have you who have flown into Atlanta dealt with regulations and still have your pack in tack? My trekking poles are a main concern. I didn't want to mail boxes if possible. Thanks.. Ellie

Omaha_Ace
07-12-2013, 13:44
+1
I'm also concerned about my MSR fuel cannisters. I planned on purging them with alcohol prior to packing them - is that enough?

Can I pack my favorite knife in checked luggage without having it go missing?

Feral Bill
07-12-2013, 13:48
+1
I'm also concerned about my MSR fuel cannisters. I planned on purging them with alcohol prior to packing them - is that enough?

Assuming you mean bottles for white gas, likely not. TSA rules would permit bottles with no trace of fuel remaining, but airlines generally do not.

Firefighter503
07-12-2013, 13:54
I flew internationally last year with my backpacking gear and was worried about trekking poles, knife, etc. causing a problem in carry-on baggage. I ended up just checking my backpacking gear using a duffel (Navy sea bag) as a cover for my whole (packed) pack, with my trekking poles inside my pack. I put a padlock on the bag and had no problems. The duffel is cheap enough that you can donate it, trash it, or send it home when you get to your destination.

JustaTouron
07-12-2013, 13:55
Not sure about the fuel bottles. But as for the pack concerns (bent frame, torn straps and buckles etc) and the hiking poles.... consider picking up a very cheap suitcase at a yard sale that you can fit your pack and poles in, then discard it in Atlanta or give it to a SOBO that needs something to secure his/her pack for the trip home.

BobTheBuilder
07-12-2013, 14:17
As a frequent flier and a section hiker who flies with his pack for two hikes every year for the last several years, I know the subject well. The suggestions above are the right answers.

1. Check everything you can. Put your pack, your poles, and your other gear in a duffle bag or cheap suitcase and check them. Just because security let your buddy bring his hiking poles (or whatever) as a carry-on doesn't mean the TSA people on the day you fly will allow the same. Unless you're willing to dump it in the garbage can at security, don't take the chance.
2. You can't bring fuel with you in either checked or carry-on luggage. No way, no how.
3. The airline scans your checked bags for traces of volatile hydrocarbons like fuel. A used fuel bottle might set the sensors off. I have never had my jetboil or pocket rocket set them off, that I am aware of.
4. Any locks on your luggage or duffle bags must be "TSA Compliant", meaning that the TSA and the airlines have the special keys that can open them.
5. If the TSA does open your checked luggage for some reason, it is probably not a big deal. I have had my checked bags opened and inspected several times and never found anything missing. (They leave a slip behind telling you they opened and inspected it.)

EllieMP
07-12-2013, 14:34
Thank you all for the suggestions. They make good sense. I'll pick up a duffel bag before it's time to leave (end of March) and check it all in. Planning this hike is fun and I'm learning sooo much from the journals and forums. Keeping the weight down is my biggest concern. Did great with the gear. Now for those "little" things that add up the ounces to pounds..

jeffmeh
07-12-2013, 14:55
And if you are fond of the duffel, pack the shipping materials to send it back to yourself or a local friend.

Ox97GaMe
07-12-2013, 18:13
I too use the canvas duffle approach. I have sown patches from the various trails and national parks on it. The counter staff and security have been very helpful to me and often ask pertinent questions before the bag goes behind the counter for inspection/loading. It is also a great conversation starter when you get to your travel destination. I have gotten several free shuttles to/from airports and trailheads from other backpackers when they see the duffle full of patches.

I use an MSR Whisperlite as my stove. When flying, I have the empty bottle, with the cap off, in my pack. It needs to be washed thoroughly to eliminate any fumes before packing. Also make sure that your poles are collapsed as much as possible so that they do not stick out so as to catch on anything when on the baggage conveyers at the airports. I used to be able to take my hiking poles on planes as carryon, but have found it to be less hassle to just pack them with my backpack.

hikingshoes
07-12-2013, 18:38
+1

Can I pack my favorite knife in checked luggage without having it go missing?
You can mail them as long as there new canisters also on the outside of your box put ORM-D or Surface Delivery only this per Columbus ,GA. PO. Hope this helps and good luck!hs