PDA

View Full Version : Linden, VA Post Office

skippysjs
07-13-2013, 15:18
We will be shipping a food package to the Linden, VA post office and will be hiking southbound from PA in the future. In the resupply data (going northbound) on this great site is the following information.

"Hikers that don't want to deal with this hitch should be aware that just five miles after the 522 crossing, just past the Jim and Molly Denton shelter, it is possible to walk to Linden VA via a side trail that cuts off of the A.T. about 150 paces North of the shelter."

I did note in the A.T. Data Book that the Denton Shelter is at mile marker 5.2 and we will cross VA 638 at mile marker 6.3. Does anyone know if this trail is somehow marked or will we need to be careful that we don't miss it?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Studlintsean
07-13-2013, 17:32
If its the side trail I'm thinking of you cannot miss it on the left and I believe there is a chain going across the trail. Never been down that side trail but I think it would be easier to walk to 55 in linden (which you cross anyways) and make a right (going southbound) on 55. I have heard its fairly easy to hitch and if not, its not far (maybe a mile) on your right. Hope this helps.

skippysjs
07-13-2013, 19:59
If its the side trail I'm thinking of you cannot miss it on the left and I believe there is a chain going across the trail. Never been down that side trail but I think it would be easier to walk to 55 in linden (which you cross anyways) and make a right (going southbound) on 55. I have heard its fairly easy to hitch and if not, its not far (maybe a mile) on your right. Hope this helps.

Thank you!

DeerPath
07-14-2013, 11:33
[QUOTE=skippysjs;1501123]We will be shipping a food package to the Linden, VA post office and will be hiking southbound from PA in the future. In the resupply data (going northbound) on this great site is the following information.

"Hikers that don't want to deal with this hitch should be aware that just five miles after the 522 crossing, just past the Jim and Molly Denton shelter, it is possible to walk to Linden VA via a side trail that cuts off of the A.T. about 150 paces North of the shelter."

I did note in the A.T. Data Book that the Denton Shelter is at mile marker 5.2 and we will cross VA 638 at mile marker 6.3. Does anyone know if this trail is somehow marked or will we need to be careful that we don't miss it?

Thanks for any help you can give![/QUO

Stay on A.T. to Tucker Ln & RT 55 (John Marshall Hwy), turn right (South) 1.2 miles to Linden Post Office.
Across from P.O. is a General Story where you can resupply a few things you might need, or just get a drink.

I lived in Linden, VA 22 years.
Happy Trails

Coffee
04-04-2014, 10:44
Has anyone done a small resupply at the Linden Monterey Convenience Store listed in AWOL's guide? This is supposed to be next to the post office. I'm thinking that sending a package to Linden isn't going to make much sense for my Rockfish Gap to Carlisle section hike. I'm only starting with about 7 pounds of food at Rockfish Gap since I can supplement easily at the SNP waysides. When I get to Linden, I will have just over a day of hiking before reaching Bears Den where I plan to stay overnight, have dinner, and purchase snacks for the next day into Harper's Ferry. So all I would need at Linden is to buy dinner for one night, breakfast for the next morning and enough snacks to get to Bears Den. That seems to hardly justify a mail drop so I'm thinking the convenience store might be adequate. If the convenience store is very limited, I may choose to just add another couple of pounds of food leaving Rockfish Gap to get me to Bears Den. Any thoughts on this?

QHShowoman
04-04-2014, 12:27
You mean the Monterey Service Station? It's right on 55. It's kind of small, but you might be able to stock up on enough snacks to hold you over.

Coffee
04-04-2014, 12:39
You mean the Monterey Service Station? It's right on 55. It's kind of small, but you might be able to stock up on enough snacks to hold you over.
Yes, I think it is the same place mentioned in AWOL's book. I've driven by it many times but never stopped. I might be going on a weekend day hike in SNP and might check it out on the way back.

HikerMom58
04-04-2014, 12:40
https://localcontent.zenfs.com/de83/de833b3fc2d2db2f6e4fd964bb2ec485.jpg

Here's a visual of the store if that helps...

QHShowoman
04-04-2014, 12:42
I stopped in once en route to a hike. I think I got annoyed because they didn't have greek yogurt.
#firstworldproblems