PDA

View Full Version : And now some hiking pics...

Mags
07-29-2005, 11:45
Or what I did in Colorado by Paul Magnanti. :)

Numero One:

A full moon hike of Longs Peak. This 14er is almost always crowded as it is in Rocky Mountain National Park. Do it starting at midnight during a full moon, though, and there is no one! Woo hoo!

Simply awesome. Hiking under the stars, above treeline, with a full moon? Cool! Made for some interesting navigation challenges near the end..but oh so worth it. Seeing the sunrise over the plainsw with alpenglow. Gotta love it. Packed in a thermos and some coffee cake for everyone. A little breakfast at 14300'. :) Had the summit to ourselves for well over an hour. That NEVER happens on Longs Peak in July! What a memorable night!

Made it back down...have been up for 30+ hours. Was a bit tired! :)

Pics: http://gallery.backcountry.net/co05?&page=29

Numero Due:

A hike I have been wanting to do for a while is the Maroon Bells loop. This class loop goes over 4 mountain passes, is 26 miles and almost 8k elev gain. Normally a 3 day backpacking loop, I wanted to do it as a dayhike. :)

There were essentially 5 groups of us. 2 groups doing the classic loop of 26 miles. 1 group doing "bonus mileage" of 4 passes, 30 miles and ~10k elev gain (decided have to see an alpine lake!), a climbing group and a relaxer group. We all started at different times and ended at different times as well.

The scenery was by far the best I have ever seen in Colorado! The wildflowers were unbelievable.

Naturally my camera died a mere 1/2 hr into the trip. :( Waaah! Luckily my friends sent me some pics.

Anyway, it was a most awesome day. Some of the backpackers were a bit astounded when a few of us said we were doing this loop in a day. Suspect they thought we were crazy. They are probably correct. :D

In any case, one of my favorite hikes I have ever done. Want to do it again! Was just simply awesome.

Pics at:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/maroonbells05

Off to Target today to get a new camera... I miss taking pictures! :)

chris
07-29-2005, 19:30
Damn, Mags. You're making look like a little sissy. Not that that takes much doing these days.

neo
07-29-2005, 21:42
awesome pics mags:cool: neo

Mags
08-01-2005, 12:08
Damn, Mags. You're making look like a little sissy. Not that that takes much doing these days.

Naaah...it was only two days, with lots of rest in between.

I'll have to post some pics from yesterday soon (New camera!)

We went to an area where the local tribes built stone walls for the purpose of hunting elk. Some of these walls are well over 1000 years old. Rather cool. Would not even have known they were remnants of walls unless the book we had pointed it out. Was right on the Continental Divde. Quite cool indeed...

robin31
08-01-2005, 18:02
Pretty pics...you have second sight!

LEGS
08-02-2005, 00:31
Hey Mags, Great Pictures Man, To Bad Your Camara Went Ka-poot So Soon, But Ya Friends Did Good For Ya. Know Ya Had A Great Time, Keep On Keepin On Man. See Ya Sometime Out There. Many Thanks For Sharing Man.

MedicineMan
08-02-2005, 01:07
i bet when you were on top of Long's you could look down and see the snake like progression of flashlights all the way up.
Brought back memories of my
RMNP experience which included wimpy ones like Hallet Peak and Flattop Mountain...did walk just a wee bit of the CDT though.
Awesome pics though and thanks for sharing.

Mags
08-02-2005, 11:03
i b
RMNP experience which included wimpy ones like Hallet Peak and Flattop Mountain...did walk just a wee bit of the CDT though.

That was my first real hike in Colorado. (Flattop and Hallet). Was a great day!