PDA

View Full Version : thoughts and questions after getting off the trail after 1400+ miles

mainebob
07-14-2013, 09:44
My daughter “Sassafras” and I started a northbound A.T. thru hike attempted 3/21/13. We made it to Fort Montgomery NY on 7/2/13. At that time we took 3 days off due to a foot infection that Sassafras has in both her feet. We attempted to hike on 3 days later and she felt terrible. I knew she needed more time off and have her feet heal up. We went home and saw her Doctor. She needed to be off her feet for at least 2 weeks with antibiotics and foot soaks. At that time we decided that her hike was over. We would not have been able to be back at a reasonable time to start school and just as important she felt she was done. She was ready to be home. She is such a level headed kid, she is proud of what she accomplished and still talks of being a triple crowner some day but has no desire to continue this year.

I tried to get back on the trail and continue the hike but it did not feel right without my daughter. I wanted to be home with my family. Now I am trying to get back to work as soon as possible. The trip was expensive. We took more zero's than I had imagined due to the wet/cold weather and the desire to warm up and dry out our gear. I believe Sassafras's feet would have not got as bad if her feet were not soaked for days at a time.

I don’t considerate my self a deep thinker, but I am now trying to get my mind around the last 4 months and what to make of it. I do not know if or when I could attempt another thru hike, I know that it could not be with my daughter, she is such a strong hiker we would need to hike different hikes. I also wounder what to think about a 2/3 thru hike and what that means. I know I as very blessed to have been able to try this and to spend 4 months on the trail with my daughter, I just with it was more enjoyable for her.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. Kaboose

kayak karl
07-14-2013, 09:54
you got to hike 4 months with your daughter. you are blessed. how many dads can make that claim. don't complicate it. celebrate it.

Colter
07-14-2013, 10:00
you got to hike 4 months with your daughter. you are blessed. how many dads can make that claim. don't complicate it. celebrate it.

That's the way to look at it! I think you will both look back fondly on your hike for the rest of your lives. That's a good thing.

Pedaling Fool
07-14-2013, 10:09
There are a lot of ingredients that go into a quality life, but a major ingredient is health. You two, for all intents and purposes, have completed the trail, at least with respect to physical fitness. Don't lose that, like so many do, don't become one of those chubby hikers at a hiker reunion. Take up running, cycling, whatever, because healthy body as you age is key to quality life.

If you maintain your fitness there will be many more enjoyable days left hiking with your daughter, made more enjoyable by your improved health.

Just Bill
07-14-2013, 10:17
1- You are a lucky enough father, that you have a child who was willing to spend 4 months with her dad. 2- You are even further blessed that this time was spent hiking 3-you just hiked 2/3rds of the greatest backpacking trail on the planet with someone you love 4-you are a fantastic father 5-you have a daughter smart enough to hike, and wise enough to stop 6- the trail will be there next summer too 7-One in four hikes fail, but you haven't failed- you just had to take a long break! See you next summer!

hikerboy57
07-14-2013, 10:29
Hey kaboose I first met you and sassafras at Springer Mountain. you have something wonderful to celebrate. I can't tell you how many times running into you and sassafras simply made my day. to see her beautiful smile and the love you shared was just incredible. there is a lot of love both on and off the trail as well as up and down the trail for you and your daughter. so many have followed your journey. it was a privilege to hike with you. hope to run into you again someday. best of luck with your transition off trail. I'm still digging catholes

my first day on the trail
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/8/4/8/1/dscn0471_thumb.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=55950&catid=member&imageuser=28481)

my last day on the trail

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/8/4/8/1/dscn0906_thumb.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=55929&catid=member&imageuser=28481)

Bronk
07-14-2013, 15:20
You hiked 1400 miles. Off the trail, how many people have you ever met that can say that? Even fewer kids can say that. I made it 850 miles, and 11 years later I can tell you that people are every bit as amazed at someone saying they walked 850 miles as they are with someone claiming to have walked the whole trail.

Sly
07-14-2013, 15:32
It's no lie when I say you have the best of the trail left. With less than 800 miles to go you could probably finish in two months, partially this summer, next summer and/or the year after.

rocketsocks
07-14-2013, 15:40
My daughter “Sassafras” and I started a northbound A.T. thru hike attempted 3/21/13. We made it to Fort Montgomery NY on 7/2/13. At that time we took 3 days off due to a foot infection that Sassafras has in both her feet. We attempted to hike on 3 days later and she felt terrible. I knew she needed more time off and have her feet heal up. We went home and saw her Doctor. She needed to be off her feet for at least 2 weeks with antibiotics and foot soaks. At that time we decided that her hike was over. We would not have been able to be back at a reasonable time to start school and just as important she felt she was done. She was ready to be home. She is such a level headed kid, she is proud of what she accomplished and still talks of being a triple crowner some day but has no desire to continue this year.

I tried to get back on the trail and continue the hike but it did not feel right without my daughter. I wanted to be home with my family. Now I am trying to get back to work as soon as possible. The trip was expensive. We took more zero's than I had imagined due to the wet/cold weather and the desire to warm up and dry out our gear. I believe Sassafras's feet would have not got as bad if her feet were not soaked for days at a time.

I don’t considerate my self a deep thinker, but I am now trying to get my mind around the last 4 months and what to make of it. I do not know if or when I could attempt another thru hike, I know that it could not be with my daughter, she is such a strong hiker we would need to hike different hikes. I also wounder what to think about a 2/3 thru hike and what that means. I know I as very blessed to have been able to try this and to spend 4 months on the trail with my daughter, I just with it was more enjoyable for her.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. KabooseI think you already have your answer.

rocketsocks
07-14-2013, 15:43
There are a lot of ingredients that go into a quality life, but a major ingredient is health. You two, for all intents and purposes, have completed the trail, at least with respect to physical fitness. Don't lose that, like so many do, don't become one of those chubby hikers at a hiker reunion. Take up running, cycling, whatever, because healthy body as you age is key to quality life.

If you maintain your fitness there will be many more enjoyable days left hiking with your daughter, made more enjoyable by your improved health.
And this ^....health is everything, no doubt about it, if you don't have it...you got nothin!

atmilkman
07-14-2013, 15:51
I too met you up on Springer the day you started and you story is and will forever be a classic. It was a total pleasure to follow along. I think you two will hike together many more times.

jesse
07-14-2013, 16:23
Stop thinking. You are the envy of dads everywhere.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-14-2013, 16:26
Perhaps you don't realize how big a deal this is to those who have not accomplished such a thing. Four months with an older child is such a gift. Yes, they love you into adulthood, but that is not the same as the day to day contact and closeness you inevitably lose with their adulthood. You will likely never have such an opportunity again, and should cherish it....as I'm sure you do. Did you complete the trail....who cares? You may or may not ever complete it...may or may not repeat the attempt at a thru-hike. It is ultimately unimportant. You have your daughter, and the best of the memories will survive long after superficial regrets have faded. Such a lucky dad.

The trail is not the journey....only the pathway.

Rasty
07-14-2013, 16:54
Stop thinking. You are the envy of dads everywhere.

Yes he is.

Ladytrekker
07-14-2013, 17:05
To note an old cliché "Its not the destination its the journey" I would give anything to have 5 more minutes with my Dad (RIP) so as said above just celebrate the time you had its not a failure to not reach Kathdyn so don't look at it that way.

Canada Goose
07-14-2013, 19:35
I can't tell you how many times running into you and sassafras simply made my day. to see her beautiful smile and the love you shared was just incredible.

And it all comes through on the you-tube videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mainebob6363/videos

mainebob
07-14-2013, 19:35
Thank you all for the kind replies. The support and feedback is much appreciated.

Cherokee Bill
07-14-2013, 19:38

INDEED, words of Wisdom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

liberty lover
07-14-2013, 20:01
Watching you and your daughter hike was a blessing to me.I have three children with a daughter similar in age to yours,and it is a joy to get them on the trail whenever possible.You are truly blessed for those four months and I thank you for sharing your adventure with us.I would have loved to see the videos from my native Pennsylvania,but what you gave us was tremendous.I hope your daughter heals quickly.Thanks again.

waterman1148
07-14-2013, 20:08
I'm jealous to be honest. I only get to hike with my boys for one full week a year and several long weekends. My suggestion would be to stop thinking of it as a failed through hike and start thinking about the wonderful section hike you just completed. Finish the trail WITH HER one day.

Del Q
07-14-2013, 20:09
Maybe this is just a starting point, great hike, take time to reset..............

Sailing_Faith
07-14-2013, 20:13
Nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with 4 months of time invested in your daughter.... Yes you are the envy of dads, but she got a wonderful gift too.

very very cool.

slbirdnerd
07-14-2013, 21:08
The trail is not the journey....only the pathway. Absolutely this. You both have so much to be proud of, and if you ever want to, you can always finish. You will still be 2000-milers. This is going to sound very silly, but I felt let down on a much, much smaller scale when my hike in GA didn't pan out. (Not let down by Cody, or myself, just let down by circumstances.) After months of planning, getting priceless advice from you and everyone here on WB, my 78 mile hike ended up being a whopping 12.3. But I hiked it with Cody and we created memories we will never forget. It only took me a couple times saying to myself "my 10 year old hiked over Sassafras Mountain with me" to smile and think about what a unique opportunity that was. We even talked about Sassafras and how she earned her trail name there! :) I'm not giving up on the trail, but we learned backpacking isn't for Cody at this time. My next hike will be different, but I will carry those memories of my first 12 miles along with me. We wish both of you all the best, good healing in your feet and hearts, and happy hiking wherever and whenever you go.

Driver8
07-14-2013, 22:15
I agree with what others have said, mainebob. It hurts that you had to stop short of your goal, but two things are true, and fortunate:

1. You spent a great time together on a wonderful trek, and

2. You have some awesome A.T. you can share together, as convenient for you. The Whites. The Greens. Maine. Greylock. Bear/Sages/Everett/Race/Jug End. It's a smorgasbord of great hiking there, whenever you two want. On your own schedule. Not forced. Not all day at all, I'd say. :)

Driver8
07-14-2013, 22:16
Not all *bad*, meant to say.

T.S.Kobzol
07-14-2013, 23:30
Many have to go home because of physical/medical reasons even later into the hike. You are one of those many. No need to dwell on this particular reason. It could have been you later into the hike in NH or Maine. You never know. Some things are out of our control...

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

Feral Bill
07-15-2013, 00:21
You have given your daughter gifts beyond price and beyond your imagination. Savor it.

Half Knot
07-15-2013, 07:21
Start with the fact that you hiked about 6 times the length of the John Muir trail, and how many people complete the JM and consider themselves a failure? Add in you are 1400 miles ahead of folks like me, who have yet to even section hike one piece of the AT. My 14 year old and I have a someday goal of section hiking just the CT/southern MA section of the AT, and here you've done 2/3 of the full trail. I wish I had the time and money to complete with Olympic Archer (my 14 year old) what you and Sassafrass have done. You are truly an awesome inspiration.

speedbump
07-15-2013, 08:03
Congratulations ! You hike all the way to NY, more than most will ever dream of. I hope when I start next March that I make it that far. You can always finish a section at a time.

RCBear
07-15-2013, 09:46
In this case, I believe the true story lies in the lifetime memories that were forged in 4 months of just Dad and Daughter time. You can't just buy those memories, they must be lived. And you did. Coming from a father of two girls, congratulations on several fronts to both of you.

Trevor Lord
07-15-2013, 10:34
That is an awesome experience to have. My father and I have dreamed of hiking the trail together and it would mean more to me to be able to make it half way with him than complete the trail on my own.

mainebob
07-15-2013, 11:20
I just have to tell everyone that I was sitting here with Sassafras and she calculated that with the miles we hiked this trip and the fact we have hiked all of Maine together (she did not count the New Hampshire miles because a lot of them were day hikes,her call) we only have 463 miles to complete the trail together. This is. Now her new goal. She has such a great view on life. So with this new goal all is good and the adventure continues.

hikerboy57
07-15-2013, 11:29
I just have to tell everyone that I was sitting here with Sassafras and she calculated that with the miles we hiked this trip and the fact we have hiked all of Maine together (she did not count the New Hampshire miles because a lot of them were day hikes,her call) we only have 463 miles to complete the trail together. This is. Now her new goal. She has such a great view on life. So with this new goal all is good and the adventure continues.
hey sassafras---WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!

you too,kaboose

mainebob
07-15-2013, 19:19
hey sassafras---WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!

you too,kaboose

Right back at ya, Hikeboy!

Praha4
07-15-2013, 23:07
Bob: what a beautiful story..... I think it will take you some time to get your mind around your hike with your daughter and what it meant to both of you. With some time home to heal up and rest up, my guess is both of you will want to get back on the trail as soon as possible. You still have lots of years to hike again, with or without your daughter. Take some time off, talk it over with your family, and when you are ready, you will know it. Best of luck to you and your family. thanks for sharing your story.

Cookerhiker
07-18-2013, 17:29
You've had an experience that you'll cherish for the rest of your life...

...especially if this works out. Good luck!

Namtrag
07-18-2013, 17:35
You got to spend more time with your daughter than most father's do in their whole lifetime. I am jealous and envious and at the same time I am so happy for you that you got to do something so rare. This trip will be something that can never be forgotten or taken away from either of you. You both should be proud of yourselves and realize how much you accomplished in spite of the cold damp weather. Thumbs up and congratulations!

hikerboy57
08-06-2013, 08:33
great to see sassafras and kaboose back on the trail together again
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/6/2/8/6/p8030175.jpg

http://sassafrasandkabooseatadventure.blogspot.com/

Symba
08-06-2013, 11:47
I always enjoy what 'just bill' has to say. Being able to hike with your daughter is wonderful in itself. I can only wish my daughter would do that with me; I'd drop everything to do a thru hike with her. In retrospect of your 1400 miler (flipped and finished later). I did the same. I came off the trail in 2000 with foot injuries; both swelled. My kidneys shut down I was told recently. I went back on the trail three years ago. I wanted to do two months NOBO but found it very difficult to be away from loved ones and especially, my dogs. My, now ex fiancé, told me she was jealous and pigeon holed me to death to get me back home after two weeks; including saying I was cheating, with what? a wood chuck? Anyway, she is my ex and my father will be watching my home when I leave again in two or three weeks; depending on a doctor suggestion. The psychological stress of leaving the trail is something no one can compare. Keep on talking here to your hiking community friends; it helped me a lot. I was disgustingly depressed letting go and seeing my hiking friends go NOBO when I had to take three weeks off. The trail will ALWAYS be there for us. Feel free to ring me up if you need to talk. I have recently educated myself and combing nature with psychology with my degrees. I love natural benefits. ~Symba.

hikerboy57
08-06-2013, 11:51
best cure for the getting off the trail blues is getting back on the trail, together!

RED-DOG
08-06-2013, 11:53
Don't feel ashamed you made it alot farther than most ever thought of, feel grateful you had the time to spend with your daughter and besides you guys can always come back and finish, but my question is did and your daughter you have fun.

hikerboy57
08-06-2013, 11:55
Don't feel ashamed you made it alot farther than most ever thought of, feel grateful you had the time to spend with your daughter and besides you guys can always come back and finish, but my question is did and your daughter you have fun. they are back on the trail

RED-DOG
08-06-2013, 12:01
Yeah i kinda figured they would be, and besides when a person or persons hiked that far it's really hard to quit.

hikerboy57
08-06-2013, 12:26
Yeah i kinda figured they would be, and besides when a person or persons hiked that far it's really hard to quit. tell me about it I only like 500 miles and didn't want to get off. The longer I am out there the longer I want to stay out there

HikerMom58
08-06-2013, 12:38
tell me about it I only like 500 miles and didn't want to get off. The longer I am out there the longer I want to stay out there

HB... sounds to me like you need to make a thru hike happen!! :cool: I know you said something about hiking in ME soon.:D

TWO questions for ya.. 1) Are you still planning on ur no plan for ur thru hike next year?? 2) Are you still digging cat holes in ur backyard? Ha ha!! :)
If you do pull out a thru-hike next year... you will be the most scrutinized thru hiker in 2014... you'll be doing it all wrong!! ;)

Good to see the father/daughter team back on the trail... you're just AWESOME Sunshine!!

hikerboy57
08-06-2013, 12:44
im attempting my thru hike beginning mid march. thinking about taking the bmt though and meet up with the at later on, as ive already done the section, and getting off the ridge and into the backcountry would be cool, as well as get me away from the caravan.
i'll be hiking my own hike, and i'll take it one day at a time

HikerMom58
08-06-2013, 13:00
im attempting my thru hike beginning mid march. thinking about taking the bmt though and meet up with the at later on, as ive already done the section, and getting off the ridge and into the backcountry would be cool, as well as get me away from the caravan.
i'll be hiking my own hike, and i'll take it one day at a time

I'm sure you will have fun no matter what you decide to do. Hope things are well with ya. The weather is absolutely beautiful in VA right now.. no to low humidity... it's unbelievable!! :D

Teacher & Snacktime
08-06-2013, 19:26
CONGRATULATIONS ON BEING BACK ON THE TRAIL !!! I wish I had known the Kaboose/Maine Bob name connection before we met in New Hampshire....things would have clicked together better. Anyway, it was very nice meeting you both and I hope the rest of your hike goes well! Check out the gallery for the pics we took.

nu2hike
08-06-2013, 23:16
I just saw on YouTube that they got off the trail again after 3 days of hiking due to Sassafras's problems with her feet.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-07-2013, 01:03
I just saw on YouTube that they got off the trail again after 3 days of hiking due to Sassafras's problems with her feet.

Oh well....you guys tried! Just watched the video...thanks for the mention of the trail magic..hope you get back to it someday if you decide you want to.

QuabbinHiker
08-07-2013, 01:10
Maine Bob - congratulations on having the time to spend with your daughter. That is rare in todays degrading society. Be proud that you are a good father and hiking buddy. The next time you try to thru hike, take heed the lessons of this failed thru hike! The trail speaks to you if you allow it to. Do not be mad or bitter about this experience. Be happy about it. Focus on the good times you had on the trail while you were on it. The trail will still be there when you are both ready to try again.

hikerboy57
08-07-2013, 07:56
hey, sassafras!! hope your foot heals fully.proud of you guys. like quabbinhiker says the trail will be there when you're ready to return.
kaboose, great job this year,see you on the trail!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCjIGXmNLUo&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_z9zvIRLDXKXmL-AsJOtFAhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCjIGXmNLUo&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_z9zvIRLDXKXmL-AsJOtFA

Pedaling Fool
08-07-2013, 11:10
I don't know if your daughter (Sassafras) looks in on this thread, if she doesn't I hope you relay to her to keep up the physical activity despite being off the trail. It is the BEST way to heal, the body does NOT heal well by just sitting around, it must be worked. I do know the issue with foot pain, I had some really bad pains in 2006, luckily they went away by Damascus, but I do remember having some really uncomfortable nights.

Running is a good way to keep the feet strong, but if it's too painful now, at least do something, like weightlifting and cycling...Do not let your efforts on the trail go to waste.

SawnieRobertson
08-07-2013, 11:39
Perhaps you don't realize how big a deal this is to those who have not accomplished such a thing. Four months with an older child is such a gift. Yes, they love you into adulthood, but that is not the same as the day to day contact and closeness you inevitably lose with their adulthood. You will likely never have such an opportunity again, and should cherish it....as I'm sure you do. Did you complete the trail....who cares? You may or may not ever complete it...may or may not repeat the attempt at a thru-hike. It is ultimately unimportant. You have your daughter, and the best of the memories will survive long after superficial regrets have faded. Such a lucky dad.

The trail is not the journey....only the pathway.

And even nicer, you and Sassafras shared it with us. I had no idea who that young woman was who arrived with her dad and plopped down on a log in front of Cable Gap Shelter, but she was obviously quite composed. She was cheerful. She did not freak out about the heavy muscled pitbull mix dog, Lulu, who was moving around. (My daughter, Western Bluebird, was less sure of Lulu.) You two set up your sleeping quarters and came down to the fire for supper. That is when you and I talked, as we prepared our suppers at the shelf on the side of the shelter. You explained that the whole thing was Sassafras's dream, how you had made arrangements with her school for her to be "out" that long, how you felt the need personally to do the trail now because you felt that you were aging or would soon. Even then you were certain that this was a moment to grab in your daughter's life. She will be back there again, be sure of that. And, if you are slower, she will slow down for you. The rule is to hike the pace of the slower hiker. Don't doubt her. At the right time, she will see to it that both of you complete the trail.