PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Conservancy Meeting

Dogwood
07-14-2013, 11:35
Is anyone attending the Conference? It's being held in Cullowhee NC between July 19-26. This is a chance to further immerse ourselves in the AT by going behind the scenes a bit so we can understand more of what has to occur in order for each of us to enjoy this "ribbon of hope" we call the Appalachian Trail. Lots of great events will take place(talks about the geology, history, etc, of the AT, hikes, trail maintenance classes, trail related issues, etc) and lots of AT trail supporters and hikers will be in attendance. Here's yet another opportunity to support and gain a greater appreciation for the AT. See you there.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/who-we-are/events/2011/07/26/atc-cullowhee-2013

Sly
07-14-2013, 11:38
I'm going/goofing off.

Dogwood
07-14-2013, 11:57
I figured you'd be there prolly be the one collecting parking fees, directing traffic, hanging out around sucking up all the coffee, or something to that effect.:D

Pedaling Fool
07-14-2013, 12:30
Well at least they have "- All dorm rooms equipped with air condition", that's always important when bunch of outdoor enthusiasts meet up to ejoy "Lovely mountain setting".

Have you hugged a coal miner today, if not, at least you support the coal industry ;)

Dogwood
07-14-2013, 13:04
If that was specifically aimed at me PF I'll be tarping. I support the cuben fiber cottage hiking gear manufacturers.:D

Pedaling Fool
07-14-2013, 13:09
No, not a shot across your bow; I'm a big picture person.;)

Besides I wouldn't really worry about it, because California will probably ban fires on their beaches, so as usual we got them to thank for making up for our environmental sins :D http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/12/california-officials-tried-to-ban-beach-bonfires-because-global-warming/

Dogwood
07-14-2013, 13:21
What Cali needs is another actor-actress Governor. :) I'm hoping Snoop Dog gets elected!

Dogwood
07-14-2013, 13:21
How about Rupaul? LOL

Rasty
07-14-2013, 13:49
What Cali needs is another actor-actress Governor. :) I'm hoping Snoop Dog gets elected!

Couldn't be any worse then what they have had.

Sly
07-14-2013, 15:23
I figured you'd be there prolly be the one collecting parking fees, directing traffic, hanging out around sucking up all the coffee, or something to that effect.:D

Yeah, something like that. ;)

Jeff
07-14-2013, 15:38
Not attending but would really like to know why the ATC Executive Director as well as the Chief Operating Officer both resigned this year. It may be for purely personal reasons but it's not been well communicated to the members.

Ox97GaMe
07-14-2013, 20:30
I will be there, but only on the weekends. Some of us still have day jobs. lol

Marta
07-15-2013, 00:08
Well at least they have "- All dorm rooms equipped with air condition", that's always important when bunch of outdoor enthusiasts meet up to ejoy "Lovely mountain setting".

Have you hugged a coal miner today, if not, at least you support the coal industry ;)

I assume they'll be housing people in the dorms, the newer ones of which are quite swanky. (One of my sons went there.) You can't expect college students to live without a/c, can you?

Cosmo
07-15-2013, 16:08
Not attending but would really like to know why the ATC Executive Director as well as the Chief Operating Officer both resigned this year. It may be for purely personal reasons but it's not been well communicated to the members.

I'm headed down on Friday, my furthest penetration of the South to date (yall still speak english down there, dontcha?)

The former COO is now the interim ED. Definitely sad to see Mark leave. He was "up from the ranks" (so to speak) of volunteers to a leadership position--this perhaps(?) may be why he departed so abruptly--not fitting well with the current management atmosphere? Don't know for sure, hope to find out more this weekend. I'm co-leading a couple of workshops and signed up for trail work on Monday. Hope to see some WB folks there.

Cosmo

Pedaling Fool
07-16-2013, 08:40
You can't expect college students to live without a/c, can you?Of course not, that would be too brutal. I do think all them college students need a cool retreat to bitch about all the problems in this screwed up country.

:)

moytoy
07-16-2013, 08:50
I assume they'll be housing people in the dorms, the newer ones of which are quite swanky. (One of my sons went there.) You can't expect college students to live without a/c, can you?
My second daughter graduated from Western Carolina on an Indian Scholarship. It's been awhile but I don't think she had air conditioning when she was there.

Cookerhiker
07-16-2013, 09:18

I'm curious too. I noted that Steve Paradis had resigned as Chief Operating Officer and now he's back as Acting Executive Director? Something's going on.

Anyway, I won't be attending - just returned from a trip to Iceland and heading out to California in 2 weeks to finish the JMT.

ki0eh
07-16-2013, 09:57
For those attending the biennial meeting next week, check out the Monday evening workshop (W2262) on the GET led by Tom Johnson, GETA President. One topic: "Can I thru-hike it yet?" Possibly someone there will be able to answer from personal experience!

Dogwood
07-16-2013, 10:03
Anyone heading there from the Atlanta area?

Marta
07-16-2013, 10:07
My second daughter graduated from Western Carolina on an Indian Scholarship. It's been awhile but I don't think she had air conditioning when she was there.

My son's first year there, he lived in an older dorm, without a/c. Then he moved into a brand new building, with swanky suites for the kids.

Snicklefritz
07-16-2013, 10:19
Anyone heading there from the Atlanta area?

Several GATC members will be heading there. Make sure to drop by our booth and say "Hey" -- I'll be helping out on Sunday morning.

Dogwood
07-16-2013, 10:30
I'm looking for a.ride. I'm willing to share some costs. I'm in Alpharetta. Do you know anyone I can contact?

Sugarfoot
07-17-2013, 16:02
I'll be there. Great opportunity to catch up with old friends. I had to abort my thru-hike this year because of knee problems. The day hikes at the Biennial will give me a chance to test a custom knee brace the doctor ordered.

Sly
07-17-2013, 17:19

I'm curious too. I noted that Steve Paradis had resigned as Chief Operating Officer and now he's back as Acting Executive Director? Something's going on.

Anyway, I won't be attending - just returned from a trip to Iceland and heading out to California in 2 weeks to finish the JMT.

Actually I believe Steve was let go (Mark retired soon after), then rehired to be acting director. Not sure what his role be now that they named a new director.

Sly
07-17-2013, 17:25
I'm looking for a.ride. I'm willing to share some costs. I'm in Alpharetta. Do you know anyone I can contact?

Emailed via Whiteblaze

I'll be passing nearby in the morning.

Blissful
07-17-2013, 22:08
Hope everyone has a good time. Will sadly miss it this year...working...

Cosmo
07-24-2013, 12:41
Had a nice visit down South. Cooler than New England was last week for sure. Met Ron Tipton the new ED, and he gave a brief speech at the general meeting. Seems like a good guy, gets the whole volunteer thing, and has some definite ideas about the direction of the Conservancy.

Spent Monday at Telico Gap with some of the local trail maintainers doing side hill and cribbing until we got chased down by some heavy rain--still got some mud on my boots, how can wet dirt be sticky and slippery at the same time? Did you know they actually have to go out and look around in the woods to find rocks to make crush/fill with?

Cosmo

Another Kevin
07-24-2013, 15:32
Spent Monday at Telico Gap with some of the local trail maintainers doing side hill and cribbing until we got chased down by some heavy rain--still got some mud on my boots, how can wet dirt be sticky and slippery at the same time? Did you know they actually have to go out and look around in the woods to find rocks to make crush/fill with?

Look for rocks? Gadzooks! What sort of impossible hills are these?

daddytwosticks
07-24-2013, 16:09
Had a nice visit down South. Cooler than New England was last week for sure. Met Ron Tipton the new ED, and he gave a brief speech at the general meeting. Seems like a good guy, gets the whole volunteer thing, and has some definite ideas about the direction of the Conservancy.

Cosmo Hiked from Tellico Gap to the NOC on Sunday. Noticed all the survey tape on the trail going directly north out of Tellico Gap. Assumed it was for some upcoming trail maintenance. Thanks for all you do. :)