PDA

View Full Version : Where is the place to meet up with Hikers in NJ

Baby Blue
07-29-2005, 12:01
After my attempted thru hike this year turned into a series of section hikes, I have found myself once again off the trail for physical therapy for my knee. I've been in NYC with my parents and hope to meet up with my boyfriend on the trail when he gets to NJ and hike with him into NY to see if my knee will hold up before he/we? flip up to Maine.
Any idea's on an easy spot to meet up? Parking lots, picnic areas, towns, road crossings?
I'd more than likely be getting a ride in so any help with where to meet him would be great.

Kerosene
07-29-2005, 12:13
If you plan to test your knee out then it would be nice to do it on an easy section of trail, and one where you can get out to a road quickly if need be. What about meeting him at High Point or just outside of Unionville? The 30-mile section from there to Vernon crosses a number of roads with nearby houses, with only one relatively short climb of Pochuck Mountain.

Baby Blue
07-29-2005, 13:39
I was thinking somewhere around the Delaware Water Gap might be a good spot, so I can get at least a week of hiking in before I make a deciscion on Maine. How is the terrain around the area North of there to around Bear Mtn, NY?

Kerosene
07-29-2005, 16:03
Needless to say, it's a good climb out of the Water Gap to the crest of the Kittatinny Ridge. It's reasonably level along much of the ridge, but it's also pretty rocky. You're passing roads with reasonable frequency outside of several beautiful and more isolated areas. It is more difficult that the NJ/NY border, but if you can do that section then you should be fine until perhaps the climbs/descents around the Hudson River.

gumball
07-29-2005, 19:03
Baby Blue, when is your trip?

neo
07-29-2005, 21:55
delaware water gap recreation area a great place to meet:cool: neo

Baby Blue
07-30-2005, 09:01
Baby Blue, when is your trip?
I'm not 100% sure yet, it depends on when Chopstick gets to NJ. He's around Boiling Springs, PA right now (I think).

A-Train
08-02-2005, 12:24
I'd go with the suggestion of High Point North, as the terrain is gentle and there are tons of roads.

The DWG is conveniently located right off I-80 but as mentioned, the rocks of Pennsylvania extend into JERZ for the first 44 miles and can be a tough place to get back on after injury. The first few days in NY are no walk in the park either.

Good luck!

Air Head
08-03-2005, 01:43
I walked a section of the Kitatinny Ridge July 28-30. I started at Culver's Gap and ended at High Point. It's only 16 miles, but it was pretty rocky, and coming from an injury, I'd highly discourage it. I think A-Train's right: Meet up at or north of High Point. : )

Baby Blue
08-03-2005, 02:11
Thanks for all the suggestions :)
Tomorrow I have that fateful appointment with the Orthapedist, but I'm feeling great about it. Pain is gone and hopefully I'll be out on the trail in a week! I'm still planning on taking it slow for the 10 days we'll be out until we get picked up at the Palisades Pkwy by my parents for a few days off (again) in NYC before Chopstick (and hopefully me too) goes to Maine. I worked out an ittenerary with an average of 10 mpd and that should be mild enough not to aggrivate the injury.
As it turns out the decision on where to meet up has been made for me. I no longer have a ride to the trailhead so I'm taking a bus to Delaware Water Gap. There is no public transportation to High Point that I'm aware of at least.
So, wish me luck with the MD tomorrow and thanks again.

Baby Blue
08-09-2005, 23:22
Well, after an MRI and 2 visits with the orthapedist the diagnosis is fluid buid up inside the bone. The doctor discribes it as a "pre-stress fracture" and while he encouraged me to not hike, I am stubborn and discussed some other options with him. In the end we decided, low milage, new insoles, knee brace and extra careful on downhills.
Tomorrow I board a bus for Delaware Water Gap and will test it out with a 10 day hike to the Palisades Parkway Information Center. Woohoo! Can't wait to be back!

Air Head
08-10-2005, 10:04
Sounds good -- be careful out there! :)

Sorcerer
08-11-2005, 13:43
.....that section doesn't include that decent down "Agony Grind" in NY. That was pretty tough...it gave me knee pain this year! I ended up eating Vitamin I for the rest of the way to Hanover because of the section of NY south of the Hudson river. :datz