PDA

View Full Version : Gsmnp

nu2hike
07-14-2013, 15:57
This will be my next hike on the AT. How does this part of the trail compare to the section from Springer to Fontana in terms of terrain and difficulty? Thanks

illabelle
07-14-2013, 16:35
I'm still missing 80 miles from Neels Gap to Winding Stair, so I can't speak for those miles. Except for that, we're done all the way to Hot Springs. We did the Smokies - in two sections, downhill from NFG, because we're weak and slow and lazy. The descent to Fontana was long, but not so steep as Jacob's Ladder a few miles south - not half so steep! The descent to Davenport Gap at the north end seemed longer, and had more big steps, which can be hard on the knees. There's a steep hill north of Rocky Top - sorry don't remember the name of it. Other than that, the Smokies is 50 or so miles of ridgewalking, mostly gentle to moderate slopes. In some places the "ridge" is little more than a 4-foot wide path from peak to peak, dropping off steeply on both sides.

Not sure when you're going, but please be prepared for temperatures to be at least 10* cooler at 5000' elevation than it is in towns nearby.

Be sure you're up-to-speed on all the backcountry rules for the Smokies, permit, shelter reservation, no tenting unless the shelter is full, etc. Lots of discussions on here about that. If you need that info, just let us know, and we'll direct you to a thread or two ... or twelve.

Pedaling Fool
07-14-2013, 16:46
Almost as easy as SNP, and that's easy.

Ox97GaMe
07-14-2013, 20:21
If you are hiking North through the Smokies, you will have a few climbs that will match some of the climbs you have done in GA and NC. You will be mostly on the ridgeline, so it isnt too bad hiking once you get past Mollies Ridge. The 6 miles between Spence and Derrick Knob is the hardest section of AT in the Smokies. It would compare to the section between Hawk Mtn and Woody Gap.

Most thru hikers are completing the park in about 5 days. That equates to the following:
2 days+ partial day Fontana to NewFound Gap
2 days + partial day NewFound Gap to Davenport Gap

HooKooDooKu
07-14-2013, 23:31
Check out this thread... there's a terrific link to an elevation profile for the entire GSMNP section.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?96618-GSMNP-My-next-section-hike-!

Specifically, here's the link:
http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/gsmnpat.html

fredmugs
07-15-2013, 07:40
Almost as easy as SNP, and that's easy.

Even I wouldn't go that far. :) I did it SOBO bit either way it's pretty much a nice effort climb getting in and that's about it. Very enjoyable hiking. Cake compared to Georgia.

TIDE-HSV
07-15-2013, 13:03
Is Double Springs to Thunderhead, specifically I'm thinking of Derrick Knob southbound, graded now? It's been a long time since I last did it...

Omaha_Ace
07-15-2013, 14:01
Even I wouldn't go that far. :) I did it SOBO bit either way it's pretty much a nice effort climb getting in and that's about it. Very enjoyable hiking. Cake compared to Georgia.

This is good to know.

Dogwood
07-15-2013, 14:25
The AT through SNP is easier than the AT through GSMNP. Thru-hikers know it and hence many are ready at that pt in their thrus to amp up the MPD and do bigger MPDs.

nu2hike
07-15-2013, 21:06
I'm no thru hiker! IMHO section hiking may be harder! At least physically!! Mentally, I believe thru hiking may be a greater challenge! Each time I get on the trail the first few days are tortuous! Just about the time I get my trail legs it's time to get off the trail!:(
I try to train as best I can before each trip but its difficult when you live 342 ft above sea level to get yourself trail ready! :)
Springer to Fontana was tough at times.I hope the Smokey's prove to be less challenging!

MuddyWaters
07-15-2013, 22:39
Each time I get on the trail the first few days are tortuous! Just about the time I get my trail legs it's time to get off the trail!:(
I try to train as best I can before each trip but its difficult when you live 342 ft above sea level to get yourself trail ready! :)
Springer to Fontana was tough at times.I hope the Smokey's prove to be less challenging!

Hmmm.
Expect it to be similar. Its really all the same. Mountains, trees, rocks, roots.
And maybe a view once or twice a day.

Drop your pack weight, and step up your cardio training, and do some resistance training too, and it all should be a breeze, relatively speaking.
Lots of people can come off the sofa, and do multiple 20 miles days without issue.
Theres no secrets, and they arent gifted.

nu2hike
07-15-2013, 23:45
Most of them aren't 60 yrs old either!
I walk 3-5 miles 6 days a week and workout at the gym 3 days a week! My problem isn't cardio it's my joints!!!
I've gotten my pack weight down to 23# with 7 days of food!
I average 10-12 miles a day on the trail, but like I said those first few days are tough!

Dogwood
07-16-2013, 01:11
"I'm no thru hiker! IMHO section hiking may be harder! At least physically!! Mentally, I believe thru hiking may be a greater challenge! Each time I get on the trail the first few days are tortuous! Just about the time I get my trail legs it's time to get off the trail!":(

Yeah. I tend to agree. That's often the way it is. Gotta deal with it. Take it slow at first....

"Springer to Fontana was tough at times.I hope the Smokey's prove to be less challenging!"

I think Ox97GaMe, gave ya a good run down of what to expect on the AT through GSMNP. He works there(volunteers for GSMNP) doing trail maintenance(including on the AT) so I think he gives good solid succinct recommendations. Talking about it or beating the discussion to death doesn't make it easier on the bod!

Omaha_Ace
07-16-2013, 09:05
If you are hiking North through the Smokies, you will have a few climbs that will match some of the climbs you have done in GA and NC. You will be mostly on the ridgeline, so it isnt too bad hiking once you get past Mollies Ridge. The 6 miles between Spence and Derrick Knob is the hardest section of AT in the Smokies. It would compare to the section between Hawk Mtn and Woody Gap.

Most thru hikers are completing the park in about 5 days. That equates to the following:
2 days+ partial day Fontana to NewFound Gap
2 days + partial day NewFound Gap to Davenport Gap

What are the best / worst shelters between Fontana and the Dome?

Dogwood
07-16-2013, 10:39
I don't have the AT shelter link but someone here will post it. It' been posted on WB before. It tells you all kinds of AT shelter beta. Could be valuable for ya Omaha Ace.

Ox97GaMe
07-16-2013, 18:59
Omaha,
All the shelters in GSMNP have now been renovated, so they are all practically identical. Each of the shelters got slight improvements as they were built (sort of like a lessons learned or what can we improve on).
I like the extensions out the front vs. on the side, so from that perspective I would say Mollies (second shelter renovated) is a step below the others.
Mollies and Russell do not have privies, so that may put them lower on the list than others.
Russell is the latest renovation on the AT and has clear fiberglass roofing to allow for a LOT of sunlight and a great view of the stars as you lay on the top bunk. Which puts it high on my list.
Spence is a short hike from some very nice berry picking opportunities in season (blackberries, blueberries, wild strawberries)
Derricks has a really nice meadow that attacts a lot of wildlife (deer, turkeys, bears, racoons, squirrels, etc) for great viewing opportunities.
DoubleSprings is just average. The benefit of staying there is that it makes for a relatively easy day of hiking into Newfound Gap.
Silers is a short hike to the bald where you can get some great sunrise/sunset pics.
Collins is close to a trailhead (.5 miles) and gets a lot of dayhiker traffic.

all the shelters have good water sources this summer. In dry years, Derrick, Double Springs, and Collins are the only reliable sources of water.

Any other specific questions???

Omaha_Ace
07-17-2013, 09:45
Ox97GaMe - this is perfect - thanks for taking the time. Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks for the shelter reservations for my dates to be available!