PDA

View Full Version : AT Guide Books

MinnesotaRambler
07-14-2013, 17:35
I want to start doing some backpacking on the AT and was wondering how much does the information in the guide books for the trail change from year to year? I was thinking about purchasing the AWOL guide book by David Miller. I do most of my backpacking in the midwest but like to start to explore the AT in the coming years. I'm just not to sure when I will be able to afford a trip to the east.

BZ853
07-14-2013, 19:58
It changes a touch year from year. Mainly with business' info which would change year to year but it would help to buy this years version and then buy the more up to date one when you actually go on your hike. I read his and m using it to plan roughly where Ill be each week and where Im going to resupply at.

tarditi
07-15-2013, 09:47
Some things like facilities' details may be adjusted, too water points may change based on water levels (a stream may become intermittent, for instance), privys may be added by local conservancy clubs, etc.

The miles between shelters should be pretty constant, though.

Coffee
07-15-2013, 11:13
I'm looking for a AT guidebook that lists out appropriate camping locations relative to landmarks (trail junctions, road crossings, water sources, etc). There is so much information on the AT out there but I have yet to find a good comprehensive source of places to tent along the trail. I personally don't like shelters or even being in the vicinity of shelters but at the same time passing up shelters has been somewhat of an adventure on a couple of trips since I never really know where I might end up for the night. But maybe that's part of the fun... and on the two trips I've taken I have found places each time.