PDA

View Full Version : Zpacks HexaNet Bug Shelter

dmax
07-15-2013, 10:28
When I drove up to Trail Days I had a few questions for Joe. On one of my questions he explained why he quit making the hexanet. But then told me he was working on one that he would have out shortly. So I've been checking his site on and off ever since. And I just noticed today he has the new one on there.

Unfortunatly I have just the hexamid tarp,... because he's making/selling this for the dimensions of the solo plus. .. Maybe he will modify for the smaller tarp?
http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexanet.shtml

Coffee
07-15-2013, 11:09
Check out Stick's blog for a review of the new Hexanet: http://sticksblog.com/2013/07/13/updated-zpacks-solo-plus-hexanet/

I have the Hexamid Twin and like the space and the mesh floor hasn't been a problem for me (so far). But I do like the modularity of the hexanet + Solo Plus combination. I would have given that combination a lot of thought if it had been available when I purchased my Hexamid a few months ago.

q-tip
07-16-2013, 09:31
The Hexanet and tarp are almost $700-19 oz. OUCH.......

The Ace
07-16-2013, 09:39
The Twin is $510 and the "all in" weight is 19 oz. Never had a problem with the mesh floor either

Starvin Marvin
07-16-2013, 13:45
The Hexanet and tarp are almost $700-19 oz. OUCH.......

I'm seeing the Hexanet and Hexamid Solo Plus tarp with extended beak, package at $475. Stakes are extra. Those are expensive stakes.

Coffee
07-16-2013, 14:00
The Twin is $510 and the "all in" weight is 19 oz. Never had a problem with the mesh floor either

They currently list the total weight at 19.8 ounces for the twin assuming a twin size cuben ground sheet and 8 ti stakes. Mine is 20.4 ounces because I added some extra guylines to help secure the tent with large rocks in places where I cannot use stakes.

For a fully enclosed spacious shelter when I'm solo along with the potential to accommodate one other person it is hard to beat 20.4 ounces. After 9 nights I am pleased with my choice so far and looking forward to using it on the JMT.

The Ace
07-16-2013, 14:36
They currently list the total weight at 19.8 ounces for the twin assuming a twin size cuben ground sheet and 8 ti stakes. Mine is 20.4 ounces because I added some extra guylines to help secure the tent with large rocks in places where I cannot use stakes.

For a fully enclosed spacious shelter when I'm solo along with the potential to accommodate one other person it is hard to beat 20.4 ounces. After 9 nights I am pleased with my choice so far and looking forward to using it on the JMT.

Well, I just weighted mine and its 19.1 ounces. So, do I send mine back to Joe to have him add some more to it or do you send yours back to Joe and have him shave some off of it?

I added a longer line to the beak in order to be able to pull it in without needing to lean outside while I am inside of the tent. The headroom in this tent is also amazing because the back wall is almost vertical. I wonder if the HexaNet has the same amount of headroom.

Coffee
07-16-2013, 17:53
Well, I just weighted mine and its 19.1 ounces. So, do I send mine back to Joe to have him add some more to it or do you send yours back to Joe and have him shave some off of it?

My guess is that there is some variance in the manufacturing process. Or my scale or your scale might be off. Not a big deal in any case. The hexamid is just a great shelter!

STICK
07-16-2013, 21:29
The final weight will also depend on the type of stakes one is using...

q-tip, as has been pointed out, the total cost of the Hexamid Solo Plus Tarp & the Hexanet is $475. Considering the price of other cuben shelters, it is my opinion that this is a great price.

Anyway, my total set-up is 18.5 oz. This includes the tarp with beak, including guylines & stuff sack, the hexanet including guylines & stuff sack, and 14 stakes with stuff sack. I am using 2 of the MSR Carbon Core stakes, 8 of the ti shepherd hook stakes from Lawson Kline and 4 of the Terra Nova 1 gram stakes (which are used to stake out the hexanet floor). I could likely cut one of the stuff sacks out and save 0.1 - 0.2 oz, but I will likely use them both... I dunno for sure though at this point.

For more info, you can check out my blog post that RamblingHiker linked to above (thanks for the shout out RH!) As well, here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V-Y7e4mzDw

greggg3
10-20-2013, 07:28
Stick, can you tell me a little more about what you didn't like about the hexamid with the screen on the bottom? I'm trying to decide myself between the soloplus with the screen on the bottom and what you now have in your video. Its really pretty similar for cost and weight. I've just never used anything that had mosquito netting as a floor so I don't really know what issues might be involved with that? Just looking at pictures, it looks like I might have more room with the screen on bottom version? And if I went the hexanet route, would you advise also getting a cuben groundsheet for times when I didn't need the net? Anyway, in general, if you can expand on why you prefer the hexanet over the normal screen on the bottom version, it might help me decide. Thanks (and thats for all your reviews, they've helped me a lot because I don't really have any REI's and the like near me where I can go lay my hands on different outdoor gear, your reviews are the next best thing).