PDA

View Full Version : September Section Suggestion

Rightfoot
07-15-2013, 13:19
I am looking for input with regards to two potential sections the last 10 days of September. I am neither slow or fast but in good hiking shape. I would like to do approximately 150 miles. I would like your input regarding my two options..

Starting 150ish miles south of Carvers Gap and hiking back to the Gap....

OR

Starting at Carvers Gap going 150ish miles north.

I have a ride at either end so that is not an issue. FWIW... If you happen to be in the same area at that time I could potentially help with a shuttle,

Regards

map man
07-16-2013, 10:00
Both sections you propose are scenic, though I might give a slight edge to the one north of Carvers Gap -- it includes most of the Roan Highlands as well as Grayson Highlands. If you are determined to hike 150 miles the southern section you propose is a little awkward. It would have you starting between Newfound Gap and Davenport Gap in Great Smoky Mountain National Park. There would be no convenient road crossings there (you would have to hike in to your starting point) and you might have the hassle of having to make reservations at a shelter for your first night before you got out of the park, if you got a late start on your first day. You could get around this by shortening your hike to 140 miles and starting at Davenport Gap, outside of the park.

Both sections have fairly convenient resupply -- the south section you could resupply at Hot Springs and Erwin; the north section you could resupply at Dennis Cove Road (hiker friendly Kincora Hostel and Black Bear Resort are both there) and Damascus.

Kerosene
07-16-2013, 10:18
Either section should be nice that time of year, although I'd prefer to hike them in mid-October to see a bit more color.

As MapMan says, going north you get to see Roan Highlands. The hiking is very easy all the way to Damascus, and by then you wouldn't have a problem climbing up to Grayson Highlands. I probably averaged 18 miles a day through this area in my early 50's, so it's relatively easy to cover the miles if you're in halfway decent shape.

If the extended forecast looks good and you have flexibility, then go north. If it's iffy, head south. Check out Mountain Harbour B&B at 19E (15 miles north of Carvers Gap) if you need a shuttle.

FarmerChef
07-16-2013, 11:00
+1 on going north. There are lots of potential hostel/motel stays and resupply points. Check out Black Bear Resort or Kincora Hostel at Dennis Cove Road. Mountain Harbour B&B as Kerosene mentioned got great reviews from hikers I passed (I did not stay there though). Greasy Creek Friendly is a great stay. Plenty of options in Damascus and you can find anything you need at the Dollar General for resupply. (There's one in Hampton too). Your hike would put you ending at the Mount Rogers NRA Headquarters building. That's an easy pick up and only a few miles from 81.

Make sure to have a cheesesteak at the Blue Blaze in Damascus when you pass through. Mmm mmm good.