PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the warp around flip flop

WeShallSee
07-15-2013, 14:20
I am looking at hiking from Harper's Ferry to Springer, then flying north and hiking Maine to Harper's Ferry. This was one suggested hike on the ATC website. Has anybody done it this way? Any comments; good idea, crazy idea, whatever?

Malto
07-15-2013, 16:50
I think one potential negative would be not having as many possible people to hike with on the HF to Springer leg. If that's not an issue then I don't see any issues. What would you be trying to accomplish vs a standard NoBo to Harpers, flip south from Maine.

Odd Man Out
07-15-2013, 21:27
What about the head start? HF to ME then HF to GA. You start on an easy section (MD, PA, NJ, NY), Start later in the spring to avoid cold. Spend the hot summer up north rather than the mid-Atlantic. Pleasant fall hiking in the south. Hike with NOBOs the first half and SOBOs the second half. Both halves end with a climactic mountain top finish. No rush to finish on time.

Just Bill
07-15-2013, 23:14
go Harpers to springer- then harpers to Katahdin. Easier terrain to start, no competition with the herd, milder temps. You still get to hike north with the folks who make it that far (and are more fun to hike with) you still pass by all the north bounders on your way down, and you still get to finish on Big K. I think it's the best hike, with the highest chance of success. Cheaper too- shuttle (during slow season) from Springer to Gainesville about $60, Amtrak to Harpers about $120. Plane ticket to maine, plus bus, plus shuttle- expensive. If you start at front royal, you can even take the train to Waynesboro or Staunton and squeeze in a guilt free Aqua Blaze (canoe trip) before you begin your Northbound trip. You already are brave, smart, wise, comfortable enough to go harpers to springer- time permitting, you can spring time start there and still get to Maine before the snow flies. Best of both worlds!

WeShallSee
07-16-2013, 02:49
I think one potential negative would be not having as many possible people to hike with on the HF to Springer leg. If that's not an issue then I don't see any issues. What would you be trying to accomplish vs a standard NoBo to Harpers, flip south from Maine.
Starting at HF is easier terrain. Also, the ATC would like more people to go at different times or routes to reduce the traffic and wear and tear. I spend a great deal of my alone already, so I am not anticipating a problem with being alone. I could be wrong.

waterman1148
07-16-2013, 08:00
Sounds like the next best thing to a regular SOBO hike to me. I'm with you, I would rather hike alone.

Cookerhiker
07-16-2013, 08:23
I am looking at hiking from Harper's Ferry to Springer, then flying north and hiking Maine to Harper's Ferry. This was one suggested hike on the ATC website. Has anybody done it this way? Any comments; good idea, crazy idea, whatever?

I have suggested this very hike on several WB threads and wasn't even aware that it was on the ATC website. In fact, if I were to thruhike (I've section hiked the entire AT but not thruhiked), this is the route I'd take. Now if the AT's "social trail" syndrome is important to you, than this is not the way to go but if you want to hike the entire trail in one year and not deal with crowds in the south, I say go for it. Also, I suspect the winter weather will be less of a problem because you're starting at lower elevations even though you're 1,000 miles further north.

I'd start around the Spring Equinox and aim for a mid-June arrival at Springer. I'd then take a few weeks off, head to Katahdin for an early July start, and hike south to HF. Actually, my personal choice is to head west after Springer, spend July in the Rockies or Cascades, and return to Katahdin for an August 10 start but you may not have the luxury of time. What I don't like about traditional, continuous AT thruhikes is that NOBOs miss the Fall, SOBOs miss the Spring, and everyone has to hike in July when even Maine can be hot. The problem with hiking your second half northbound i.e. HF to Katahdin is that you're doing it in the worst heat & humidity of the mid-Atlantic summer.

What ever you decide, have a great hike!

Ezra
07-16-2013, 09:44
I'm with you, I would rather hike alone.

I'll third that.

mccarthympma
07-28-2013, 08:07
What about the head start? HF to ME then HF to GA. You start on an easy section (MD, PA, NJ, NY), Start later in the spring to avoid cold. Spend the hot summer up north rather than the mid-Atlantic. Pleasant fall hiking in the south. Hike with NOBOs the first half and SOBOs the second half. Both halves end with a climactic mountain top finish. No rush to finish on time.

This is the itinerary we are planning...thinking it gives us the best chance of a successful thru-hike. My big question is when is the best time to start? Right now we have April 15th as our start date but we really have no idea if this is too early/too late.

Odd Man Out
07-28-2013, 10:03
This is the itinerary we are planning...thinking it gives us the best chance of a successful thru-hike. My big question is when is the best time to start? Right now we have April 15th as our start date but we really have no idea if this is too early/too late.

Here is the ATC website where this one is discussed:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

They suggest first two weeks of May. The disadvantage of starting early on this route would be getting north in peak bug and mud season and then flipping to VA during the heat of mid summer, but if you're not too fast, April 15 would work. You could modify by starting a little further south (say I 64/Waynesboro). You would still have a relatively easy trail to start (in SNP), but then you loose the advantage of easy access at HF.