PDA

View Full Version : Smelling the Flowers?

Rasty
07-15-2013, 16:21
There has been a plethora of posts about stopping and smelling the flowers. What's your take?

Lone Wolf
07-15-2013, 16:25
i ain't bendin' over to smell nothin'

hikerboy57
smell the what? the things ive been stomping on for the last 5 months in an effort to "make miles"?
actually the flowers smell the same regardless of what speed you choose to hike.personally, i remain flexible in my days on the trail. sometimes i'll take lots of breaks. others i'll hike pretty much all day.just take it as it comes, take what the trail gives me

hikerboy57
i ain't bendin' over to smell nothin'

who said anything about bending over?

jersey joe
07-15-2013, 16:32
I say do what makes you happy(HYOH). Some people love hanging out at camp and hiking 10mpd. Others love to get up at dawn and hike 10-12 miles by lunch time. Both people are "smelling the flowers" in their own way. Just because you hike a lot of miles doesn't mean you aren't taking in your scenery and enjoying your surroundings.

Also, I have observed that hikers that hike fewer miles per day tend to judge hikers that put in more miles by saying things like "smell the flowers", but I can't recall seeing a hiker who puts in more miles judge a hiker who puts in fewer miles per day.

JustaTouron
07-15-2013, 16:39
Also, I have observed that hikers that hike fewer miles per day tend to judge hikers that put in more miles by saying things like "smell the flowers", but I can't recall seeing a hiker who puts in more miles judge a hiker who puts in fewer miles per day.

Really, you have never heard a hiker say something to the effect of, "that's it, I did more miles than that before lunch" 'Cause I have.

You must have also missed the thread where someone quite asked about having a section for slower hikers (we have a section for speed demons) and all the sarcastic comments.

snifur
07-15-2013, 16:42
I believe most of us perceive and receive the world around us according to our own definitions. I hike my way and enjoy it my way. Each one of us are different. I understand everyone on WB knows the best way to hike and when or which flowers to smell. I never feel as though I am missing out by continuing to move without stopping to appreciate each rock, root, flower, vista, or hiker ars along the trail. I believe that it leaves more to discover the next time I head down the trail. After all, we continue to return to the trails to discover something more, right? Can anyone really claim that their trip was filled with more experience and discovery than another's?

Magic_Rat
07-15-2013, 19:02
I'm a little over 4 months into my thru and I'm in Palmerton. Plan on hitting the big K around earlyish October. You could say I'm a flower smeller to be sure!

illabelle
07-15-2013, 19:52
We've been reading about hiker stink for a week and a half, and now we're gonna start smelling flowers???
This reversal of perspective is making me dizzy and I have questions:

How many daisies should a stinky hiker carry to mask his/her odor?
Is the same number of daises required for both men and women?
What do daisies weigh?
What flower species are most effective at masking odors?
What are the LNT penalties for picking flowers?
If a hiker's olfactory department is a bit overwhelmed by constant stink, is it even possible to smell the flowers?

Biggie Master
07-15-2013, 20:02
We recently remodeled a few rooms of our house, and one room is completely decorated with pictures from various AT hikes - several flower shots. Flame azaleas are one of my favorite blossoms. Nothing like a hike in the Spring when nature wakes up from a long Winter's nap. Don't always literally smell them, but I do take the in...

MuddyWaters
07-15-2013, 20:35
Flowers are good

WingedMonkey
07-15-2013, 21:01
I stop and smell them, photograph them, study them.

I do the same thing for animal scat....
and tracks.

:sun

dink
07-15-2013, 21:09
Smell, look, photograph, no picking though!! Enjoy the views, see the sights, smell the fresh air...nature is there to enjoy at what ever level one desires. It is all up to each person and no one is right or wrong in whatever level is right for them!!!

Sarcasm the elf
07-15-2013, 21:13
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1001477_567781049940489_107453890_n.jpg

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Lone Wolf
07-15-2013, 21:15
i love to pick lady slippers

Biggie Master
07-15-2013, 21:15

and tracks.

i like this. Maybe the new phrase should be "stop and smell the scat"?

rocketsocks
07-15-2013, 21:26
On more than one occasion I've introduce Mr.Pistol to Ms.Staimen.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-15-2013, 22:22

and tracks.

keep your nose out of the animal scat....those parasites will work their way into your brain....ick

Sarcasm the elf
07-15-2013, 22:26
On more than one occasion I've introduce Mr.Pistol to Ms.Staimen.

Careful now! This is a family friendly site, no need to talk about how daisys are made.

Kookork
07-15-2013, 22:40
I like to take time and study the flora and fauna of the area I am hiking. It is one of the reasons I hike. I call it added bonus.

Just Bill
07-15-2013, 22:48
Speaking of family friendly (yes i'm the one who posted a ****ttyy song in snacktimes thread)- I prefer to smell flowers especially after I fertilize them. I find the rapid change in smell is similar to using drugs and by drugs I mean snorting animal scat. It's interesting to investigate their poop to see just how long ago an animal went to a hiker feed or stole food due to their entitlement issues. What's with all the animals? "I live here, this is my home!" What BS. I'm with Lone Wolf all the way- I bent over once to smell a flower and I still haven't received the workman's comp settlement check for my ongoing back and neck issues. I find that many flowers along the trail charge too much for their fragrance, so more often than not I yell at them. Yes I know it's already free- but they should probably pay me to smell it... (:confused:since this isn't the "Humor forum" do I have to use an emoticon to let other know when I am joking, even though this post was obviously started as a joke? Just askin' since I'm new here and all? Do I need to start my post with a double offset blaze to indicate a change in direction, or is that also too confusing? Are sarcasm the elf's socks actually rocketsocks as they appear to go really high up and lift him off the ground? god this place is confusing I should double emoticon:confused::rolleyes:)

atmilkman
07-15-2013, 23:02
i love to pick lady slippers

pie-tune-yers are kina nice

Rasty
07-15-2013, 23:10
Speaking of family friendly (yes i'm the one who posted a ****ttyy song in snacktimes thread)- I prefer to smell flowers especially after I fertilize them. I find the rapid change in smell is similar to using drugs and by drugs I mean snorting animal scat. It's interesting to investigate their poop to see just how long ago an animal went to a hiker feed or stole food due to their entitlement issues. What's with all the animals? "I live here, this is my home!" What BS. I'm with Lone Wolf all the way- I bent over once to smell a flower and I still haven't received the workman's comp settlement check for my ongoing back and neck issues. I find that many flowers along the trail charge too much for their fragrance, so more often than not I yell at them. Yes I know it's already free- but they should probably pay me to smell it... (:confused:since this isn't the "Humor forum" do I have to use an emoticon to let other know when I am joking, even though this post was obviously started as a joke? Just askin' since I'm new here and all? Do I need to start my post with a double offset blaze to indicate a change in direction, or is that also too confusing? Are sarcasm the elf's socks actually rocketsocks as they appear to go really high up and lift him off the ground? god this place is confusing I should double emoticon:confused::rolleyes:)

Stomping flowers isn't something to joke about. It's very serious sport. The flowers are elusive and taunt the hunters.

hikerboy57
07-15-2013, 23:15
Stomping flowers isn't something to joke about. It's very serious sport. The flowers are elusive and taunt the hunters.
diapensa stomping is fun.

hikerboy57
07-15-2013, 23:16
can i vote again?

Just Bill
07-15-2013, 23:22
I find the stomping of flowers enhances and releases the fragrance. More importantly that way I don't have to bend over. Once though I got flower guts all over my new shoes, I sent a bill to ATC but they haven't reimbursed me yet. Flowers are elusive, in the winter time they are really tough to spot. Sometimes in the summer they are hard to see too, but mostly that's because of all the hunters blowing their heads off. Some people are against flower hunting, but how else are florists supposed to make a living? (Dammmitt- I still don't know what emoticon to use.:()

hikerboy57
07-15-2013, 23:25
I find the stomping of flowers enhances and releases the fragrance. More importantly that way I don't have to bend over. Once though I got flower guts all over my new shoes, I sent a bill to ATC but they haven't reimbursed me yet. Flowers are elusive, in the winter time they are really tough to spot. Sometimes in the summer they are hard to see too, but mostly that's because of all the hunters blowing their heads off. Some people are against flower hunting, but how else are florists supposed to make a living? (Dammmitt- I still don't know what emoticon to use.:()
florists dont hunt flowers, they raise herds of flowers, let them roam free over the grasslands and through the forest. free range flowers, corn fed,angus usda flowers

Just Bill
07-15-2013, 23:33
That's what they tell you folks in new yourk City, probably give you a little pamphlet too about sustainable harvests and whatnot. When you get out in the country a bit then you'll see who those florists really are! Sure they may subcontract the actual huntin' and sure they do some live capture and forced breeding in captivity- but mostly they simply MURDER FLOWERS! (now what emoticon do you use after you accuse someone of murder, especially in all caps!!!:p)

Rasty
07-15-2013, 23:42
That's what they tell you folks in new yourk City, probably give you a little pamphlet too about sustainable harvests and whatnot. When you get out in the country a bit then you'll see who those florists really are! Sure they may subcontract the actual huntin' and sure they do some live capture and forced breeding in captivity- but mostly they simply MURDER FLOWERS! (now what emoticon do you use after you accuse someone of murder, especially in all caps!!!:p)

City people just don't understand the country life. The want plump flowers but don't want to see the farmer force feeding the flowers to fatten up their livers.

hikerboy57
07-15-2013, 23:42
That's what they tell you folks in new yourk City, probably give you a little pamphlet too about sustainable harvests and whatnot. When you get out in the country a bit then you'll see who those florists really are! Sure they may subcontract the actual huntin' and sure they do some live capture and forced breeding in captivity- but mostly they simply MURDER FLOWERS! (now what emoticon do you use after you accuse someone of murder, especially in all caps!!!:p)these free range flowers have practical ly taken over the botanical gardens.here in New York

Rasty
07-15-2013, 23:49
That's what they tell you folks in new yourk City, probably give you a little pamphlet too about sustainable harvests and whatnot. When you get out in the country a bit then you'll see who those florists really are! Sure they may subcontract the actual huntin' and sure they do some live capture and forced breeding in captivity- but mostly they simply MURDER FLOWERS! (now what emoticon do you use after you accuse someone of murder, especially in all caps!!!:p)these free range flowers have practical ly taken over the botanical gardens.here in New York

Get a gallon of Roundup.

Just Bill
07-15-2013, 23:59
these free range flowers have practical ly taken over the botanical gardens.here in New York

That's what they want you to think. "It's all good," they say. Just ask the bees, they know what's really going on. Sometimes you think they're just buzzing about nothing, but if you were a real hiker you would slow down and listen to what they really have to say. They talk really fast, but the only way to understand them is to slow down. It's counterintuitive but so is most are most of the important hiking strategies. Anyway- I need to go to bed so I can get up early to train for my speed hiking. It's really important to hike fast. This conversation is eating up too much of your brain power anyway and you really need to focus on your debate with Kookoo; that's a serious topic- this is just a thread about where to step when hiking and emoticon use. :)

rocketsocks
07-16-2013, 00:22
what a bunch of Liliboys :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42okmoC9Mo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42okmoC9Mo8

Rasty
07-16-2013, 00:44
these free range flowers have practical ly taken over the botanical gardens.here in New York

That's what they want you to think. "It's all good," they say. Just ask the bees, they know what's really going on. Sometimes you think they're just buzzing about nothing, but if you were a real hiker you would slow down and listen to what they really have to say. They talk really fast, but the only way to understand them is to slow down. It's counterintuitive but so is most are most of the important hiking strategies. Anyway- I need to go to bed so I can get up early to train for my speed hiking. It's really important to hike fast. This conversation is eating up too much of your brain power anyway and you really need to focus on your debate with Kookoo; that's a serious topic- this is just a thread about where to step when hiking and emoticon use. :)

Nobs overuse emoticons! :)

cs570
07-16-2013, 01:14
After reading this Im pretty sure most of yall are smelling flowers. Yall are actually eating shrooms lol

Odd Man Out
07-16-2013, 09:48
Here are some pictures from last weekend's trip to Oliphant Fen on the Bruce Peninsula, Ontario. We did not stop to smell the Oliphants.

Omaha_Ace
07-16-2013, 11:50
There has been a plethora of posts about stopping and smelling the flowers. What's your take?

Well, you told me I have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.

Rasty
07-16-2013, 11:53
Well, you told me I have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.

Plethora - Superabundance, glut, an excess of

hikerboy57
07-16-2013, 11:56
i thought a plethora was the piece of skin between your lips and your nose

fredmugs
07-16-2013, 12:01

That's your snot chute.

atmilkman
07-16-2013, 12:07

That's your snot chute.

Whew. I'm glad of that. For a minute there I thought it was a sophisticated term for the taint.

Rasty
07-16-2013, 12:11
Whew. I'm glad of that. For a minute there I thought it was a sophisticated term for the taint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philtrum

atmilkman
07-16-2013, 12:14
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philtrum
Now see if you can find the definition of the "taint".

Rasty
07-16-2013, 12:16
Now see if you can find the definition of the "taint".

I know what it is!

max patch
07-16-2013, 12:23
I don't smell no stinkin flowers.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2085/2122451642_625c302464.jpg

Teacher & Snacktime
07-16-2013, 13:04
then how do you know they're stinkin'?

Rasty
07-16-2013, 13:07
I don't smell no stinkin flowers.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2085/2122451642_625c302464.jpg

Those should be fun to smell for the next hiker!

rocketsocks
07-16-2013, 14:04
Nice drawing Max...

Max's Patch 22759

TD55
07-16-2013, 14:16
Just carry a little bottle of flowery perfume. You can smell the flowers whenever you feel like it. Just open the cap and take a whif.

Namtrag
07-16-2013, 14:23
I don't stop to smell the flowers, but I did stop to eat some of the blueberries that ripened a little early at Dolly Sods a couple of weekends ago!

Omaha_Ace
07-19-2013, 09:47

Um.............how do you make a poll? :-?

hikerboy57
07-19-2013, 09:49

Um.............how do you make a poll? :-?little blue pill?

Omaha_Ace
07-19-2013, 09:55
little blue pill?

That would be a pole. I'm asking about polls ;)