PDA

View Full Version : Resupply in Branchville, NJ

Deco
07-16-2013, 11:32
Wife and I are section hiking NJ in about a week and it looks like Branchville would be a good resupply at about the half way point. Does anyone know anything about Branchville? As always thanks for your responses.

FarmerChef
07-16-2013, 13:51
The short answer is: yes, for short term resupply. How many days do you plan to be out and how much time per day do you plan to spend walking? It's possible to eat at a deli or market almost every day in that section if you're moving fast enough. You could just buy enough extra for dinner later that night.

According to Awol's guide, Branchville has a deli, a farmer's market, "Dales Market" and "Yellow Cottage Deli & Bakery" - the latter being 2.5 miles from the trail on the road. About a half mile N on 206 is Stokes Forest Sports which shows a grocery basket. Not sure what they have in the way of eats. Bottom line is that there is food to be bought there but you'll have to walk for it, potentially a significant distance off the trail.

You could also consider mailing a drop to High Point State Park Headquarters. They are literally right beside the trail and a nice stop with bathrooms, garbage can and visitor area with displays. A little further than half way. Not sure about your itinerary to know if that might be an option for ya.

rocketsocks
07-16-2013, 14:23
But leave your packs outside...and don't even think about using the bathroom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDR9Xh0GPeQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDR9Xh0GPeQ

A.T.Lt
07-16-2013, 16:25
Stokes Steak House and Gips Tavern...Good food and brew!
The deli , known for the rude owner I have heard changed owners..not sure if the new owner has become more hiker firendly!

Deco
07-16-2013, 18:25
I know there are lots of opportunities for resupply along this stretch of the trail. We are going north to south and will probably do between 10 and 12 mile days. Would prefer not to do mail drops and it looks like Branchville is a logical spot for supply at the half way point. I guess the real question is: is it a hiker friendly town? Any other recommendations for must see stuff along the AT in Jersey?

da fungo
07-16-2013, 18:30
The previously metioned Yellow Cottage Deli is NOT the one with the rude owner. That one is the opposite direction from the trail, andis/was called "Joe To Go".Dale's Market is, I recall, just a tad over a mile feom the trail, heading South along Rte 206.In reply to another question, I recently posted a detailed listing of food in that area, including some measured distances. At the moment I'm unable to link to that posting, but if you look up my posting historyor search WB for"da fungo Jumboland", you should find it.

da fungo
07-16-2013, 18:37
Dale's Market, by the way, is a small limited local grocery, so you won't find a great selection or anything exotic there. There is no larger grocery in the Boro of Branchville, although there is another small, local grocery in town. Residents drive at least to Newton, 8 to 10 miles away, for significant shopping.

Deco
07-16-2013, 20:47
Thanks Da Fungo googled your earlier post and found it very helpful. Thanks!

da fungo
07-16-2013, 22:14
Thanks Da Fungo googled your earlier post and found it very helpful. Thanks!
You're welcome.

Just noticed your earlier question if Brandhville is hiker friendly. I doubt that hikers register on the municipal consciousness.