PDA

View Full Version : Airlines, TSA and pepper spray

rubyvermonter
07-16-2013, 12:33
I've never hiked with pepper spray before but decided to start this year. I'm flying to my trailhead. I know I can't carry pepper spray on the plane but I could not get definitive information from Delta Airlines about whether I could pack pepper spray in my checked backpack. The TSA regulations don't say it is prohibited. The person I spoke to on the phone said I'd probably be okay, but it might be confiscated. Not much of an answer. Does anyone have experience? Thanks.

Sarcasm the elf
07-16-2013, 12:41
Click on this link for a full rundown:

Pepper spray is addressed under the martial arts & self defense items section. The short story is that it's usually okay in checked luggage as long as it meets the criteria listed on the site.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Also, dont carry it into Massachusetts, it is the one and only state where it's a felony unless you have a license.

Old Hiker
07-16-2013, 12:55
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items#9

Tear gas (2% CS, CN, etc.) is prohibited under the "Disabling Chemicals & Other Dangerous Items" items. Yes, pepper spray is a different composition, but I wouldn't want to bet that it's OK. Really, REALLY need to find someone who will say for sure, preferably in writing. If it went off in the baggage area, I wouldn't want to be responsible for the clean-up of the plane, damaged/destroyed (unusable) passenger luggage, etc.

OP - can't buy it where you are going?

Feral Bill
07-16-2013, 13:46
Unless you're going to Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Alaska, or maybe the Sierras, you won't need it. Unless you are very unlucky (which could happen), you won't need it in those places either.

mcstick
07-16-2013, 13:59
Unless you're going to Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Alaska, or maybe the Sierras, you won't need it. Unless you are very unlucky (which could happen), you won't need it in those places either.

I imagine she is talking about people spray, not bear spray.

Bucherm
07-16-2013, 22:48
You still wouldn't need it.

Criminals tend to be lazy.

Marta
07-16-2013, 23:41
I haven't tried to transport it myself, but lots of pepper spray gets given away here in Glacier because people think it's prohibited to put it in their checked bags. I certainly wouldn't try it.

rubyvermonter
07-17-2013, 12:17
Thanks for the feedback all and good suggestions. By the way, last summer, I met male section hikers on two occasions who were carrying pepper spray for bears.

yaduck9
07-17-2013, 13:24
A number of years ago, I checked my tool case in and had the TSA guy search it, he came across my small aerosol can of wd40, and he promptly confiscated it, even though the bag was going to be put down in the hold. The explanation was that the aerosol can was pressurized and could explode. I don't know, but I would assume the TSA would use the same reasoning for pepper spray.

Marta
07-18-2013, 17:20
I just went through security at Glacier Park Int. in Kalispell, MT. I was specifically asked if my checked bag contained bear spray, which it did not.

According to both the United desk agent and the TSA video here, bear spray is a prohibited item in both carryon and checked bags.