PDA

View Full Version : Richmond Virginia Area Hikers

kerosenehat
07-16-2013, 18:47
Hi all, I am new here if you didn't figure that out already. I'm looking for folks in the Richmond/Midlothian area for section hiking. I'm looking to do 3 - 5 a year maybe more. Just trying to find some folks around here.
Thanks for having me.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-16-2013, 18:48
Welcome! I'm not from VA, but just wanted to be the first :).

jimmyjam
07-16-2013, 19:17
Welcome to WB. I'm a section hiker in the Richmond Area. I'll be doing the following sections this year: Waynesboro/Daleville, Pearisburg/Daleville, and Harpersferry/Waynesboro. send me a PM if your interested in talking further. JJ

Namtrag
07-16-2013, 19:34
Check out obsessive compulsive backpackers on meetup.com. Lots of members from RichmondRichmond

Guinness Feb 20x5
07-16-2013, 19:43
Greetings! I'm from Williamsburg and am planning on hiking the length of the Shenandoah National Park in the next few weeks. Would love to have a hiking buddy for some or all of the hike.

bspycc79
07-16-2013, 21:07
Hey, I'm from Midlothian, and I'm section hiking, with the goal to do all of the AT in VA/WV. Would love to hook up with any/all who from the area who are into the AT, so post what you plan to do here or PM me. I have the following times planned for hiking:

July 26-29

Aug 16-19

Aug 23-26

Sep 13-16

Sep 20-22

5-7 days btwn Sept 13-22

I have the following sections left:

South end
North End

Miles

Atkins
Lickskillet Hollow

Stony Creek
Bearwallow Gap

Hogwallow Flat
Possum Rest

Front Royal
Morgan Mill Rd

Keys Gap
Harpers Ferry

Tuckahoe
07-16-2013, 21:22
Here is another welcome from Williamsburg. WELCOME!

Onedawg
07-16-2013, 21:22
I'm in the midlothian area also. Planning a section the last week in August. It would be nice to meet up with fellow hikers I the area. Having a second car for a section hike really makes things easier.

johnnybgood
07-16-2013, 22:11
Howdy neighbor ! We might be able to shake hands...where in Midlothian ?

Let me guess , you're a fan of Cracker ?

kerosenehat
07-17-2013, 05:20
Lots of neighbors..
My goal is to also finish va-wv-md am taking my brother on part of Maryland starting tomorrow(who knew the temps would be so high) for his first and my 2nd real 10+ mile hike I figured md is relatively "easy" looking at the map. I figure if I do 200 miles a year then I'll be done in 10 years or so.

I will probably hike through December if weather permits.

Yes 2 cars makes it a lot easier.
Bspycc79 the September 20-22 is quite possible (is that driving up Friday hiking in Saturday and finish on sunday)? The front royal - Morgan mill sounds good
Onedawg august is out for me as it is my anniversary and my wife's bday...
Johnnybgood I'm in brandermill and cracker is good.

Thanks for the welcome all... Look forward to meeting all on the trail or In town. I'll let you know how Maryland was..BBC

Onedawg
07-17-2013, 07:25
I'm in Stonehenge. Look forward to meeting some local hiking folks.

vtgorilla
07-17-2013, 12:25
Hi neighbors, I live right by Carytown. I'm planning a thru in 2014 so I'd love to go out on a couple weekend trips to continue testing out my gear.

Onedawg
07-17-2013, 15:26
I'm going to try to do as many fri-sat-sun hikes as I am able to this summer. Feel free to contact me if you want to put something together.

ZenRabbit
07-17-2013, 15:41
I'm in Mechanicsville. I'd be down for some company on trips headed SOBO. Schedule is flexible.

My golden retriever may tag along, depending on weather and heat. I'm a 55 year old male with a moderate pace.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk HD

Kerosene
07-17-2013, 16:18
Send an invite to HikerHead on this site. He does a lot of Richmond-area day hikes, plus annual AT section hikes.

BTW, I've got Kerosene copyrighted. At least, I think I have the copyright around here somewhere...

johnnybgood
07-17-2013, 16:43
Hikerhead is a Roanoker but we can get him to go just about anywhere ...and have.

Kerosene
07-17-2013, 17:34
Hikerhead is a Roanoker but we can get him to go just about anywhere ...and have.Richmond, Roanoke, Ruckersville...somewhere in central VA.

Namtrag
07-17-2013, 17:36
Kerosenehat, here is a link to our meetup group. One of the main instigators...oops I mean organizers, is a guy from Richmond. What's cool is we do trips on the AT, as well as many others, and you can organize section hikes and get people from all over the state who are members to come too. It's a great group.

http://www.meetup.com/OCBackpackers/

kerosenehat
07-17-2013, 22:07
So you saying kerosenehat is out. Not worries if so..

Sounds great all the localites.
When I get back from Md we can look at dates I like Friday Saturday Sunday hikes. Since I work m-d..

q-tip
07-18-2013, 10:19
Midlothian section hiker here

jimmyjam
07-20-2013, 18:02
Anyone of you fellow Richmonders up for a Buena Vista to Waynesboro or Glascow to Waynesboro hike next week? i'm looking for someone to help out with a shuttle. Thanks. jj

Deer Hunter
07-20-2013, 21:19
Anyone of you fellow Richmonders up for a Buena Vista to Waynesboro or Glascow to Waynesboro hike next week? i'm looking for someone to help out with a shuttle. Thanks. jj

Do you have a day and time picked out?

jimmyjam
07-21-2013, 08:36
I'm thinking of probably Wednesday. I am retired, so I'm flexible on dates/times.

Capt.Scott
07-21-2013, 21:13
Richmond area section hiker here too! Live in Henrico. Started in '09 SOBO sectioning. Finished Maine in 2011, took Scouts to Philmont in 2012 and am headed to the Whites in September. Glad to be aware of all the Richmonders. We rule the AT! I hope to meet some Richmond WBers.

bspycc79
07-21-2013, 22:19
Jimmyjam, my kid and friend (both USMC) are looking for a Tues-Friday (I'm sure Weds-Fri would work too) this week, they were thinking Shenadoah but would go wherever they can get company and help shuttling. I'm sending him the WB link and this forum, but if you're OK I'll PM you his phone and you could try to hook up with him.

jimmyjam
07-22-2013, 06:37
bspycc79,

Sure, talk to them and PM me a phone number if they are interested.

Deer Hunter
07-22-2013, 10:26
I'm thinking of probably Wednesday. I am retired, so I'm flexible on dates/times.

I could probably help you if it was later in the afternoon. 4pm or later.

jimmyjam
07-31-2013, 11:30
Ok. I just did Buena Vista to Waynesboro. Anybody up for Buena Vista to Daleville starting on August 10 or August 17?

Studlintsean
07-31-2013, 12:44
Ok. I just did Buena Vista to Waynesboro. Anybody up for Buena Vista to Daleville starting on August 10 or August 17?

Did you happen to write a trip report? I am thinking of doing a very simillar section in October. I was thinking Buena Vista to Beagle Gap in SNP (I believe this is just N of Waynesboro but I dont have guidebook with me and could be wrong). This is about 60 miles and I was thinking I could do it in 5 days. How many days did you hike? What kind of miles?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

jimmyjam
07-31-2013, 13:44
Did you happen to write a trip report? I am thinking of doing a very simillar section in October. I was thinking Buena Vista to Beagle Gap in SNP (I believe this is just N of Waynesboro but I dont have guidebook with me and could be wrong). This is about 60 miles and I was thinking I could do it in 5 days. How many days did you hike? What kind of miles?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

I hiked from Rt. 60 at Buena Vista to Dripping Springs ( I had already hiked Loft Mtn to Dripping Springs). I took it easy the first day with only 6 miles- I am coming off a knee injury, 14 miles the second day, 14 miles the third, and 7 miles in 3 hrs on the last day to Dripping Springs which is 15 miles from Rockfish Gap. RG to Beagle Gap is like another 7.4 miles. So that's like 64 miles total. doable in 5, but I would allow 6 days. It's some tough miles up to spy Rock/The Priest and a lot of elevation change down the Priest and back up to Maupin Field on the Three Ridges. From Three Ridges to Dripping Springs it is pretty flat and then you climb up to Humpback and then down with a gentle up to Rockfish Gap. from there you go up and over a hill and down to Beagle gap.

ocourse
08-01-2013, 18:52
PM sent to bspycc79

earlyriser26
08-01-2013, 20:48
Just moved to Henrico from Ohio. Have the South half of the AT done and working my way north. PA is my next target. It is nice to finally be in a state the AT goes through.

johnnybgood
08-01-2013, 20:58
Good move, earlyriser. Virginia hiking is the best but I'm biased. I've hiked the southernmost 80 miles of PA, the rocks weren't bad. I hear they get nasty north of Port Clinton .

kerosenehat
08-01-2013, 20:58
Welcome to Richmond I'm down in Midlothian.

bspycc79
08-14-2013, 00:02
Kerosenehat, I have been talking with ocourse about doing Front Royal-Morgan Mill Rd from Sunday 9/15-Tues 9/17. Join us for that, and/or I would certainly be open to picking up another section 9/20-22. Yes, I normally try to split work at noon on Fridays when I go backpacking; the 9/15-17 is a bit of an exception to that as I have a sailing race on 9/13. PS, fellow Brandermill-er here.

mtnkngxt
08-30-2013, 21:11
I'm planning on doing the section from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry starting on October 24th. Planning on catching a shuttle from the Tea Horse hostel Sunday morning and returning to Hampton Roads.

Studlintsean
08-30-2013, 21:44
If anyone is interested I'm looking to do Beagle Gap to Buena Vista in October.

DeerHunter- do you offer shuttles or just pickups around the Buena vista area?

mtnkngxt
08-31-2013, 21:01

When and how many miles is that?

Deer Hunter
08-31-2013, 21:10

I do it when I can work it around my job for the most part.. I start hunting in October so to do Beagle Gap it would have to be on a Sunday. If a Sunday shuttle would work for you, I would be glad to help you out. :) PM me if that would work for you.

Studlintsean
08-31-2013, 22:53
Mtbkngxt- Total mileage is about 60 miles (12 miles a day) and I'd like to head out early Thursday morning October 10 and finish October 14. Will likely have one other guy coming as well. Let me know if your interested in tagging long.

Deerhunter- We would likely not finish until later in the afternoon on Monday. Thanks for the offer though. Any suggestions for a shuttle from 60?

Deer Hunter
08-31-2013, 23:23
Mtbkngxt- Total mileage is about 60 miles (12 miles a day) and I'd like to head out early Thursday morning October 10 and finish October 14. Will likely have one other guy coming as well. Let me know if your interested in tagging long.

Deerhunter- We would likely not finish until later in the afternoon on Monday. Thanks for the offer though. Any suggestions for a shuttle from 60?

I haven't used any of these but off of the ATC shuttle list:

Buddy Johnson
Lexington, VA
(540) 464-1281
(540) 817-9168
[email protected]
Bearwallow Gap to Rockfish Gap, possibly further. Five to seven days notice preferred. Also work at outfitter in Lexington, Va. A.T. 2,000-miler 1992-2002.

Gary Serra Buena Vista, VA (757)-681-2254
[email protected] Points north and south of Rt. 501/James River footbridge

Robert M. Bird
Rockbridge Taxi Service
Buena Vista, VA
(540) 261-7733
(540) 261-8816 8 pm – 12 am best time to call to arrange pick-up.
Rate locally $2/mile. $50 to Staunton, $70 to Roanoke, $90 to Charlottesville, $275 to DC. Prefer 24 hours notice. Can carry 2 or 3 hikers with packs; more without packs.

Earl and Lois Arnold
Montebello, VA
(540) 377-2119
[email protected]
[email protected]
Rockfish Gap to James River
Also operate B&B; Free lunch for thru-hikers, 11-1, May to June.

Pam Bennett
Fishersville, VA
(540) 447-6882
[email protected]
Available early mornings, evenings and weekends. Willing to travel a radius of 100 miles in any direction from
Waynesboro (Rockfish Gap) for shuttle service when available. Plenty of
advance notice advised and appreciated. Dogs welcome. Participates in the Waynesboro volunteer local shuttle network.

Greg Bruno
Waynesboro, VA
(540) 949-0770
[email protected]
www.trailangel.org
Available any day for shuttles within 100 miles of Waynesboro, VA. Free shuttles between Rockfish Gap and Waynesboro. Four-wheel drive SUV can comfortably transport up to 3 hikers and packs.

Joan Byrne
Waynesboro, VA
(224) 628-3517
Shuttles for A.T. hikers; call for details

Studlintsean
09-03-2013, 10:50
Thanks Deer Hunter. I will use this list to line up a shuttle once I firm the details and get closer to the date.

Namtrag
09-03-2013, 13:03
If anyone is interested from Richmond area, our meetup group is doing the Va Triple Crown section in October.

http://www.meetup.com/OCBackpackers/events/136525712/

kerosenehat
09-06-2013, 15:45
Hi all bspycc79 and I are doing front royal to Morgan mill road September 20-22 let us know if interested in joining us.possibly going up on the 19th and hiking in a bit then heading out in the am.
I believe we are taking 2 cars so there is plenty of room

mtnkngxt
09-08-2013, 13:00
If anyone is interested from Richmond area, our meetup group is doing the Va Triple Crown section in October.

http://www.meetup.com/OCBackpackers/events/136525712/

Signed up for that trip this morning.

jimmyjam
09-08-2013, 15:21
I'll be doing Daleville to Glasgow or Glasgow to Daleville soon, so if anyone is interested send me a PM. I have a friend in Daleville who will shuttle.

jimmyjam
09-22-2013, 13:30
I thought I'd post this here too: I am planning a Harper's Ferry to Rockfish Gap or RG to HF to start in a week or two. Anyone want to hike along? Should have some good scenery with the leaves starting to turn and meet some Sobos. Let me know if you are interested.

Onedawg
09-22-2013, 13:58
I'd like to do that hike. When are you thinking about leaving?

Onedawg
09-22-2013, 13:59
I just noticed that you said "in a week or two". That's going to be too soon for me. I'm thinking towards the end of October.

jimmyjam
09-22-2013, 14:52
I just noticed that you said "in a week or two". That's going to be too soon for me. I'm thinking towards the end of October.

Later in October I may hike south of Daleville. I want to do the SNP section before too many leaf peepers invade the park.

johnnybgood
09-22-2013, 17:25
Later in October I may hike south of Daleville. I want to do the SNP section before too many leaf peepers invade the park.

Third week of October is the usual peak for colors in SNP.

jimmyjam
09-22-2013, 17:33
Exactly what i mean.

jimmyjam
10-01-2013, 13:44
Well I've had to make a change in my plans, thanks to our wonderful politicians who can only agree to disagree, and cancel my Harper's Ferry to Rockfish trip. So I've re-directed everything to go south from Daleville. I'll do the HF to SNP after congress gets their act together.Thank you my wonderful public servants paid with my tax money for screwing up my plans. Anyone interested in hiking along send me a pm.

HikerMom58
10-01-2013, 14:58
Well I've had to make a change in my plans, thanks to our wonderful politicians who can only agree to disagree, and cancel my Harper's Ferry to Rockfish trip. So I've re-directed everything to go south from Daleville. I'll do the HF to SNP after congress gets their act together.Thank you my wonderful public servants paid with my tax money for screwing up my plans. Anyone interested in hiking along send me a pm.

JJ.. you won't be alone hiking the trail around Daleville.. I just got on the trail today- I was hiking with a local hiking group and met a SOBO section hiker. He said there are lots of hikers on the trail. Section hikers and SOBO thru's.

Sorry about the change in ur plans.. this really stinks.

Good news --- the BRP is still open for vehicles!!
Services along the BRP are closed but not the road itself. :)

jimmyjam
10-01-2013, 15:08
Shmyabix, how about posting any water problems if you run into any. I was going to do this section after my HF section, so I don't mind too much. This section does have some cool things and nice views.

HikerMom58
10-01-2013, 15:20
Shmyabix, how about posting any water problems if you run into any. I was going to do this section after my HF section, so I don't mind too much. This section does have some cool things and nice views.

I will try keep everyone posted on the water situation.

I just hiked Black Horse Gap( SOBO) past Wilson Creek Shelter to Salt Pond Rd. (right before Fulhardt Knob Shelter) The water sources are not all dry but low. Surprising since we have had a wet summer.

JJ, you will be hiking south from Daleville. I do know that there has been reports of not much water in this area. Teacher & Snacktime, Deer Hunter and myself hiked 6 jugs of water up to the trail, last weekend. (Off of Rt. 311) I will try my best to keep water jugs in that area.

You will love that section.. it will not disappoint! :>) The weather right now is beautiful!! I think it will stay this way for a good while.

jimmyjam
01-17-2014, 21:02
Time for some fresh air with a view. I am heading for the hills tomorrow morning- anyone up for a day hike somewhere on the AT between say Big Meadows and McAfee?

HikerMom58
01-18-2014, 09:21
Time for some fresh air with a view. I am heading for the hills tomorrow morning- anyone up for a day hike somewhere on the AT between say Big Meadows and McAfee?

JJ... I hope you can find someone to get out and hike with ya, today. I have the flu- it's bad. :(

jimmyjam
01-18-2014, 16:45
Hey HM I hope you feel better soon. I hiked solo, it was fun although on the chilly side at about 23*.

HikerMom58
01-18-2014, 16:56
Hey JJ... glad you got out there! :>) 23* is a bit nippy but it is winter. :P Thanks for the well wishes. Just sipping some hot tea & trying not to think about how bad I feel... blah!

Maybe you can join us this Spring (April) when we will be hiking near Deer Hunter in Buena Vista. We'll put it out here when it gets closer... I'm glad you had a good hike! :)

jimmyjam
01-18-2014, 17:55
Yeah HM I would like to hike with you guys Stay warm and get well.

sparkygeek
01-22-2014, 12:34
I know this is way off in the distance, but I will be visiting family in Richmond in June and will be doing a section hike the week of June 17th.
If anybody is interested in hitting the trail I would gladly pay for gas if you let me bum a ride.

sparkygeek
01-26-2014, 15:14
Hmm. Now that I think of it, that post probably should go in the ride boards page. My apologies!

kerosenehat
07-23-2014, 20:17
Hey guys going out next week to go from greenbrier state park in Maryland to PenMar if anyone wants to join us. Leaving RVA Thursday evening.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

jimmyjam
07-23-2014, 21:22
I am headed out to either SNP or somewhere between the Priest and Rockfish Gap this weekend if anyone is interested.

kerosenehat
07-24-2014, 21:38
I am headed out to either SNP or somewhere between the Priest and Rockfish Gap this weekend if anyone is interested.

Wish I could I'm in need of some therapy. Maybe next time. As the weather cools I plan on doing 1 or 2 a month. Ill post here

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

kerosenehat
07-25-2014, 16:55
When u going? Tonight or tomorrow

jimmyjam
07-25-2014, 18:34
When u going? Tonight or tomorrow

I am going in the morning. A short over night 4 or 10 mile out and 4 or 10 back. I have a broken/jammed toe. PM me if you are interested. I will be leaving 8am.

rocketsocks
07-25-2014, 21:13
I am going in the morning. A short over night 4 or 10 mile out and 4 or 10 back. I have a broken/jammed toe. PM me if you are interested. I will be leaving 8am.I like your mentality, get a hike in before the doctors tell you can't, that's what I'd do too...have a great hike JJ. :)

jimmyjam
08-21-2014, 19:56
I am headed out to the trail this Saturday if anyone is interested. Not sure where other than somewhere between Spy Rock and Thornton Gap. Holler back if you are interested.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
08-21-2014, 20:03
I am headed out to the trail this Saturday if anyone is interested. Not sure where other than somewhere between Spy Rock and Thornton Gap. Holler back if you are interested.

Shucks jj. In Hampton Roads this weekend visiting the daughter and grand kids or I'd sign up in a heartbeat. After my shakedown 2 weeks ago I've been jonesing to get out there again. *sigh* guess I'll have to wait until next weekend. Happy hiking :)

jimmyjam
08-21-2014, 20:08
maybe catch you on the next one.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

johnnybgood
08-21-2014, 21:35
Hope you find someone JJ . I'm driving my daughter and all her 'stuff ' back to college this Saturday .

Have a great time.

jimmyjam
08-21-2014, 21:56
Hope you find someone JJ . I'm driving my daughter and all her 'stuff ' back to college this Saturday .

Have a great time.

thanks. i always have a good time, even if its solo .

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2