PDA

View Full Version : Timber Rattler in PA with pics......

jelloitsalive
07-17-2013, 00:03
On my last hike in PA we came across a timber rattler. It was on a rock outcropping soaking up some sun. He rattled at me for about 10 seconds then calmed down. I guess if your a rattlesnake your not scared of to much. Who else has came across these. And how often are they found along the AT. Should you use one of those extractors if bitten or will that cause more damage. Thanks for any input and check out the pics.......

atmilkman
07-17-2013, 00:13
Nice color. 10 rattles. Pretty healthy.

jelloitsalive
07-17-2013, 00:23
Nice color. 10 rattles. Pretty healthy. Thanks does that meen its older?

atmilkman
07-17-2013, 00:33
Thanks does that meen its older?

Not necessarily. Usually that it has eaten very well and grown quite a bit. It indicates how many times it has shed it's skin which would coincide with eating good and being healthy.

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 00:46
Nice, he/she is poised in strike mode...cool.

Well, I've read that using the "Extractor" is not really gonna remove the venom from deep with-in a wound, and that it can cause tissue damage....but yeah, I bought one years ago...haven't carried it yet.

also that if it's not used pretty much right after a bite occurs the wound will swell, closing or encapsulating the affected area, and the extractor wont draw the venom out....ymmv

Onsen
07-17-2013, 05:27
The markings are beautiful....but I'll
probably never stumble upon one in my lifetime.
Shame.

.....via tapatalk.

Lumberjack2003
07-17-2013, 07:14
I came across them a couple of times. One section in PA was a short part where I walked from rock to rock and you could here them under some of the rocks.

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 10:10
Nice, he/she is poised in strike mode...cool.

Well, I've read that using the "Extractor" is not really gonna remove the venom from deep with-in a wound, and that it can cause tissue damage....but yeah, I bought one years ago...haven't carried it yet.

also that if it's not used pretty much right after a bite occurs the wound will swell, closing or encapsulating the affected area, and the extractor wont draw the venom out....ymmvFurther...when the "Extractor" came out...they were the Cadillac of the snake bite kit, and Doctor endorsed. As the saying goes, "We pack our fears" and and while they may not carry em anymore, I'll guarantee ya many hikers bought these...but they'll never admit it, hehe ;):D

Silent Stroll
07-17-2013, 10:22
I find them all the time when it's below 88 degrees. Last Friday I came within 1 step of stepping on one. I stay to the rocky trails in PA and they are common. I do not carry a kit but I do carry a light stick when the temps are in the snakes favor.

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 10:32
Do you think they stop moving if it gets to hot? I was at the "Pinnacle" in PA a couple years ago, and it was 95 degrees in August...we couldn't find a one, and I was looking all day.

-SEEKER-
07-17-2013, 10:38
I've seen and taken pictures of three of them.

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 10:43
Tons of great pics here, quite the resource really.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=550

Pathfinder1
07-17-2013, 10:51
Hi...

The dictum primum no nocere (first do no harm) has significant meaning because many poorly substantiated treatments may cause more harm than good, including making incisions over the bite, mechanical suctioning, tourniquet use, ice packs, or electric shock, per eMedicine Emergency Medicine and PubMed.gov.

Silent Stroll
07-17-2013, 10:53
Do you think they stop moving if it gets to hot? I was at the "Pinnacle" in PA a couple years ago, and it was 95 degrees in August...we couldn't find a one, and I was looking all day.

From what little I know, they would be out in the early morning on a hot day and move under the rocks to keep cooler when the temp rises. If its in the 70s or 80s I search for them and take pictues...and I poke them.

mikec
07-17-2013, 10:56
I've seen them along Peters Mountain, PA and south of Culvers Gap, NJ. And I have heard them rattling numerous times but not actually seen them.

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 10:57

From what little I know, they would be out in the early morning on a hot day and move under the rocks to keep cooler when the temp rises. If its in the 70s or 80s I search for them and take pictues...and I poke them.
ooh that's a fat one!

I don't poke em, but I do bring thine staff.

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 10:59
I've seen them along Peters Mountain, PA and south of Culvers Gap, NJ. And I have heard them rattling numerous times but not actually seen them.I swear I heard one rattle South of Culvers Gap about a month ago, as I was stepping down off a rock ledge, but dismissed it thinking it was my tinnitus acting up. hmm!

jersey joe
07-17-2013, 11:10
I swear I heard one rattle South of Culvers Gap about a month ago, as I was stepping down off a rock ledge, but dismissed it thinking it was my tinnitus acting up. hmm!

Well, the mountain just south of Culvers Gap IS called rattlesnake mtn. I saw two in one day in this area. One was just north of the Mohican outdoor center and the other was just south of rattlesnake mtn.

Silent Stroll
07-17-2013, 11:18
ooh that's a fat one!

I don't poke em, but I do bring thine staff.

My first video poking one. I keep turning the phone because I didn't know if the sound would be recorded. Hawk Mtn. PA. I find them their ALL summer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs79T0THaKs

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 11:18
Well, the mountain just south of Culvers Gap IS called rattlesnake mtn. I saw two in one day in this area. One was just north of the Mohican outdoor center and the other was just south of rattlesnake mtn.
That's where it was , when you start heading down to Mohican center or just before, there's that three foot drop right on the trail (really it's like climbing down a big boulder with a notch in it) when I stepped off I heard something and looked back underneath the rock but didn't see anything.

So I guess this doesn't stand for "rocketsock's" mountain after all.22805 :D

Silent Stroll
07-17-2013, 11:19
there* oops

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 11:22
My first video poking one. I keep turning the phone because I didn't know if the sound would be recorded. Hawk Mtn. PA. I find them their ALL summer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs79T0THaKsCool, he's pissed, never seen one in the wild yet, but I'll keep lookin.

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 11:23
there* oops
yeah I use em interchangeably too, hehe

The Solemates
07-17-2013, 12:25
was top ropin in NC one time, was suppose to set up belay on a ledge when I got there and belay my partner up. got up top and there was a 5-6 foot rattler sunning on the granite. biggest one I have every seen. Thankfully I didnt startle it. He was about 10-12 feet away and never moved. I set up belay anyways, but was certainly keeping watch on him more than my partner!

Tipi Walter
07-17-2013, 12:37
Here are some of the snakes I've seen while out backpacking---
http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/keyword/snakes#!i=2575182521&k=4HBZTc4

litefoot2000
07-17-2013, 14:22
Saw only one timber rattler on my thru hike. It was somewhere in PA and was solid black. Evidently, PA is near the northern range of this reptile and they turn dark to absorb all of the available heat.

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 19:16
Here are some of the snakes I've seen while out backpacking---
http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/keyword/snakes#!i=2575182521&k=4HBZTc4

very nice, man those copper heads just blend right in.

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 19:17
Saw only one timber rattler on my thru hike. It was somewhere in PA and was solid black. Evidently, PA is near the northern range of this reptile and they turn dark to absorb all of the available heat.

huh! that's interesting...makes sense, funny how nature works.

Nasty Dog Virus
07-17-2013, 19:22
When I was a kid growing up in Northern Pennsylvania, my father took me to the rattlesnake roundup in Morris, PA a few times. Morris is up near Wellsboro and Pine Creek Gorge. Seeing all those rattlers in one spot was awesome. Plus it was like a little festival with food and games. I assume it still happens...(google, here I come)

Nasty Dog Virus
07-17-2013, 19:27
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Morris+Rattlesnake+Roundup - Apparently it does still happen but not the hundreds of snakes that I remember as a kid.

Nasty Dog Virus
07-17-2013, 19:29
On my last hike in PA we came across a timber rattler. It was on a rock outcropping soaking up some sun. He rattled at me for about 10 seconds then calmed down. I guess if your a rattlesnake your not scared of to much. Who else has came across these. And how often are they found along the AT. Should you use one of those extractors if bitten or will that cause more damage. Thanks for any input and check out the pics.......
That is a beautiful snake!!!

JRushman
07-30-2013, 22:52

Hiking from Rattlesnake Mountain to Mohican Outdoor Center yesterday, I didn't see any rattlesnakes but I did seen someone with "snake gaiters". Thoughts on these? I think I make enough noise with my trekking poles that I scare most wildlife away! Did see a porcupine. Must have been deaf!

Deer Hunter
07-30-2013, 23:25

Not so sure about that. I saw this one on top of The Priest here in Va.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/3/6/3/3/salt_log_gap_to_rt._56_105_thumb.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=41930&catid=member&imageuser=23633)

Teacher & Snacktime
07-31-2013, 00:03
There's a present for you guys in the Creative Corner

Mrs Baggins
07-31-2013, 04:57
I've seen them in PA 4 times, one time one started crawling towards us when we were trying to go around it. Took a lot of thrown rocks to get him to turn around and move off. I'm one of those that would much prefer to never ever see or hear one. Lived in AZ where they'd hang out on your front doorstep in the summer. The last one we came across I didn't see but the person hiking right behind me said that I nearly put my trailing heel down on it and she almost stepped right onto it. All I heard was a blood curdling shriek and then "Oh God oh God oh God oh God" as I leapt straight up and ran as fast as could up the trail for about 50 feet before turning around to find out what was wrong! Then she told me. It was stretched across the trail and slowly crawling into the undergrowth. When the trail is rocky or there's a lot of tall grass, fallen trees, any place where they like to hide, I use my hiking poles to smack the ground, bang on the rocks, smack the fallen trees, whatever noise I can make to get them to crawl away or stay hidden.

jeffmeh
07-31-2013, 07:10
FYI, Timber Rattlers currently range up through the lower halves of New Hampshire and Vermont, and historically have been found above the Canadian border. I have seen them in MA and CT.

Their color can be highly variable, containing black, green, tan, brown, yellow, and gray.

Storm
07-31-2013, 07:17
I've seen them in Pa. before. Once two large ones on the same rock. Everything I've read indicates that you have a good chance that they won't waste their venom on something they can't eat. Mess around poking them and you deserve what you get.

coach lou
07-31-2013, 09:56
I swear I heard one rattle South of Culvers Gap about a month ago, as I was stepping down off a rock ledge, but dismissed it thinking it was my tinnitus acting up. hmm!

I was looking also, but.....................................just real crickets!:D

RangerZ
08-05-2013, 21:58
There are snake roots and root snakes, make sure that you know the difference before you step on one.

rocketsocks
08-05-2013, 22:05
I was looking also, but.....................................just real crickets!:DYeah but it did look like snake Country...huh?