PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite sidetrails you took or places visited off of the AT by State

jelloitsalive
07-17-2013, 00:56
What are your favorite sidetrails you took or places visited off of the AT please list these by State...... I haven't hiked very much of the AT but for MD I would have to say Cunningham Falls State Park. There is a 77' cascading waterfall with a giant rock hill they also have a mini zoo and a Lake beach with sand..... near the halfway point of Maryland, Its about 4 miles heading east off of MD-77 Foxville Rd. And if you can get a ride into the town Thurmont heading east on MD-77 go to Mountain Gate Restaurant (all you can eat buffet really good food best fried chicken ever)

Gry
08-12-2015, 16:03
Dragons Tooth is short and well worth the side trail one of my favorites!

Seatbelt
08-12-2015, 16:29
Here is a few that I recommend in the southern states where I have hiked so far: GA: Long Creek Falls, NC: Standing Indian overlook, Siler Bald summit, Wesser Fire Tower, TN: Shuckstack Fire Tower, Clingmans Dome Lookout, Charlie's Bunion, Mt Cammerrer Tower, Rich Mtn Tower, High Rocks view, Grassy Ridge summit, Overmountain Shelter.

Coffee
08-12-2015, 16:48
The one that comes to mind for me off the top of my head is Hawksbill Mountain in Shenandoah National Park, which can be done as either an out-and-back from the AT via the Salamander Trail or (horrors!) by bypassing a bit of the AT by taking the Salamander up and the Lower Hawksbill Trail down (or the reverse for a SOBO) to rejoin the AT. The out and back is fine and I've done that. But if short on time it's pretty silly (IMO) to skip the summit rather than taking the alternate.

This is just one example ... one of the things I feel pretty strongly about is that I will always opt to see interesting landmarks even if that means taking an alternate. I've reconciled in my mind the acceptability of the "continuous path of footprints" rule on a hike vs. purity to the white blazes. I use this approach on my section hikes and have on thru hikes of other trails, and will when I eventually thru hike the AT.

Hoofit
08-12-2015, 18:28
Dragons Tooth is short and well worth the side trail one of my favorites!

Not exactly a side trail, but I lost the real trail coming down from Dragon's Tooth!
Followed a break down the hillside and ended up at the bottom on a road after crossing someone's farm and avoiding their inquisitive bull!
Spent a magical night up at Dragon's Tooth, woke up looking out from my campsite at an incredible view above the clouds! Truly special. The picture dominated my Facebook page for many months ....

rafe
08-12-2015, 18:43
The loop consisting of Falling Waters Trail, Franconia Ridge, and the Bridle Path Trail is a classic. Terrific views of the entire ridge from The Bridle Path Trail. It's about eight or nine miles round trip, 3600' elevation gain from trailhead to Lafayette summit. I've done it a few dozen times over the years. Never gets old.

Another Kevin
08-12-2015, 18:48
West Mountain shelter in New York. Awesome view. (Alas, the nearest water is some distance away. You can't have everything.) Visit some of the Harriman iron mines and ghost towns, too, if you're interested in archaeology.

Coffee
08-12-2015, 18:52
One to skip: High Rock MD, a short side trail from the AT with views but car accessible and graffiti covered.

Platypus2016
04-21-2016, 17:34
I am surprised Washington DC didn't get more selections here. For more than one reason.. 1.it's our nation's capital 2. Prop 71 passed last year where people can Give you free marijuana.. But don't smoke it or buy it... That'll get you arrested

Oteast
10-24-2016, 08:35
Some good short blue blaze side-trails in the Northern portion I found worth the extra time and effort.

ME: - Gulf Hagas
- Mt. Abraham summit (though at over a mile it is stretching the short criteria, but it is a great above treeline jaunt)
- Sugerloaf Mt. summit

NH: - The Southern & Northern Presidential Peaks the AT bypasses (Mt. Eisenhower, Mt. Franklin, Mt. Pierce, Mt. Monroe, Mt. Adams, Mt. Clay are some I recall the white blazes wove among but didn't summit; these peaks have great views not to miss (unless clouded-in with driving rain). You have to reconciled with being a blue blazer to take advantage of this alternate routing though.
- Mt. Liberty summit

VT: - Killington Mt. summit.

NY: - West Mtn. shelter and summit

VA: - Hawkbill Mt. summit
- Stoney Man summit

illabelle
10-24-2016, 08:51
Another vote for the Grassy Ridge Trail, a little north of Carver's Gap, especially in the June rhododendron bloom. Stunning!

Sarcasm the elf
10-24-2016, 08:58
If you want a long one, the Mohawk trail in CT is a 26? Mile section of former A.T. that connects in two places. In my opinion it's the better piece of trail than the new section that replaced it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/90824-Connecticut-Mohawk-loop-advice

http://mohawktrailct.org/home.html

Grampie
10-24-2016, 09:21
My favorite side trail is the .5 mile blue blaze, on the AT in Mass., that leads to the cabin on beautiful Upper Goose Pond. It's a two story cabin that is for the use of long distance A T hikers. It offers a rustic cabin on a beautiful pond. Great swimming and the use of a canoe. The cabin has a bunk room with bunks with mattresses and is
staffed by volunteer caretakers who may provide overnight guests with a pancake breakfast.

Spirit Walker
10-24-2016, 14:07
Mt. Cammerer (sp.?) fire tower is worth the detour if the weather is good.

Crabtree falls - the tallest vertical falling waterfall east of the Miss. - 1200' in 5 cascades - is a nice alternative to the AT, if there has been rain. I combined it with the Mauhar to get back to the AT.

Upper Goose Pond is definitely worth the visit.

dudeijuststarted
10-24-2016, 14:23
Cade's Cove is accessible by foot from the AT, and its amazing.

dudeijuststarted
10-24-2016, 14:26
I am surprised Washington DC didn't get more selections here.

Sitting on the capitol lawn with a dirty backpack and smelling like a DC bum was a highlight of my hike.

Sandy of PA
10-24-2016, 20:29
Spy Rock in VA, leave your pack at the bottom worth the climb to the top!

rocketsocks
10-24-2016, 23:00
Paraquary copper mine trail

bighammer
12-02-2018, 23:27
I really enjoyed hiking up Old Rag in Shenandoah NP.

Gambit McCrae
12-03-2018, 09:29
I think on the right day, most side trails have their moments at the spectacle of their end.

Although it is flat terrain, I really enjoyed the pinnacle and other side trails in PA

stephanD
12-03-2018, 12:00
The approach trail from Amicalola state Park to Springer (or vise versa) is well worth it. the falls are spectacular.

LazyLightning
12-03-2018, 19:12
I don't understand why so many people skip Amicalola… beautiful falls and it's a nice trail to start on, plus no back tracking. There's a shelter 7.3 miles in, perfect first day while your starting to get used to things.

Somebody told me to do the "caves" trail that's at a shelter in ME. It wasn't in the cards when I went through and I'm still bummed about it and dreaming of getting back there. I know it would be sweet as my buddy told me (who flip flopped) and he knew I'd love it - he said "bring a head lamp"

I went to every view within a half mile when I had visibility and I never saw 2 views that are the same. So if anybody is telling you "every view is the same" or "I already saw that" then you know their full of it. That's like somebody saying they dig a nice cat hole with their trekking pole or their boot, lol.

I'll go ahead and recommend "The Jump Off" and "Charlies Bunion" in GSMNP near Icewater Spring Shelter and then a day or so later the fire tower on Mt. Cammerer is totally worth the .6 mile side trail, one of the best towers on the trail. Fully enclosed inside with windows with a complete wrap around balcony and great 360 views. The .6 mile side trail is not steep or hard either, I actually remember wondering if the tower is at a higher elevation then the side trail on the AT where it cuts off to it. Almost seemed like more down then up going to that tower.

Gambit McCrae
12-04-2018, 09:07
I should have included Grassy Ridge in Roan Highlands.
As well as the pine mountain trail in Grayson Highlands.

One that I already wished I had gone on was the side trail to the general in PA. I didn't know how far it was to the destination, and I was trying to finish up PA the next day (1.5 days early to beat the hurricane) so I skipped it. Later that evening around camp we looked up its details and man oh man what a cool piece of history.

The Washington Monument in MD

Dismal Falls in VA

Spy Rock, VA

Standing Indian Overlook in NC (I skipped it)

Rich mountain Fire tower above Hot Springs, NC

Black stack cliffs in NC

The Red Barn in Roan Highlands

map man
12-04-2018, 09:12
I will add Dismal Falls in Virginia since it hasn't been mentioned yet. The falls aren't as high volume, or have as much vertical drop, as Laurel Falls in Tennessee, but it's still a nice place to experience. The trail to it is around four tenths of a mile and there are some nice camping spots along it.

I don't believe as many thru-hikers make this side trip as used to. When I hiked there in May 2018 there were no signs on the AT for NOBOs or SOBOs mentioning what was at the end of the blue blaze. I just took it on faith that I was headed for the falls because the trail was mentioned in my guidebook and it seemed like I was at about the right mileage for this particular trail to be the right one.

(Edit: Woops, Gambit mentioned Dismal Falls just five minutes before I posted!)

bighammer
12-04-2018, 10:41
I got to say, I can sort of understand the goal and feeling of achievement that comes with completing the whole trail in a season, but it was sad to see people PUSHING to get in miles, just for that goal. Trudging along putting in miles at night with no view, skipping all the side trails and attractions, etc. A very different pace than what I would enjoy.

Crushed Grapes
12-04-2018, 10:51
Dark Hollow / Rose River Falls trails in SNP
Mau Har trail in Three Ridges Wilderness VA

Gambit McCrae
12-04-2018, 11:15
I got to say, I can sort of understand the goal and feeling of achievement that comes with completing the whole trail in a season, but it was sad to see people PUSHING to get in miles, just for that goal. Trudging along putting in miles at night with no view, skipping all the side trails and attractions, etc. A very different pace than what I would enjoy.

Enjoyment for one isn't enjoyment for all. Sometimes the goal comes with sacrifices, and that is okay.

I have walked several hundred miles of my completion of map1 during the night time. Do I wish I saw it during the day? Not really, the nighttime offers a view that most people don't get to see bc they are asleep :) All about perspective.

Back on track of the thread >>

stephanD
12-04-2018, 17:17
Did not hike it (yet), but the side trail to Mount LeConte in the GSMNP is highly recommended. It is a six mile hike, i think, each way from the AT to the lodge.