PDA

View Full Version : Thruhikers report New England trail condition

Jeff
07-17-2013, 09:03
This summer New England has had its share of rain and heat. Hikers are reporting unrelenting mosquitos in Connecticut and Massachusetts. One can hardly stop without being attacked. Fortunately, most hikers say that once in Vermont the mosquito problem gets noticeably better.

Don't leave Kent, CT without a big supply of DEET !!!!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
07-17-2013, 11:55
Is it considered bad form to show up at a shelter with a can of Raid Fogger?

Sly
07-17-2013, 11:59
In heavily infested areas, spray cans of Deep Woods Off (http://www.amazon.com/OFF-01842-DEEP-WOODS-6oz-AREO/dp/B0006OLSAQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1374076803&sr=8-11&keywords=deep+woods+off)* worked best for me.

*says it works for ticks too.

peakbagger
07-17-2013, 13:51
Lot of folks commenting recently in the whites that the black flies are real bad on the ridge lines and summits. I am noticing a goodly amount of deerflys around, Deet doesn't deal with deer flies, about the only thing that does is the sticky patch you stick on your hat so they get trapped when they land

hikerboy57
07-17-2013, 14:06
as hot as its been the number one complaint from hikers from pa thru mass has been the mosquitos w/ ct-mass having the worst.picaridin is a good alternative to deet, doesn't melt stuff.vitamin b1 also helps.

coach lou
07-17-2013, 14:23
Lot of folks commenting recently in the whites that the black flies are real bad on the ridge lines and summits. I am noticing a goodly amount of deerflys around, Deet doesn't deal with deer flies, about the only thing that does is the sticky patch you stick on your hat so they get trapped when they land

My 4-7 July walk in the whites was cake!:-? I soaked my walking clothes in permethrin, 'cause our skeeters have been so thick here, I figured they would be unbearable up north. They were not. Not the green flies or black flies, nor the skeeters. When I did notice the skeeters, I smeared alittle Ultrathon on and It was all good.:D

Driver8
07-17-2013, 23:09
I found plenty of skeeters in the northern most part of the NY section the other day and the thrus I met coming north all complained there were plenty of them in NY, also. Some of the trail journals have spoken of there being tons of them in NJ, to boot.

Jack Tarlin
07-18-2013, 11:11
While the abundance of rain earlier in the season (and subsequently lots of standing water) has probably helped make for a bad bug season, in truth, CT and MA have ALWAYS been the worst parts of the Trail for mosquitoes, so the complaints of this year's hikers are not exactly new. And while I agree that hikers will be hating life if the leave Kent CT without really good bug spray, I suggest they do this when they leave Delaware Water Gap. If Massachusetts is bug hell central, New Jersey and New York can be the bug hell entrance hall. Be warned.

FarmerChef
07-18-2013, 13:57
While the abundance of rain earlier in the season (and subsequently lots of standing water) has probably helped make for a bad bug season, in truth, CT and MA have ALWAYS been the worst parts of the Trail for mosquitoes, so the complaints of this year's hikers are not exactly new. And while I agree that hikers will be hating life if the leave Kent CT without really good bug spray, I suggest they do this when they leave Delaware Water Gap. If Massachusetts is bug hell central, New Jersey and New York can be the bug hell entrance hall. Be warned.

The mosquitoes in CT/MA last year were the worst we've experienced in over 1,300 miles of the trail. NJ and PA couldn't compare. I'm hoping that the spray will be good for Vermont but have heard it lets up a little there. Fingers crossed... I can update this thread if it's still going in a week or so.

Sly
07-18-2013, 14:29
The day out of Unionville was the worst for me.