PDA

View Full Version : October/November section suggestion

Dr Gadget
07-17-2013, 10:39
I have had a major set back to my summer hiking plans because of a dog related knee injury while trail running.:(
I an always cheer myself up by planning a section hike.
I have hiked the Long Trail, the AT in CT and good chunks of the AT in NH, VT and Mass.
Obviously I usually head north to hike but, since I was thinking of indulging myself to celebrate my birthday in November, I thought it was best to head to a southern section of trail. I probably can't take more than 2 weeks off of work and realize I might do better hiking in October than waiting until my b'day in November.
That said, I am looking for a recommendation for a section hike that time of year. I have heard that Virginia is one of the most beautiful parts of the trail AND I can easily get rides in that state. So, I was thinking of hiking there. Still I could not do the whole state in 2 weeks.
What do people recommend??

FarmerChef
07-17-2013, 11:02
I have hiked the Shennies in November and it was beautiful. The earlier you go in the month the better your chance of seeing the fall colors. Otherwise, I would head further south and perhaps do the section from the south end of the park down to Pearisburg depending on your hiking pace/time on trail. You would get to see McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, Dragon's Tooth and a bunch of other beautiful spots down there.

And :welcome to Whiteblaze!

HikerMom58
07-17-2013, 11:12
I have hiked the Shennies in November and it was beautiful. The earlier you go in the month the better your chance of seeing the fall colors. Otherwise, I would head further south and perhaps do the section from the south end of the park down to Pearisburg depending on your hiking pace/time on trail. You would get to see McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, Dragon's Tooth and a bunch of other beautiful spots down there.

And :welcome to Whiteblaze!

+1.... come on down Dr Gadget! The South is beautiful in the Fall!

Teacher & Snacktime
07-17-2013, 11:44
+2 We're heading that way too, but a little sooner....we'll let you know how wonderful it is from another New Englander's prospective!

Dr Gadget
07-17-2013, 12:00
Thanks all!! :) Looking forward to hearing a fellow New Englanders' point of view Teacher and Snacktime!
FarmerChef and if you know, HikerMomKD, how disruptive is the Skyline drive in the Shennies?? It also just dawned on me that if it is leaf season, the road could be very busy??? It looks like, south of Charlottesville, the trail stays farther away from the Blue ridge Parkway and might provide for a more pleasant hiking experience???

FarmerChef
07-17-2013, 12:07
Thanks all!! :) Looking forward to hearing a fellow New Englanders' point of view Teacher and Snacktime!
FarmerChef and if you know, HikerMomKD, how disruptive is the Skyline drive in the Shennies?? It also just dawned on me that if it is leaf season, the road could be very busy??? It looks like, south of Charlottesville, the trail stays farther away from the Blue ridge Parkway and might provide for a more pleasant hiking experience???

I did not find the road very disruptive during my section through the Shennies. But that is, of course, a highly subjective statement. Getting space at shelters/campsites was not a big problem either as the bubbles have passed and most leaf peepers come to see the show from their cars. November is also on the later end which further reduces traffic.

You are definitely right that the further south you go the farther you get away from the BRP and the more "in the woods" you become. The trade off is that services also become fewer and farther. Often a hitch is needed to get to town for resupply. Daleville and the 81 interchange is a good a spot for a break and a mail drop/resupply. In the Shennies there are the Waysides for light resupply and a hot meal. They even still had blackberry milkshakes when we went through.

Coffee
07-17-2013, 12:25
It also just dawned on me that if it is leaf season, the road could be very busy???
Skyline drive gets very busy during leaf season especially on weekends. Probably more likely to be annoyed by road noise rather than crossings especially with the noise from motorcycles. Hiking during the week reduces this issue quite a bit.

HikerMom58
07-17-2013, 12:39
I did not find the road very disruptive during my section through the Shennies. But that is, of course, a highly subjective statement. Getting space at shelters/campsites was not a big problem either as the bubbles have passed and most leaf peepers come to see the show from their cars. November is also on the later end which further reduces traffic.

You are definitely right that the further south you go the farther you get away from the BRP and the more "in the woods" you become. The trade off is that services also become fewer and farther. Often a hitch is needed to get to town for resupply. Daleville and the 81 interchange is a good a spot for a break and a mail drop/resupply. In the Shennies there are the Waysides for light resupply and a hot meal. They even still had blackberry milkshakes when we went through.

+1 to what FarmerChef said.

Resupply gets a lil tough hiking South from Daleville and the same for hiking North until you reach Waynesboro. (But there's Deer Hunter in Buena Vista. :D)

Once you are in the Shenandoah National Park, I've heard those milkshakes are to die for...:D I wonder if the waysides are still open after Labor Day though.:-? FarmerChef???

Now, if you choose to hike Daleville area going South... Make sure you hit up the Homeplace... THey are only open Thurs-Sundays but it's a great place to eat all you want. Southern food perfection = The Homeplace in Catawba VA.

Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob and Dragon's tooth are beautiful. Then, if you really want too get further South... the Viriginia Highlands is beautiful too!!

So many adventures so lil time.

Deer Hunter
07-17-2013, 12:48

Resupply gets a lil tough hiking South from Daleville and the same for hiking North until you reach Waynesboro. (But there's Deer Hunter in Buena Vista. :D)

Once you are in the Shenandoah National Park, I've heard those milkshakes are to die for...:D I wonder if the waysides are still open after Labor Day though.:-? FarmerChef???

Now, if you choose to hike Daleville area going South... Make sure you hit up the Homeplace... THey are only open Thurs-Sundays but it's a great place to eat all you want. Southern food perfection = The Homeplace in Catawba VA.

Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob and Dragon's tooth are beautiful. Then, if you really want too get further South... the Viriginia Highlands is beautiful too!!

I will help out if I can. I'm usually in the woods chasing after deer in November. Dr., When you get your schedule squared away, PM me and I will see what I can do to help if your in my area. :)

FarmerChef
07-17-2013, 12:49

I went in October and November and both times the Waysides were open. The campgrounds however were closed by November so no chance for a snack at the stores there.

Deer Hunter
07-17-2013, 12:55
+2 We're heading that way too, but a little sooner....we'll let you know how wonderful it is from another New Englander's prospective!

If your in my area I will be glad to help you out with a ride or something. It would be nice to meet you whether you need my help or not. :)

fredmugs
07-17-2013, 17:45
My favorite AT section hike was the James River to Pearisburg in mid Oct. Beautiful weather, not very cold at night, and it was peak color season.

Cookerhiker
07-18-2013, 17:19
Any stretch between Pearisburg and Rockfish Gap is nice but make sure you find out the hunting season(s). That won't be an issue in Shenandoah NP.

macdaddy
07-18-2013, 23:19
As far as hunting seasons in VA, in October you may encounter some bowhunters or squirrell hunters outside of SNP. Rifle/Muzzleloader seasons for deer/bear start the beginning of November.:)

macdaddy
07-18-2013, 23:29
If my work schedule allows, I can help with rides, or maybe even hike a day or two. Just hit me up, Swift Run Gap/Rt. 33 entrance to SNP is 15 minutes from home.

Kingbee
07-18-2013, 23:37
+1 on Shenandoah! Fantastic scenery with the leaves in color. You can go from Rockfish gap to Harpers Ferry in 2 weeks, then catch a train home.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-18-2013, 23:54
If your in my area I will be glad to help you out with a ride or something. It would be nice to meet you whether you need my help or not. :)

It would be great to meet you too! We'll be posting a general idea of our trip once it's planned....I'll be sure to let you know when we'll be there!

Deer Hunter
07-19-2013, 00:53
It would be great to meet you too! We'll be posting a general idea of our trip once it's planned....I'll be sure to let you know when we'll be there!

Sounds good. :)

Malto
07-19-2013, 09:20
Given a choice I would not pick SNP as the section. I believe the areas south of the park are lb for lb a better hike than the park. I unfortunately picked Memorial Day weekend last year to hike the section through the park. My head is still echoing from the sounds of the motorcycles. Don't get me wrong, nice area but there is better.

Dr Gadget
07-19-2013, 15:28
Seems the general consensus is for the more southern part of the state esp for leaf peeping time. Yes, I would be so disappointed to have to listen to the roar of motorcycles for the entire time I was out there!
I am planning to take about 2 weeks +/- and am thinking I can cover at least 150 miles in that time. On the northern stretches of the LT, our max days were between 15 and 17 miles per day.
Thanks so much for the reminder about hunting season!! I will be hiking with my big "bear like" Swissy. When does hunter season for squirrels start?? I know I am safer in the woods if it is not deer or bear season but, I always feel little unsettled when I bump into someone in the woods with a gun :eek:.
I ordered some maps and when they come in the mail will be able to get down to some serious planning!! :)

Cookerhiker
07-19-2013, 16:43
The ATC usually publishes the hunting seasons for all AT states but not until closer to the Fall. You may want to contact them but not for another 2 weeks since the biennial conference starts today.

macdaddy
07-19-2013, 19:53
Seems the general consensus is for the more southern part of the state esp for leaf peeping time. Yes, I would be so disappointed to have to listen to the roar of motorcycles for the entire time I was out there!
I am planning to take about 2 weeks +/- and am thinking I can cover at least 150 miles in that time. On the northern stretches of the LT, our max days were between 15 and 17 miles per day.
Thanks so much for the reminder about hunting season!! I will be hiking with my big "bear like" Swissy. When does hunter season for squirrels start?? I know I am safer in the woods if it is not deer or bear season but, I always feel little unsettled when I bump into someone in the woods with a gun :eek:.
I ordered some maps and when they come in the mail will be able to get down to some serious planning!! :)

Squirrell season starts September 7. You can check out all the seasons here:http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/#seasons

Kerosene
07-20-2013, 10:27
I'm pretty sure that you won't find many leaves on the trees through the Shennies in November. I did a section hike in central VA in mid-October 2005 and ended up trudging through a foot of dead leaves my entire hike. It's amazing how much noise that makes, and you can't see the rocks underneath that can turn your ankle! Also, note that it's not unheard to get a bit of snow at higher elevations (I had 6" at 10 degrees (with 70 mph gusts!) atop Roan in late October 2009).

I'd head further south, perhaps between Erwin and Hot Springs. Also, the AT south of Hot Springs is nice as the colors change, especially the view from atop Max Patch.

Dr Gadget
07-25-2013, 10:12
Yes, I am pretty sure I am backing off on the date, more into October. I would hope there would still be some leaves left on the trees!

That said, I hiked a section from northern CT into Mass last year, the second week of November. No leaves but some AWESOMELY perfect hiking weather :) Also I did a stretch in VT in mid October last year and got to see some straggler leaves. So, mid-October in central Virginia could be awesome as long as there is not a really early cold spell! If I miss the leaves I am okay with that! :)

Deer Hunter
07-25-2013, 10:19
Yes, I am pretty sure I am backing off on the date, more into October. I would hope there would still be some leaves left on the trees!

That said, I hiked a section from northern CT into Mass last year, the second week of November. No leaves but some AWESOMELY perfect hiking weather :) Also I did a stretch in VT in mid October last year and got to see some straggler leaves. So, mid-October in central Virginia could be awesome as long as there is not a really early cold spell! If I miss the leaves I am okay with that! :)

The first half of October would be better. The below pictures were taken on October 11th. The stage of color varies within the park (Shenandoah that is), also. Some places can be "at peak" and others will be green, etc.

q-tip
07-25-2013, 10:33
McAfee Knob, southern-mid VA.----

kidchill
07-25-2013, 17:43
I agree with what's been said. On my SOBO I was in the Shennies for peak colors and it was definitely beautiful! But, the leaf peepers drove me crazy! A lot of it was just total lack of trail etiquette and having to dodge people while I was hiking. I also felt this way in the Whites...but, in their defense, they're not trying to lay down miles. On the northern end, Shennies stick out, on the southern end, I would definitely say the area around Mt Rogers and Greyson Highlands. Part of my love for that section, though, was the fact that I hadn't seen views like that since NH. Also, if you're pulling into Damascus there's other stuff to do like mountain biking the Creeper Trail. If you're down towards Hot Springs, there would also be rafting (if I remember right).

HikerMom58
07-25-2013, 19:07
The first half of October would be better. The below pictures were taken on October 11th. The stage of color varies within the park (Shenandoah that is), also. Some places can be "at peak" and others will be green, etc.

Nice!!

McAfee Knob, southern-mid VA.----

Good pics q-tip. I can't get enough of that McAfee Knob view! :)