PDA

View Full Version : it's hot in PA!

Pages
07-17-2013, 11:44
how hot is it where the majority of the hikers are right now? water problems?

- pages

http://fairylandwelcome.blogspot.com/

kidchill
07-17-2013, 16:03
Yah, I live in Central PA and I'll tell yah, it's hot and humid as hell right now! I work in the OR, so when I leave at 1530 it's like walking into a sauna! I will NOT be hiking any time soon...can't wait for fall though! I honestly don't know how I tolerated ME, NH, VT going SOBO last year...

Slo-go'en
07-17-2013, 16:06
It's pretty brutal everywhere right now. We're suppost to get some relief this weekend in Northern NH and Maine, but it could be short lived. Can't wait until Sunday night when the low is suppost to be 49 :)

The Solemates
07-17-2013, 16:29
106 here with the heat index. 100 without. its just starting to get hot though. been a very mild summer so far.

Magic_Rat
07-17-2013, 16:33
I have 15 miles until Delaware Water Gap. This section is notorious for few and far water sources. The heat has made it... interesting. Luckily all the rain earlier this month has meant no dry springs so far.

kidchill
07-17-2013, 16:56
I have 15 miles until Delaware Water Gap. This section is notorious for few and far water sources. The heat has made it... interesting. Luckily all the rain earlier this month has meant no dry springs so far.

Yah, I remember leaving DWG going SOBO and was like, ***!? No water for roughly 15miles!! Then, the 2nd day was even worse! I ended up quite dehydrated that day! It's probably better to bring extra then not enough. I also refused to take the time to hit springs that were listed as unreliable and a mile off the trail, downhill...Problem was, I hadn't carried water since VT, so for me, it was not only a PITA, but meant I had more pack-weight then I was used to!

hikerboy57
07-17-2013, 17:03
been mid90s here in ny. I live by the beach and it was 96 degrees in my house when I got home last night.ive spoken to some of the people I hiked with in the south that just hit ny, as well as a few I know in ct/mass. they seem to have acclimated to the heat somewhat, but all tell me the bugs have been ridiculous.

Pedaling Fool
07-17-2013, 17:04
Well, if we're lucky the sun will go out http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-07/if-sun-went-out-how-long-could-life-earth-survive

Nasty Dog Virus
07-17-2013, 19:06
Yeah its hot. 91 at 7pm. I'm about 10mins from the Swatara Gap AT crossing. The bugs have been bothering me more than the heat. I needed a head net yesterday in the Haldeman and Greenland tracts of Weiser St Forest. The deet only kept them from landing on me but I was constantly swarmed while hiking. Bugs are worse than normal this year imo...

Wise Old Owl
07-17-2013, 19:58
Uh yea its a green tunnel and cool and there is pixi dust and little forest furry animals... no water issues.

skippysjs
07-17-2013, 21:11
'Just finished a two day, twenty mile hike SOBO from Caledonia State Park to Maryland. Water sources were all good, but the heat was oppressive.