PDA

View Full Version : the bird cage

neo
07-29-2005, 23:52
i highly recomend staying at rob,s house in dalton mass.aka the bird cage,he is an awesome guy,:cool: neo

Nean
07-30-2005, 02:06
Met Rob at Trail Days and he seemed like a nice man, but if I'm ever back in Dalton, I'll stay at Tom Levardis'. Years ago I was with a group who defined what we considered Trail Angels: people who would help anybody and available to everybody w/o expecting anything in return. Of the millions of people in the east only one was considered an Angel on the AT, my friend, Tom Levardi

Blue Jay
07-30-2005, 08:31
Met Rob at Trail Days and he seemed like a nice man, but if I'm ever back in Dalton, I'll stay at Tom Levardis'. Years ago I was with a group who defined what we considered Trail Angels: people who would help anybody and available to everybody w/o expecting anything in return. Of the millions of people in the east only one was considered an Angel on the AT, my friend, Tom Levardi

How very sad for you and your "group". You need to look around just a little more and maybe open your eyes.

Lone Wolf
07-30-2005, 08:45
Tom is a great guy and all but I would never stay in his yard again cuz there is nowhere to releave yourself in the morning. :cool:

sasquatch2014
12-16-2007, 14:31

I have to put Rob down as one of my Angels. I had really bad blisters and was unable to find what I needed in Cheshire MA. I made it into Dalton and was limping my way to the drug store at the far side of town when a man came out from the gas station and said "if your looking for the trail its the other way" I told him where I was going and why. He offered for me to drop my pack in his back room and introduced himself just as Rob. It took a few seconds and then I put two and two togther and figured out who he was. I took him up on this offer. I fixed up my feet the best that I could and said I was going to keep going I was to meet a friend in another day south in Lee. Rob gave me his number and said that if i found I could not go on to give him a call and he would get me off the trail and to my car. The next day I found that I could not bear any weight on my feet and gave him the call. He was true to his word. I my eyes a real Angel.

bigmac_in
06-05-2008, 21:13
Good writing. Keep up the good work.I love this site, let's go together, seize everyday, just do it! Power level up (http://www.runescape-power-leveling.us/),Making more money. Runing a runescape gold (http://www.gprunescape.com) store , A good beginning is a half done. Ms mesos (http://www.maplestorymesos.us/), A new Age of conan (http://www.ageofconangold.ws) . Good luck, and enjoy it!

UM - spam alert?

Dingus Khan
06-07-2008, 06:01
ditto, was walking the road in dalton, rob pulled over, introduced himself and offered a ride to the trail head.
nice guy!

George
06-07-2008, 17:56
Robs basic service I find to be closest to the hike inn at fontana for which they fairly charge about 45$ with his volume I figure he does 20-30K per year for free refusing any attempt I could make to pay. This is why he got his frozen blender drinks hand delivered at trail days,along with miss janet(another one who is difficult to pay fairly)and trail angel Mary

Rockhound
06-07-2008, 19:40
How very sad for you and your "group". You need to look around just a little more and maybe open your eyes.
wow! you seem real touchy. I don't think he was putting down your friend. In fact I believe he said he was a nice guy. He simply met someone else in that area who had a positive impact on his hike. Can there be more than 1 trail angel in that area or is Rob the only 1 allowed?

Rockhound
06-07-2008, 19:43
Tom is a great guy and all but I would never stay in his yard again cuz there is nowhere to releave yourself in the morning. :cool:
releave yourself? Is that like doing astral projection more than once?

CrumbSnatcher
06-07-2008, 20:09
rob of dalton rocks,i took 21 zeros in 2004 i thought he likes to help hikers but keeping it all on the down low(kinda like the bat cave)

Blue Jay
06-08-2008, 10:54
wow! you seem real touchy. I don't think he was putting down your friend. In fact I believe he said he was a nice guy. He simply met someone else in that area who had a positive impact on his hike. Can there be more than 1 trail angel in that area or is Rob the only 1 allowed?

Thank you for responding in just under 3 YEARS.:welcome

wolf
09-28-2008, 20:38
need robs phone number

Terry7
10-02-2008, 16:52
Rob invited me to stay at his house for 6 days until I got better from being sick wth a fever. He and his son are great people, who helped me when I truely needed help. I will be sure to stop by on next years hike.

Terry7
10-02-2008, 16:55
need robs phone number
You can call info and get the # for the Shell Gas Station, Rob owns it. There is only one Shell in Dalton.

Footslogger
10-02-2008, 17:36
I walked into Dalton in 2003 and as I got near the end of Depot street a car was backing out of a driveway. The driver asked me where I was headed and I said that I was looking for Rob's place. Without hesitation he gave me directions to the Bird Cage and also said that I could stop in at the Shell station to see if Rob was there. I thanked the guy and went over to the Shell station and from there to Rob's house.

As I was getting settled at Rob's I mentioned my having gotten directions from a guy over on Depot street. Rob heard me and said ..."Oh that was Tom". He runs a hostel here in town too and we work together to make sure all hikers have a place to stay.

Pretty amazing as I think back on it. Tom could have easily just steered me to his place, which I found out later that night had plenty of open space.

True story ...

'Slogger

CrumbSnatcher
10-02-2008, 17:48
I walked into Dalton in 2003 and as I got near the end of Depot street a car was backing out of a driveway. The driver asked me where I was headed and I said that I was looking for Rob's place. Without hesitation he gave me directions to the Bird Cage and also said that I could stop in at the Shell station to see if Rob was there. I thanked the guy and went over to the Shell station and from there to Rob's house.

As I was getting settled at Rob's I mentioned my having gotten directions from a guy over on Depot street. Rob heard me and said ..."Oh that was Tom". He runs a hostel here in town too and we work together to make sure all hikers have a place to stay.

Pretty amazing as I think back on it. Tom could have easily just steered me to his place, which I found out later that night had plenty of open space.

True story ...

'Sloggerboth rob and tom are great. i wouldn't call either one a hostel though. they don't charge to stay. hell i had trouble with both of them not wanting to take my donations. tom lets you tent in the yard and he serves dinner and snacks quite often. last i knew rob ran the gas station but wasn't the owner. maybe thats changed. robs cool, take ya to dinner,the movies, alot of people slack from Mt.greylock back to the house in dalton. rob doesn't take money very often,but if your in the stores buy extra mountain money(toilet paper) or shampoo, laundry detergent or whatever the hikers need to keep robs cost down. pay for his dinner when he takes a group out in the evening or something IMO.

Jack Tarlin
10-03-2008, 17:28
Gotta agree with with what folks have already said. Rob and Tom are both great folks, Dalton's lucky to have 'em, and so are all the hikers fortunate enough to meet either of these guys.

Kirby
10-24-2008, 15:02
I stayed with Tom, he is an AMAZING person.

First, he gave me soda and ice cream. Then, he offered to let us sleep inside due a storm that was supposed to move through the area that night. He also cooked several of us hikers a full blown pasta dinner with salad and bread. He also let us shower, which felt great.

He is a great guy, which made Dalton a great town. When I asked if he could shuttle me somewhere, all he wanted was re-imbursement for gas.

Kirby

Screech
12-11-2008, 17:05
I cant seem to find Robs number in my stuff nor can I find the Shell stations number on the internet. Can anybody PM me robs number?

-SEEKER-
03-15-2011, 14:32
I will be resuming my NOBO hike this year in June at Lake Buel Rd in MA. By the time I get to Dalton or Cheshire, at the latest, I am going to want to shower, do laundry and get a mail drop. Are either of these places still operating and do they accept mail drops and offer showers? Any other options in these two towns? I would not want to do an expensive hotel/motel thing.

Jeff
03-15-2011, 14:44
Both Tom and Bob are alive and well in Dalton, MA. I am certain your request for a shower will be met.....not aware if they accept mail drops. The zip code for the Dalton PO is 01227

Montana Mac
03-15-2011, 19:54
On my 09 hike I stayed at the Bird Cage. Rob is a great guy. He will do the laundry and at the time had "loaner clothes" so you could was all of your laundry. Also the shower was hot. He then shuttled me around for shopping and dinner - and did not want money!.. I left a donation on the table when I left.

He is a true friend to the hikers

adamkrz
03-15-2011, 19:59
I will be resuming my NOBO hike this year in June at Lake Buel Rd in MA. By the time I get to Dalton or Cheshire, at the latest, I am going to want to shower, do laundry and get a mail drop. Are either of these places still operating and do they accept mail drops and offer showers? Any other options in these two towns? I would not want to do an expensive hotel/motel thing.

Cheshire has a newer hostel called Mason Hill on West Mountain rd. It is super clean and great place to spend a night. # 413 743-2492

Wise Old Owl
03-15-2011, 20:44
oh this is such an ol thread.

-SEEKER-
03-15-2011, 21:04
oh this is such an ol thread.

I found this old thread and had a question about services in this particular area so I posted here rather than start a new thread. I thought that was the preferred way of doing things!:confused: Are you a grumpy old owl?;)

BTW. Thanks for the replies they are very helpful.

Wise Old Owl
03-15-2011, 21:17
Yes, thank you.

And that was funny...