PDA

View Full Version : do you keep your head down when you hike?

hikerboy57
07-17-2013, 15:51
when you hike, do you keep your head down watching your foot placement, or do you keep your eyes up and enjoy the surroundings you're hiking through?

T.S.Kobzol
07-17-2013, 15:56
Depends on the terrain but hiking in Maine and NH I pretty much keep my head down most of the time.

Tipi Walter
07-17-2013, 15:56
Loaded question. Ya gotta keep your head down in the summer for rattlesnakes and copperheads. In the fall ya gotta keep looking for yellow jacket nests in or by the trail. And if you're humping an 80 lb pack it's good to keep your eyeballs fixed on boot placement pretty much all the rest of the year.

Sometimes near the end of a trip when my pack is light I like to eyeball my surroundings and heck I do it all the time anyway just by slowing down some. Or stopping.

johnnybgood
07-17-2013, 16:02
It depends on the terrain. I'm quite adept at hiking and enjoying the scenery on semi flat ground .

On downhills it's all about foot placement. Steep uphills are head down always...until the hill is conquered.

hikerboy57
07-17-2013, 16:02
for myself I find after an hour or so of hiking I get into a zone where my feet know where to go without me thinking about it. I don't look directly down but rather 10-15 feet ahead of me, with my peripheral vision is enough.thre are exceptions of course over some rocky and rooty stretches , and of course on steep downs its essential.

daddytwosticks
07-17-2013, 16:10
Ha! Throw wearing bifocals into this equasion for some fun! :)

Dogwood
07-17-2013, 16:10
Loaded question. NO. The immediate tread isn't what makes a hike to me. For me, a hike is about me SEAMLESSLY becoming one with my surroundings which are not limited to a tread/path or what's at my feet. I'm aware of where I'm walking but not focused directly on the ground at my feet. I'm looking ahead and something that's about a 270* frontal view. I also don't typically use trekking poles which when using them I think gets a hiker more focused on the ground on much terrain/trails. Personality/attitude. state also play into this head down scenario. I'm not prone to or into allowing myself to be in a angry, depressed, sad, exhausted, introverted, selfish, or the world revolves immediately around me state.

johnnybgood
07-17-2013, 16:18
Loaded question. I'm not prone to or into allowing myself to be in a angry, depressed, sad, exhausted, introverted, selfish, or the world revolves immediately around me state.

You lost me this time Dogwood. Where did the angry , selfish hiker bit come from ?

Kerosene
07-17-2013, 16:19
Over the years I've learned how to keep my head up most of the time while I'm hiking. Certainly it's a bit harder up north, or on a steep descent, but I'm pretty good at it. I almost always see oncoming hikers well before they see me.

actate
07-17-2013, 16:40
My feet have an uncanny ability to find even the slightest rock, root, depression, or even nut to trip me up. Therefore, I do tend to glance at my feet a lot, although rarely do I fixate on them. I usually try to look ahead, plan my footfalls, and look around while I'm making those steps. Only on steep downhills, muddy or slippery spots, or when an area is full of rocks and roots do I concentrate on my feet. Going uphill I tend to look ahead, particularly if I can see the top of the ascent. Keeping my eye on the goal helps me get up there quicker.

Just Bill
07-17-2013, 16:42
I have no opinion on this subject.

Rasty
07-17-2013, 16:44

Sure you don't :D

Pedaling Fool
07-17-2013, 16:47
It's just in my nature to always be looking all around. It's NOT safe to just look at the ground where your foot is about to land; if people actually do this they must be paranoid of snakes.

When I go on a long distance bike tour I do the same thing, except I also have a mirror to scan as well. When I get done with the tour it usually takes me a while to get out of the habit of looking at my watch as if it' a mirror. I know, it's weird, but for some reason after a bike tour everytime I look at my watch I expect to see my mirror:confused:

Drybones
07-17-2013, 16:59

Me neither........don't know why I laughed so hard at this post.....perverted sense of humor perhaps.

JustaTouron
07-17-2013, 17:02
When my feet are in motion, I am looking down....I look up/around when I pause. HOWEVER, being a I pause often, particularly when going up hill, I tend to get a pretty good look at the scenery.

hikerboy57
07-17-2013, 17:17
I was counting on that

Just Bill
07-17-2013, 17:21
happy to help!

evyck da fleet
07-17-2013, 17:36
Based on the frequency with which I kick roots and slip on wet roots, I'm pretty sure I look up, down, left, right, forward and behind me while I'm hiking.

Drybones
07-17-2013, 17:41
George.......watch out for that tree!

Train Wreck
07-17-2013, 17:53
I keep my head down when I cyberhike because I 'm a terrible typist.

Malto
07-17-2013, 17:58
I normally will never be looking at my feet. Frankly, I don't even think about what I'm looking at. I noticed that after I started trail running and after hiking many thousands miles that foot placement became second natured.

HooKooDooKu
07-17-2013, 17:59
Depends upon the likelyhood of poison-ivy being around.

jeffmeh
07-17-2013, 18:01
As said, it depends on the terrain. Rarely in northern New England is the trail clear enough of roots and rocks to spend significant time without watching for foot placement. When it presents itself, I take advantage of it. Generally, I quickly scan ahead, so I do think I take in most of my surroundings, but then it's back to looking down.

In the west, I have found long sections of trail that are much easier to hike without worrying about foot placement.

Edro
07-17-2013, 18:03
I tend to look down 10-15 ahead of me until i encounter a low hanging tree branch.

hikerboy57
07-17-2013, 18:09
I can agree with something dogwood said about trekking poles. ive learned to put them away over rocks and roots, as I have to think about where the poles are going rather than just walk across the rocks/roots. I also keep my eyes in front of me on uphills so that I don't think "how much farther". those three words will tire you out more than the terrain itself.

Drybones
07-17-2013, 18:16
Depends upon the likelyhood of poison-ivy being around.

4 of us guys and 9 gals did a night hike, in torrential rain, week end before last, on the Pinhoti over Dugger Mt, from Burns Trailhead to FS500, about 9 miles. I was leading the group, the trail disappeared into waste deep poison ivy, didn't have the heart to tell them what they were wading through. I haven't heard any bad reports from any of them so hopefully none were allergic to it, the rain probably help wash the ivy oil off.

Kookork
07-17-2013, 18:22
Depending on the terrain I divide my attention to three different distances. 60 percent on where I put my feet immediately , 30 percent on the immediate trail ( say 10 to 30 feet ahead) and 10 percent looking at the bigger picture and scenery and wildlife.

These percentages varies widely depending on the terrain but they are always part of my visual attention.

rocketsocks
07-17-2013, 18:25
I think I prolly scan the area in front of me 5-8 feet and then look around...then repeat as necessary for snakes, holes, roots, rocks, and vistas.

Dogwood
07-17-2013, 18:29
You lost me this time Dogwood. Where did the angry , selfish hiker bit come from ?

I can see why. I was off base with some of those adjectives. That physiology, how one holds their body in a heads down position, really doesn't aptly apply to someone who's angry and, only sometimes, to someone who's being selfish(as in someone trying to hide something or focused inwardly). I think the rest of those adjectives can aptly apply though to someone in a consistent slumped over, shoulders drooping, chin down, and vision focused down position. In a real sense, our inward states are reflected by our outward physioogy; that's my main pt.

atmilkman
07-17-2013, 19:11
I keep my head down when I cyberhike because I 'm a terrible typist.
I use my index fingers like hiking poles.

slow mind
07-17-2013, 19:39
Great question HB. I haven't read this whole thread but my honest answer is I don't know. Never really paid attention to it.

ryanwflynn
07-18-2013, 01:11
My eyes are always here, there, and everywhere!

English Stu
07-18-2013, 09:56
With me I must be subconsciously looking all the time, as soon as I fiddle with the MP3 or look at map whilst I am walking I trip or stumble.

-SEEKER-
07-18-2013, 10:25
I feel like I hike head down but, somehow I still end up with hundreds of pictures.

Rasty
07-18-2013, 11:31
Only when it's really needed to get through roots or rocks.

WalksInDark
07-18-2013, 12:06
It's the rocks, stupid! :)

For me, my eyes are mostly on the ground...directly in front of me (+18"), then after I have found a safe footfall, I scan out 5-10' both on the trail and an equal distance out to both sides. When I pause walking, I l spend 30 seconds to a couple of minutes checking out the scenery. Every 15-30 minutes I do a dead stop and turn scan the area behind me. After all, being a short, old, slow hiker I have to worry about bobcats, bears, and the occasional possum sneaking up on me. :eek::eek:

Without thinking about it, my eyes constantly scan my surroundings for movement. If something catches my eye, I stop, look, and listen.

You would be quite surprised to see how many critters and artifacts are out there when you just take the time to actually see them!

fredmugs
07-18-2013, 12:19
for myself I find after an hour or so of hiking I get into a zone where my feet know where to go without me thinking about it. I don't look directly down but rather 10-15 feet ahead of me, with my peripheral vision is enough.thre are exceptions of course over some rocky and rooty stretches , and of course on steep downs its essential.

Same here except for me it's the DANGERZONE. I am currently sporting 3 dead black toenails and one completely missing that I yanked off. Thanks Long Trail!

fins1838
07-18-2013, 12:29
Ever since almost stepping on a rattlesnake in Pa. I find I look at the ground in front of me. Occasionaly I remember to look around and take in the scenery.

slbirdnerd
07-18-2013, 12:54
Not much. I would rather fall, a little, than miss everything.

Theosus
07-18-2013, 13:14
When I'm barefoot, damn straight! When I'm shod, I usually look 6-10 feet in front of me most of the time.

joshuasdad
07-18-2013, 18:58
The distance I look ahead on the trail is generally proportional to how far south I am on the AT. Most of the South I can hike head up, Rocksylvania I can look a few rocks ahead, New Hampshire I am so tired I can only think about the next step.

kayak karl
07-18-2013, 19:33
when i trip over a root it's when i have my head up. when i bang a low limb, i have my head down. :)

RCBear
07-19-2013, 08:08
Only if my toes are covered. I have ugly toes. I can pick up a quarter with my toes. From under the sofa. In the back corner.

Cyngbaeld
07-20-2013, 10:58
I have poor peripheral vision from wearing glasses since I was a small child. So I do watch my feet. However, I tend to glance around after every few steps. I don't listen to music while I'm hiking and have sharp ears so any little sound will attract my attention. Amazing what you can see if you are listening.

kolokolo
07-21-2013, 11:27
when you hike, do you keep your head down watching your foot placement, or do you keep your eyes up and enjoy the surroundings you're hiking through?No choice in PA. I had to watch nearly every step.

leaftye
07-21-2013, 11:29
It depends on how healthy and strong my ankles are and the trail tread. My head is up plenty either way though.

rocketsocks
07-21-2013, 23:07
I think I prolly scan the area in front of me 5-8 feet and then look around...then repeat as necessary for snakes, holes, roots, rocks, and vistas.Yep...lookin down, that's how I do it.

I think this was taken between Wind Gap and DWG, PA

MuddyWaters
07-22-2013, 00:12
Only when I need to see where Im stepping.

Thats only when going uphill, or downhill, or over roots, or rocks.

Just about 80% of the time I would say.

I do take quick glances up and around to look for wildlife, etc.

But quite often, I have had someone speak to me I didnt even see coming, surprises the heck out of me when that happens.

gizzy bear
07-22-2013, 11:01
Only if my toes are covered. I have ugly toes. I can pick up a quarter with my toes. From under the sofa. In the back corner.

and you sleep hanging from a branch...

Odd Man Out
07-22-2013, 14:21
I know that I tend to walk with my head down more than I need to or want to. When it's necessary, that's one thing. But when it's not necessary, I consider it a bad habit of mine. On Memorial Day I took a day hike at Muskegon State Park. It was an easy trail and had no reason to be looking at the ground. I stopped to see how far back my hiking partner was and there about 5 yards off the trail on a branch at eye level is a Scarlet Tanager. It was dumb luck I stopped to turn around - otherwise I would have missed it. At the time I remember wondering wondered how many time I walked by something like that because I was unnecessarily looking at the ground.

flemdawg1
07-22-2013, 14:40
I do some of both (head up and down), having learned the hard way that that doing too much of either is hazardous. Keeping my head down going over rocky ground in MD, caused me to follow a non-AT off the mountain and a mile roadwalk back up. Keeping my head up too much once caused me to trip on a root and roll 12 feet down a hill, smacking my nose into a tree (bled like a pig for a couple of minutes).

rocketsocks
07-22-2013, 16:13
I know that I tend to walk with my head down more than I need to or want to. When it's necessary, that's one thing. But when it's not necessary, I consider it a bad habit of mine. On Memorial Day I took a day hike at Muskegon State Park. It was an easy trail and had no reason to be looking at the ground. I stopped to see how far back my hiking partner was and there about 5 yards off the trail on a branch at eye level is a Scarlet Tanager. It was dumb luck I stopped to turn around - otherwise I would have missed it. At the time I remember wondering wondered how many time I walked by something like that because I was unnecessarily looking at the ground.No doubt. It always amazes me how when I hike in the winter months and see things that I never noticed before or hike the same area after "leaf out" and it's completely different....fresh, anew!

Nasty Dog Virus
07-22-2013, 20:04
I would love to be able to hike without looking where I step but that's just not a safe option here in PA. Especially north of 501. I'm sure that I miss a lot of wildlife while looking down...

dink
07-22-2013, 20:59
I do more of the stroll speed not the hike speed so I tend to have eyeball bounce trying too see absolutely everything...even do the spin totally around quite often to make sure I didn't miss any cool sights...only gets me moving around 2.5 to 3MPH but I am in no race!!

Another Kevin
07-23-2013, 21:33
2.5 to 3 mph is pretty fast where I hike - in my usual conditions I budget a half-hour to the mile plus 30-40 min for a thousand feet of elevation change. (OK, so maybe I'm a snail.)

I'm both a head-bumper and a rock-kicker, so I can't tell you whether I look down too much or too little.

Pedaling Fool
07-24-2013, 09:32
I'm both a head-bumper and a rock-kicker, so I can't tell you whether I look down too much or too little.
Ha, Ha, that reminds me....I was hiking in Maine, at a really good pace uphill, feelin' good, feelin' real good, when all of a sudden I rammed my head into a low-hanging branch, this branch wasn't a little twiggy branch, it had mass. I remember that funny feeling in my jaw as my head got jammed down into my neck and then I plummeted all the way down into a little ravine. It was your classic turtle position and I'm sure my arms and legs were also doing those pathetic turtle motions. It really hurt and I was literally woozy and unsteady as I finally got back up. Never did get back into a rhythm after that.

F*** the snakes, they better move out of my way because I ain't lookin' down any more ;)

heyoka87
07-25-2013, 14:39
sure do - at least in maine. I guess i could look up more at a damn good chance of killing myself ! I always tell folks that there are literally miles at a time where i do no more but take quick furtive glances at whats around me . My son says the same thing .

Just Bill
07-25-2013, 16:01
Always nice to hear from a sacred clown :D

blue indian
07-26-2013, 21:08
Great thread. I've always wondered this about other hikers. I feel like I look down too much.

I typically walk with my head at such an angle that I see mostly ground but about 10 yards ahead as well. I will stop and take a look around and listen every 30 minutes or so. I bet I've missed some awesome stuff causing I was hauling it down trail.

Dogwood
07-27-2013, 00:19
No choice in PA. I had to watch nearly every step.

By the time I got to PA I was so in such a ZEN state being one with my surroundings(Universe) and having had my physical senses so acutely developed and in such a stronger physical shape I literally often ran over the rocks. When I'm in that state I can read a book while hiking and be OK; I can sense things coming before they happen. I'm so instinctively developed as a long distance hiker mentally, muscle memory, awareness, etc that even after having not hiked in a while I naturally revert into a mental, physical, and spiritual rhythm in short order. I like being in this state so much that it's one of the prime reasons why I long distance hike. Hiking FOR ME is not about confining myself to an 18" wide beaten down tread!

Interestingly, I've never fallen or hurt myself when maintaining this state. When I fall I'm typically too focused on just hiking by making it happen just through my mental and physical abilities! When I can transcend being simply limited to the physical and mental that's where the MAGIC of hiking and living happens. Couple that with KNOWING you are in the right place at the right time doing what you KNOW you should be doing and ....MIRACLES happen! GREAT place to be. It's where we are meant to be! Our choice.