PDA

View Full Version : Another Rainman?

Lugnut
07-30-2005, 01:01
Was just looking at the photos section and noticed the Rainman in the latest pictures looks nothing like the Rainman we are used to. Can it be that there are two of them? Can that possibly be a good thing? :eek:

attroll
07-30-2005, 01:18
That is a scary thought isn't it. I hope everyone will realize that the names are speeled different. Rainman and Rain Man. The is a space in one of the names. I hope they are not the same in person. LOL.

Nean
07-30-2005, 01:32
The Rainman I Know and consider a friend has been around since AT9...at least. NO, he is not anything like the Rain Man here.

attroll
07-30-2005, 01:39
The Rainman I Know and consider a friend has been around since AT9...at least. NO, he is not anything like the Rain Man here.
Yes that is yet another Rainman. LOL.

Rain Man
07-30-2005, 10:24
There was a young "Rainman" who lasted a few months on here a year or two ago. I've heard of one who, I think, thru-hiked some years ago. Then also there's one who just finished the Long Trail and is posting a TrailJournal after the fact. Others?

I separate the name. Matches the initials of my real name, Raymond Myers.

Rain:sunMan

Blister
07-30-2005, 17:03
I hiked with Rainman on the PCT as my significant other in 96. He hiked the AT in 89 and 92. Definatley more than one out there. I also met another Rainman in 99 when I dropped weathercarrot off in Mass at Tom Lavartis (sp?) house.

Lugnut
07-30-2005, 18:15
I separate the name. Matches the initials of my real name, Raymond Myers

I didn't pick up on the separation part. There's always some damn technicality! :datz

attroll
07-30-2005, 19:58
I hiked with Rainman on the PCT as my significant other in 96. He hiked the AT in 89 and 92. Definatley more than one out there. I also met another Rainman in 99 when I dropped weathercarrot off in Mass at Tom Lavartis (sp?) house.
I think this is hte same Rainman I am thinking of. He use to have a web site.

HikerHobo
07-30-2005, 20:09
Perhaps one should start copyrighting their trail name. How can legends grow and developer when new-comers constantly infringe upon one's name, causing confusion and misidentification? Identity theft is a growing problem in the real world and now in the hiking world.... How many L. Wolfs can exist in the hiking world before the real Wolf's legend is diluted to the depths of mediocrity? Copyright for 26 years and renewable once for 26 more years. In 52 years, the trail name L. Wolf would become public domain and available for public use again. But, by then the Appalachian trail will be paved in concrete.

max patch
07-30-2005, 20:54
http://www.trailquest.net/RMintro.html

attroll
07-30-2005, 21:06
http://www.trailquest.net/RMintro.html
Yes that was the Rainman I was thinking of.

Rainman
07-30-2005, 23:14
OK. I admit it, I am the new Rainman. I am certainly not trying to infringe on anyone else's identity or borrow anyone else's notoriety. I hike for my own reasons and being "known" certainly is not one of them.

I have been a Whiteblazer since about January and originally used my own name because I had not yet "earned" a trail name. I felt strongly that I should use a trail name given to me by fellow hikers, not just one I thought sounded cool. Check out my unfinished Trailjournal if you have a mind to and you'll see that I earned the trail name honestly. I also posted the new name on the thread dealing with trail names.

So, I guess this post might sound a bit defensive. That's not my intent. But, let's cut people some slack. Rain Man was the first person to sign my TrailJournals.com guestbook and he certainly had no problem with my trail name. If we are going to be a "Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts" then we should let that community grow as large as it wishes to.

BTW, how many "Michaels" do you know. That's my real name. Should I give that up too because someone else's mother gave it to them?

Lugnut
07-31-2005, 00:19
So, now you're blaming it on poor Kenny Forster! Have you no shame?
Actually, the whole thing started as a funny observation. It seems that the other "Rain Man" isn't bothered by it and I'm sure no one else is either.
Welcome aboard! :welcome

Rainman
07-31-2005, 06:34
So, now you're blaming it on poor Kenny Forster! Have you no shame?
Actually, the whole thing started as a funny observation. It seems that the other "Rain Man" isn't bothered by it and I'm sure no one else is either.
Welcome aboard! :welcomeYes Lugnut, it is all Kenny's fault, or maybe he shares the blame with the rain gods - LOL. Thanks for the humor, understanding, and welcome.

TOW
07-31-2005, 06:55
well, there better not be another "The Only Wanderer" lurking around here, the trail is just not that big.....could go back to my first trail name i suppose, "Fat Boy Turtle" but it have to change to "Fat Boy Half Rabbit" because i have acquired a little speed since then.....

Nean
07-31-2005, 17:07
I must admit sharing a trail name can be confusing and surprisingly difficult. When Scott Williamson decided to use my trail name, LETITBE, I was honored. After a few years of defending myself I had to ask Scott to stop. I stopped using the name myself just so I wouldn't have to explain anymore. I got that name my 4th day on the trail and had it a long time. Thought it better to live the name than wear it.

neo
07-31-2005, 17:20
i only know one rain man,he is from nashville tn,he is one heck of a nice guy

a true hiker,thru and thru.:cool: neo

Rain Man
07-31-2005, 22:04
OK. I admit it, I am the new Rainman. ...

... Rain Man was the first person to sign my TrailJournals.com guestbook and he certainly had no problem with my trail name....

Heck, if you're the new one, does that make me the "old Rain Man"?!!!!
:jump
Naw, I don't have a problem. Hope it doesn't confuse folks, though.

Just remember, I'm the handsome one!!!
:dance
We can always sue each other, I do believe, if you know what I mean.

fiddlehead
08-01-2005, 00:03
I've seen other "fiddlehead"s over the years so, if i'm hiking the same year as them, i go by "fiddleheadpa" or "fiddlehead with guitar" it helps clear up confusion.
The Rainman i hike with (a lot) sometimes is "RainmanVT" as he is from New England and has lived in all the northern New England states i believe.
He had the name since '89 I believe when he first thru-hiked the AT. His name is very appropriate as i hiked across the Mojave with him in 96 it rained thru the normally hot section. I believe he got the name because it rained his first 10 days on the trail that 1st yearon the AT.
He will be showing a video he made on a Grand Canyon AZ hike he did this past winter at the gathering this fall at Dartmouth
He is also the star of my "Here & Now in Nepal" video from last year.
I believe i have met 3 or 4 other "Rainman"s over the years but he is the one who comes to my mind everytime i hear the word.

Lugnut
08-01-2005, 00:14
Just remember, I'm the handsome one!!!
:Rain:sunMan

You're just kidding, right? :D

Nightwalker
08-05-2005, 23:09
I separate the name. Matches the initials of my real name, Raymond Myers.

I believe that Ray's trailname came from the fact that, for awhile, every time he went on a hike, it rained.

Of course, maybe it was his talent for counting toothpicks on the floor, I don't know.

:)

Cookerhiker
08-06-2005, 08:48
Also, there are at least 3 "Jaybirds" out there as well. I met two of them this year and neither one is the Jaybird who posts on White Blaze.

The first one I met while section hiking in early April was an early NOBO thruhiker who I met north of Pearisburg/south of Sinking Creek Valley. I heard he dropped out but don't know if that's true of not. I encountered the second in Shenandoah NP June 17 while doing trail maintenance and trail magic.

Smile
08-06-2005, 11:43
We have a rainman on our ChristianHikers site too.

jigsaw
08-07-2005, 18:33
well im friends with both the jaybird who posts on whiteblaze and the rain man from florida and i'll vouch for both of them as real nice guys.been hiking with jaybird for 3 years now and met rainman this year on the long trail. i guess i'll have to pay attention to thier hometowns to keep them straight or we can give them numbers.