MedicineMan
07-30-2005, 03:46
So far here are the choices:
Hotsprings
Fontana
Robbinsville
Cades Cove
Big Creek Campground

any others before we post the poll???????

SGT Rock
07-30-2005, 07:46
How about Abrams Creek. It would be better than trying to get into Cades Cove in October.

MedicineMan
07-30-2005, 18:26
sounds good , will add Abrams to the list when the poll is posted. Any others?
To me the ultimate choice is 'moot' no pun intended...I just want to meet other WhiteBlazers..just spent 8 nights in a hammock in Oregon and easily prefer it over a hotel :) so a backcountry site works for me too.

Lone Wolf
07-30-2005, 18:35
Big Creek.

gardenville
07-30-2005, 20:36
How about Amicalola Falls State Park? The south end of the AT?

Nean
07-31-2005, 17:20
Still Hot Springs! The woods scare me.:eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-01-2005, 08:07
The Fall Dig (Trail maintenance in the Cumberland Mountains in TN) is near Frozen Head State Park (near Wartburg, TN) this year and will be going on Octber 10 - 23. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9692

Y'all might want to consider planning your event just prior to or after the above event as I'm sure some of those who will want to attend your gathering will also want to be involved in this endeavor.

Patrickjd9
08-01-2005, 19:08
Those locations would leave Mid-Atlantic folks a long way away. Not that I would make it this year, I'm not going to get much outdoor time until I get a job other than my current one, but do keep in mind for future.

generoll
08-02-2005, 08:04
How did you like the campground at Rattler Ford? Some of you stayed there for the BMT opening. If you get tired of your own cooking you have all the gourmet opportunities of beautiful downtown Robbinsville close at hand.

SGT Rock
08-02-2005, 08:06
We talked about that campsite at one time. I also like the trail head area of my section of the BMT. On the other side of the bridge apparently there are some camp sites too. But I didn't want to get the poll too full of places this first time.

generoll
08-02-2005, 10:40
we seem to be divided into two camps here. some want to hike in and some want to drive in. perhaps we should first resolve that and then get down to specific locations. if you recall i also suggested Bobs Bald just south of your section of trail, but unfortunately i made a mention of daemon rum in the same post and it got lost in the subsequent furor.

MedicineMan
08-02-2005, 22:07
camped there before paddling on Lake Santeetlah, sweet area for sure.
In the long run it doesnt matter to me where we meet, drive in or hike in...just want to connect faces and names, discuss issues over a campfire, get at least a day hike in, have a beer in honor of Rock and Attroll who started WB....like Rock i think limiting the # at this time is good and maybe making access easy the first time also good...in the future i can see a moot on top of Rocky Top (well maybe not Rocky Top but you get the idea) or Three Ridges.....
Whatever we decide time is getting closer.

Chip
08-02-2005, 22:32
Hot Springs or Big Creek. :)

MedicineMan
08-03-2005, 00:07
that is why there should be a mid-atlantic moot! maybe you can start scouting locations and post a poll on when and where.....

Hammock Hanger
08-03-2005, 08:10
I am hoping it is somewhere near the newest part of the BMT. I have alot on my plate for the Fall. If I could combine a hike on the BMT with the MOOT that would be great. Even if we could plan a day or two of slacking...

SGT Rock
08-03-2005, 08:15
I am hoping it is somewhere near the newest part of the BMT. I have alot on my plate for the Fall. If I could combine a hike on the BMT with the MOOT that would be great. Even if we could plan a day or two of slacking...
My original proposed site was on the BMT ;)

Rockjock
08-03-2005, 08:34
My $.02 I think that Hot Springs is a great location. And personally would rather hike on AT vs. BMT.

With that said I also enjoy GSMNP...Abrams Creek is tempting as it is a great way to avoid crowds and is a beautiful camping area, but since I have recently hiked almost every loop there I would like to hike somewhere different. Cosby campground has frontcountry camping and easy access to the last few miles of AT in GSMNP. One that hasn't been mentioned but has easy access to AT is Standing Indian Campground.

Like I said my $0.02, I am looking forward to whatever it ends up being.

Rockjock

The Solemates
08-03-2005, 08:35
My $.02 I think that Hot Springs is a great location. And personally would rather hike on AT vs. BMT.

With that said I also enjoy GSMNP...Abrams Creek is tempting as it is a great way to avoid crowds and is a beautiful camping area, but since I have recently hiked almost every loop there I would like to hike somewhere different. Cosby campground has frontcountry camping and easy access to the last few miles of AT in GSMNP. One that hasn't been mentioned but has easy access to AT is Standing Indian Campground.

Rockjock

I thought Standing Indian was closed.

The Solemates
08-03-2005, 08:36
has the date for this shindig been determined?

Hammock Hanger
08-03-2005, 08:56

Rockjock
I understand completely that is why I would prefer the BMT (I've done the AT and trying to get other trails under my feet) but will go with the majority rule... :o

Rockjock
08-03-2005, 08:57
I was just going by the USFS site which doesn't mention it as being closed. Does anyone know for sure, because if we don't use it for Moot I was planning to spend Labor Day in that area.

Youngblood
08-03-2005, 09:13
Are you confusing Standing Indian Campground with Rainbow Springs Campground or the forest service road to Deep Gap near Standing Indian Shelter?

Lilred
08-03-2005, 10:15
Are you confusing Standing Indian Campground with Rainbow Springs Campground or the forest service road to Deep Gap near Standing Indian Shelter?

Standing Indian Campground is open. I hiked out of there the beginning of June. Rainbow Springs and the FS road are both closed.

As for the moot, if we hike in, how long of a hike? Some of us may only have a day or two, so driving in may be a better option. I'm hoping I can go.

The Solemates
08-03-2005, 10:47

yes i am. thanks for pointing that out.

The Solemates
08-03-2005, 10:54
after scrolling the other forum, it seems as if halloween is the date. Is this the case?

Hammock Hanger
08-03-2005, 11:01
after scrolling the other forum, it seems as if halloween is the date. Is this the case?
Yeah, I'm showing 10/28-30