PDA

View Full Version : CDT Thru Hike in 2015

foreversuperawesome
07-18-2013, 09:32
Hey guys!

I just started planning for a thru hike in 2015, anyone else out there planning on hiking it as well? I will be doing a NOBO so if anyone else is too, we could possibly meet up!

-Melanie :)

NaturalHiker
07-20-2013, 12:42
Hey guys!

I just started planning for a thru hike in 2015, anyone else out there planning on hiking it as well? I will be doing a NOBO so if anyone else is too, we could possibly meet up!

Hey melanie, i know it's a long way off but im most likely going to be attempting a thru-hike of the CDT in 2015 going Northbound as well. Just knocked out the AT this year, am planning the PCT for 2014, and if im not burnt out by then.. Triple Crown it is.

Miner
07-20-2013, 14:40
Melanie, you sound excited. Kinda like someone recently off the trail who didn't get enough of it.

I'm currently thi a 2015 NOBO CDT hike starting at Crazy Cook. Though with the recent death of local trail angel Sam Hughes, I'm wondering how starting there will work out. My current thoughts are to stay with the designated route except when an alternate is clearly more scenic and would prefer to avoid paved road hiking as much as possible (feet hate it with the type of trail runners I normally use). But I recognize that things change quickly on the trail so we'll see how it works out.

I hiked the PCT in 2009 and did the northern 600 miles of the AT SOBO last fall (Vermont in October was pretty nice). I'm currently trying to brainwash a fellow PCT '09 hiker into doing the CDT with me (sending him CDT documentaries for b-day gifts etc.).

foreversuperawesome
07-25-2013, 11:15
Might as well go for the triple crown at this point!

foreversuperawesome
07-25-2013, 11:27
Melanie, you sound excited. Kinda like someone recently off the trail who didn't get enough of it.

I'm currently thi a 2015 NOBO CDT hike starting at Crazy Cook. Though with the recent death of local trail angel Sam Hughes, I'm wondering how starting there will work out. My current thoughts are to stay with the designated route except when an alternate is clearly more scenic and would prefer to avoid paved road hiking as much as possible (feet hate it with the type of trail runners I normally use). But I recognize that things change quickly on the trail so we'll see how it works out.

I hiked the PCT in 2009 and did the northern 600 miles of the AT SOBO last fall (Vermont in October was pretty nice). I'm currently trying to brainwash a fellow PCT '09 hiker into doing the CDT with me (sending him CDT documentaries for b-day gifts etc.).

I am pretty excited since I always find opportunities to get on the trail. I also heard about the local trail angel's recent death which is too bad. He helped so many hikers to the start of the CDT. Everyone has only kind words about him. I am hoping that someone will rise up and pick up where he left of.

I am also hoping to stay with the designated route and try to avoid road walking too. I was going to hike the CDT loop in the Rocky Mountain National Park this past month but due to the forest fire, I was unable so I'd like to do that loop as well, I heard it is vert scenic with all the lakes etc… Like you said, things quickly change when we're on the trail. Who know's, we may want cheeseburgers every 20 miles! ;)

You could send me CDT documentaries for my birthday too! I currently live in WIsconsin so I mostly hike the Ice Age Trail but I am from Québec and I used to backpack in the Appalachians there. How was the PCT in 2009? I have 2 friends who are at the midway point. The PCT has a lot of trail angels, well according to their blog posts anyway.

Miner
07-27-2013, 22:45
How was the PCT in 2009? I have 2 friends who are at the midway point. The PCT has a lot of trail angels, well according to their blog posts anyway. I loved the PCT in 2009 though I did encounter a forest fire in NorCal that caused some issues. I had beautiful weather most of the trip and only used my tarp for weather 9 times (4 at the end due to on/off snow by the Canadian Border). It isn't so much that there are tons of trail angels. Its that hikers start in a smaller window and thus pass through together only a few weeks apart. The trail is pretty isolated so all the hikers go into the same towns and places so its easy for those who want to Trail Angel to get most of the hikers for a given year. On the AT, hikers are spread out over months and many resupply at different towns from each other. However, the number of hikers that started the PCT this year is more then double what it was in 2009. While I often hiked around other hikers, there were many times I was alone for days. That should be far more common on the CDT so I guess its a good thing that I like myself since I find that when you hike alone you tend to do a lot of thinking about your life and experiences.

Sly
07-28-2013, 08:39
Hey guys!

Melanie, there were over 100 northbound hikers that started this year and I only expect numbers to go up, so you shouldn't have a problem finding someone to plan or hike with.

Check out the CDT Mailing Labe (http://www.soruck.net/cdt/)l page, it has links to nearly everything there is to find about hiking the CDT.

I wouldn't worry about strictly following the official route. Of all three triple crown trail you really need to remain flexible on the CDT. Many times the Ley maps cover several options. You can always go back and do sections such as the RMNP loop (or hike them beforehand.)

Mags
07-28-2013, 12:39
re: Designate route

I'd mix and match. The designated route in The Winds for example is horse friendly, but you miss Temple Pass, Cirque of the Towers and so on.

Just be flexible. :)

foreversuperawesome
07-30-2013, 08:55
[QUOTE=Miner;1507712]I loved the PCT in 2009 though I did encounter a forest fire in NorCal that caused some issues. /QUOTE]

When you encountered the fire, did you hike around it or simply skipped the area altogether? As far as trail angels, the CDT doesn't have as nearly as much as the PCT and AT combined. I am hoping not for food but for some good samaritans to cache water everywhere! I am currently planning the New Mexico route and I am using Jonathan Ley's maps and so far the water condition doesn't look so good. Most of the tanks are dry as of 2011 or have dead animals in them. I think that will be the most challenging of all.

Have you encountered any dangerous animals on the PCT? Grizzlies, rattlesnakes etc? As much as I want to cowboy camp most of the trail whenever possible, some of the bugs in warmer region scared the bejezus out of me. Being from Canada (Currently living in Wisconsin) we don't have much venomous animals, I've encountered black bears, elks, and moose before. All were easy to spot and avoidable. I'm planning on traveling south before 2015 and hike the area so I get familiar with it.

foreversuperawesome
07-30-2013, 08:58
Melanie, there were over 100 northbound hikers that started this year and I only expect numbers to go up, so you shouldn't have a problem finding someone to plan or hike with.)

I expect the number to grow as well. Which is good, the trail is finally getting some recognition. I have Ley's map as well and there are many routes to choose from, I was suppose to do the RMNP loop this past june but due to a forest fire, I was forced to change my trip, so we hike elsewhere in the park. Still bummed that I wasn't able to get my feet on the CDT... yet. :)

foreversuperawesome
07-30-2013, 09:00
re: Designate route
I'd mix and match. The designated route in The Winds for example is horse friendly, but you miss Temple Pass, Cirque of the Towers and so on.
Just be flexible. :)

I'll try to be as flexible as I can be. Already planning on a few unofficial routes that will be much better scenery than if I stayed on the official route. Some reliable water areas are also off trail too, so I plan to hit those one up too.

foreversuperawesome
07-31-2013, 11:53
I'm currently thi a 2015 NOBO CDT hike starting at Crazy Cook.
.).

Miner,

You're starting at Crazy cook in 2015? Sorry I missed that part last time, When are you planning on starting?

Venchka
07-31-2013, 14:52
[QUOTE=Miner;1507712]I loved the PCT in 2009 though I did encounter a forest fire in NorCal that caused some issues. /QUOTE]

When you encountered the fire, did you hike around it or simply skipped the area altogether? As far as trail angels, the CDT doesn't have as nearly as much as the PCT and AT combined. I am hoping not for food but for some good samaritans to cache water everywhere! I am currently planning the New Mexico route and I am using Jonathan Ley's maps and so far the water condition doesn't look so good. Most of the tanks are dry as of 2011 or have dead animals in them. I think that will be the most challenging of all.

Have you encountered any dangerous animals on the PCT? Grizzlies, rattlesnakes etc? As much as I want to cowboy camp most of the trail whenever possible, some of the bugs in warmer region scared the bejezus out of me. Being from Canada (Currently living in Wisconsin) we don't have much venomous animals, I've encountered black bears, elks, and moose before. All were easy to spot and avoidable. I'm planning on traveling south before 2015 and hike the area so I get familiar with it.

Read Medicare Pastor's northbound CDT trail journal from 2012. Look at her photo gallery for the trip. Look at photos of her camps on April 1 & 2, 2012. Also read her Prep journal entries where she writes a brief biography of her 70 year life.
Folks have also been sleeping under the stars and finding water in Big Bend National Park for centuries.
Have fun!

Wayne

Venchka
07-31-2013, 14:53
Forgot the link.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=13342

Wayne

foreversuperawesome
07-31-2013, 15:45
Forgot the link.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=13342

Wayne

Thanks for the link! It's very appreciated! :)

Venchka
07-31-2013, 18:16
Thanks for the link! It's very appreciated! :)

You're welcome! I am wading through all of the recent journals. Inspiration is oozing through the pixels. There may be some hope for this Geezer after all.
Last night I read: "6 weeks from Glacier to Yellowstone." Shazam! The light bulb went on. The seeds of a plan were sown.
With any luck, I'll be in a permanent work release program beginning in 2015. 6 weeks. Glacier to Yellowstone. Tack on The Teton Crest Trail. Shaazaam!
Good luck!

Wayne

ChinMusic
07-31-2013, 18:25
I'm on the AT as I type. I had penciled plans for the PCT in '14 and the CDT in '15. Right now I don't see those two happening.

But, I was told by JB in New York, "Six weeks after getting home you will be ordering Yogi's book".

Dogwood
07-31-2013, 20:02
Absolutely, mix and match with official CDT routes and alternates to design the hike of your dreams. No other other long distance trail of the extent of the CDT does this most aptly apply.

Trail angle system is NO where as near developed on the CDT as it is on the AT or even the PCT.

Even after having 8 previous long distance thru-hikes of 250 - 2700 miles each under my belt before I thrued the CDT in 2010 I still found the logistics daunting at times. I found it helpful to chunk things down by state and just kept chugging through it until I had that state's logistics down. Without going into great detail I thought Ley's CDT mapset made things immensely helpful in designing my route. Yogi does a GREAT CDT guide too. And, MAGS CDT advice kept me from getting overwhelmed at times by cutting through to the nitty gritty; he does this probably better than anyone in regard to ALL his trail and personal advice.

Think about it from this perspective. It's a damn GREAT hike just doing Glacier to Yellowstone! That section alone could be the hike of a lifetime for a great many hikers! That's exactly what I did Venchka. I tacked on the Bechler Trail(GREAT waterfall and hot pool soaking trail!, took in Union Falls too) from near Shoshone Lake/Heart Lakes(both in Yellowstone NP) down to Flagg Ranch and hitched over to Grand Teton NP and did the Teton Crest Trail. That plan you have is, IMHO, one helluva hike! ANY hiker would experience a wealth of scenery, terrain, and challenges on that trek and be proud to have it included in their hiking resume.

"I was going to hike the CDT loop in the Rocky Mountain National Park this past month but due to the forest fire, I was unable so I'd like to do that loop as well, I heard it is vert scenic with all the lakes etc… Like you said, things quickly change when we're on the trail. Who know's, we may want cheeseburgers every 20 miles! ;) " - Foreversuperawesome

I did the RMNP CDT loop. People have different opinions about it but my thought was "Why wouldn't I want to experience a National Park? It's a NP for damn good reason. This is just my opinion but I think SOME CDTers fall into the mindset to just get the trail done(the CDT is a LONG trail) so start lopping off trail mileage for the simple reason to get it over with and for little other valid reasons. This is really not a hard loop to do logistically if you factor in Shadow Cliff Hostel in Grand Lake and do it as a LONG day hike! Thanks MAGS for the advice on the RMNP loop!

In 2010 there were a total of 6 of us going SOBO and about 10 that I knew who were going NOBO. I met about a dozen total CDT thru-hikers that year. On several occasions I didn't encounter any human for 3-5 day stretches. I shouldn't have to say this but I will because I still notice hikers in an AT mindset who want to hike the CDT that way. The CDT is very much unlike the AT in many aspects. If you're planning a CDT thru or long CDT section hike you should understand that and know the differences and wisely prepare accordingly.

Miner
08-01-2013, 00:53
Miner, You're starting at Crazy cook in 2015? Sorry I missed that part last time, When are you planning on starting? Somwhere between the last 10 days of April to first week of May. Its a little early to say exactly when. If the snow in the San Juan's is bad, I'll favor a latter start. If I end up not doing much training, then I'll favor a bit earlier in-order to more slowly break in.

Sly
08-01-2013, 07:45
With the passing of Sam Hughes it's going to be much more difficult to reach Crazy Cook. Starting at Palomas/Columbus is the official alternate.

foreversuperawesome
08-01-2013, 10:36
Absolutely, mix and match with official CDT routes and alternates to design the hike of your dreams. No other other long distance trail of the extent of the CDT does this most aptly apply.

Dogwood,

I got all of Ley's maps right now,and his maps are far greater than any other maps I found on the market so far. I am still in the very early stage of planning and just is getting used to New Mexico's map. I never understood why people went on long treks to just "get it done". I feel like the whole experience would be different, I'm planning on seeing all the sights I can! Thanks for informing me about that side trail, I will be sure to check it out, if not on my CDT hike in 2015, I may use my vacation time for that next year :)

The fact that there aren't many hikers is appealing to me. I always hear how the AT is crowded and such. I want to experience the CDT before it gets too crowded. This little gem won't stay quiet for too long, I am sure.

Do you have a blog about your adventure on the CDT?

foreversuperawesome
08-01-2013, 10:45
Somwhere between the last 10 days of April to first week of May. Its a little early to say exactly when. If the snow in the San Juan's is bad, I'll favor a latter start. If I end up not doing much training, then I'll favor a bit earlier in-order to more slowly break in.

Miner,

We definitely need to meet up at some point. Perhaps we could start together… I, too, want to start at Crazy Cook monument, as Sly mentioned, with the passing of Sam Hughes it will be harder to get transportation to the beginning of the trail. I'll keep searching for a way to get there, after all, it's the official start of the CDT.

If all fails, I'll just hike there! ;) I'm planning to start in April to "break myself in" and start easy. Last thing I want is to overdue it in the first few weeks and get an injury that will prevent me from continuing farther. Anyway, that's my plan, for now. :)

Not-a-Moose
08-04-2013, 13:33
Melanie, there were over 100 northbound hikers that started this year and I only expect numbers to go up, so you shouldn't have a problem finding someone to plan or hike with.

Really! Any numbers from the previous few years? I guess I knew the numbers were going up, but I was thinking more ~50/year.

Sly
08-04-2013, 13:46
Really! Any numbers from the previous few years? I guess I knew the numbers were going up, but I was thinking more ~50/year.

Up until this year it seems the number for the past 10 has been between 25-50. In 2002, the year I thru-hiked, there were less than 25 thru-hikers in both directions with about the same long distance section hikers. Of course these are just guesstimates, but I believe fairly accurate.

litespeed
08-04-2013, 15:24
Dogwood,

I got all of Ley's maps right now,and his maps are far greater than any other maps I found on the market so far. As someone who has done the trail utilizing both Ley and Bearcreek maps, I couldn't disagree more. For the official route, BC is vastly more functional for navigation, particularly if you are going to carry a gps. Having the UTM grid on a map when you are off-trail enables you to figure out exactly where you are and quickly get back on route. The CDT is really hard to follow in some places - your hike will be easier if you have the right tools. The only downside of the BC maps is that it only covers the official trail. In order to do the alternates, you will also have to carry some Ley maps.

quasarr
08-29-2013, 17:16
I'm planning to start in April to "break myself in" and start easy. Last thing I want is to overdue it in the first few weeks and get an injury that will prevent me from continuing farther. Anyway, that's my plan, for now. :)

I think this is a good plan, but keep in mind that water sources will often be 20 miles apart or more! And if you aren't doing 20+ miles per day, that makes for a ton of water to carry. I met several PCTers who began their hike in Tehachapi and they often struggled with the long dry stretches and only doing 15 mi per day. I think that section is much hillier than southern NM though.

Also, as someone from the East, do you have any experience with desert hiking? I'm from North Carolina and was totally unprepared for how difficult the desert would be. I recommend getting some hikes in for practice, luckily you have plenty of time!!

bearcreek
08-29-2013, 20:11
The only downside of the BC maps is that it only covers the official trail. In order to do the alternates, you will also have to carry some Ley maps.

Thanks for the kind words.

A bit of news here. I have been collecting second party GPS information on the most commonly traveled alternates for a couple of years now. The plan is for the 2014 Mapbooks to include maps of the most-used alternate routes:

New Mexico:
Antelope Wells / Deming
Gila River
Mt. Taylor Summit
Old Pietown route (probably will move the Omega north roadwalk to one that goes to Pietown as well. Official route is going to eventually parallel the road from Omega to Pietown, so pie will always be part of the experience)
Skull bridge / Ghost Ranch / Bear Camp

Colorado:
Creede Cutoff
New Argentine Spine route
Silverthorne

Wyoming:
Cirque of the Towers
Temple Pass
Go-around to Fish Lake / Leeds Creek

Montana/Idaho:
Mack's Inn
Anaconda Cutoff
Bob Marshall High route

The GPS data being used for these is primarily track files from Garmins and is of considerably lower quality than that of the data obtained by the mapping project of 2009-2011. I am checking it all with aerial topography and making corrections - it should be end up being very good overall. Probably 100' off in places, but the map lines on the maps are almost that wide. GPS waypoints for the routes are also being generated, and the maps will be just like the current Mapbook Maps with UTM grid to aid navigation.

You should still get the Ley maps as well. Lots of great information, and numerous other possible routes on those.

Spirit Walker
08-29-2013, 21:59
Bearcreek - I recommend including the Cebolla Wilderness alternate as well, especially for someone who is interested in history and wants to do the side visits to Armijo (12th century ruins) and/or the petroglyphs. That area is a lot better than long paved roadwalks.

Mags
08-30-2013, 23:30
Awesome news. Thanks for the hard work and great contributions to the CDT community!

Butterfly58
08-31-2013, 12:11
I've been following a young woman's journal of the CDT. She is currently hiking and expects to finish in the next few days. She did the PCT a couple of years ago - trail name Wired. Her journal is beautifully done with lots of stunning photography. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.walkingwithwired.com/p/cdt-2013.html

bearcreek
08-31-2013, 12:17
Bearcreek - I recommend including the Cebolla Wilderness alternate as well, especially for someone who is interested in history and wants to do the side visits to Armijo (12th century ruins) and/or the petroglyphs. That area is a lot better than long paved roadwalks.

Great suggestion. I think I have the data for that.

Focus12
08-31-2013, 18:51
I was hoping for 2014 but it looks like 2015 will be the year. Snow and such might change my mind but I'm hoping for Nobo from Crazy Cook too. Finished the PCT in 2012 and have had itchy feet ever since.

Focus

Sly
08-31-2013, 21:26
As someone who has done the trail utilizing both Ley and Bearcreek maps, I couldn't disagree more. For the official route, BC is vastly more functional for navigation, particularly if you are going to carry a gps. Having the UTM grid on a map when you are off-trail enables you to figure out exactly where you are and quickly get back on route. The CDT is really hard to follow in some places - your hike will be easier if you have the right tools. The only downside of the BC maps is that it only covers the official trail. In order to do the alternates, you will also have to carry some Ley maps.

Not knocking the Bear Creek maps, I'm sure they're of better quality, but in my experience, the compass rose on the Ley maps worked quite well. I made all into waypoints beforehand and labeled all accordingly, so it was a snap to use.

wiz
02-13-2014, 05:55
I am also planing a 2015 Thru Hike going Nobo. Did the AT this past summer now im looking to embrace the brutality. The planning stage is weird. Its part obsession, part dream, part cluster ****. I just can't wait to start pounding out the miles.

litespeed
02-13-2014, 10:21
With the passing of Sam Hughes it's going to be much more difficult to reach Crazy Cook. Starting at Palomas/Columbus is the official alternate.

That is absolute baloney. The CDT has two "official" alternates. One is in Rocky Mountain NP and the other is Chief Mountain.

wiz
02-26-2014, 05:56
Just bought Embrace the Brutality at 4:30 in the morning. Ya I got the CDT on my mind hahaha.

glish
08-01-2014, 00:05
I to am planning to start the cdt NOBO in the spring of 2015. Looking for people to start with. I to am from Wisconsin and I hike the Ice age trail all the time. I have hiked solo a lot. New Mexico will be a new experience for me so Id like to start with someone if possible. Safety in numbers.

Hey guys!

handlebar
08-02-2014, 19:13
The CDTC helped this year's nobo's by providing shuttle service to Crazy Cook. Don't know it they plan something similar for SOBO's who'll finish this fall.

+1 to using the Compass Rose on Ley's maps. I hiked before and after all of the Bear Creek Survey maps were available. I would make frequent "fagawi" stops to check that I was at least near the trail and found the compass rose to be easy to use and accurate. Took the BCS maps on my 2011 chunk and was thankful for the waypoints while hiking over snow.

Dogwood
08-02-2014, 19:38
That is absolute baloney. The CDT has two "official" alternates. One is in Rocky Mountain NP and the other is Chief Mountain.

PLEASE PLEASE don't take this perspective of what the "official" CDT route is. It's quicksand. The CDT is a trail of alternates! That's one of the most wonderful aspects of the CDT. On the CDT you are allowed to and it is still encouraged that you HYOH.

Del Q
08-02-2014, 20:03
QUAD CROWN

Why is the 175 or so miles on the Long Trail not included here?

I see more and more people completing the Triple Crown which is GREAT. What a huge accomplishment, be it thru hikes or section hikes.

My plan is Section Hikes of all 4, completing the

Del Q
08-02-2014, 20:04
...quad crown

Sly
08-02-2014, 21:40

What was the "official" southern terminus before Crazy Crook, which is relatively new? Yeah, I'm not sure either, but Columbus was an official alternate, and as far as I know, still is.

For more info..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Divide_Trail

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/continental_divide_trail_seven_myths.html#.U92UWeN dWSo

http://therealdivide.com/the-trail/

of course there's more.

Dogwood
08-03-2014, 00:39
As someone who has done the trail utilizing both Ley and Bearcreek maps, I couldn't disagree more. For the official route, BC is vastly more functional for navigation, particularly if you are going to carry a gps. Having the UTM grid on a map when you are off-trail enables you to figure out exactly where you are and quickly get back on route. The CDT is really hard to follow in some places - your hike will be easier if you have the right tools. The only downside of the BC maps is that it only covers the official trail. In order to do the alternates, you will also have to carry some Ley maps.

Not every CDTer wants to hike the same hike though. Some like to be aware of and choose a route from the widest range of alternates. And, some still don't only or mainly hike using GPS for navigation. You might consider some hikers actually enjoy map and compass navigation. Some users of map and compass navigation are quite proficient at it. Some consider navigation like this in ways more adventuresome. Some hikers feel comfortable with, and purposefully choose, being off route so they can explore to a great extent. Getting quickly back on route may not always be the main objective. I'm one of these hikers and it's my guess there are others who hike with similar goals. To each their own. HYOH but your comment, "the CDT is really hard to follow in some places - your hike will be easier if you have the right tools" hints at Bearcreek maps and GPS to be the "right tools." And, that's not to say all the Bear Creek maps I've seen haven't been really really well done I'm just saying not every CDTer does the same hike and the "right tools" can and often do vary from one CDTer to another.

Chuppacabra
10-31-2014, 20:25
Just throwing my name into the mix. I thru-hiked the Florida Trail in 2009 and the AT in 2013, the guy that I finished hiking with (from Dalton, MA to Baxter) is going to be thru-hiking the CDT with me next year as well; trail name OB (Old and Busted). We plan on starting April 19th. Any number of those that would care to join us are more than welcome.

Personally, me being from Florida and him from Georgia, we have never experienced desert hiking before so New Mexico in particular really intimidates us. Otherwise we're beyond pumped to go on the hiker weight loss program again with intermittent showers a given.

handlebar
10-31-2014, 22:08
Chuppacabra, You might want to delay your start depending on the snow situation in the South San Juan Wilderness. I started out after the PCT kickoff in '10 which wasn't a particularly high snow year and encountered snow that slowed me to ~1 mph north of Cumbres Pass. Plus, if you plan to set off from Crazy Cook, the CDTC might not yet be running a shuttle that early.

Hoosier Daddy
11-01-2014, 10:55
I haven't heard yet if the CDTC is going on the same schedule for 2015 but I was on the first official shuttle on April 10, 2014 to Crazy Cook.
Thanks Teresa ! There was actually an unofficial trip the day before with Jim and Jill I believe.
I used the Bear Creek Maps, both the "Official" and the Alternate routes. I also use a gps so it worked very well with the waypoints from the
Bear Creek website.
The only difficulty that I had was organizing the maps to be carried between the official route and the alternates. They are in different books
and the Alternate routes are not shown on the Official Route maps. So it got kind of confusing.

Spirit Walker
11-01-2014, 12:33
Before we had map books, it was very simple: we sat down with the maps we intended to use (primarily BLM and FS) and marked the routes we intended to use and the alternates on the map ourselves before we left home. That way we knew what the alternatives were and why they might be a good option (i.e. more scenic like Ghost Ranch and the Gila, or better water access like the Cebolla or Sweetwater routes or access to 'town' like Atlantic City, etc.)

If you do use Bearcreek's maps, it's not that hard to mark the alternate routes on them, either from his alternate book or J. Ley or Jim Wolf's guides.

I liked J. Ley's maps mostly because they had very helpful comments from other hikers regarding water availability and indistinct turns. They were well worth the effort to print them out. I also loved Jim Wolf's guides because of the level of detail. Some of the springs are pretty obscure. I also just love a good guidebook, especially since the maps we were using were often obsolete.

Dogwood
11-01-2014, 12:49
I also bought the Wolf CDT guidebooks which helped a lot w/ alternates because Jim often says why he chose the route he did and how it compares to other routes. And, since I went w/ map and compass navigation Wolf's books helped at unsigned junctions.

Hoosier Daddy
11-02-2014, 11:26
Spirit,
If you use the Bearcreek maps then the Alternate routes are sometimes many miles away from the official routes and not even on the same page.
So you need to carry additional larger scale maps(like the BLM 1:100,000 maps) if you want to see escape routes etc.
I carried the BLM maps for the area that I was in at the time but they are kind of useless for actual trail navigation. At least for me.
Before the trip I did go over the BLM maps and make current CDT corrections to them to make them more usable. The BLM maps are
pretty old and haven't been updated recently to make corrections but they do show an older CDT in many cases. Before the trip I bought
all the New Mexico BLM maps that covered the CDT route. That's quite a collection BTW.
Larry OldnSlow Swearingen

Hoosier Daddy
11-02-2014, 11:30
I didn't use the Ley maps because :
1) I couldn't even read the notes (at 8 1/2 x 11) and didn't feel like buying a large scale printer to use 11 x 17.
That was before Yogi was making larger versions available.
2) I had already invested in a gps and felt that the Bearcreek maps were a better match with a GPS.

OldnSlow

Sly
11-02-2014, 14:44

This year (and I suppose next) the CDTC ran shuttles to Crazy Cook during the typical thru-hiker seasons, however, I'm not sure of the price. Other prices I heard were quite expensive since it's such a lousy road.

If you want to start right away testing your route finding abilities, the CDTS Columbus route is a good one.

Dogwood
11-02-2014, 23:14
I like the way Yogi categorizes and explains her CDT map choices. I wonder how she navigated two yrs ago when, from what I've heard, she had thrued the AT earlier in the yr and was attempting to thru the CDT into the fall. justmised her eraLevle going SOBO. Did she make it?

jawnzee
11-03-2014, 16:59
Bought a one way plane ticket to Phoenix on May 1 :banana

Planning on using 11x17 JLey maps with no GPS

Ready to drink some cow poo :cool:

PatchesSOBO
11-04-2014, 11:08
Yo guys. It's been almost 2 years since I finished my thru-hike the AT and I'll be heading down to New Mexico late-April to begin the CDT. Time to hike again!

I haven't bought maps yet, though I've been browsing the 2013 Ley maps that I downloaded from francistapon.com to get a feel for it.
I'm still debating whether I want to buy the Bear Creek maps. I will have a GPS to mitigate navigational issues and it sounds like the Bear Creek maps function very well with those, but then again, people seem to use GPS with Ley maps (compass rose, starman tracks)... I'll probably just order the 11x17 Ley maps from Yogi when they're updated and have a GPS for backup. I have the 2013-14 Yogi book, so hopefully there'll be updates for that online if there's a new one.

Is anybody on Facebook? I deactivated mine a year ago but I keep coming across people referencing the CDT class pages as being a valuable resource, is there much going on there?

Good to hear that others are planning hikes,

Patches

10-K
11-04-2014, 11:23
I feel like I should be planning.... But I'm not starting till July and only hiking half the trail so maybe I'll wait a few more months. :)