PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot Therapy IN Long Distance Hiking:

Kookork
07-18-2013, 12:59
When I was younger, Mileage was not an issue for me. I used to walk until some part of my body was complaining. In my case normally it was my sole. It was not plantar fasciitis and I have no flat feet. It was just overuse temporary pain in my sole. Experimentally I had found that when the sole pain comes I still can walk a few more miles pain free if I opt to walk barefoot.

It works like a massage and gives me a boost of energy( although temporary ) but long enough to let me walk couple of hours more. I still use this technique when necessary and where terrain allows me.

Have anyone of you had the same experience with this kind of barefoot therapy?

Driver8
07-18-2013, 13:37
I have not, Kookork, but others swear by it. Found Born to Run by McDougall an entertaining read.

I had pretty bad day-after PF in my left heel first year and a half of my hiking. Laid off the trail for three months, winter 2011-12 and hit the gym a lot, variety of exercises, then, on getting back out, found the PF had resolved. Has not reappeared. I wonder if barefoot walking would help with my left hip, which has a couple of spurs. ...

Kookork
07-18-2013, 14:09
I have not, Kookork, but others swear by it. Found Born to Run by McDougall an entertaining read.

I had pretty bad day-after PF in my left heel first year and a half of my hiking. Laid off the trail for three months, winter 2011-12 and hit the gym a lot, variety of exercises, then, on getting back out, found the PF had resolved. Has not reappeared. I wonder if barefoot walking would help with my left hip, which has a couple of spurs. ...

Give it a try next time you feel the slightest discomfort on your soles before PF sets in.

WingedMonkey
07-18-2013, 14:43
I go barefoot 80% of my time. Around the house, around the garden, on local walks. About the only time I put on shoes is to go biking, (5 days a week) to cover the cleats on the pedals and usually those are hand me downs from the nephew that are two sizes to big, or if I need to go shopping. At one time in my life I lived on an Ashram where I was barefoot 24/7.

I imagine that it does strengthen my feet and calves but have no science on the matter. I seldom have any foot or ankle pain (except last December when hiking over constant feral hog rooting).

My problem is that when I do go hiking in shoes (about every three months), I'm more prone to blisters, because even my most favorite well fitting, broke-in shoes just aren't on me that often. Not a major problem, because I'm aware of it and take precautions.

Kookork
07-18-2013, 14:58
I go barefoot 80% of my time. Around the house, around the garden, on local walks. About the only time I put on shoes is to go biking, (5 days a week) to cover the cleats on the pedals and usually those are hand me downs from the nephew that are two sizes to big, or if I need to go shopping. At one time in my life I lived on an Ashram where I was barefoot 24/7.

I imagine that it does strengthen my feet and calves but have no science on the matter. I seldom have any foot or ankle pain (except last December when hiking over constant feral hog rooting).

My problem is that when I do go hiking in shoes (about every three months), I'm more prone to blisters, because even my most favorite well fitting, broke-in shoes just aren't on me that often. Not a major problem, because I'm aware of it and take precautions.

Living in an Ashram is on my to do list. You seem an interesting individual WM.
About being barefoot and its benefits, the scientific community is working on it more in recent years.

Just Bill
07-18-2013, 16:40
I go with the Ray Way- half hour barefoot a day, when on trail. I switched to minimalist shoes about a year ago and have lost all foot problems. I get blisters when I switch from flatland Chicago to steeper trail, but they are compression blisters, not friction blisters. I use NB zeros or Merrell Bare Access for short walks (10 miles or less) and Altra Torin's or Lone Peaks for longer strolls. I switched for the issues you described in your OP. I usually take a barefoot walk around the block (mile or two) a few evenings a week too. Over all- no more foot issues or soreness. I simply scale up the Cushion to match the planned distance and I don't have any foot fatigue issues- god bless Matt Kirk and the folks who can do the true minimalists, but I found that I need something more like the heavier Altras to make it through anything higher than 15 miles.