PDA

View Full Version : Whisperlite couldn't fly last flight.

Tractor
07-18-2013, 17:49
I will share this so others might fair better with alternative plans.

I was asked if I had a hiking stove while checking my pack in Manchester NH airport last week. Yes was my answer. She asked me to pull it out to show her. As I was getting the stove/pump/bottle out I explained that I ALWAYS empty and run water through the pump and bottle to take care of any residual fumes and that I had flown with it about 6 times without any problem. She said she could not accept my pack with the stove,pump or bottle. I really did not have any quick options so I finally found a TSA? agent with a dog who took it for a friends son. Before this I never thought there would be any question or concern, especially with a check for flammable fumes. Heads Up.

Deco
07-18-2013, 17:56
I made the switch to the "cat can" alcohol stove last year and love it. Part of my reasoning in making the switch was plane travel. Sorry about your stove and thanks for the heads up.

Malto
07-18-2013, 17:57

I was asked if I had a hiking stove while checking my pack in Manchester NH airport last week. Yes was my answer. She asked me to pull it out to show her. As I was getting the stove/pump/bottle out I explained that I ALWAYS empty and run water through the pump and bottle to take care of any residual fumes and that I had flown with it about 6 times without any problem. She said she could not accept my pack with the stove,pump or bottle. I really did not have any quick options so I finally found a TSA? agent with a dog who took it for a friends son. Before this I never thought there would be any question or concern, especially with a check for flammable fumes. Heads Up.

Wow, that is bad luck. Has anyone else ever have that happen because I have not with any canister, white fuel or alcohol stove. Of course none of them had fuel but there is no reason for that not to have sailed thru unless your bottle smelled like a gas station.

atmilkman
07-18-2013, 17:58

A good heads up. I think it's just a simple case of one agent not understanding and not wanting to make a mistake vs. probably more experienced ones the previous 6 times. Now people know it may fly but there's a chance it may not.

Wise Old Owl
07-18-2013, 18:18
This is where you stop ask to see the list and tell them to PROVE IT.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

leaftye
07-18-2013, 18:44
That's why I tell people to mail anything that might be questionable. It doesn't matter if you're right if a TSA agent doesn't agree with you before your flight.

rickb
07-18-2013, 18:56
That's why I tell people to mail anything that might be questionable. It doesn't matter if you're right if a TSA agent doesn't agree with you before your flight.

If you had an ipad you could have shown her this:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/camping-gear

kidchill
07-18-2013, 19:42
Yah, but at the end of the day, despite the rules, if they say no, you're stuck! Unfortunately, we've kind of given them some kind of ultimate authority. I'm not trying to start a debate or anything, but I saw this video of a TSA agent "patting down" a girl that was trying to clear security. The girl was pulled aside for a frisk, her friend was video taping, and the girl getting frisked was questioning "exactly where are you going to touch me?" The TSA agent said the "upper thigh." She straight up ran her hand over that girls pubic area! I'm not debating the pros/cons of this, but I seriously felt as though she had been violated. So, I feel like if they're gonna straight go for a vag-grab, they'll have no problems denying an item if they think it's necessary.

Wise Old Owl
07-18-2013, 20:01
OK guess this owl is driving from now on... eewwww

Mags
07-18-2013, 20:02
As others said, despite the rules, it ultimately comes down to the individual TSA agents interpretation.

RickB's link has this line concerning stoves "- These can travel as carry-on or checked luggage only if they are empty of all fuel and cleaned so that there are no vapors or residue left. "

Too much room for varied results IMO. Mail the stove and any other suspect gear. Less hassle...

MuddyWaters
07-18-2013, 20:09
She may have done you a favor.
A whisperlite isnt necessary for backpacking unless its deep winter and you have to melt snow for water.
Or you have a large group and cook in 6qt and larger pots.

atmilkman
07-18-2013, 20:42
As others said, despite the rules, it ultimately comes down to the individual TSA agents interpretation.

RickB's link has this line concerning stoves "- These can travel as carry-on or checked luggage only if they are empty of all fuel and cleaned so that there are no vapors or residue left. "

Too much room for varied results IMO. Mail the stove and any other suspect gear. Less hassle...

Exactly, the agent could say I smell fuel even if you can't so as not to be "showed up" by you showing them their own rules.

Bati
07-18-2013, 21:22
I had similar problems years ago. That's when I switched to butane for warm-weather trips where I fly, carrying a pepsi-can stove for a back-up just in case I can't get the correct gas canister when I land. It's worked well so far, and I've usually been able to leave the canister at a hostel or campsite where another person can use it.
The biggest problem is making sure you know where to locate the outdoor stores before you go. The internet helps a lot, especially as most of flying trips have been to countries where I have issues reading and many websites will translate for you (or you can use a translation site) at home to determine if the store likely carries butane fuel.
It was much easier in the old days when I could just fill up the whisperlite fuel bottle with unleaded gas.

Sarcasm the elf
07-18-2013, 21:41

This is a bit surprising so I did a quick search of the TSA site, the section I found about camp stoves is quoted below. If I'm reading it correctly, It sounds like the agent was technically wrong, but since they are given disgression in the matter, even if she was wrong, she was right. :(

Camp Stoves - These can travel as carry-on or checked luggage only if they are empty of all fuel and cleaned so that there are no vapors or residue left. Simply emptying the fuel container will leave flammable vapors. We recommend that you ship the fuel containers to your destination ahead of time - passengers frequently have to leave them at the checkpoint because of fuel vapors.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/camping-gear

[Edit: I guess I should read the whole thread before replying, looks like RickB beat me to it!]

atmilkman
07-18-2013, 22:18
[Edit: I guess I should read the whole thread before replying, looks like RickB beat me to it!]

No big deal. Think how much time you would waste reading whole threads. Especially those novel length posts. Post what you think. If you repeat somebody so what. Probably isn't the first time and probably wont be the last. No harm in good info being posted twice.

Dogwood
07-18-2013, 23:50
With a Whisperlite and the MSR metal fuel bottles or other liquid fuel holding bottles if a TSA agent has grounds to suspect there are fuel residues AND they don't have the necessary equipment available, like they often do at larger International APs, to chemically check for flammable materials, YES, you might get red flagged. I think TSA Agents are trained to err on the cautious side when something is questionable. That's what it sounds like happened to you. Think about it from a TSA perspective and it makes sense if this is indeed what happened to you. Overall, IMHO TSA does a pretty damn decent job being consistent in applying the current procedures. That's what may make them vulnerable. They are too predictable.

Mountain Mike
07-19-2013, 00:24
Since post 9/11 when I have flown with my stove I air out my bottle & stove. Take cable out of stove & apply a flame to all three to make sure there is no residua vapor. Then I place them in my pack inside a duffle bag.

ChuckT
07-19-2013, 09:06
Wrong answer.

1 - Keep cool. Do not assume that your "rights" trump anything. If you have the time (or the nerve):
2 - Politely ask the "agent" for their ID and write down the Employee name and ID number.
Keep cool.
3 - Ask, politely, for the agent's supervisor's name & ID number. Note that down also.
Keep cool.
4 - Give them the object but insist, politely, for a written receipt that describes it and why it is being taken.
Keep cool.
5 - Inform the crowd (you have now attracted) that you will protest to your Congressman or woman (helps if you can name them).
Keep your cool.
6 - It helps, sometimes, to be friendly, even sympathetic as Agents are human too. Just remember there are small people everywhere and the "system" is on their side NOT ours.
7 - As soon as possible follow up on #5, politely.

cvt

swjohnsey
07-19-2013, 09:29
An I.Q. test is not part of the hiring process at TSA.

peakbagger
07-19-2013, 10:25
I have run into a few folks who have sanded painted their MSR bottle and turned it into a water bottle for travel. Many folks carry aluminum bottles for water these days and a painted MSR bottle fits right in. Generally a little boiling water swished around inside gets rid of the odor of fuel. The TSA folks usually stress out far more with the bottle than the stove. I have also disassembled a MSR stove and boiled it in the past after removing all the O rings but it was a lot of work and I had to replace some orings that got damaged taking them out.

Colter
07-19-2013, 10:35
... I finally found a TSA? agent with a dog who took it for a friends son...
He took it for YOUR friend's son or HIS friends son?

coach lou
07-19-2013, 11:04
A friend had this same thing happen leaving Missoula, 10 yrs before 911. I now keep certain things at my friends in Missoula.................but, if TSA don't ask....I don't tell them!:cool:

rickb
07-19-2013, 12:34
I have run into a few folks who have sanded painted their MSR bottle and turned it into a water bottle for travel. Many folks carry aluminum bottles for water these days and a painted MSR bottle fits right in. Generally a little boiling water swished around inside gets rid of the odor of fuel. The TSA folks usually stress out far more with the bottle than the stove. I have also disassembled a MSR stove and boiled it in the past after removing all the O rings but it was a lot of work and I had to replace some orings that got damaged taking them out.

That's my theory, too.

The one time I flew with Whisperlight in put it very well packed in the top of my luggage and took a new bottle in my carry on. I figured if they asked about a stove I could truthfully tell them I had a stove burner in my duffle and get to it quickly. But they didn't ask.

Nooga
07-20-2013, 09:17
I sometimes think that being unpredictable is a strategy by the TSA. As a frequent flyer, it is amazing the enforcement differences from airport to airport.

coach lou
07-20-2013, 21:30
Believe it or not, I like flying out of JFK........they know what they are doing there....they see it all. THEY PROFILE....they don't pat down little Swedish Granmothers taking their Granchildren to Disneyland. The toughest I've been thru is Johnson Bell in Missoula.....it's all by the book......I guess there are alot of terrorist coming thru Montana!