PDA

View Full Version : Princeton Tec Head lamps

BZ853
07-18-2013, 18:06
I got a 50% off coupon at rei so im going to get either the Remix or the Tactical Quad. What are some pros and cons of each. I mainly will be using it for setting up camp after dark and night hiking while on the trail. But will probably get more use out of it fixing cars while at home.

Wise Old Owl
07-18-2013, 18:09
Remix yea I bought that, they at first were awful, then the QC came up and now they are alright.

Malto
07-18-2013, 18:46
I have used a remix for the last three years and have been plenty satisfied. Positive-AAA batteries, weight. Negatives-older models turn on while in the pack. I had a replacement sent and it is a slightly better design. I use it for night hiking quite a bit.

kidchill
07-18-2013, 19:01
I can't comment on those models, but I used the Byte for most of my thruhike and loved it! It worked wonderfully, and the red light was a plus to not kill my night vision. I think it weighed 2oz with batteries and definitely seemed to last. MALTO, and others, I picked up a little trick with flashlights/headlamps. When storing it in your pack, just take one battery and reverse it. This will kill the connection and it won't be able to magically turn on in your pack. Works great! Now, if only my sony mp3 player would do this!

Malto
07-18-2013, 19:05
I can't comment on those models, but I used the Byte for most of my thruhike and loved it! It worked wonderfully, and the red light was a plus to not kill my night vision. I think it weighed 2oz with batteries and definitely seemed to last. MALTO, and others, I picked up a little trick with flashlights/headlamps. When storing it in your pack, just take one battery and reverse it. This will kill the connection and it won't be able to magically turn on in your pack. Works great! Now, if only my sony mp3 player would do this!

It funny, I actually did the same battery reversal trick for my whole thruhike but was chastised on here for that been unsafe. Luckily, the new design has eliminated the risk of my battery burning my pack up. :)

BZ853
07-18-2013, 20:58
Thanks, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Remix.

Ezra
07-18-2013, 21:11
Just curious.....how did you get the 50% off coupon?

BZ853
07-18-2013, 23:39
They sent it in an email.

kidchill
07-19-2013, 16:47
Unsafe? I guess if the sky fell and caused the sun to explode, and it was INSTANTANEOUSLY dark, then yes, you would SO need those batteries the correct way to use your headlamp...but, then again, you'd probably be dead. Considering it takes quite a while for the sun to go down, I think there's ample opportunity to flip the batteries around...I mean, really? It's not SCUBA equipment, it's a flashlight...

Malto
07-19-2013, 17:47
Unsafe? I guess if the sky fell and caused the sun to explode, and it was INSTANTANEOUSLY dark, then yes, you would SO need those batteries the correct way to use your headlamp...but, then again, you'd probably be dead. Considering it takes quite a while for the sun to go down, I think there's ample opportunity to flip the batteries around...I mean, really? It's not SCUBA equipment, it's a flashlight...

no it wasn't that.... The claim was reversing the battery would overheat the reversed battery. I never had that problem and it sounds like you survived that risky behavior also. :)

kidchill
07-19-2013, 18:50
Ummm...yah, I've never heard of that before. I have a maglite that I purchased about 2 years ago and the battery has been in there, reversed the entire time. I just flipped it back and tested the light about 6 months ago (was coming back from the AT and was moving back into a house) and it still worked fine...I find that info hard to believe.

leaftye
07-19-2013, 19:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brdmnUBAS00

bfayer
07-19-2013, 20:15
(video redacted to keep my head from exploding)

I just dont know where to begin... I should just leave now....

Wise Old Owl
07-19-2013, 20:50
It funny, I actually did the same battery reversal trick for my whole thruhike but was chastised on here for that been unsafe. Luckily, the new design has eliminated the risk of my battery burning my pack up. :)

No you don't need to be chastised but they are not hard switched they are soft switched circuit driven and if the battery's were in parallel it would fuze and heat up. In series you lucked out as most are....

Wise Old Owl
07-19-2013, 20:56
Lefteye that has to be a spoof video

leaftye
07-20-2013, 00:12
Lefteye that has to be a spoof video

He it's called electrical tape because it conducts electricity. Sounds legit. :-?

greentick
07-21-2013, 22:20
Unless they modified the remix, which I like, it is not waterproof. I have a few for around the house and the kids etc. Some you can see the batteries thru the crack. The EOS (for sure) and Quad (I think) are waterproof to a meter (or drenching rain). FWIW The EOS rocks. STP has em for $30 and they're made in the USA if it matters to you. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/princeton-tec-eos-led-headlamp~p~5694d/

BZ853
07-22-2013, 12:22
I want a red light.

greentick
07-23-2013, 16:33
I want a red light.

These are both waterproof to a meter. And red light. Sorry, just don't care to have a non-waterproof headlamp in the backcountry. YMMV

http://www.rei.com/product/850679/princeton-tec-vizz-headlamp

http://www.rei.com/product/768986/princeton-tec-tactical-quad-headlamp