PDA

View Full Version : You are an authority of one of the major 2000 plus miles trails :

Kookork
07-18-2013, 19:37
Imagine you are a high level authority who can decide and (drastically) change the rules and regulations about hiking any of the three major 2000 mile plus trails.

What would you change about the rules, regulations, geography, routes ,campsites , shelters and any other trail related matters to make it a better trail ?

Jack Tarlin
07-18-2013, 19:48
In truth, other than quite sensible regulations on campfire restrictions in certain areas, or restrictions on where one can camp at very highly used campsites or Parks, or counseling people on why they shouldn't pitch tents in environmentally fragile areas, etc., I wasn't aware that there were that many "rules and regulations" that either existed or that needed changing on the long trails. I'm of the opinion that what few of these rules and laws exist make perfectly good sense; I was never troubled by them while hiking; I understood why they were in place; and there are few, if any of these rules, that I would want to see changed. In truth, considering how many places are over-used, abused, dis-respected, trashed, etc., there are not enough of these restrictions in my opinion, but that's for another thread.

rocketsocks
07-18-2013, 19:52
Appalachian Trail...

Remove all the rocks on the trail through PA, and NJ...all of em!

.....especially those little bitty ones that twist your ankles.

Fredt4
07-18-2013, 19:54
Legalize hitchhiking along the AT. It's silly to have to risk arrest in several states, and have to depend on cops to give you a ride instead of a citation. Most cops seem to give rides, but a few prefer citation. Luckily I received a ride.

Tuckahoe
07-18-2013, 19:54
Pretty much ban anyone that would say "there aughta be a rule..."

rocketsocks
07-18-2013, 19:55
Appalachian trail...

Reroute the trail through Lone Wolfs living room so he doesn't have to keep comin out to the trail to meet all his fans...:D

Lone Wolf
07-18-2013, 19:56
Imagine you are a high level authority who can decide and (drastically) change the rules and regulations about hiking any of the three major 2000 mile plus trails.

What would you change about the rules, regulations, geography, routes ,campsites , shelters and any other trail related matters to make it a better trail ?

huh? it's just walkin'. who needs rules?

Kookork
07-18-2013, 20:00
huh? it's just walkin'. who needs rules?

Gotta be honest LW, I thought you may say " Flatten all the shelters and privies"

snifur
07-18-2013, 20:13
I would ban all internet forums that involve discussion of hiking records, speed, weight, and distance and make them punishable by exile of offenders to a small flat uneventful island that has views of green mountains across the water.

snifur
07-18-2013, 20:19
For a long distance hiker desiring to hike the full 2000plus miles i would create a passport registration system. Small booklet that is to be carried by all legit long distance hikers that documents their travels. Each hostel, hotel, and outfitter would be required to stamp the passport which would provide the LDHiker a discount. Furthermore, it would replace any federal state, or local park pass and waive registration and reservation requirements.

mcstick
07-18-2013, 20:26
Destroy all shelters.

Lone Wolf
07-18-2013, 20:26
Gotta be honest LW, I thought you may say " Flatten all the shelters and privies"

shelters and privies aren't rules or regs.

RF_ace
07-18-2013, 20:31
would be nice to have a system to educate people to be kind to the environment while taking in the beauty it offers

snifur
07-18-2013, 20:34
I would make corporal punishment mandatory for those that discard irresponsibly their water bottles, candy wrappers, soda and beer cans, oh and the fire pit urinators.

HikerMom58
07-18-2013, 20:34
AT:

Increase the # of ridge runners on the trail to teach and enforce LNT etc.....

Lone Wolf
07-18-2013, 20:36
AT:

Increase the # of ridge runners on the trail to teach and enforce LNT etc.....oh heck no! too many already

Dogwood
07-18-2013, 20:39
All 2000+ miler trails would be much better off if everyone hiking those trails paid me a $100 user fee!:D I would accept alternative forms of payment like Western Mountaineering, Zpacks, and WholeFoods Gift Certificates.

snifur
07-18-2013, 20:40
Dog, what do you have to offer in exchange for the user fee?

The Ace
07-18-2013, 20:48
Each hostel, hotel, and outfitter would be required to stamp the passport which would provide the LDHiker a discount.

Don't forget the madatory cell phone battery charging.

snifur
07-18-2013, 21:46
My bad, the passport would guarantee free cell phone charging at any near trail establishment.

Dogwood
07-18-2013, 21:57
This is in a monarchy. You dare question? Don't step on the robe. Pay the fee or your 2000 + mile stamp will not be approved.

Odd Man Out
07-19-2013, 00:15
Invoke Allmansrätten everywhere.

http://naturetravels.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/wild-camping-in-sweden-and-the-right-of-public-access/

rocketsocks
07-19-2013, 02:06
Invoke Allmansrätten everywhere.

http://naturetravels.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/wild-camping-in-sweden-and-the-right-of-public-access/

I like it!....Thanks for linking that Odd Man Out, saved me from looking it up, never heard of it before.

That could be a thread in and of itself....would make for some very interesting dialog I think :-?

What say you?

daddytwosticks
07-19-2013, 07:09
The most important rule: enjoy your hike or leave. Don't be a downer to others. :)

Tri-Pod Bob
07-19-2013, 07:24
For a long distance hiker desiring to hike the full 2000plus miles i would create a passport registration system. Small booklet that is to be carried by all legit long distance hikers that documents their travels. Each hostel, hotel, and outfitter would be required to stamp the passport which would provide the LDHiker a discount. Furthermore, it would replace any federal state, or local park pass and waive registration and reservation requirements.

Climbed Mt. Fuji in 1977 & at intermittent elevations, there were locals who manned a small branding station. They would brand the hiking staff (purchased at the base of the mtn) for you, which provided proof of making it to the summit (or however high one wanted to climb) & also made for an interesting conversation starter/keepsake. Haven't used it in yrs, (usually grab a pc of deadwood from the side of the trail) but, I'm pulling it out of retirement soon & it will be with me for my SOBO Thru attempt next June. I've considered a set of hiking/ski poles for the trip, but then I wouldn't be able to call myself "Tri-Pod" anymore!! LOL

Odd Man Out
07-19-2013, 12:59
I like it!....Thanks for linking that Odd Man Out, saved me from looking it up, never heard of it before.

That could be a thread in and of itself....would make for some very interesting dialog I think :-?

What say you?

The problem I see is that this principle is closely linked to the national tradition/culture of Sweden, which means it probably won't translate well to other cultures in real life (too bad as I am a American of 100% Swedish ancestry)

The reality of Americans buying into the ideal cited in the previous link, i.e. care, responsibility, respect, common sense, good judgement, fairness, sustainable, do not disturb, do not destroy... all on an honor system without rules/regulations/enforcement, seems like a stretch.

Woody Guthrie reflected this ideal in the original lyrics of his most famous song.

There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;
Sign was painted, it said private property;But on the back side it didn't say nothing;This land was made for you and me

It's interesting that more recent versions omit this and some of the other more idealistic verses so many who know the song don't know all of it. Unfortunately, many also know this parody which probably reflects some aspect of reality:

"This land is my land. It isn't your land. If you don't get off it, I'll blow your head off..."

Not very Swedish

rocketsocks
07-19-2013, 13:39
The problem I see is that this principle is closely linked to the national tradition/culture of Sweden, which means it probably won't translate well to other cultures in real life (too bad as I am a American of 100% Swedish ancestry)

The reality of Americans buying into the ideal cited in the previous link, i.e. care, responsibility, respect, common sense, good judgement, fairness, sustainable, do not disturb, do not destroy... all on an honor system without rules/regulations/enforcement, seems like a stretch.

Woody Guthrie reflected this ideal in the original lyrics of his most famous song.

There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;
Sign was painted, it said private property;But on the back side it didn't say nothing;This land was made for you and me

It's interesting that more recent versions omit this and some of the other more idealistic verses so many who know the song don't know all of it. Unfortunately, many also know this parody which probably reflects some aspect of reality:

"This land is my land. It isn't your land. If you don't get off it, I'll blow your head off..."

Not very Swedish
No, I never heard that verse before, and yes it sure would be difficult for us Americans to over night switch to the mind set that this land is your land...so take care of it for me/for you...We'd muck it up for sure, free range litter. Still a cool concept. Thanks for posting.

Odd Man Out
07-19-2013, 14:32
There are two other verses that are often omitted. I almost never hear the second of these.

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.

In the squares of the city, In the shadow of a steeple;
By the relief office, I'd seen my people.
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking,
Is this land made for you and me?

Guthrie also used a variant of the private property verse, which is the version I usually hear:

As I went walking I saw a sign there
and on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.

You will hear it on this excellent version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHqOl7v4Axg

Deadeye
07-19-2013, 16:55
...booklet that is to be carried by all legit long distance hikers...

Now you have to define what constitues a legit long distance hiker. This crowd already argues endlessly about what's ultralight, what's a thru-hiker, what's a thru-hike, etc., you're just asking for trouble.

10%
07-19-2013, 17:46
I like the idea of having trashcans at every roadcrossing. Although I always pack mytrash out, it is obvious looking at some of the shelters that not everyonedoes. I like the idea of making it easyfor people to do the right thing.

Tipi Walter
07-19-2013, 18:08
I would ban all internet forums that involve discussion of hiking records, speed, weight, and distance and make them punishable by exile of offenders to a small flat uneventful island that has views of green mountains across the water.

Amen, Pass the cornbread.

Destroy all shelters.

This is a no-brainer and totally agreeable.

AT:

Increase the # of ridge runners on the trail to teach and enforce LNT etc.....

Horrible idea. There's too much surveillance as it is.

bfayer
07-19-2013, 18:08
I like the idea of having trashcans at every roadcrossing. Although I always pack mytrash out, it is obvious looking at some of the shelters that not everyonedoes. I like the idea of making it easyfor people to do the right thing.

Sounds great. Now my rule would be: Make the people of Columbus Ohio pay to maintain the trash cans, empty them and dispose of the trash :)

After all there is no reason the local counties and municipalities along the trail should have to pay to haul away other peoples trash, if someone has to pay, why not Ohio? It's just other peoples money after all.

IceAge
07-23-2013, 13:47
If I were in charge of the Ice Age Trail I would have one focus, complete the trail! Something over half of the 1200 miles are completed, but in irregular sections. I'd pick a terminus and start going county by county completing the trail as much as possible. I'd rather have 300 miles of continuous trail than 600 miles scattered all over the state.

tophatxj
07-24-2013, 02:45
What are ridge runners?

Hill Ape
07-24-2013, 03:03
What are ridge runners?

volunteer trail maintainers