PDA

View Full Version : Who do think has the most intriguing/interesting personality on WB?

HikerMom58
07-18-2013, 20:54
I find people interesting. I've often thought to myself- Man, I wish I could meet "that" WB member in person. I've been very fortunate to meet quite a few of you in person or talk to you on the phone. :sun I'm so looking forward to meeting many more of you. I would LOVE to meet all of you!!

So who would you like to meet on WB and why?

I'll start but this is just scratching the surface for me...... I would like to meet Dogwood & Winged Monkey. Dogwood- he intrigues me with his belief system. Not quite sure where he's coming from...

WM- he's interesting. Ahhhh.... I think he's had an interesting life, living in a bell tower etc... after he put up a picture of himself (as a young lad)- he didn't look anything like a "Winged Monkey".

FYI.. no need to wonder about me at all... everyone that has met me, in person, says I'm exactly like I come across on here. No surprises at all.

Storm
07-18-2013, 21:01
Well shucks HM, guess if I already know you from here then I don't want to meet you in person. NOT

adamkrz
07-18-2013, 21:08
For me it would be Lone Wolf, I wonder if we crossed paths in The Marine Corps..

coach lou
07-18-2013, 21:11
For me it would be Lone Wolf, I wonder if we crossed paths in The Marine Corps..

We never met......but we were both in barracks in French Creek in '78'. Me Motor-T, he was an Engineer!...........it's a small Corps Brother! Semper Fi Marine!

You 2 boots!:)

chief
07-18-2013, 21:28
Nah, not Lone Wolf, I met him in 2000. Contrary to popular belief he's the same in person as he is here, pithy all the way. One of my fondest moments on the AT was spending time atop Baxter Peak with the man himself and sweet Gypsy. I'd like to meet HikerMomKD, she's such a babe. Married, but still a babe!

Dogwood
07-18-2013, 21:44
I have that effect on all the woman when I start talking about beliefs. Then they see my bank account. It's a slippery slope downhill from there.:D Thanks for the compliment though.

Kookork
07-18-2013, 22:03
In no particular order:

Lone Wolf: He is intriguing as it gets with his belief system that is old school yet has many younger followers. I have a feeling that he is sweeter when on trail. He promised me to have a beer with me next year when I am in Damascus.

Max Patch: He is the encyclopedia of the WB and he is the one who normally posts what I am going to post ( we have close ideology about hiking and possibly life)

HikerMomKD: I like her peace making efforts and her gracious heart and her desire to help other people.( and I like the fact that she is always routing for the underdogs)

Rain Man: He always uses a massive load of common sense and very kind and polite. he is the prime example of everything in moderation even moderation itself.

Winged Monkey: A living example of mixing a dervish and a hiker.

Tinker: Not very active recently but he was in my radar from the first day .

Sarcasm the Elf: Loads of wisdom in most of his comments.

Marta: The mixture of a kind person while being a moderator which is difficult to successfully mix and she has done it.

Jack Tarllin: The prime example of an old school man but not an old hat.

Sgt Rock: His loads of experience and the fact that he is ready to share his knowledge and experience with others for free.

There should be much more if I search the members list but for now it is what I can remember without referring to the list.

Driver8
07-18-2013, 22:24
I'd say Jack Tarlin - I like the way he thinks and expresses himself.

Mags is super-awesome, seems like to me.

Marta, too. She seems to be deep waters, I like her calm and presence.

Among the Mod/Admin staff, I've grown to respect and appreciate Alligator, who I think is wicked smaht and also deep waters. One of your more intriguing reptiles around.

Rain Man's a nice guy - I like him but haven't met him.

10-K and Cookerhiker seem like really cool and interesting people.

HikerMom, you're a lovely sweet dear. Would be fun to hike with you or get into other mischief - PG-rated, of course. :)

Only just getting to know Illabelle, who seems quite interesting, too.

I'm sure there are others not coming to mind right away - Cosmo the trail maintaining legend of the Berkshires and Jeff of Green Mountain Hostel come to mind as I say that.

I've met maybe a 20 people from WB, almost all very smart, pleasant and interesting people. I'd like to get to know Chaco Taco and Migrating Bird better than the brief, unawares passings we had out on trail.

Just Bill
07-18-2013, 22:25
I'm curious if Sarcasm the Elf has elf sized sarcasm- or is only sarcastically elf sized. Otherwise I'd like to meet everyone here, preferably on the trail, preferably after you or I packed in a twelve pack, ideally just running into each other at an amazing vista. Dream meeting, not being sarcastic- Lone Wolf, Walt Leonard, Jen Davis, Matt Kirk (I know they aren't active but they have posted), Warren Doyle- and two 3 liter Platypi full of Johnny Walker Blue. Best case- amazing conversation- worst case- there's $1,000 worth of scotch to drink.

Driver8
07-18-2013, 22:30
I'm curious if Sarcasm the Elf has elf sized sarcasm- or is only sarcastically elf sized. Otherwise I'd like to meet everyone here, preferably on the trail, preferably after you or I packed in a twelve pack, ideally just running into each other at an amazing vista. Dream meeting, not being sarcastic- Lone Wolf, Walt Leonard, Jen Davis, Matt Kirk (I know they aren't active but they have posted), Warren Doyle- and two 3 liter Platypi full of Johnny Walker Blue. Best case- amazing conversation- worst case- there's $1,000 worth of scotch to drink.

Elf's a very pleasant, low-key guy. Your scenario sounds like a fine one, though I'd be likely to partake of the drink but a little at most.

atmilkman
07-18-2013, 22:33
I'd have to go with Tipi Walter. Guy does some serious treks. Maybe not the typical thru hiker stuff but some serious jaunts.

Tuckahoe
07-18-2013, 22:36
Everytime I see Driver8 post I am reminded of a favorite song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuFId1RYSZE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just Bill
07-18-2013, 22:39
Elf's a very pleasant, low-key guy. Your scenario sounds like a fine one, though I'd be likely to partake of the drink but a little at most.
I'll drink your share- come along then- non drinking drinkers are my favorite drinking companions when the drink is in short supply! Edit- did I just miss a very clever play on words; Low-key guy/Elf- if so; Bravo- if not- you should take credit anyway.

Driver8
07-18-2013, 22:46
Thanks for posting that, Tuckahoe! One of my fave REM songs: "We can reach our destination/But it's still a way's away": the inspiration for my trail name. :)

Driver8
07-18-2013, 22:53
I'll drink your share- come along then- non drinking drinkers are my favorite drinking companions when the drink is in short supply! Edit- did I just miss a very clever play on words; Low-key guy/Elf- if so; Bravo- if not- you should take credit anyway.

Another reason you'd like JPD to be there, I reckon. :) So Katahdin it is?

Driver8
07-18-2013, 22:56
I also want to meet Sawnie/Kinnickinic and Blissful. Neat people!

WingedMonkey
07-18-2013, 23:06
Winged Monkey: A living example of mixing a dervish and a hiker.

What an unusual analogy. Especially if you compare the Indo-Iranian concept between a dervish and a sannyasi.

Made more strange by facts that you were not even aware of the following history.

The trail name "The Winged Monkey" was a corruption of "The Flying Monkey". "The Flying Monkey" is an Anglicization of the Hindu name "Hanuman". "Hanuman" was the name given to me by my guru.

rocketsocks
07-19-2013, 01:48
I wanna meet...

The the Lady who says "here take two their small"

The husband and wife team that says "you know, if you do like this it might work better"

The guy that says with a gleam in his eye "I met my Mary on this trail, we were so young then"

A Drunk who's hit rock bottom and is ready to quit but doesn't know how

The little kid that says "Hey mister, do you know how to fix a bicycle chain"

The dog that wakes me up first thing in the morning by licking my face, while on lookers laugh cause it's not my dog

The fella that says "So I'm thinking about leaving the trail today, I just don't think I can take anymore"

The kid that says "When I'm get done hiking the trail, I'm gonna going back to school/military/work with cousin"

The guy that asks, "So what would you do" in an attempt to be provocative

The store owner that says "will you mind the store for a few minutes while I run up stairs to check on Mother"

An old man whittling a stick and telling stories of a forgotten time, intermixed with dirty jokes

The Dead Head that says "ah man, I was at that show too, remember when Jerry..."

The Women who says "Here, try this...made it myself"

A snake that says "Go around me Bitch, I was here first"

The crazy but harmless hermit in the woods that smells like $2 dollar Gin

The guy that says "Fugowie"

The sham that disregards others

The Chick that I ask, So how far ya goin? and she says....."all the way baby"...winks at me, then laughs as she strolls on by

An apparition of some past Presidents on a sleepless night

The girl that says "I'm Elizabeth, we talk all the time on White Blaze, but you know me as....."

The guy that says "Here let me get that for ya"

A trail maintainer who says "You can buy me a beer in town later"....and I do!

The kid that says "Hey, do you know how to read a map"

The Man that says, "we really need some help here, can you go to town and call someone for us"

But mostly I just wanna meet you :)

Teacher & Snacktime
07-19-2013, 01:56
+1 on all those RS

rocketsocks
07-19-2013, 02:09
+1 on all those RSThank you, I had a good teacher :)

Gray Blazer
07-19-2013, 02:11
They are not WB members, but I did enjoy meeting the Swedish Bikini Backpacking Team on Tray Mt. They were very intriguing and interesting with huge personalities.

rocketsocks
07-19-2013, 02:14
They are not WB members, but I did enjoy meeting the Swedish Bikini Backpacking Team on Tray Mt. They were very intriguing and interesting with huge personalities.

I love peoples with big personalities, then I can kick back, relax, and watch the show.

Gray Blazer
07-19-2013, 02:32
I love peoples with big personalities, then I can kick back, relax, and watch the show.

Allmansrattens. ;)

Which literally translates to all men are rats.

rocketsocks
07-19-2013, 02:36
Allmansrattens. ;)

Which literally translates to all men are rats.
Ooooh, So that's why they need all that open space to roam

hikerboy57
07-19-2013, 06:26
matthewski.

illabelle
07-19-2013, 06:36
I'd say Jack Tarlin - I like the way he thinks and expresses himself.

Mags is super-awesome, seems like to me.

Marta, too. She seems to be deep waters, I like her calm and presence.

Among the Mod/Admin staff, I've grown to respect and appreciate Alligator, who I think is wicked smaht and also deep waters. One of your more intriguing reptiles around.

Rain Man's a nice guy - I like him but haven't met him.

10-K and Cookerhiker seem like really cool and interesting people.

HikerMom, you're a lovely sweet dear. Would be fun to hike with you or get into other mischief - PG-rated, of course. :)

Only just getting to know Illabelle, who seems quite interesting, too.

I'm sure there are others not coming to mind right away - Cosmo the trail maintaining legend of the Berkshires and Jeff of Green Mountain Hostel come to mind as I say that.

I've met maybe a 20 people from WB, almost all very smart, pleasant and interesting people. I'd like to get to know Chaco Taco and Migrating Bird better than the brief, unawares passings we had out on trail.

Wow! Didn't think I'd merit a mention on this thread. :) Thanks Driver8!

I've met a few WBers (shuttlers LW and 10-K, and a few non-posting WB members and lurkers). I suspect many of us are pretty different in person than we may appear here. On WB the only way to express yourself is with the keyboard. All the non-verbal stuff that helps to convey who we are is left out of the equation. How we look, where we look, what we look at, who we look at, how much our eyes shift around while we talk or while we listen, etc, etc. And of course, who we are on the trail is different from who we are in "real life." On the trail we're all hikers, we're all dirty, we're all hungry, we're all interested in water sources, bears, and the next climb - so much in common!

I welcome meeting any WBer on trail, and adding a layer of realness to the WB persona.

Cookerhiker
07-19-2013, 07:50
It's always cool to meet a WBer in person, especially if you've only "known" him/her for years through cyberspace. I like Weary's posts and respect him for all he's done for the trail and consequently was thrilled to finally meet him in person at the 2009 ATC biennial. I consider Mags an interesting, level-headed, clear-thinking person as well as a treasure of knowledge about hiking all trails and in less than 2 weeks, I'll meet him for the first time when I pass through Colorado en-route to California.

In the past 2 1/2 years, I've enjoyed meeting Rain Man, Jeff, Blissful, Handlebar, JohnnyBGood, Jersey Dave, Kerosene, HikerMom and others. And it was a pleasure to meet 10-K last March when I shuttled him for his Sheltowee Trace thruhike. I've met Alligator several times including one occasion when we were both section hiking the same stretch.

It was Will Rogers who said "I've never met a man I didn't like."

The ALDHA Gathering and the 2 Rucks are great places to meet other hikers.

HikerMom58
07-19-2013, 09:01
It's always cool to meet a WBer in person, especially if you've only "known" him/her for years through cyberspace. I like Weary's posts and respect him for all he's done for the trail and consequently was thrilled to finally meet him in person at the 2009 ATC biennial. I consider Mags an interesting, level-headed, clear-thinking person as well as a treasure of knowledge about hiking all trails and in less than 2 weeks, I'll meet him for the first time when I pass through Colorado en-route to California.

In the past 2 1/2 years, I've enjoyed meeting Rain Man, Jeff, Blissful, Handlebar, JohnnyBGood, Jersey Dave, Kerosene, HikerMom and others. And it was a pleasure to meet 10-K last March when I shuttle him for his Sheltowee Trace thruhike. I've met Alligator several times including one occasion when we were both section hiking the same stretch.

It was Will Rogers who said "I've never met a man I didn't like." (or woman)

The ALDHA Gathering and the 2 Rucks are great places to meet other hikers.

I love that quote... soo true, Cookerhiker.

Yes, I met you along with Kerosene, JohnneyBGood (sp?) Hikerhead in downtown Roanoke... so cool. I wasn't an active member at all on WB when I met ya'll. It was FUN!

Since then, I have met & enjoyed chatting with/shuttling and on the trail ..... P.J., Zippy Morocco,Sixes,ChinMusic,B-Rocket,Rather go up, Sol Creature, Cedar Tree, Joshuasdad,NCMedic, Carry on, ATRobin, TOW, Lone Wolf, Gyspy, Hikerboy, Coach Lou, OZ, Invisible Man,Army Ant,Deer Hunter, Amy(can't remember her user name) I'm certain I've forgotten someone...sorry. :(

I'm looking forward to meeting Teacher&Snacktime ..:) Astro is on his way too...

So much FUN!!

Thanks guys for all your reply's .... just amazing!! They made me laugh, smile a lot and even made my head swell!! THanks :p!

There's so many personality's... all so special!! I would love to meet ATTroll & Alligator, of course. All the other gals.. TW, S'more, Trillium, illabelle and Blissful ... just to name a few.. we gals have to stick together, although, Train Wreck can hold her own with all the boyz..... no support needed. TW is the "bomb"!!! I'd love to meet BirdBrain. Everyone else in the Cafe, for sure... goes without saying!! :) max patch is one of the newbies to the Cafe.. nice!!

Hey- one personality that we can't forget is IB.. thanks for the kind PM's you've sent me IB. I've seen that :cool: side of you.... I believe in you, IB.

Y'all are making this a fun thread...

Could we plan to meet up at Trail Days in 2014?? That would be so FUN!!

AND to all the new members of WB.... Welcome, welcome... nice to have you here. Can't wait to get to know ya!!

treesloth
07-19-2013, 09:23
What an unusual analogy. Especially if you compare the Indo-Iranian concept between a dervish and a sannyasi.

Made more strange by facts that you were not even aware of the following history.

The trail name "The Winged Monkey" was a corruption of "The Flying Monkey". "The Flying Monkey" is an Anglicization of the Hindu name "Hanuman". "Hanuman" was the name given to me by my guru.

So much for my Wizard of Oz theory.

Driver8
07-19-2013, 11:47
Rocket Socks would be fun to hike with, too. Never a dull moment. ... :)

fredmugs
07-19-2013, 11:51
Matthewski. Is he still around?

Driver8
07-19-2013, 11:53
Matthewski. Is he still around?

Now and then. Poked his head in here a month ago looking for investors for a refurbishment of the Doyle in PA.

rocketsocks
07-19-2013, 13:11
Rocket Socks would be fun to hike with, too. Never a dull moment. ... :)I don't do dull very well :D

Drybones
07-19-2013, 14:34
I like the free spirited witty type, since I have no sense of humor it helps to be around those that do. I'd like to meet Train Wreck, she's sharp as a tack, I get lots of laughs from her posts, also like to meet Rocketsocks. I believe sitting around a campfire with those two would make for an interesting evening.

JAK
07-19-2013, 14:50
Personally I've always felt that 51 year old extroverted know-it-all depressed asperger burnouts that talk to much are highly under-rated.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-19-2013, 14:52
I like the free spirited witty type, since I have no sense of humor it helps to be around those that do. I'd like to meet Train Wreck, she's sharp as a tack, I get lots of laughs from her posts, also like to meet Rocketsocks. I believe sitting around a campfire with those two would make for an interesting evening.

Totally agree, and hope to find out for myself quite soon!

Teacher & Snacktime
07-19-2013, 14:53
Personally I've always felt that 51 year old extroverted know-it-all depressed asperger burnouts that talk to much are highly under-rated.

Now that I know....I TOTALLY want to meet you. Aspies have a firm place in my heart.

kayak karl
07-19-2013, 15:29
Matthewski. Is he still around? he's alive and sweating on the streets of Philly.

treesloth
07-19-2013, 15:39
IMO, I'm betting that many online personalities here would differ GREATLY from what is seen in IRL. That's often the way it goes! Some people excel in personality online, only to find that they can't hold a quality conversation with a person when it comes to RL. Some, the other way around. I never hold expectations too high with regards to that.

HikerMom58
07-19-2013, 15:46

Drybones... you do have a sense of humor and I LOVE IT!! You have made me laugh so many times. You are one of my favs!

JAK.. I agree with T&S... gotta meet ya! ;)

There are so many awesome people on this site!! If we all got together we would have so much fun! We have so many "inside jokes"!! :banana Can any of you "guys" remember the greatest thread of all times??... I wonder where the guy is, that posted that thread. It was the greatest thread EVER!!

HikerMom58
07-19-2013, 15:48
IMO, I'm betting that many online personalities here would differ GREATLY from what is seen in IRL. That's often the way it goes! Some people excel in personality online, only to find that they can't hold a quality conversation with a person when it comes to RL. Some, the other way around. I never hold expectations too high with regards to that.

There might be some truth to that... it would be interesting to see! :) I luv ur sig. treesloth! :)

treesloth
07-19-2013, 18:37
I luv ur sig. treesloth! :)

Thanks chica. Keep fighting the good fight. Or something like that.

illabelle
07-19-2013, 18:44

Campfire??? Didn't you read the fire ring thread? How could you even think of such a thing!
now which one of these smilies is the sarcastic one? :p :rolleyes:

Teacher & Snacktime
07-19-2013, 19:13
SOME places it's ok to have a campfire! :)

Gray Blazer
07-19-2013, 19:32
IMO, I'm betting that many online personalities here would differ GREATLY from what is seen in IRL. That's often the way it goes! Some people excel in personality online, only to find that they can't hold a quality conversation with a person when it comes to RL.

So, you've met me before.

hikerboy57
07-19-2013, 21:28
for me, its a very short list of people i wouldnt want to meet.ive met and hiked with so many of you over the past few years and ive yet to be dissapointed. in the past year ive hiked with coach lou several times, sarcasm the elf, lazarus, driver8,milkman, oz, invisible man,army ant, karma,wilson,chuckyv,and i dont know how many other wbers on the trail this year. also had the opportunity to meet jack tarlin, blissful, 10=k hikermom,lone wolf,train wreck, winton porter,warren doyle, and i know im leaving a lot out right now that i cant remember at the moment,especially rasty.
hey its a great community that we have here, and im really really pleased to be a part of it. its funny though that when you meet people in person, its rarely what you thought it would be --its always better!
we have our disagreements here from time to time, but when we meet they all go away. we're just people sharing a common love for hiking and the outdoors.
so in closing, id like to say, in just so many words, that although sometimes i have tendency to drone on and on, in this case i will do my best to get right to the point, so there is no misunderstanding and try to keep it simple and straightforward, expressing these thoughts in just a few words.

thanks for putting up with me.everyone here intrigues me. i want to meet everyone.

Wise Old Owl
07-19-2013, 21:43
The interesting thing to me HB is when you meet a WB person who took opposition with a past post... melts in front of you... the posts are more shall we say... our subconscious the reality is face value....

Driver8
07-20-2013, 00:17

To a person, the WB'ers and other chat-site people I've met in real life, if they posted a lot, i.e., were talkative on the site, were chatterboxes in real life. If they posted infrequently, they were more likely to be quieter. Some infrequent posters also are chatterboxes, in my experience.

I've found that online presence maps to personality in real life pretty well, for the most part.

Driver8
07-20-2013, 00:21
P.S.: Am I the only one itching to get back up to the Whites? Jimmy legs are setting in. ... :rolleyes:

Teacher & Snacktime
07-20-2013, 01:51
for me, its a very short list of people i wouldnt want to meet.ive met and hiked with so many of you over the past few years and ive yet to be dissapointed. in the past year ive hiked with coach lou several times, sarcasm the elf, lazarus, driver8,milkman, oz, invisible man,army ant, karma,wilson,chuckyv,and i dont know how many other wbers on the trail this year. also had the opportunity to meet jack tarlin, blissful, 10=k hikermom,lone wolf,train wreck, winton porter,warren doyle, and i know im leaving a lot out right now that i cant remember at the moment,especially rasty.
hey its a great community that we have here, and im really really pleased to be a part of it. its funny though that when you meet people in person, its rarely what you thought it would be --its always better!
we have our disagreements here from time to time, but when we meet they all go away. we're just people sharing a common love for hiking and the outdoors.
so in closing, id like to say, in just so many words, that although sometimes i have tendency to drone on and on, in this case i will do my best to get right to the point, so there is no misunderstanding and try to keep it simple and straightforward, expressing these thoughts in just a few words.

thanks for putting up with me.everyone here intrigues me. i want to meet everyone.

a wonderful sentiment...eloquently put

chiefduffy
07-20-2013, 06:05
I'd have to go with Tipi Walter. Guy does some serious treks. Maybe not the typical thru hiker stuff but some serious jaunts.

..+1. And HikerMom. I have met a lot of you, though I'm sure you wouldn't remember me. I was impressed by each of you. So nice to add a physical person to the cyber-image.

MelNino
07-20-2013, 09:12
Fun thread! Wonder if I ran into any of fellow Connecticut posters already.
Normally just lurk here, but you all seem like cool cats, I'd like to run into you on some trail.

(Is it October yet? That's my next trip to the Whites, can't wait!)

HikerMom58
07-20-2013, 09:20
Good thoughts guys... :)

Hey- I just talked to Deer Hunter last night. We like putting faces to our cyber hiker friends... agreed. We've got to add our own unique accents from all over the country & world as part of our enjoyment of meeting each other in person.(Loved hearing "the Aussies" talkin!!)

If you want to hear a southern accent, at it's BEST---Deer Hunter is the one you need to meet!!

I'm sure there are others out there that are interesting to hear too!! :cool:

But, if you want to eat at at the Homeplace w/ Deer Hunter -- you can't get any more "southern" than that!! Yeehaw!!!

Another idea I had for meeting at Trail Days 2014 is making our own t-shirts with WB on the back & our username on the front or whatever. I think I'll make mine out of cuban fiber and use duck tape for the "lettering". LOL..

We should def. make sure we have our own WB talent show. We got skilzzz!! :D

HikerMom58
07-20-2013, 09:27
Fun thread! Wonder if I ran into any of fellow Connecticut posters already.
Normally just lurk here, but you all seem like cool cats, I'd like to run into you on some trail.

(Is it October yet? That's my next trip to the Whites, can't wait!)

Hey MelNino... thanks for posting!! Welcome, welcome MelNino!! There's a lot of people on here from CT!!

The fall will be here before you know it!! Fall in the Whites= awesome. Please share ur pics with us later!!! :)

Double Wide
07-20-2013, 09:58
I've been lucky enough to not only meet Rainman, but break bread at his dining room table. I'd like to hike with 10-K at some point, but I'm sure he'd leave my slow ass in the dust! I think CookerHiker and I would get along pretty well, too.

And oh yeah, I'd let Tipi Walter carry my pack for me, because hey, what's another 30 lbs, right??? :D

Honestly, almost all the hikers I've met are pretty cool people except for one evangelizing ultra-lighter and some weirdo that was living in the Hawk Mtn shelter.

dmax
07-20-2013, 10:17
Hopefuuly it is many more years from now ... I'd like to meet grandma gatewood, Benton Mckay and the scouts.

Kerosene
07-20-2013, 10:30
I've had the opportunity to meet a number of WBers since before it was even called WhiteBlaze.net, including: HikerHead, ATwalker99, Seatbelt, Cookerhiker, HikerMomKD, JerseyDave, Johnnybgood, Flash Hand, Knees, Lone Wolf, Jack Tarlin, Warren Doyle, Sleeveless, Neo, Easy Feelin', Spud, DaveCoupland, and Jesse. I'm sure I've probably talked to a number of other members but we never got around to talking about WhiteBlaze. Pretty amazing when you consider that I only get back east once a year to hike for a week. I'd sit down with anyone above and buy them a beer, but their personalities are all quite different, which is part of the attraction of the Trail. I do know that HikerHead wants a re-match in 8-ball after I kicked his butt at a little bar in Twin Mountain, NH in 2006!

Cookerhiker
07-20-2013, 10:58
I've been lucky enough to not only meet Rainman, but break bread at his dining room table. I'd like to hike with 10-K at some point, but I'm sure he'd leave my slow ass in the dust! I think CookerHiker and I would get along pretty well, too.

And oh yeah, I'd let Tipi Walter carry my pack for me, because hey, what's another 30 lbs, right??? :D

Honestly, almost all the hikers I've met are pretty cool people except for one evangelizing ultra-lighter and some weirdo that was living in the Hawk Mtn shelter.

Thanks although given our age difference, I suspect you'd leave me in the dust ;). You're right about 10-K and it's not like he intentionally races; he's just built for hiking along with being in great shape.

Regarding your "evangelizing ultra-lighter," I encountered one also on my Maine section hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=117260). Unsolicited and out of the blue, he lectured me about the size and weight of my pack, telling me I needed to get "old-time religion" :confused: which was confounding since I thought "old-time" = heavy packs & gear.

Tipi Walter
07-20-2013, 12:34

Rain Man is a good sort as I just pulled part of a trip with him on Flats Mt and down to the South Fork Citico trail which we traversed with his friend Sarah. See below fotog---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Tipi-Walter-Slickrock/i-59WGpTj/0/L/Trip%20146%20026-L.jpg
With Rain Man and Sarah on the South Fork trail, taken in June this year. Praise headnets.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Tipi-Walter-Slickrock/i-XDSN3Pg/0/M/600_252784592-M.jpg
In this pic yes I am wearing 61 ultralight packs all strapped together. Rain Man took this shot on top of Flats Mt.

10-K
07-20-2013, 14:16
Everyone I've met in person that I've known from WB has been pretty fun.

I met Slo-go'en south of Erwin, again on the Long Trail, and yet again in Erwin this spring. Lone Wolf, Hikerboy, Southmark, and many more - all good. Enjoyed spending time with Cookerhiker for some hours riding through Kentucky.

People that come across here as nice have been nice in person and folks who are a bit more abrasive online have been equally nice. We're a pretty good group of people, especially considering our many varied backgrounds and histories.

Driver8
07-20-2013, 17:18
Thanks although given our age difference, I suspect you'd leave me in the dust ;). You're right about 10-K and it's not like he intentionally races; he's just built for hiking along with being in great shape.

Regarding your "evangelizing ultra-lighter," I encountered one also on my Maine section hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=117260). Unsolicited and out of the blue, he lectured me about the size and weight of my pack, telling me I needed to get "old-time religion" :confused: which was confounding since I thought "old-time" = heavy packs & gear.

I think one of the funniest passages of A Walk in the Woods is where Bryson waxes caustic about a particularly evangelical gearhead, somewhere in Virginia, as I recall. I've gotta go back and re-read that book.

Driver8
07-20-2013, 17:24
I don't do dull very well :D

Neither dull nor dim! ;)

Cookerhiker
07-20-2013, 17:34
I think one of the funniest passages of A Walk in the Woods is where Bryson waxes caustic about a particularly evangelical gearhead, somewhere in Virginia, as I recall. I've gotta go back and re-read that book.

You may be referring to the incident in the Smokies' shelter where this guy approached Bryson and, using a feigned interest in Bryson's pack as an opener, proceeded to brag about his cool gear. Bryson's feeling about guys like this who start gear conversations was identical to mine but he expressed it so funny - something like "...I hate talking about gear but it's one of those things you have to do like talking to your mother's friends when you meet them in the supermarket..."

HikerMom58
07-20-2013, 18:03
Everyone I've met in person that I've known from WB has been pretty fun.

I met Slo-go'en south of Erwin, again on the Long Trail, and yet again in Erwin this spring. Lone Wolf, Hikerboy, Southmark, and many more - all good. Enjoyed spending time with Cookerhiker for some hours riding through Kentucky.

People that come across here as nice have been nice in person and folks who are a bit more abrasive online have been equally nice. We're a pretty good group of people, especially considering our many varied backgrounds and histories.

Yes, Indeed 10-K... I agree. It would be so cool if we could feel free to disagree "tactfully" with each other so we could, then, celebrate our differences. That would be awesome. I think we could if we put our minds to it. We come here because of what we have in common with each other... our love for hiking is what brings us all together. :)

Speaking of which, Gizzy Bear & RC Bear are getting ready to hike the 100 mile Wilderness in August, I believe.... luv those 2 bears!! Good luck "bears"!!

Also, I forgot to mention that I've always been intrigued with Feral Bill's avatar. Interesting guy too... :)

Rain Man is a good sort as I just pulled part of a trip with him on Flats Mt and down to the South Fork Citico trail which we traversed with his friend Sarah. See below fotog---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Tipi-Walter-Slickrock/i-59WGpTj/0/L/Trip%20146%20026-L.jpg
With Rain Man and Sarah on the South Fork trail, taken in June this year. Praise headnets.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2013-1/Tipi-Walter-Slickrock/i-XDSN3Pg/0/M/600_252784592-M.jpg
In this pic yes I am wearing 61 ultralight packs all strapped together. Rain Man took this shot on top of Flats Mt.

Love the pics!!!!!!!!!!!! Feel free to post all the pics you like so we can "see" you too. Gotta love that pack Tipi!!

Hummm.... me too!! :cool:

illabelle
07-20-2013, 21:20

My favorite passage in Bryson's book is page 114-115 where he compares the response of Stone Age Indians to the big modern city to the response he and Katz had after leaving the trail, and renting a car to drive to Virginia. Speaking of the interstate development, he wrote, "Here the real business was up close and on top of you: gas stations, Wal-Marts, K-marts, Dunkin Donuts, Blockbuster Videos, a ceaseless unfolding pageant of commercial hideousness. Even Katz was unnerved by it. 'Jeez, it's ugly,' he breathed in wonder, as if he had never witnessed such a thing before. I looked past him, along the line of his shoulder, to a vast shopping mall with a prairie--sized parking lot, and agreed. It was horrible. And then, lavishly and in unison, we wet ourselves."

Cracks me up!

Teacher & Snacktime
07-20-2013, 21:32
My favorite passage in Bryson's book is page 114-115 where he compares the response of Stone Age Indians to the big modern city to the response he and Katz had after leaving the trail, and renting a car to drive to Virginia. Speaking of the interstate development, he wrote, "Here the real business was up close and on top of you: gas stations, Wal-Marts, K-marts, Dunkin Donuts, Blockbuster Videos, a ceaseless unfolding pageant of commercial hideousness. Even Katz was unnerved by it. 'Jeez, it's ugly,' he breathed in wonder, as if he had never witnessed such a thing before. I looked past him, along the line of his shoulder, to a vast shopping mall with a prairie--sized parking lot, and agreed. It was horrible. And then, lavishly and in unison, we wet ourselves."

Cracks me up!

Now THERE'S someone I'd like to meet on the trail.....maybe not Katz so much, but I would totally enjoy the wit of Bryson at a shelter for an evening....he might be almost as entertaining as Rocketsocks!

Driver8
07-21-2013, 02:27
Now THERE'S someone I'd like to meet on the trail.....maybe not Katz so much, but I would totally enjoy the wit of Bryson at a shelter for an evening....he might be almost as entertaining as Rocketsocks!

I get the sense that, like many a writer, Bryson is quite shy and channels his wit and charm into prose. Quite fine prose, of course, fortunately for us.

PS: Would enjoy meeting you, Teach, before too long as well. :)

coach lou
07-21-2013, 08:08
Bryson is soooo much more than 'Walk in the Woods'

gizzy bear
07-21-2013, 09:02
RCBear & I have said numerous times that we would love to sit by a fire and listen to Tipi stories... And to see him carrying his HIGH rise and all... But there are many others as well... I think all of the "regular" posters on WB are interesting in some form or fashion and it would be fun to run into those personalties on the trail :). All except for the lame trolls... I don't like trolls... They remind me of clowns... And I hate clowns...

Teacher & Snacktime
07-21-2013, 11:26
Bryson is soooo much more than 'Walk in the Woods'

Yes he is! Have your read Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid? Or I'm a Stranger Here Myself? One of my faves is Mother Tongue ! I love his style. He has a new book coming out this Sept.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-21-2013, 11:30
Me too Driver*. I've been thinking how cool it would be to have some sort of "picnic" of the AT locals....MA, CT, RI....and anyone who'd like to travel. Someplace like Ten Mile River Campground.....or Mashmoquet Park (this one is not on the trail though). No big agenda, just food and greetings!

coach lou
07-21-2013, 14:28
Yes he is! Have your read Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid? Or I'm a Stranger Here Myself? One of my faves is Mother Tongue ! I love his style. He has a new book coming out this Sept. Mother Tongue is also my fav!

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2013, 14:36
I love these popularity contests... makes me want to eat Cheesecake and watch the backpack'in women go by.... Right Lou?

HikerMom58
07-21-2013, 15:10
I love these popularity contests... makes me want to eat Cheesecake and watch the backpack'in women go by.... Right Lou?

Hey WOO... this thread isn't meant to be a popularity contest at all. It's about finding people interesting. It's about wishing you could meet everyone on here, in person. I know everyone would be cool, in their own way. :)

Everyone has a story to share about their life, hiking experiences & their reason for wanting to be a part of this hiking community etc..

Sometimes someone's post has me scratching my head wondering where they are coming from but that just makes me wish I could get to know/understand them better.

It's hard or next to impossible to really know peeps on here. I wish we could all meet each other at some point along the way. Planned or unplanned.

I like T&S idea of having a picnic for the "locals" in her area. I know there are organized meeting but too bad we couldn't have our own "hang outs", sometimes.

Times around a campfire with the "funnier types", on here, would be a blast... OH GOSH!!

I don't think RS and I would stop talkin... just sayin. If he and I hike together- hiking= chatting to me. I think he would be one of a few that might be up for it. I'm thinkin.. :) It's prob. why I don't see any bear while hiking. But, they could always want to check out my food while I'm sleepin. :eek:

Btw....I tasted Lou's (overload's) cheesecake... that has me wanting MORE!! YUM!!!

You can go "backpack watching" if you want too... BOYZ!:rolleyes::p

Gizzy bear.. I hear ya on the clown trolls. I don't think they would be that way if you met them in person! :cool:

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2013, 16:09
It was an inside joke between Coach and me... tongue and cheek stuff from our last hike.

HikerMom58
07-21-2013, 18:22
It was an inside joke between Coach and me... tongue and cheek stuff from our last hike.

Got ya WOO & I like it! :D

coach lou
07-21-2013, 20:12

Got ya WOO & I like it! :D

WOO.....you so funny!

rocketsocks
07-21-2013, 23:22
I guess one fella I'd like to talk with would be Tipi Walter...I mean c'mon the guy lived in a Tipi, gots to be some good stories there.

HikerMom58
07-22-2013, 07:03
I guess one fella I'd like to talk with would be Tipi Walter...I mean c'mon the guy lived in a tent, gots to be some good stories there.

I know, me too. It looks like he's in great shape for carrying that big ole pack too. It works!!

Lone Wolf
07-22-2013, 07:11
this thread is for the popular kids

HikerMom58
07-22-2013, 07:13

Well, you must be one of the popular kids cause you're on it now... :banana

Cookerhiker
07-22-2013, 07:59

I'd say it's more for those who post often. There are thousands of WB users who never post or perhaps once in a blue moon. Just look at the "Who's On?" For all we know, there are scores of more colorful, interesting, intelliegent WBers who are more introverted or for whatever reason, choose not to share their thoughts. And that's OK. HYOH, PWYWT (Post When You Want To).

HikerMom58
07-22-2013, 08:47
I'd say it's more for those who post often. There are thousands of WB users who never post or perhaps once in a blue moon. Just look at the "Who's On?" For all we know, there are scores of more colorful, interesting, intelliegent WBers who are more introverted or for whatever reason, choose not to share their thoughts. And that's OK. HYOH, PWYWT (Post When You Want To).

This, my friend, is prob. one of the best posts so far on this thread. I LOVE it!!

It is extroverts & ones that like/crave/are comfortable with attention that post the most on this site, period.

God help me!! When I did some personal introspection, I found that I could honestly say that I'm somewhat addicted to the attention, I receive on this site. (I hate the negative attention, it makes me want to go away for good) It's not all bad but it can "go south" really fast, if you're not careful.

I really wish we could know all the more colorful, interesting and intelligent WBers on this site. I know we don't even have a clue about how awesome they are.... Come on out of "hiding" y'all!! Introverts ROCK 2--- Us extroverts will try harder not to run you over. Post When You Want To- we are all "ears".

4shot
07-22-2013, 10:37
This, my friend, is prob. one of the best posts so far on this thread. I LOVE it!!

It is extroverts & ones that like/crave/are comfortable with attention that post the most on this site, period.

I really wish we could know all the more colorful, interesting and intelligent WBers on this site. I know we don't even have a clue about how awesome they are.... Come on out of "hiding" y'all!! Introverts ROCK 2--- Us extroverts will try harder not to run you over. Post When You Want To- we are all "ears".

I read often and post infrequently. If you stick around this site for very long, you will see threads are very often repetive in theme. I think that's why people who were frequent posters when I first joined have "dropped out". I find gear threads monotonous. The one forum where I most often post is the truhiker forum - I joined this site when I was planning my thru.Back then I found it to be a great source for advice. i was intrigued then and now with the mental aspect of a thru-hike - why a fraction of the ones who start are able to finish.I received great advice here and in person from former thruhikers and try to pay that back a little in that forum.

I do like this site as a source of factual information when planning my section hikes - finding shuttles, trail conditions, etc.I have met several WB members out on the trail or at hiker gatherings. All great people and most (not all) of them rarely post. I find the attitudes of people are generally better in face to face settings than when typing anonymopusly behind a keyboard.

again, this is a great resource and tool for hikers. I participate in several other web sites for other interests I have (fishing,bird hunting, dog training) and have noted that, like here, there are people who use it as a resource and others who particiapte often and use it for social reasons. I type too slow for that.

Edro
07-22-2013, 11:16
extroverts, intraverts, we all like seeing our posts quoted when we on the Rare occasion say something intelligent. or not...

as for the folks on here... there are many I think would be pretty cool to meet and or hike with.

bloodmountainman
07-22-2013, 11:44
I don't want to meet any of you.

slbirdnerd
07-22-2013, 12:08
All of you. I learn something new every day here.

kayak karl
07-22-2013, 12:33
i've met a lot on here. from quiet, talkative, intelligent, wild ones (Trouble 1 and Trouble 2), funny, serious and get along with most. i have met more that are not on WB and never heard of it. i am not interested in meeting anyone in particular on here. if our trails cross in time, great. to me lately WB has become more like WhiteNoise.net :rolleyes:

HikerMom58
07-22-2013, 12:45
Still listening... all ears!!

Tuckahoe
07-22-2013, 12:51
Im just sailing under the radar

Drybones
07-22-2013, 13:27
extroverts, intraverts, we all like seeing our posts quoted when we on the Rare occasion say something intelligent. or not...

as for the folks on here... there are many I think would be pretty cool to meet and or hike with.

Hey...what about the perverts? We like attention to you know.

jeffmeh
07-22-2013, 13:42
Hey...what about the perverts? We like attention to you know.

Forget about them. What about the haricot verts? That's what I would like to know.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-22-2013, 13:58

You're bragging....

max patch
07-22-2013, 14:04
Forget about them. What about the haricot verts? That's what I would like to know.

You must drink with your pinky stuck out. :)

Odd Man Out
07-22-2013, 14:13
Map Man from IA (not to be confused with mapman from VA). Number geeks unite! Besides, I was born in Ames - moved to PA when 3 months old - remember it well.

jeffmeh
07-22-2013, 14:34
Map Man from IA (not to be confused with mapman from VA). Number geeks unite! Besides, I was born in Ames - moved to PA when 3 months old - remember it well.

Heh heh. :)

rocketsocks
07-22-2013, 16:21
hehehe, that's funny 22889

I wanna meet you

Driver8
07-22-2013, 16:59
to me lately WB has become more like WhiteNoise.net :rolleyes:

I wonder if you and I are thinking of the same thing, karl. I was away a lot from here from the holidays last winter to late spring. I checked in during that time but didn't spend near as much time as I had been. When I checked in, and when I started coming back more regularly in June, it seemed like there was a lot more traffic here. A lot more gear and thru-planning threads, just a top of them. Kinda overwhelming. Nice that a lot of people seem to be getting into the outdoors, but a lot to take in - like drinking from a firehose.

Is that what you're talking about?

kayak karl
07-22-2013, 17:16
posts for sake of posting, threads about "IF" you could hike, buy, go, meet. ??? its a rare a post or thread sparks my interest. im surprised there is not a thread "Will the royal families baby grow up to be a hiker":rolleyes:

rocketsocks
07-22-2013, 17:26
posts for sake of posting, threads about "IF" you could hike, buy, go, meet. ??? its a rare a post or thread sparks my interest. im surprised there is not a thread "Will the royal families baby grow up to be a Biker":rolleyes:fix it for ya

coach lou
07-22-2013, 17:32
we are talking about people that walk in the woods, that carry stuff in a sack, and boil water to make their meals, and some of us enjoy each others company while doing it. Some of us live miles and miles apart, but because of an on-line 'club', some of us have found others interesting enough to get together and enjoy this very simple pastime together. I have done this simple pastime now more than ever because of this 'club' that I have found like minded interesting people.

rocketsocks
07-22-2013, 18:03
we are talking about people that walk in the woods, that carry stuff in a sack, and boil water to make their meals, and some of us enjoy each others company while doing it. Some of us live miles and miles apart, but because of an on-line 'club', some of us have found others interesting enough to get together and enjoy this very simple pastime together. I have done this simple pastime now more than ever because of this 'club' that I have found like minded interesting people.

Hangin out #101...perfect!

Cookerhiker
07-22-2013, 18:08
I wonder if you and I are thinking of the same thing, karl. I was away a lot from here from the holidays last winter to late spring. I checked in during that time but didn't spend near as much time as I had been. When I checked in, and when I started coming back more regularly in June, it seemed like there was a lot more traffic here. A lot more gear and thru-planning threads, just a top of them. Kinda overwhelming. Nice that a lot of people seem to be getting into the outdoors, but a lot to take in - like drinking from a firehose.

Is that what you're talking about?

posts for sake of posting, threads about "IF" you could hike, buy, go, meet. ??? its a rare a post or thread sparks my interest. im surprised there is not a thread "Will the royal families baby grow up to be a hiker":rolleyes:

In the 8 years I've been on WB, I've never seen so many threads where prospective thrus posted spreadsheets/lists of their gear and asked for comments.

Driver8
07-22-2013, 18:26
In the 8 years I've been on WB, I've never seen so many threads where prospective thrus posted spreadsheets/lists of their gear and asked for comments.

Yeah, that seemed a bit of a craze a few months back, and hasn't died down altogether.

HikerMom58
07-22-2013, 19:12
How's this thread title for ya, KK?? It's the all time best thread title & the funniest thread ever!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-91981.html

I hope this is the right link....

HikerMom58
07-22-2013, 19:38
I read often and post infrequently. If you stick around this site for very long, you will see threads are very often repetive in theme. I think that's why people who were frequent posters when I first joined have "dropped out". I find gear threads monotonous. The one forum where I most often post is the truhiker forum - I joined this site when I was planning my thru.Back then I found it to be a great source for advice. i was intrigued then and now with the mental aspect of a thru-hike - why a fraction of the ones who start are able to finish.I received great advice here and in person from former thruhikers and try to pay that back a little in that forum.

I do like this site as a source of factual information when planning my section hikes - finding shuttles, trail conditions, etc.I have met several WB members out on the trail or at hiker gatherings. All great people and most (not all) of them rarely post. I find the attitudes of people are generally better in face to face settings than when typing anonymopusly behind a keyboard.

again, this is a great resource and tool for hikers. I participate in several other web sites for other interests I have (fishing,bird hunting, dog training) and have noted that, like here, there are people who use it as a resource and others who particiapte often and use it for social reasons. I type too slow for that.

Yes, I agree with you on that. I can't keep up with the fast typing in the Cafe. I do like this site for social reasons. I know it wouldn't have held my attention for this long if I hadn't connected to a group of people on here. You sound like a cool person, 4shot. Thanks for contributing to this thread and giving back after you finished your own hike. Pleasure "meeting you". See you around! :D

There's definately something to be said about seeing your posts quoted... it makes you feel a part of the site when that happens. It's like you found your place or something... I'd love to hike with or meet you too!!

Ok... you've got our full attention.. do you care to come back??

All of you. I learn something new every day here.

That's cool sbirdnerd... I do too. I learn something new about a certain subject or something new about a person.. I like it! :D

HikerMom58
07-22-2013, 20:51
Guys... one more person just came to my mind after looking at the old thread.... remember Another Kevin? He was a very helpful person on this site. If any of you pray for people- remember him in your prayers. It seems that he just found out that his wife was very sick the last time he posted on here. I feel bad I forgot about him. :( He's a very nice person.

rocketsocks
07-22-2013, 21:01
Guys... one more person just came to my mind after looking at the old thread.... remember Another Kevin? He was a very helpful person on this site. If any of you pray for people- remember him in your prayers. It seems that he just found out that his wife was very sick the last time he posted on here. I feel bad I forgot about him. :( He's a very nice person.
I talked (PM'd) to him the other day, hit em up K, I'm sure he'd like to hear from ya.

Driver8
07-22-2013, 21:58

Very nice guy. Glad you remembered him, KD. Will send him and his wife some prayers and good vibes.

Kookork
07-22-2013, 22:10
Another Kevin was an asset to this website. I wish his wife full recovery.

Deer Hunter
07-22-2013, 22:10
I talked (PM'd) to him the other day, hit em up K, I'm sure he'd like to hear from ya.

I will PM him, too. Thanks for the reminder.

rocketsocks
07-22-2013, 22:33
I will PM him, too. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm sure he'd like to hear from everyone, he's had a lot goin on.

HikerMom58
07-23-2013, 06:36
I'm sure he'd like to hear from everyone, he's had a lot goin on.

Will do RS... good to know he will receive our messages too!! Thanks so much RS!! I'm tellin ya.. I gotta meet you one day. :)

bloodmountainman
07-23-2013, 08:57

I have met a few folks here and hiked with them....no internet "stars" or experts. Just good people who like to have a good time. The know it all's stay on line and render unwanted advice.

Another Kevin
07-23-2013, 09:05

You might want to see the animated movie, 'Sita Sings the Blues!' (Can't resist putting in a plug; I knew Nina Paley slightly when she was still a high-schooler, and an accomplished cartoonist even then.) Google for it, it's on-line legally. It tells the story of the Ramayana from Sita's perspective (casting her as a 1930's blues singer). Of course the monkey-god Hanuman figures prominently in it!

HikerMom58
07-23-2013, 09:21
Ok sooo one "presence" on WB that I have to tell you that I find intriguing AND interesting is the "bad boys".(BB) aka or formally known as trolls. Trolls are old skool.

Deer Hunter and I talked about this...

There's the BB, the BB wannabe's and the BB fans. We know who they are, they know who they are. We leave it at that! We love to hate them, they hate to love. It works!! We want to meet them as well... if not more than anyone else. Intriguing!!!

I used to wish they would all go away... not anymore ... Think about it -if they all they went away, this place would be .....

BORING.

We all love the drama from time to time, we've all talked about this before. Come On... like pedaling fool said... (I think he said it) I don't want "Kumbaya" !! As long as personal attacks aren't a part of it, it's part of what makes this place, WELL...........

Colorful!! :clap Give it up for the BAD BOYS!! (and girls)

HikerMom58
07-23-2013, 09:24
I have met a few folks here and hiked with them....no internet "stars" or experts. Just good people who like to have a good time. The know it all's stay on line and render unwanted advice.

Well hey... thanks for coming back and talking to us!! We like to know how you feel and think. :sun

HikerMom58
07-23-2013, 09:26
You might want to see the animated movie, 'Sita Sings the Blues!' (Can't resist putting in a plug; I knew Nina Paley slightly when she was still a high-schooler, and an accomplished cartoonist even then.) Google for it, it's on-line legally. It tells the story of the Ramayana from Sita's perspective (casting her as a 1930's blues singer). Of course the monkey-god Hanuman figures prominently in it!

SOOO good to see you Another Kevin!! You have been missed!! :D

Another Kevin
07-23-2013, 09:36

Thanks, KD! Prayers are always welcome, and I'm glad I can deceive you into thinking I'm nice. :-? I was wondering why I got a sudden group of PM's from well-wishers!

Things are ok, mostly. My wife is recovering, however slowly. Getting back from quintuple bypass surgery is a long and bumpy road with many indignities and setbacks on the way, and of course she'll always have a weakened heart after all this. But she's soldiering on and feeling a lot better than she did before the surgery. It's been a blessing having our daughter at home for the summer; she's been able to pick up the slack at home enough that I can go out and earn our daily bread. (And the job has been accommodating of my needs; that's been a blessing, too!)

Now that my wife is recovered to the point where she can drive herself to her many medical appointments, get her own lunch, and so on, I might start showing up here a little bit more again. I've mostly been staying away so as not to be tempted to get out and hike when I'm needed at home. Not that the temptation would be too extreme; it's just been too flippin' hot to look like much fun.

And maybe I can manage to get out with the daughter for a clueless weekend sometime before school starts. That's one of the few things that's Dad's time with the kid. My wife is emphatically not a hiker. She was a good enough sport to come out with us for a couple of easy day trips, and does not understand what we see in it. Her position: "You guys are crazy, but if it does something for you, go with my blessing. Just don't bring me along."

Anyway, thanks for the prayers and well wishes, everyone!

Deer Hunter
07-23-2013, 10:11
Will do RS... good to know he will receive our messages too!! Thanks so much RS!! I'm tellin ya.. I gotta meet you one day. :)

Yeah, I guess I wouldn't mind meeting him, too. :)

Deer Hunter
07-23-2013, 10:14
SOOO good to see you Another Kevin!! You have been missed!! :D

+1..............

HikerMom58
07-23-2013, 11:17
Thanks, KD! Prayers are always welcome, and I'm glad I can deceive you into thinking I'm nice. :-? I was wondering why I got a sudden group of PM's from well-wishers!

Things are ok, mostly. My wife is recovering, however slowly. Getting back from quintuple bypass surgery is a long and bumpy road with many indignities and setbacks on the way, and of course she'll always have a weakened heart after all this. But she's soldiering on and feeling a lot better than she did before the surgery. It's been a blessing having our daughter at home for the summer; she's been able to pick up the slack at home enough that I can go out and earn our daily bread. (And the job has been accommodating of my needs; that's been a blessing, too!)

Now that my wife is recovered to the point where she can drive herself to her many medical appointments, get her own lunch, and so on, I might start showing up here a little bit more again. I've mostly been staying away so as not to be tempted to get out and hike when I'm needed at home. Not that the temptation would be too extreme; it's just been too flippin' hot to look like much fun.

And maybe I can manage to get out with the daughter for a clueless weekend sometime before school starts. That's one of the few things that's Dad's time with the kid. My wife is emphatically not a hiker. She was a good enough sport to come out with us for a couple of easy day trips, and does not understand what we see in it. Her position: "You guys are crazy, but if it does something for you, go with my blessing. Just don't bring me along."

Anyway, thanks for the prayers and well wishes, everyone!

Aww... sweet post- Another Kevin!! Thanks for the update!! It's too hot to go outside here in VA too. :eek: I keep thinking about "our Astro" hiking in this heat. He's making it though. :)

We will continue to keep your wife in our prayers. I hope you can do some hiking with your daughter, when the weather is better.
Great to see you here, Another Kevin. See you around!

Harrison Bergeron
07-23-2013, 15:28
Most interesting personality on WB? He who kissed the plaque so that never again would we be tempted -- the infamous Gator Gump.

max patch
07-23-2013, 15:46
Just because I'm going to mention Minnesota Smith as a former WB personality does not mean I want to meet him.

HikerMom58
07-23-2013, 17:58
Most interesting personality on WB? He who kissed the plaque so that never again would we be tempted -- the infamous Gator Gump.

Gator Gump, huh? :) I thought someone sat on the plaque bare butt so that no one would kiss the plaque, again. lol. I don't know who did that... ewww!

Just because I'm going to mention Minnesota Smith as a former WB personality does not mean I want to meet him.

max patch... you've been here a long time. I bet you've seen lots of personalities come and go. Minnesota Smith?? Never heard of that one before. You don't want to meet him and that's :cool:.

I briefly "knew" Kent Lady. (for like a minute) I don't think I would have wanted to meet her either. But then again, I may find her intriguing....I bet she was a lot of FUN!:eek:

You can express yourself on here & feel comfortable doing it. We have personalities that seem larger than life, that's true, we want to hear from EVERYONE! :D

Cookerhiker
07-23-2013, 21:02
...I briefly "knew" Kent Lady. (for like a minute) I don't think I would have wanted to meet her either. But then again, I may find her intriguing....I bet she was a lot of FUN!:eek:...

Wasn't Kent Lady a made up identity that some other WBer created for trolling purposes?

atmilkman
07-23-2013, 21:09
Wasn't Kent Lady a made up identity that some other WBer created for trolling purposes?

Magically appeared in May of 2012 at a time when some people were trashing Kent, CT. A total of 7 posts. Makes one wonder doesn't it.

Alligator
07-23-2013, 21:52
Ok sooo one "presence" on WB that I have to tell you that I find intriguing AND interesting is the "bad boys".(BB) aka or formally known as trolls. Trolls are old skool.

Deer Hunter and I talked about this...

There's the BB, the BB wannabe's and the BB fans. We know who they are, they know who they are. We leave it at that! We love to hate them, they hate to love. It works!! We want to meet them as well... if not more than anyone else. Intriguing!!!

I used to wish they would all go away... not anymore ... Think about it -if they all they went away, this place would be .....

BORING.

We all love the drama from time to time, we've all talked about this before. Come On... like pedaling fool said... (I think he said it) I don't want "Kumbaya" !! As long as personal attacks aren't a part of it, it's part of what makes this place, WELL...........

Colorful!! :clap Give it up for the BAD BOYS!! (and girls)I do not think you really understand how trolls operate. Trolling takes a variety of forms but ultimately the goal is to manipulate you for the troll's personal pleasure. People getting used isn't really a behavior that deserves kudos.

johnnybgood
07-23-2013, 22:28
I find the Alligator located on Channel A in cyberspace most intriguing and for good measure I'd say he's probably quite interesting in person.

HikerMom58
07-23-2013, 22:39
I do not think you really understand how trolls operate. Trolling takes a variety of forms but ultimately the goal is to manipulate you for the troll's personal pleasure. People getting used isn't really a behavior that deserves kudos.

Well, what I'm calling "trolls" renamed "bad boys", are the ones that post on a thread purposely to "stir the pot" or "go after someone". It usually takes the form of a personal attack. Their posts stand out b/c it doesn't address the OP at all. I've prob. been guilty of doing that myself, at times.

Here's the thought process for my post. Even though the "bad boys" are so annoying at times if they went away, we would miss them. All personalities have an "up" side to them. They add some amount of drama sometimes. Thank goodness we are all different or else we would be very bored hanging around each other.

This site allows for the different personalities to come through as much as possible. Trying to maintain some kind of control though must not be easy at times.

OK... I hear you on the varying degrees of "manipulation for personal pleasure"... it's all about them. I get that. That would be a tough call to determine the degree of "personal pleasure" they are receiving and how far you should "let them go".

So what I hear you saying is- the "extreme trolls" ,you speak of, have some kind of full blown personality disorder. You are around to protect us from those individuals?? Correct?? If that's correct... THANKS.

I'm not trying to celebrate those types, believe me.

The only reason I find these individuals intriguing is just personal to me. I wonder how they became who they are.

Thanks for all the work you do in monitoring the site. I'm sure it's not easy at times. We've told you that before and it remains the same!!

HikerMom58
07-23-2013, 22:40
I find the Alligator located on Channel A in cyberspace most intriguing and for good measure I'd say he's probably quite interesting in person.

Beautiful... I agree!! Ha ha!!

tawa
07-23-2013, 22:49
Anyone know of a hiker who goes by the trail name---Barn yard Monkey!?

Alligator
07-23-2013, 23:49
Well, what I'm calling "trolls" renamed "bad boys", are the ones that post on a thread purposely to "stir the pot" or "go after someone". It usually takes the form of a personal attack. Their posts stand out b/c it doesn't address the OP at all. I've prob. been guilty of doing that myself, at times.

Here's the thought process for my post. Even though the "bad boys" are so annoying at times if they went away, we would miss them. All personalities have an "up" side to them. They add some amount of drama sometimes. Thank goodness we are all different or else we would be very bored hanging around each other.

This site allows for the different personalities to come through as much as possible. Trying to maintain some kind of control though must not be easy at times.

OK... I hear you on the varying degrees of "manipulation for personal pleasure"... it's all about them. I get that. That would be a tough call to determine the degree of "personal pleasure" they are receiving and how far you should "let them go".

So what I hear you saying is- the "extreme trolls" ,you speak of, have some kind of full blown personality disorder. You are around to protect us from those individuals?? Correct?? If that's correct... THANKS.

I'm not trying to celebrate those types, believe me.

The only reason I find these individuals intriguing is just personal to me. I wonder how they became who they are.

Thanks for all the work you do in monitoring the site. I'm sure it's not easy at times. We've told you that before and it remains the same!!

The bad boys and girls you appear to be talking about are not trolls, they are just pains in the asses:p.

That being clarified:D, I'm not very much in agreement with your two posts I quoted, mostly because you are encouraging bad behavior because you want drama. It's all fun and games until people get mad, they follow each other around, they hurl insults, they threaten each other, yada yada yada yada yada. So I personally think it's a bad idea to uplift it.

Marta
07-24-2013, 00:28
I agree with Alligator. Drama leads to anger, which leads to departure, either mandated or self-imposed. Not good for the individuals, or the site.

I love a good laugh, though, and greatly value contributors who can provide one.

rocketsocks
07-24-2013, 00:34
I'm guilty of playing with the little trolls....most don't rate though cause they are looking for quick gratification...No Patients to pull it off right.

Driver8
07-24-2013, 02:42
I do not think you really understand how trolls operate. Trolling takes a variety of forms but ultimately the goal is to manipulate you for the troll's personal pleasure. People getting used isn't really a behavior that deserves kudos.

Wholly agreed.

Cookerhiker
07-24-2013, 06:06

Yes, he is. We've met a few times.

HikerMom58
07-24-2013, 06:49
The bad boys and girls you appear to be talking about are not trolls, they are just pains in the asses:p.

That being clarified:D, I'm not very much in agreement with your two posts I quoted, mostly because you are encouraging bad behavior because you want drama. It's all fun and games until people get mad, they follow each other around, they hurl insults, they threaten each other, yada yada yada yada yada. So I personally think it's a bad idea to uplift it.

I understand what you are saying completely. I certainly don't want to make your (and Marta's) job any harder than it is by encouraging bad behavior. I'm not a fan of the pain in the asses either. :D I will say there are some here that are...I find that surprising!! Well sorta!!

I wanted them to go away. BUT- they don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon so might as well look on the "bright side"? :eek: There is no "bright side" is what you are saying. I have to agree with that!!

The type of "drama",they bring, is not worth the pain it brings to others. (and yourselves)

I've felt that pain, myself. It's not cool!

So Bad Boys and Girls (and you know who you are) you just heard it from the TOP!! Get the memo--- You are not COOL nor are you welcome here!! If only it were that easy.... lol!

Thanks Gator and Marta for your input. I really like Cookerhiker -- he thinks you are interesting & I'd love to meet you in person one day.

Tawa... I don't know of a hiker named Barn yard Monkey.

Tri-Pod Bob
07-24-2013, 06:57

God help me!! When I did some personal introspection, I found that I could honestly say that I'm somewhat addicted to the attention, I receive on this site. (I hate the negative attention, it makes me want to go away for good) It's not all bad but it can "go south" really fast, if you're not careful.

I like this HMKD...a lot! I am fairly new to WB & don't consider myself an introvert, I just keep myself fairly "reined in" most of the time. I do have opinions on a lot of issues, but carefully pick & choose the ones that I will respond to, whether from a hiding place like WB (as an unknown entity) orwhile having an 'in the flesh' conversation. I try to live my life by following 2 basic mantras........"KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) & "Do no harm". Can't tell you how often I have to remind myself of the 1st one!! LOL!!!! Look forward to meeting you someday, as well as Lone Wolf, Just Bill, Rocketsocks, Slo-go-en, Sarcasmm the Elf...well, I guess the whole group of regular contribs!!! Thank you all for your wisdom & humor!

rocketsocks
07-24-2013, 07:00
on second thought never mind, didn't have the effect I was goin for.

lets try this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFthCcbvhYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFthCcbvhYM

HikerMom58
07-24-2013, 07:06
I like this HMKD...a lot! I am fairly new to WB & don't consider myself an introvert, I just keep myself fairly "reined in" most of the time. I do have opinions on a lot of issues, but carefully pick & choose the ones that I will respond to, whether from a hiding place like WB (as an unknown entity) orwhile having an 'in the flesh' conversation. I try to live my life by following 2 basic mantras........"KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) & "Do no harm". Can't tell you how often I have to remind myself of the 1st one!! LOL!!!! Look forward to meeting you someday, as well as Lone Wolf, Just Bill, Rocketsocks, Slo-go-en, Sarcasmm the Elf...well, I guess the whole group of regular contribs!!! Thank you all for your wisdom & humor!

That's awesome Tri-Pod Bob. It's great to have you here!! Thanks for sharing with us!! Hope to see you around more. I'm sure you have good things to contribute to this site too.

HikerMom58
07-24-2013, 07:08
on second thought never mind, didn't have the effect I was goin for.

FUNNY RS!! Your avatar makes me laugh too! LOL!!

Alligator
07-24-2013, 11:05
So Bad Boys and Girls (and you know who you are) you just heard it from the TOP!! Get the memo--- You are not COOL nor are you welcome here!! If only it were that easy.... lol!
...You are close to getting my meaning, but this isn't quite what I was saying. I'm not saying that the Bad Boys and Girls are not welcome. People come in all stripes, hike in different ways, and hold different opinions. Having a strongly held position or perhaps being curmudgeonly, antisocial, extroverted, a gear freak, a gram counter, early riser, late nighter, or whatever is making one a PITA those are not disqualifiers here. It's bad behavior that develops into problem behavior, that's what is unwelcome and what I don't think should be extolled. (Now I might actually be in agreement or laughing with you when I have to send an admin PM but that doesn't mean I am going to let you know that;).)

HikerMom58
07-24-2013, 11:59
You are close to getting my meaning, but this isn't quite what I was saying. I'm not saying that the Bad Boys and Girls are not welcome. People come in all stripes, hike in different ways, and hold different opinions. Having a strongly held position or perhaps being curmudgeonly, antisocial, extroverted, a gear freak, a gram counter, early riser, late nighter, or whatever is making one a PITA those are not disqualifiers here. It's bad behavior that develops into problem behavior, that's what is unwelcome and what I don't think should be extolled. (Now I might actually be in agreement or laughing with you when I have to send an admin PM but that doesn't mean I am going to let you know that;).)

Ha Ha!! ;)

I was close but no cigar!:o I think we've come full circle now.. I get it!! :) It takes a few "back and forth" with this type of covo but it eventually works!

Thanks for coming on here and setting me straight. I think this is very helpful for the site & nothing but good can come out of it. Have a good one, Alligator!!

Another Kevin
07-25-2013, 17:11
Maybe I'm an anti-troll. I manipulate people here for my personal enjoyment. When I'm posting, I try to pretend to be a lot nicer than I am so that they'll be nice back at me. (And I do get the occasional chuckle from the Bad Boys and Girls... but try not to join right in.)

HikerMom58
07-26-2013, 08:37
Maybe I'm an anti-troll. I manipulate people here for my personal enjoyment. When I'm posting, I try to pretend to be a lot nicer than I am so that they'll be nice back at me. (And I do get the occasional chuckle from the Bad Boys and Girls... but try not to join right in.)

Ha ha!! Thanks for admitting all these things to us AK... Now you know what I'm going to say... I want to meet you in person, now, so I can determine these things for myself. ;)

Bad boys,Bad girls whatcha gonna do when they come for you.. bad boys, bad boys!! I know what u mean about laughing... sometimes it is kinda funny!! :sun

S'more
07-26-2013, 09:47
I'd like to meet everyone. There are so many different personality's here. :D Hopefully, one of these days, we'll meet.

Jeff
07-26-2013, 11:23

Prospective thruhikers should really be encouraged to attend The Gathering or the Southern Ruck or the Northern Ruck. They woould learn so much more in one short weekend.

capehiker
07-26-2013, 14:00
After almost 10 years on WB and a few years on Wingfoot's old site (I'm not a very prolific poster as you can see), the two people who have always intrigued me are Baltimore Jack and Lone Wolf.

HikerMom58
07-26-2013, 14:21
Interesting capehiker... thanks for sharing that. I've met Lone Wolf in person. The thing that surprised me the most was the tone of his voice. It was very very mellow sounding, in person. He is just different in person than on this site.. at least he was that way the day I met him. ( LW don't you just love to be talked about..LOL)

Baltimore Jack is my friend on FB. I've "talked" with him via FB message etc.. He is on this site, as well, although he doesn't post all that much. He's very opinionated. But, I like his ability to "talk" things out. In the end, he sticks to his orginal thinking but he's a fun person to have a "conversation" with....he's very nice. Both of them have a sense of humor too. VERY INTERESTING!! We call them and others -"characters" of the AT. Warren Doyle is another one of the "characters".

RED-DOG
07-26-2013, 14:59
I would like to meet HikerMomKD, and hikerboy57. but thats about it.

HikerMom58
07-27-2013, 09:58

Thanks RED-DOG. I'd like to meet you as well. :)

Just Bill
07-27-2013, 10:19
If I change my name to HikerJustBill would you like to meet me, or was that just a co-winky-dink?

HikerMom58
07-27-2013, 11:09
If I change my name to HikerJustBill would you like to meet me, or was that just a co-winky-dink?

That's cute JB!!

I thought about changing my username to match up better with hikerboy57... LOL!! Mine could be- hikergirl58. I assuming that hikerboy was born in 57??? Maybe??? Anyway, too funny!!

JB.. I'm glad you're on this site. I like your cyber hiking style. It's cool. You have the ability to have a certain hiking preference but I like the way you present it on here. I didn't want to hijack the thread, where you posted the 2 different backpacks on Elmer's porch, to let you know, I thought that was a good post. It got your point across with out the usual know-it all/in your face/I'm such a awesome hiker vibe to it. Kudo's to you JB!!! I like your cyber hiker personality.

I'm also taking notes on how you respond to blunt criticism. It takes skilz.. I want to learn how to do it better. :)

hikerboy57
07-27-2013, 11:23
i think justhikerbill rolls off the tongue a bit better

Just Bill
07-27-2013, 12:07
HMKD- the key is not to have a hiking preference, but to choose the best style to fit your goal. If you have a very specific goal, there may be a very specific answer, otherwise probably not. This is a thru-hiking site, but there are tons of ways to enjoy the outdoors. I spend 90% of my time car camping, family camping, canoeing and day-hiking. I spend 90% of my backpacking time taking it easy. When I go fast, well the only style that makes sense is ultralight. When I take my kid for a dayhike, the only pack that makes sense is a kidcarrier. If you know a bit about everyone's style not hard to get along with them, no need to be in your face if you've walked a bit in everyone's shoes. On the trail we're all just backpackers, shouldn't be any different here. Anyone who backpacks is awesome in my book. If nothing else I always remember a quote from my friend Ol' Man Willy, "The most important thing about lightweight backpacking is to cut ten pounds from your load. Reducing your gear weight is critical as it's roughly the weight of a twelve pack of beer, making the addition of said item easy to accomplish."

Rain Man
07-27-2013, 13:44
I'm also taking notes on how you respond to blunt criticism. It takes skilz.. I want to learn how to do it better. :)

The truly skilled, Grasshopper, do not respond. ;)

Rain:sunMan

HikerMom58
07-27-2013, 18:39
HMKD- the key is not to have a hiking preference, but to choose the best style to fit your goal. If you have a very specific goal, there may be a very specific answer, otherwise probably not. This is a thru-hiking site, but there are tons of ways to enjoy the outdoors. I spend 90% of my time car camping, family camping, canoeing and day-hiking. I spend 90% of my backpacking time taking it easy. When I go fast, well the only style that makes sense is ultralight. When I take my kid for a dayhike, the only pack that makes sense is a kidcarrier. If you know a bit about everyone's style not hard to get along with them, no need to be in your face if you've walked a bit in everyone's shoes. On the trail we're all just backpackers, shouldn't be any different here. Anyone who backpacks is awesome in my book. If nothing else I always remember a quote from my friend Ol' Man Willy, "The most important thing about lightweight backpacking is to cut ten pounds from your load. Reducing your gear weight is critical as it's roughly the weight of a twelve pack of beer, making the addition of said item easy to accomplish."

Everything you say makes sense to me. And of course, what I put in bold is what comes through in your posts. That's what I like about you. :)

i think justhikerbill rolls off the tongue a bit better

:D... I knew you'd come up with something!

Ha Ha Rain Man. I'll try to bite my fingers till they bleed, so I can't respond then... I like your advice. This grasshopper is taking notes.:sun

I'm looking forward to meeting another WB member tomorrow afternoon. Astro will be in the house tomorrow night.. can't wait!!

I want everyone to know that they are GREATLY APPRECIATED on here. It's a lot of fun interacting with all of you. Don't be fooled by my semi-high post count. It's not that I'm so knowledgeable or a pro at this backpacking thing. (not at all) I'm just one of those chatty extroverts. ;) That's it!!!

rocketsocks
07-27-2013, 21:28
I want everyone to know that they are GREATLY APPRECIATED on here. It's a lot of fun interacting with all of you. Don't be fooled by my semi-high post count. It's not that I'm so knowledgeable or a pro at this backpacking thing. (not at all) I'm just one of those chatty extroverts. ;) That's it!!!

"It's just talkin"

one of my favorite quotes by you :)

Another Kevin
07-27-2013, 21:55
This is a thru-hiking site, but there are tons of ways to enjoy the outdoors. I spend 90% of my time car camping, family camping, canoeing and day-hiking. I spend 90% of my backpacking time taking it easy.

This is a thru-hiking site? Since when? I thought this was (primarily) an Appalachian Trail hiking site. There are lots of people on the A-T who section-hike, weekend backpack, or day-hike, and the A-T even visits some car-accessible sites. I hang out here, and I'm one of those clueless weekenders that the high-and-mighty thru-hikers love to look down their noses at. Fortunately, most of the thru-hikers that I encounter aren't all that high-and-mighty, and some tell me that I'm a thru-hiker in training and don't know it yet. (Not likely in this lifetime! I don't ever see having few enough responsibilities to take six months away from them.)

OzJacko
07-27-2013, 22:08
I have been very fortunate that in my time here I have met Lone Wolf Hikerboy Baltimore Jack Hikermom ATMilkman Warren Doyle Deer Hunter and a largish number of others on WB.
They have all been wonderful characters and well worth meeting.
The top of my list for others I would like to meet are Alligator and WOO. although not together perhaps.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-27-2013, 22:11
OzJacko.....I don't know if you're still hiking with Army Ant, but if you are, please tell him I was looking for you guys (and Roo) at Greylock on the day he was there. I took a chance on his distance and got it just right...but about an hour or two too late. I'll get those bags to you guys yet!

Teacher & Snacktime
07-27-2013, 22:13

You are wise, Master Po.

OzJacko
07-27-2013, 22:16
OzJacko.....I don't know if you're still hiking with Army Ant, but if you are, please tell him I was looking for you guys (and Roo) at Greylock on the day he was there. I took a chance on his distance and got it just right...but about an hour or two too late. I'll get those bags to you guys yet!

Army is off trail for a few days (medical issue).
Should be joining us somewhere by Hanover if able to.
We are in Manchester Centre.
May zer tomorrow due to weather (hey! I'm on a holiday after all!!)

Wise Old Owl
07-27-2013, 22:47
my vote took a little time... had to think...about...it! I really miss a few people that have not visited or PMed in a long time... Frolicking Dinosaurs (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?6083-Frolicking-Dinosaurs)jerseydave (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?29929-jerseydave)Owlet (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?41875-Owlet) a younger member...

Another Kevin
07-27-2013, 23:00

Shout for help if it gets too bad. Because just about everyone here loves you. Nobody messes with our mom!

Another Kevin
07-27-2013, 23:09
Army is off trail for a few days (medical issue).
Should be joining us somewhere by Hanover if able to.
We are in Manchester Centre.
May zer tomorrow due to weather (hey! I'm on a holiday after all!!)

At least Machester Center has nice shops. Get a cake from Mother Myrick's and a good book from Northshire.

Wise Old Owl
07-27-2013, 23:18
I have been very fortunate that in my time here I have met Lone Wolf Hikerboy Baltimore Jack Hikermom ATMilkman Warren Doyle Deer Hunter and a largish number of others on WB.
They have all been wonderful characters and well worth meeting.
The top of my list for others I would like to meet are Alligator and WOO. although not together perhaps.
ridiculous! given the opportunity I have appreciated Alli's guidance, there is no harm done, We agree to disagree at times,,, I would think a bump with Ali would clear the air.

Oz This has been a difficult year as the kids boomeranged and moved into the basement two weeks ago.. it was beyond awkward, and bad timing... I had hopes of driving north to see you at some point.

coach lou
07-28-2013, 09:30
ridiculous! given the opportunity I have appreciated Alli's guidance, there is no harm done, We agree to disagree at times,,, I would think a bump with Ali would clear the air.

Oz This has been a difficult year as the kids boomeranged and moved into the basement two weeks ago.. it was beyond awkward, and bad timing... I had hopes of driving north to see you at some point.

I've seen many National Geos with pics of feathers in Alligator maws!:D

Wise Old Owl
07-28-2013, 09:45
Couch - you so funny!
http://phillanoue.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/alligator-walking.jpg?w=1024&h=730

coach lou
07-28-2013, 09:50
Gators and Crocs do not discriminate....Zebras, Wilderbeasts, Dutch, Eyetalians, or Aussies!:D

OzJacko
07-28-2013, 09:55
Gators and Crocs do not discriminate....Zebras, Wilderbeasts, Dutch, Eyetalians, or Aussies!:D

Dont like crocs - alive or molded plastic.
Become quite comfortable with at least one alligator.

Drybones
07-28-2013, 11:46
Couch - you so funny!
http://phillanoue.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/alligator-walking.jpg?w=1024&h=730

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww......isn't he cute!

Driver8
07-28-2013, 13:40
Couch - you so funny!

What a great pic!

hobbs
07-28-2013, 14:38
my vote took a little time... had to think...about...it! I really miss a few people that have not visited or PMed in a long time... Frolicking Dinosaurs (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?6083-Frolicking-Dinosaurs)

jerseydave (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?29929-jerseydave)

Owlet (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?41875-Owlet) a younger member...

I have hiked with jerseydave before my thruhike..Good guy.Iam on FB with him. I think he is probably a section hiker by know..I'd like tp meet Dogwood.He has alot of understand about the longtrails I like his posts..

SawnieRobertson
07-28-2013, 15:12
At least 3/4 of the cyberhikers mentioned, I have met. The hikers whom I have not liked, strangely enough, you don't find on WhiteBlaze.net. Besides the trail or when I was shuttling, the occasions for meeting the folks whose names have been mentioned have been at the ALDHA Gatherings and the Southern Ruck. To me, whenever I have missed either, it has been a criminal shame. One of the top meetings for me was meeting Kirby ('memba him?) at a trailhead and later at a Gathering. After years of teaching writing (and, therefore, reading the writing of others). I feel as though I am looking directly into the writer's very soul when I read their thoughts. Perhaps many of you feel the same. Anyway, that is one reason why I truly enjoy those encounters. OTOH, some meetings simply confirm the worst suspicions. I'll say no more. (Rain Man has pointed out the wisdom of such restraint--giggling.)~Sawnie@AT

Astro
07-28-2013, 21:32
Well I can't say Hiker Mom or Deer Hunter since I was lucky enough to meet them today. Hiker Boy, Oz Jacko, Train Wreck, AT Milkman, and Coach Lou are still at the top of my list. But the top spot has to go to Mountain Mike. He has lived such an interesting life and to listen to his stories would be awesome!

Cookerhiker
07-28-2013, 21:39
This is a thru-hiking site? Since when? I thought this was (primarily) an Appalachian Trail hiking site. There are lots of people on the A-T who section-hike, weekend backpack, or day-hike, and the A-T even visits some car-accessible sites. I hang out here, and I'm one of those clueless weekenders that the high-and-mighty thru-hikers love to look down their noses at. Fortunately, most of the thru-hikers that I encounter aren't all that high-and-mighty, and some tell me that I'm a thru-hiker in training and don't know it yet. (Not likely in this lifetime! I don't ever see having few enough responsibilities to take six months away from them.)

Right On!:clap:clap

Deer Hunter
07-28-2013, 22:45
Well I can't say Hiker Mom or Deer Hunter since I was lucky enough to meet them today. Hiker Boy, Oz Jacko, Train Wreck, AT Milkman, and Coach Lou are still at the top of my list. But the top spot has to go to Mountain Mike. He has lived such an interesting life and to listen to his stories would be awesome!

I have met Oz (Great guy by the way) but I would like to meet the other ones you listed. Mountain Mike has some stories, I'm sure. I can't forget about Rocket Socks, though. He was the first person to send me a friend request and he is hilarious. A few more in the cafe, too. Hopefully I will get to meet Teacher & Snacktime this fall.

coach lou
07-28-2013, 22:47
I have met Oz (Great guy by the way) but I would like to meet the other ones you listed. Mountain Mike has some stories, I'm sure. I can't forget about Rocket Socks, though. He was the first person to send me a friend request and he is hilarious. A few more in the cafe, too. Hopefully I will get to meet Teacher & Snacktime this fall.

I can vouch for 'Socks....he's twice the guy in person........and we may meet up with Teacher and Snacktime this weekend.

Deer Hunter
07-28-2013, 22:54
I can vouch for 'Socks....he's twice the guy in person........and we may meet up with Teacher and Snacktime this weekend.

I hope so coach. Sounds like you have a great weekend coming, meeting up with the silly walkers and all.

Fur Queue
07-29-2013, 01:51
Has Circle Jerk been around much?

HikerMom58
07-29-2013, 06:30
Shout for help if it gets too bad. Because just about everyone here loves you. Nobody messes with our mom!

Thanks AK....all the love feels good too. Right back at ya'll. I got lots of brothers & sisters that have my back. :)

HikerMom58
07-29-2013, 06:48

I almost met Mountain Mike. He had a change of plans so I didn't get to meet him. We all agreed MM is on the top of our list of ones to meet.

Astro.. It's been pure joy meeting you. I loved hearing about your trip in person. You are fun to listen too!! Love how laid back you are & your warm spirit. We will keep your dad and family in our prayers.

As we enjoyed a meal at the HOMEPLACE,(yum) we were so thankful for the chance to have made these friendships. THANK YOU WHITEBLAZE!!!

I also am looking forward to meeting Teacher&Snacktime. I want to meet rocketsocks!!

Again, I would LOVE to meet all of you on here. Just b/c you aren't a member that posts as much as others doesn't mean you aren't just as AWESOME!!

Deer Hunter
07-29-2013, 09:03
I almost met Mountain Mike. He had a change of plans so I didn't get to meet him. We all agreed MM is on the top of our list of ones to meet.

Astro.. It's been pure joy meeting you. I loved hearing about your trip in person. You are fun to listen too!! Love how laid back you are & your warm spirit. We will keep your dad and family in our prayers.

As we enjoyed a meal at the HOMEPLACE,(yum) we were so thankful for the chance to have made these friendships. THANK YOU WHITEBLAZE!!!

I also am looking forward to meeting Teacher&Snacktime. I want to meet rocketsocks!!

Again, I would LOVE to meet all of you on here. Just b/c you aren't a member that posts as much as others doesn't mean you aren't just as AWESOME!!

I agree. I met a couple of fellow Whiteblazers in the last week or so that fall into this category. Waasj and JEBjr. There are some great people on Whiteblaze that you don't hear a lot out of.

HikerMom58
07-29-2013, 09:19
I agree. I met a couple of fellow Whiteblazers in the last week or so that fall into this category. Waasj and JEBjr. There are some great people on Whiteblaze that you don't hear a lot out of.

Yep!! :0) Thanks for sharing that pic of JEBjr. with his dog. I saw it. :0) I talked to Waasj on the phone...:)

rocketsocks
07-29-2013, 09:22

Again, I would LOVE to meet all of you on here. Just b/c you aren't a member that posts as much as others doesn't mean you aren't just as AWESOME!!Yep, Mountain Mike is the real deal...the guys been everywhere, with pictures and stories to tell.

"Mama say's he's Bonafide"

Astro
07-29-2013, 10:17
Yes Rocket Socks is definitely at the top of the list too.

Astro
07-29-2013, 10:22

HM, thanks for the kind words and all you did to help me out! It great meeting you and DH!

Deer Hunter
07-29-2013, 12:54

I posted a picture of us in my gallery in case you two want to check it out.

Deer Hunter
07-29-2013, 12:58
Yep!! :0) Thanks for sharing that pic of JEBjr. with his dog. I saw it. :0) I talked to Waasj on the phone...:)

23012 I forgot to get a pic of Waasj. I will make sure I get one the next time he comes back.

Drybones
07-29-2013, 15:08
My most intreguing hiker has never posted on WB as far as I know, his name is Les, made about everything he hiked with, tent, knife, pack, bag, etc...really sharp guy, blacksmith by trade, really enjoyed hiking with him. He's the one on the right that looks like he's sleeping.