PDA

View Full Version : Horse on the Trail

BabySue
07-18-2013, 22:06
About a month ago I spent a Friday night at Little Laurel Shelter between Allen Gap and Jerry Cabin. At about 5 AM Saturday a horse and rider arrived at the shelter from the southwest, paused, turned around and left. An hour later, as I walked SOBO, I was following horse tracks from the shelter to Log Cabin Dr., about a mile and a half shy of Allen Gap. At that point, a country road heads off toward a rural residential area. Kinda odd, don't ya think?

moldy
07-18-2013, 22:12
People on horseback ignore the rules all the time, they are not as bad as the 4 wheelers.

Slo-go'en
07-18-2013, 23:50
It happens. I scolded a couple on the AT in PA who were on horse back. "We came up a side trail and didn't see any signs" was thier excuse. Yeah right - they looked a lot like locals to me.

Dogwood
07-19-2013, 00:31
I'll take a horse over a motorized vehicle any day! In some areas on some trails those trails wouldn't exist or be what they are without equestrian help. Dosen't excuse their actions though.

Rain Man
07-19-2013, 09:42
When I hiked through there a few years ago now, and got to the road at Allen Gap (I think it was), there were local kids about to take their mountain bikes right up the AT where I had come from, from a local yard/field. I was too far away to converse with them. By short-cutting, they were avoiding any traihead warning signs.

Rain Man

hikernutcasey
07-19-2013, 14:45
I was through there on 6/23 and someone had written in the log at Jerry Cabin that the night before a horse with no rider had come through. Then the next day someone came through looking for it. Never saw the horse or anyone looking for it.