PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Big Creek Ranger Station NC

Katie Murchison Ross
07-19-2013, 00:02
I'm planning on doing a section hike in the smokies. Would it be safe(ish) to leave my car at Big Creek Ranger station for a whole week?

Siestita
07-19-2013, 00:11
Big Creek should be a safe place to leave a vehicle. Several years ago I successfully left my car up the road from the Ranger Station, at the trail head closer to the campground, for five days.

Stir Fry
07-19-2013, 08:28
I have parked there 4 times, while I hiked back from Newfound Gap. Never a problem.

Ox97GaMe
07-19-2013, 08:42
Parking at the ranger station is not a problem. I would deter you from parking at the campground in the summer. The rangers may not give you a ticket, but it is at their discretion if you are there multiple days.

Praha4
07-19-2013, 10:23
is the Big Creek Trail open? I thought there was something posted at the GSMNP website saying that trail was closed due to blowdowns.....

The Solemates
07-19-2013, 10:50
have parked at big creek dozens of times with no problems. as praha says though, it may be currently closed. i was a couple months ago

max patch
07-19-2013, 10:59
From website:

Bear Closures
• Backcountry Campsite 47

Other Backcountry Closures
• Chimney Tops Trail will be closed on Monday through Thursday each week from July 8-October 17 for trail rehabilitation work. The trail will be open weekly on Friday-Sunday.
• Big Creek Trail is closed from Walnut Bottoms to Mouse Creek Falls
• Scott Mountain Trail from campsite #6 to Schoolhouse Gap. Campsite #6 is open.
• Backcountry Campsite 11

HooKooDooKu
07-19-2013, 11:41
You likely will have no problems parking at the dedicated parking lot at the trail head at the back end of Deep Creek.

Generally speaking, parking at GSMNP trail-heads is relatively safe. Some break-ins do occur, but it seems to be rare. The only "problem" parking I've ever heard of is the trail-head to Maddron Bald (but it's located outside the park, in a populated area, just off a main road... so someone driving buy wouldn't raise any suspicion, and they are right at a main road for a quick getaway).

Don't get me wrong, I do hear of break-ins occurring in the GSMNP. As such, you must make sure there is nothing visible left in your car to give any thief a reason to try a smash-n-grab. But in my 20 years of averaging multiple trips a year to GSMNP, I've never had my car broken into, nor have I seen a smashed window.

rmitchell
07-19-2013, 19:45
That former ranger station used to be the headquarters for the SWEAT crew (summer trail crew). Cars were routinly left there for a week at a time with no issues.

Dogwood
07-19-2013, 20:17
Shouldn't be a problem. Ranger Station is right next to the graveled parking lot. Let the NP Rangers know your agenda.

HooKooDooKu
07-19-2013, 22:17
Shouldn't be a problem. Ranger Station is right next to the graveled parking lot. Let the NP Rangers know your agenda.
Pretty much a requirement since camping in the Smokies has always required a permit (but now you have obtain and pay for a permit ahead of time online now: https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/)

TNhiker
07-20-2013, 02:56
You likely will have no problems parking at the dedicated parking lot at the trail head at the back end of Deep Creek.

Generally speaking, parking at GSMNP trail-heads is relatively safe. Some break-ins do occur, but it seems to be rare. The only "problem" parking I've ever heard of is the trail-head to Maddron Bald (but it's located outside the park, in a populated area, just off a main road... so someone driving buy wouldn't raise any suspicion, and they are right at a main road for a quick getaway).

Don't get me wrong, I do hear of break-ins occurring in the GSMNP. As such, you must make sure there is nothing visible left in your car to give any thief a reason to try a smash-n-grab. But in my 20 years of averaging multiple trips a year to GSMNP, I've never had my car broken into, nor have I seen a smashed window.

the trailhead at maddron bald got better, as the person who was doing a majority of the break ins (who also happened to live on that road going in) went to prison.....

i wouldnt park at davenport gap though.........that one gets break ins....

also, the parking lot at big creek may still have a camera there...........there was one a couple of years ago overseeing the hiking parking lot.....not sure how effective it is, and its just a motion camera not a live feed, but i've never had any problems there....

and likewise----15 years of parking in and around the park and not a break in....

MuddyWaters
07-20-2013, 13:04
Parked there last yr with no issue, even in sept. after the rangers were gone.

Somewhere around Labor day, I believe they quit maintaining a presence there. If thats important to you, check on it.

No Directions
08-09-2013, 20:00
I drove there earlier this week to scope it out as I have a trip through GSMNP for later this month. There were 4 cars parked there and 2 at the residence. The parking lot is somewhat visible from the residence so to me it looked as safe as any other parking I have used. I plan to leave a card on the dash with my permit number on it. Rangers will know who I am and access to my itinerary is but no one else will.

Sunshine82
08-09-2013, 22:15
Absolutely safe.we went thru the Smokies last week and parked there for six days with no problems.I hear its not very safe at Davenport Gap so the ranger station is a better choice I think.have a great hike

sliderule
08-09-2013, 23:21
Absolutely safe.we went thru the Smokies last week and parked there for six days with no problems.

Relatively safe, maybe.

Absolutely safe? Not a chance.

Sly
08-10-2013, 00:12

Your advice may be the same but he asked about Big Creek, not Deep Creek.