PDA

View Full Version : WYOW - A Poll, by Omaha_Ace

Omaha_Ace
07-19-2013, 13:13
Life, Death, Taxes.......Poop.

On trail, it's the one thing we all have in common...or is it? When the duty arises, what do you use to clear the runway? To, in essence, Wipe Your Own Wipe? (And you thought this was going to be a Walk Your Own Walk thread...)

[*=1]A roll of standard TP you brought from home
[*=1]Backpackers TP
[*=1]Baby Wipes
[*=1]Those lemon fresh 'moist towelettes' from seafood or BBQ joints
[*=1]Paper towels
[*=1]Handkerchief / Bandanna
[*=1]The Cover of Rolling Stone
[*=1]Leaves
[*=1]Crumpled up $1 bills leftover from the strip club in the last town
[*=1]Raccoon
[*=1]Wipe? What's that supposed to mean?
[*=1]Other

rocketsocks
07-19-2013, 13:26
I take a page from our fine furry friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFvkr6GBWLw

rocketsocks
07-19-2013, 13:27
I've also employed the drip dry method, when there's time...:cool:

Omaha_Ace
07-19-2013, 13:33
I've also employed the drip dry method, when there's time...:cool:

WHAT are you eating (under there)??? LOL!!!

WeShallSee
07-19-2013, 13:39
So Omaha_Ace, there actually another person from Nebraska. I thought I was the only one. Good to know I am not alone.

Omaha_Ace
07-19-2013, 13:42
So Omaha_Ace, there actually another person from Nebraska. I thought I was the only one. Good to know I am not alone.
Yup. I think there are a few others as well. I like coming here to fantasize about places that have, well, you know, places to backpack that don't require 10 hours of driving to get to.

FarmerChef
07-19-2013, 14:03
We bring the TP from home after yanking out the cardboard core. I'm hiking with 3 ladies. They're, um, requirements are greater than mine. When that runs out, I switch to cockleburrs. They really clean out the nooks and crannies. Just be sure to get 'em back out after you're done. There's no amount of Body Glide that will help with that.

Rasty
07-19-2013, 14:04
You forgot the choice of hold it until town for those that swing that way.

Drybones
07-19-2013, 14:04
I take a page from our fine furry friends

LOL...is that called brown blazing?

Drybones
07-19-2013, 14:06
Okay...tell the truth...how many use the TP you stole from the restraunt?

treesloth
07-19-2013, 14:13
You forgot the choice of hold it until town for those that swing that way.

I met a dude (who was supposedly well-known to this board) that did exactly that. HOW, I have no idea. I sure couldn't. I guess that's how he got his trail name.

Drybones
07-19-2013, 14:21
I met a dude (who was supposedly well-known to this board) that did exactly that. HOW, I have no idea. I sure couldn't. I guess that's how he got his trail name.

Okay, now we have to guess his trail name......Brownpants, Blowout, Noonewalksbehind, PepeLepue, Browneyes......

Rasty
07-19-2013, 14:25

Okay, now we have to guess his trail name......Brownpants, Blowout, Noonewalksbehind, PepeLepue, Browneyes......

Couric......

hikernutcasey
07-19-2013, 14:39
I use the biodegradable wipes that Coleman makes and are sold at Wally world. Usually take how ever many I think I will need out and put them in a zip lock bag because the whole pack is HEAVY!

I wasn't sure what to vote for. I guess they would fall into backpacker TP or wet wipes. Not sure.

treesloth
07-19-2013, 15:29
Couric......

So very close.

J/K. Not even in the ball park. ;-)

Kerosene
07-19-2013, 17:03
I use the biodegradable wipes that Coleman makes and are sold at Wally world. Usually take how ever many I think I will need out and put them in a zip lock bag because the whole pack is HEAVY!Consider leaving them out to dry out, and then rehydrating with a bit of water when you want to use them. That way you're not lugging the liquid weight.

Omaha_Ace
07-19-2013, 17:23
Consider leaving them out to dry out, and then rehydrating with a bit of water when you want to use them. That way you're not lugging the liquid weight.

Great - a new use for my dehydrator.

MuddyWaters
07-19-2013, 23:57
wet wipes are probably best for cleanup, but they arent nearly as biodegradable as tp and cant be put into mouldering privys.

I just bring an ounce or two of TP in a ziplock.
Start off with a stick or two or rocks
finish with a very small amt of TP

I prefer crapping in a cathole, the natural squat position leaves the exit area so much cleaner than sitting on a privy that it isnt funny. cleanup is far simpler. One square of tp is all thats needed for a final wipe.

Drybones
07-20-2013, 09:06
I was hiking in the Rockies and the high altitude was taking a toll on the system, an air bubble at low elevation becomes a basketball up high, resulted in a high use of TP and I was running low. Dont know what these plants are but it was the best natural TP I've used, soft, strong, cool to the touch...much better than poison ivy.

Drybones
07-20-2013, 09:09
wet wipes are probably best for cleanup, but they arent nearly as biodegradable as tp and cant be put into mouldering privys.

I just bring an ounce or two of TP in a ziplock.
Start off with a stick or two or rocks
finish with a very small amt of TP

I prefer crapping in a cathole, the natural squat position leaves the exit area so much cleaner than sitting on a privy that it isnt funny. cleanup is far simpler. One square of tp is all thats needed for a final wipe.

I hear pine cones work well.

Nooga
07-20-2013, 09:10
As previously posted: Wet toilet paper is not up to the task.......any task.......

daddytwosticks
07-20-2013, 12:36
Where are corn cobbs on the list? Natural, biodegradable, and can be eaten if necessary! :)

Drybones
07-20-2013, 13:11
Where are corn cobbs on the list? Natural, biodegradable, and can be eaten if necessary! :)

My dad used to tell thier out house had two corn cobs, one brown and one white, one to wipe with and one to check. Fortunately by the time I came along things had modernized and we had the 2" thick Sears catalog....you could wish and wipe at the same time.

MuddyWaters
07-20-2013, 13:11
I hear pine cones work well.

They do, and Im not talking about just the soft fuzzy ones.

Im not a snob, Ill grab whatever is in reach. Rocks dont have to be smooth and round either. All you are doing is scraping away 95% of the residue first so you can save your TP in case you REALLY need it sometime. I can manage a couple weeks on 2 ounces of TP.

Kookork
07-20-2013, 14:02
Not the best thread to read while having a meal . :banana

rocketsocks
07-20-2013, 16:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnsgrXC2fAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnsgrXC2fAU

Silent Stroll
07-20-2013, 23:58

If I could squeeze my cheeks that long. When I got to town I would be dropping some DRYBONES in the toilet.

HikerMom58
07-21-2013, 08:29
If I could squeeze my cheeks that long. When I got to town I would be dropping some DRYBONES in the toilet.

Ha ha!! That's pretty good. Drybones should especially love it!! :D

Tri-Pod Bob
07-21-2013, 09:00
I was hiking in the Rockies and the high altitude was taking a toll on the system, an air bubble at low elevation becomes a basketball up high, resulted in a high use of TP and I was running low. Dont know what these plants are but it was the best natural TP I've used, soft, strong, cool to the touch...much better than poison ivy.

Mullein plant......the best natural TP & also has excellent medicinal properties

RCBear
07-21-2013, 13:58
There's a reason I carry a 65 liter. The charmin 8 pack takes up volume. So does the value size folgers canister.

Wonder if I got rid of the latter, I could scale back the former?

Dogwood
07-21-2013, 14:19
This thread is a blunt realization I'm spending way too much time on WB. It's even posted in the General forum not in the Hiking Humor forum.

Omaha_Ace
07-21-2013, 14:47
This is NO laughing matter... ;)

Drybones
07-21-2013, 14:49
This is NO laughing matter... ;)

In the winter, I'd rathet run out of food than TP, summer's no so bad.

Dogwood
07-21-2013, 17:04
Alllright. It's raining AGAIN. I cant work in the garden so I''l chime in. - cat hole dug well off trail off with a stick, rock, the tip of my shoe, etc and finishing with smooth downed sticks, preferably smooth rounded rocks(unless you're a sadomasochist), and leaves. Yes leaves in the Verbascum genus(Mullein) are often softly furry(absorbent), strong, and thick. A handful of ferns(taken where there's an abundance are really good), wild Hydrangea, Viburnum, leaves in the sunflower genus, and some mosses work well too. Barks from newly downed trees can work as well. I've learned quite a bit about plants and specifically leaves exploring this topic. I've NEVER carried AND USED TP in the wilderness on a hike. Come back 2 - 3 months later and the evidence of TP is still visible! It's one of the obviously disgusting things I notice on a hike especially on the busy east coast trails like the AT despite there being privies on the AT. Top of Mt Whitney comes in second as most gross. Third would be Half Dome. Don't turn over any seemingly misplaced rocks on top of these summits or you might get a smelly eyesore of a surprise.

MY turn. Why does human or domesticated dog scat smell worse than wildlife scat? I'm waiting.

max patch
07-21-2013, 17:09
MY turn. Why does human or domesticated dog scat smell worse than wildlife scat? I'm waiting.

I'd guess diet. Garbage in, garbage out.

max patch
07-21-2013, 17:13
MY turn. Why does the National Battlefield Park close to home have signs requiring and providing free bags for dog owners to pick up their dogs crap BUT horses are allowed to crap all over the trails? Makes no sense to me.

Dogwood
07-21-2013, 17:33
Do horses regularly visit the same place at the Nat Battlefield Park? Maybe the Nat Battlefield Park wants to keep it historically accurate - underfoot. Horses were in many battles while I'm yet to hear of or see a dog in a battle or on a battlefield. Those would be soome larghe heavy bags equatrians would have if they had to clean up after their horses.

My turn. Would you say human and domesticated dog crap smell worse than horse crap?

Cyngbaeld
07-21-2013, 18:06
Water. I use a lab wash bottle with a couple of ounces. Usually doesn't take all of it. Then dry with a rag that is kept clipped to the backpack. No TP, no leaves, no rocks and definitely no pinecones!

Tri-Pod Bob
07-21-2013, 18:08
It is all about diet!! As a veggie gardener, I've used well aged horse manure as a fertilizer many times. But, you will never find me putting human or domesticated dog poop in my garden plot. We, as humans eat too many processed foods that contain additives for preservation and/or better eye appeal. Same goes for many dog foods. I am aware of a composting method which utilizes human waste, but that stuff will NEVER see my food supply!! Plus, our digestive system processes our daily intake in a very different way than horses...or cows for that matter. Horses & cows (those not pumped full of growth hormones/antibiotics anyway) eat grains & grasses which decompose to a natural, earth friendly state...... IMHO, I'll take the stink of horse crap & cow crap over human crap & dog crap any day of the week!

Edro
07-21-2013, 18:13
+1 drybones:eek:

Another Kevin
07-27-2013, 23:56
Am I the only one who uses a snowball in the winter? (A snow scrub of that region is effective - and surprisingly refreshing.)

T.S.Kobzol
07-28-2013, 07:07
Lol

I love a reference to the one and only international unit of measure for mr.hankey.

Couric......

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

T.S.Kobzol
07-28-2013, 07:21
The tip of your shoe?

B-)

Alllright. It's raining AGAIN. I cant work in the garden so I''l chime in. - cat hole dug well off trail off with a stick, rock, the tip of my shoe, etc and finishing with smooth downed sticks, preferably smooth rounded rocks(unless you're a sadomasochist), and leaves. Yes leaves in the Verbascum genus(Mullein) are often softly furry(absorbent), strong, and thick. A handful of ferns(taken where there's an abundance are really good), wild Hydrangea, Viburnum, leaves in the sunflower genus, and some mosses work well too. Barks from newly downed trees can work as well. I've learned quite a bit about plants and specifically leaves exploring this topic. I've NEVER carried AND USED TP in the wilderness on a hike. Come back 2 - 3 months later and the evidence of TP is still visible! It's one of the obviously disgusting things I notice on a hike especially on the busy east coast trails like the AT despite there being privies on the AT. Top of Mt Whitney comes in second as most gross. Third would be Half Dome. Don't turn over any seemingly misplaced rocks on top of these summits or you might get a smelly eyesore of a surprise.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

fredmugs
07-28-2013, 12:22
I use the pages from A Walk in the Woods. It's the only benefit to hikers I can think of.