PDA

View Full Version : Practice and training

Kdoiron
07-20-2013, 07:47
What are people doing for conditioning before their trips?

I live about 45 minutes from the white mountains in NH so ive been going with the classic climb mountains whenever you get a chance approach.

What are you doing to physically prepare?

Malto
07-20-2013, 08:01
I get out on average about three three weeks year round for a long weekend hike. So I guess hiking keeps me in shape for hiking.

hikerboy57
07-20-2013, 08:05
There is no better training for backpacking than backpacking. There is no better training ground than the White Mountains
I hike every week and get out for 5 or 6 trips a year

fizz3499
07-20-2013, 08:31
I walk 5 miles a day pretty much everyday rain or shine. About a month before we leave for long hikes I start carrying my backpack with 15-20 pounds in it on my walks.

Ezra
07-20-2013, 08:48
I hike and do trail maintenance.

Working with a local trail club will certainly give you a workout.

redseal
07-20-2013, 11:10
A quick primer of some options can be found here:

http://www.backpackingengineer.com/planning/fitness.html

glacier freeze
07-20-2013, 16:04
Train as if you were training for a mile, 5k, or 10k. Too often I have been asked the question "How do you hike so many miles each day?" My reply is my running background. Then they follow up with "...well I have run several marathons, but I'm still [injured, slower, or not hiking as much as you".

I eventually realized it's not aerobic endurance that allows me to hike 3 mph for 14 hours a day, but it's aerobic strength. Essentially, my threshold/work capacity is greater.

If you look at my daily hiking schedule, it goes something like this
6AM Hike
10AM 5 minute water break
12PM Lunch
12:30PM Hike
3PM 5 minute water break
6PM Dinner
6:30PM Hike
9PM Stop hiking

...very little breaks at a constant 3 mph regardless of terrain

That aerobic strength comes from 15+ mile long runs at 7 minute mile pace, 9 mile threshold runs at 5:45 minute mile pace, tempo runs, hill workouts, and track workouts.

In the end, 3 mph doesn't feel hard because I am accustomed to running much faster. Even carrying a 30 pound pack hasn't changed anything. But, I will agree that hiking with a pack is a good way to get used to carrying the weight.

Tipi Walter
07-20-2013, 16:08
Before their trips? Well, I always seem to lose weight after a typical long trip and so I figure in a couple more years I'll weigh 25 lbs. ha ha ha.

Anyway, you can jog, you can bicycle. I just came in from hiking around the "back 40" with my pack filled to about 70 lbs. As someone said, there's no better training for backpacking than backpacking.

Chair-man
07-20-2013, 22:23
I've been working the stairs pretty hard lately both up and down. Nothing better in my opinion but I'll find out in Sept when I hit the trail.

Edro
07-21-2013, 07:39
Nothings better than hiking to get you in shape for hiking! but i cannot hike every single day, but i do work out. I figure my workouts will help me be strong enough to begin the trail. the trail will help me get strong enough to finish. My workout routine is a combination of cardio and weight (strength) training. i even walk on my treadmill with my loaded backpack on just for the extra resistance it offers. I dont beiieve it resembles actual trails bit the extra weight caint hurt! so between the local trails, the gym and my home workouts, myabe i'll be strong enough to begin come March 2014.

Just Bill
07-21-2013, 08:02
For my fellow flatlanders like me- I train a few days a week on Asphalt bike paths, I find the "punishment" of the pavement to be good training for hiking all day when time is limited. Further time crunch tips- I do run/walks- walk a mile to warm up then run a mile, walk a half; repeat. I finish with a mile walk (about 10 miles total). Find a trail near your house to get some off road work and bring your water treatment options to practice staying hydrated and make sure you like your system and snacks. I found an old toboggan slide near me that lets me get in about 6000 feet of elevation gain in a fifteen mile hike (a few different loops). If you're fortunate to live out east or west- straight mileage is good- for flatlanders I find that you need to overtrain (by about a third) for your intended daily mileage. A flatland forty turns into a thirty mile day on the AT. Finally- make sure you get in some "back to back" long training days to get your body used to doing it every day. If you get burned out- add in bicycling. I ride about 15 miles to my trail, hike for 30 and bike home- I get the "experience" of being out all day without overtraining too much. I also try to walk barefoot for a half hour or so after dinner as often as possible to stretch out and strengthen my feet.

redseal
07-21-2013, 13:08
I just wrote a blog on P90X2 since I finished it just recently. It can be considered overkill, but hey it is a challenge!

http://www.backpackingengineer.com/blog.php/25

Maddog
07-21-2013, 13:46
Nothings better than hiking to get you in shape for hiking! but i cannot hike every single day, but i do work out. I figure my workouts will help me be strong enough to begin the trail. the trail will help me get strong enough to finish. My workout routine is a combination of cardio and weight (strength) training. i even walk on my treadmill with my loaded backpack on just for the extra resistance it offers. I dont beiieve it resembles actual trails bit the extra weight caint hurt! so between the local trails, the gym and my home workouts, myabe i'll be strong enough to begin come March 2014. +1 Maddog:D

Kdoiron
07-21-2013, 15:33
Right now I'm getting ready for a Loop of Franconia Ridge
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/franconia-ridge-lafayette-lincoln-liberty-and-flume
Got only 1 day off next week so im gonna try and make the most of it by leaving work weds evening and headed directly for NH and get as far as i can then set up for an overnight then on my day off hike to my hearts content. Looking forward to possibly bumping into 2013 thru hikers headed north.

I think this is my first real section hike of the AT since deciding to thru hike it. Going back into a 60hr workweek in a busy kitchen afterwards should feel like continuing to hike.

Dogwood
07-21-2013, 16:27
I could say I have this set workout regimen doing these specific exercises/reps/machines, etc blah blah blah but getting and staying in physical/mental shape doesn't happen that way for me anyhow. I'm constantly mixing things up. It keep things interesting for me. It's a lifestyle not something I try to cram into preparing for a hiking trip on a temporary basis. It's LARGELY about maintaining where I am physically and mentally and stretching myself a bit further. It's kind of like putting a new even sharper edge on a knife. And, IMO, I find when I'm engaged in physical training it's naturally accompanied by mental training, They are inseparable for me.

My often American counter culture living outside of the box lifestyle helps me prepare for hikes. OFTEN, I leave the car at home and instead CHOOSE to get to places by walking often alternating my pace from very fast(almost a run) to creeping along checking out the plants and architecture and most everything else I can experience. Even then sometimes I just stop and breathe in and absorb the universe. That going to sound strange as hell to some. Sometimes I'll throw on a pack and walk/hike like that. I wander off into the forest, down creeks/rivers. up/down mountains, wander along bike paths/train tracks/into large botanical gardens/golf courses, etc just to explore and having the goal of seeing what I can see. Sometimes, I purposefully try getting a little lost when I'm doing that. I like leaving the pick-up at home and riding a bike. I'll choose to even do it when I'm making a small grocery store shopping run, going to the PO, going out to eat, etc - in the rain or when it's snowing or in the middle of the night. The purpose is to train my mind, getting mentally comfortable with things that are going to be experienced on a long distance hike, while at the same time, I'm training my body which I think is key in completing a thru-hike. I also spend about half my working time outside working for long durations up to 16 -17 hr days sometimes managing and overseeing and sometimes doing grunt work as a Landscape Architect. Again, training my body and mind simultaneously. I like what Glacier Freeze alluded to, it's essentially about expanding your threshold and making your work capacity greater. I despise being locked up in an office behind a desk or computer for long durations.

Here are more things I do to prepare for, not only a hike, but for life. Along the getting comfortable with thru-hiking idea I sometimes sleep outside in the woods near where I am even in the middle of the week when I have to be at work the next morning. I do keep my wt down too and it's a STRONG interest of mine to consume the healthiest foods I can afford. I refuse to ever ever ever let myself get fat or lethargic for an extended period. I also used to run about 4-5 times per wk on 10 mile per day runs but these days I run outside less and jump on the elliptical tread mill. I run/walk stairs alot. The highschool football stadium stairs at midnight are one of my favorites. If it's raining or snowing even better. It will make me stronger. The local high school security as well as the police know me by now. They've ceased stopping me in the middle of the night sometimes even when I'm wearing a weighted backpack. I'm the guy who you see near the elevator that's looking for the stairwell opting for the stairs instead. I'm the guy that made it to the top before you by taking the stairs rather than the escalator. I'm the guy walking fast through the airport wearing a backpack like he's on a mission while others are creeping along on the flat people moving conveyor belts on their cell phones or some other electronic device. Do I lift wts? Yes, a little but not consistently enough to do much more than just help me stay toned. I do weighted and inclined sitting leg raises, stomach crunches, push ups, some upper body workouts with low wts, and stretching. After having gotten away from stretching I've realized how important that is, especially since getting older, so am back doing that. Many will be hearing this for the first time but I've worked on my breathing for several yrs now. It really helps getting that full oxygenating breathe which I find is crucial when getting above 10 k elevation attempting to squeeze as much oxygen as I can into my lungs and being able to make the most of it or when I want to sustain a faster hiking pace. It also helps in relaxing your mind and body when you're extending yourself.

While I much prefer hitting a trail in optimal long distance hiking shape, this is the type of hiking I mostly do, and I would say I do quite a bit of it, no matter how fit both mentally and physically I'm in, there are always adjustments to long distance(thru-hiking) life that I must make. I say that because IMO some hikers think they can micro manage all the details of a hike and this doesn't happen in boots on the ground real life. IMO, one of the key factors to embrace in being able to complete a long hike is knowing you can't control/prepare for/manage/know about everything - you need to be adaptable. You have to be prepared to embrace the unknowns.

rocketsocks
07-21-2013, 22:55
I walk with and without my pack to stay in shape...with pack I add about 20-25 lb, that's about everything I'd normal bring less food and water and maybe some winter gear, I don't really weigh it, I just want some weight in there to give my shoulders and hips a work out to keep them ready for go time....I also do squats, though lately I've been slaking off on those. A typical walk for me is maybe 5-6 miles per day sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how I feel, lately with the heat...it's been less.

Mags
07-21-2013, 23:42
Do whatever exercise you can do often during the week (biking, weight lifting, elliptical, running, etc), backpack and hike as much as you can, do a lot of outdoor stuff for fun thrown in too (skiing? climbing? canoeing?) if so inclined.

When you hit the trail, good chance the first few weeks will be enjoyable and not a chore.

Dogwood
07-22-2013, 02:33
REAL Mountain Biking is good training too.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featured/most-terrifying-mountain-biking-trail-on-earth/8975?image=3

rocketsocks
07-22-2013, 06:27
REAL Mountain Biking is good training too.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featured/most-terrifying-mountain-biking-trail-on-earth/8975?image=3
No freakin way...not this boy! them kids are nuts.

Dogwood
07-23-2013, 04:20
Did you notice the long vertical crack in the rock where the cliff pt will eventually break away in the pic where he's doing a wheelie? Oh, I'd pay good money to see that pt break away right there as someone is showing off doing a wheelie. Bet that helmet will not make a difference in that situation.

PeaPicker
07-23-2013, 04:58
Dogwood if I must do this kind of training,I have failed on my AT thru hike and am selling everything.

forrest!
07-25-2013, 09:59
Just back from a dry-run hike in the 100 mile wilderness. Did Abol Bridge to Monson at the same time that I will do it next year on my thru (I hope). I figured that would be an excellent test of me and my equipment for next year.

Did the section in 7 days/6 nights. Not bad for an old man. Left my truck at Shaws and got a shuttle from them to Abol Bridge, then hiked back to my truck.

The first half of the 100MW is pretty easy - no need to dawdle in that area. Things get more difficult when the climbs start over Whitecap Mt.

Anyway, looking forward to next year - now I know what to expect in Maine in late June - lots of bugs and high water fords. I realize the weather next year may be different, but it was a great confidence builder.

Another Kevin
07-25-2013, 17:01
From a much worse starting point than most of you guys...

I've found that every little bit helps. One of the best things I ever did for myself was to start walking to work carrying about 25 lb (heavy laptop, some other gadgets, bottle or two of water and a few books) in a big daypack. It might just be 15-20 minutes each way, but my knees are a ton better, and I've dropped about 30 lb in a couple of years without changing my eating habits at all. Which has the wonderful secondary effect that I can go as fast backpacking as I used to be able to on a day trip. (I'm still slow.)

Oh yeah, and I get out for a clueless weekend when I can. But life's responsibilities never seem to allow me the time to train properly. On the other hand, I try to make my clueless weekends (and the very occasional longer section) count - choose routes that involve rock scrambling, off-trail work, stream crossings, snowshoeing, whatever skills I think I most need to brush up on.

On the other hand, I have no pride at all. If I were to set off on a longer hike, I'd be highly unlikely to try to keep up with anyone. Plan for 8-12 mile days at the start, and see how well I shape up. Maybe I'll try it in about 2020, if my health holds until then. I can't see life's responsibilities allowing me more than the occasional weekend or short section before then.

barefootqt
07-25-2013, 18:50
I am an avid backpacker and a long distance runner. My boyfriend, my son and I take regular backpacking trips throughout the state never anything less than 3 days on a trail. We usually cover about 17 miles per day, up to 25. We make an effort to pack what we will carry on the AT plus some extras - we have a dog so sometimes we carry her food if we are giving her back a break from her own pack. We are all fairly active with anything outdoors - hiking, backpacking, kayaking, swimming, running, MovNat, pretty much anything.

Dogwood
07-25-2013, 20:38
If you prefer you can train like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOzub_ghAbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZPIU0wGVkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vyjgTRNJKI

Hops53
07-25-2013, 20:58
I try and hike two weekends a month when I am not out for longer. At home I hit the gym most days - do a lot of core, back, and shoulders, some cardio - but the hiking is the main thing - I think good core, upper body strength, and stability training are way beneficial.

q-tip
07-26-2013, 08:33
This program in the Clyde Soles book has been the best for me, 2-3 months and I am good to go. Also losing 35 lbs. at Weight Watchers helped. I actually lost more than my pack weight...

Autummyst
07-26-2013, 13:54
Hi everyone! This is a great thread. My fiance and I are hiking 2014 and we just came back from our first real backpacking trip. It's completely true that nothing is better than backpacking to prepare for backpacking. We are both in good shape, workout regularly (running, Insanity workout, bands for resistance, yoga, etc). We even did walks with packs near our house, but really, all that did was make it so we didn't die on the hike. We'll keep active of course, and it makes it so you can hike without losing your breath. But backpacking was A LOT harder than we thought it would be. It's also REALLY REWARDING. So we are both pumped to get back out and for next year. :)

capehiker
07-26-2013, 14:12
When I'm not on the road, I walk to work in the morning (4 miles one way). I partially tore my LCL over the winter so I'm hugely concerned with re-injuring my knee. In fact, out of all the possible things one can worry about (bears, ticks, snakes, etc) twisting my knee is the ultimate fear for me. Even worse would be having it happen 20 miles into my Thru. I'll be wearing a support brace and have been doing exercises to strengthen my knee but once one injures the knee, the lingering fear lurks in the background.

hobbs
07-26-2013, 14:22
Hi everyone! This is a great thread. My fiance and I are hiking 2014 and we just came back from our first real backpacking trip. It's completely true that nothing is better than backpacking to prepare for backpacking. We are both in good shape, workout regularly (running, Insanity workout, bands for resistance, yoga, etc). We even did walks with packs near our house, but really, all that did was make it so we didn't die on the hike. We'll keep active of course, and it makes it so you can hike without losing your breath. But backpacking was A LOT harder than we thought it would be. It's also REALLY REWARDING. So we are both pumped to get back out and for next year. :)
Sounds like you have a great core program and found that backpacking you have to backpack to really get in shape for it..

Autummyst
07-27-2013, 10:43
Sounds like you have a great core program and found that backpacking you have to backpack to really get in shape for it..

Absolutely Hobbs...there were muscles we didn't even know we had that were sore after our trip. We noticed a lot of the stabilizing types of muscles were what was really sore (our quads and major muscle groups were fine). So we are thinking we may up our core work a bit to get those stabilizing ones in check at least a little more.

The major thing we realized is it's just like any other workout regime in terms of physical training. The first couple weeks your body adapts and your sore and then you start to actually enjoy that workout. For us, that was good information to have since we hadn't backpacked before.

mumbls
07-27-2013, 14:40
I've been doing 6mi. per day 6 days a week with 30lb inside an old Champs adventuring pack.. in addition to a regular fitness routine. My plan is to bring it down to about half of this over the winter then ramp it up to 10mi/day & 30lb 6days/week about 6 weeks prior to the actual AT.

Drybones
07-27-2013, 20:33
I wasn't doing it to prepare for the trail but I believe a sweet young lady at Gold's Gym made a huge difference in how my hike went last year, especially the first part. I took a fast paced 60 minute, continual, no breathers, aerobic class a couple times a week along with the regular gym routine. I thought I was doing weights too much so I started doing a class called Body Blast thinking that working out with the ladies would be like a day off....they nearly killed me! Not that much weight but the number of reps put a hurtin on me.

Kdoiron
07-28-2013, 16:55
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/mt-whiteface-and-mt-passaconaway

Here's my next trek for tomorrow. I've decided what better way to get into shape for the AT than to hit all 41 4000+ foot peaks in NH, before i go. So far in the last two weeks I've gotten 5/41 and going to add two more to this list. If anyone lives in the northeast and would like to join me send a pm.

Dogwood
07-28-2013, 18:28
If you have access to a trampoline that makes for a good lower impact(on joints, etc) workout in prep for a long hike. Compared to running on trails or pavement this, as well as workouts in a pool, or on a bike(could be stationary, elliptical, inside/outside, etc) can be alternatives for those with joint, muscle issues, etc and possibly for very over wt folks who have a hard time jumping right into hardcore running, running stairs, backpacking, etc. Every workout or workout program doesn't have to be so hardcore as some, including myself, have made it out to be. The pt is you got to start somewhere and workout consistently.

It's also my illusion that once you start noticing the benefits of a fitter healthier happier YOU you'll start examining other ares of your life to achieve greater health and fitness like your nutrition/diet. BTW, I refer to diet NOT as a temporary wt loss program that you then suddenly walk away from after you shed the lbs. I'm referring to longer term lifestyle changes.

My two siblings and a neighbor have trampolines that I do 30 min workouts on. Helps with footwork too. If just beginning getting into shape and over wt kicking around the pool by using a floatation device such as a boogie board or holding onto the pool edge, treading water, marching, etc can all be good places to start. Combine any of those techniques with the simple act of walking and you're on your way to gaining better fitness - on and of the trail!

hobbs
07-28-2013, 19:20
I used pool therapy after a stress facture. I then went back to ruinning and hiking after the Doctors said I was ok..

SandyReid
07-31-2013, 21:55
One tip learned on a weekend backpacking course with Jennifer Pharr Davis to condition the ankles was to practice writing the alphabet with your big toe while foot in the air. Looks crazy but does loosen up the joint!

QuabbinHiker
08-05-2013, 04:16
We are leaving Jan 1st 2014 to do our training on the trail, during our thru hike. No better place to train than on trail. We enjoy the feeling of getting stronger on the trail from being weak - it gives immense satisfaction. We are on our second thru hike of the AT, this time we are going slower to ENJOY the trail. We are probably targeting the finish for mid september.

We feel we lost a lot of the experience the first time because we were newbies. This time with a thru hike under our belts, we can slow the hell down and truly take in the trail.

Bagge Pants
09-21-2013, 23:49
Lately I bike to and from my job as a handyman. It's a round trip 8 miles but, it's sort of hilly and I ride fixed gear. I also run 30 or 60 minutes on hilly trails several times a week and once a week I go on a long hike. I've progressed to 30 miles with a full pack. Also, I walk 5 miles to and from the grocery store once a week or so. I can't keep still! This is what happens when I'm "unemployed". ;)

AttorneyAtLunch
09-22-2013, 18:56
1. My lifestyle already does a lot to support my health for this hike. I work at a bakery and I'm on my feet for at least eight hours a day, five days a week. I don't own a car either and get everywhere by bike or foot.

2. I've adjusted my regular workout routine. I put the treadmill on full elevation set to 5.5 mph and wear a weighted vest. I'd like to train on actual trails but as anyone from Columbus can tell you, the whole area is completely flat-it isn't even legal to hunt game with a rifle because if you miss, that bullet will fly all the way to Cincinnati, haha.

I try not to over plan for a thru-hike, from what I've researched, it seems like you don't need much physical preparation.

kayak karl
09-22-2013, 19:05
I've been jumping to conclusions, stretching the truth and running at the mouth....... and doing it all right here :)