PDA

View Full Version : Ground Cloth

SoloSonya
07-20-2013, 07:50
I am planning on getting either the moment or scarp tarp tent and was wondering if I needed a footprint with it? What does everyone think? I've read on here somewhere that you don't need one with all tents so I wasn't for sure.

Wise Old Owl
07-20-2013, 08:23
footprints or emergency mylar are not needed - they make packing up in the rain and dirt easier.

jeffmeh
07-20-2013, 11:33
WOW is correct. There is no need, and Henry states that on the site. It can come in handy though, for shelter floors, or cowboy camping on a nice night. Personal preference....

Tipi Walter
07-20-2013, 12:25
Once again, it must be remembered that the TarpTents have thin 30 denier floors with low hydrostatic head so I'd recommend bringing a ground cloth when the ground is saturated or you're sleeping on slushy snow or happen to get caught in a deluge with standing ground water, a fairly common thing here in the Southeast mountains.

And once again I recommend pulling this test on your TarpTent floor---put a water hose in your backyard and fill up a small puddle on the grass. Place the tent floor atop the pool and sit on it for 5 minutes. See if any water comes thru. If so, the floor is not waterproof.

Packeagle
07-20-2013, 12:33
Once again, it must be remembered that the TarpTents have thin 30 denier floors with low hydrostatic head so I'd recommend bringing a ground cloth when the ground is saturated or you're sleeping on slushy snow or happen to get caught in a deluge with standing ground water, a fairly common thing here in the Southeast mountains.

And once again I recommend pulling this test on your TarpTent floor---put a water hose in your backyard and fill up a small puddle on the grass. Place the tent floor atop the pool and sit on it for 5 minutes. See if any water comes thru. If so, the floor is not waterproof.

On par with my experience. It only leaks where your body pushes on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

MuddyWaters
07-21-2013, 10:50
you will want something anyway to sleep on in shelters, so a piece of plastic, tyvek, space blanket, polycro, etc is handy.

Often better used INSIDE your tent, than under it if you expect floor leakage.

Colter
07-21-2013, 11:54
I've never used a groundcloth, even with shelters with no floor. If I set up in places where water will puddle if it rained hard I'd get wet. So I don't. I have saved the weight of a groundcloth all these years. HYOH though. Lots of people use and like them.

HeartFire
07-21-2013, 12:18
Footprints are a personal choice, but I (LightHeart Gear) had one (of my) tents come back for minor repairs after through hiking the AT, the kid never used a footprint, I don't know how carefully he selected a tent site, but there were many tiny holes and abraded areas on the floor of the tent. Tarptent and LightHeart Gear use very similar fabric.

RCBear
07-21-2013, 14:17
Id rather have a dirty wet footprint than a dirty wet tent bottom. Footprint gets shoved in outer pack pocket for wet dirty stuff, tent gets shoved inside side pocket.

Wise Old Owl
07-21-2013, 15:30
Good catch I missed "kentucky" Tipi I love those ground floods in the Virginians

rocketsocks
07-21-2013, 22:58
I use a ground clothe to help preserve my tent bottom a little longer from getting holes, it's mylar, can also be used to help a hiker out who may be in shock...or worse...cold!