PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hiking Ga. section this time of the year

Julio Garcia
07-20-2013, 23:42
I was thinking of taking ten days off and hiking the Ga. section in early august. Just wanted to know if there were any hikers on the trail at this time of the year. I hate getting to a shelter and not having any company at the end of the day.

illabelle
07-21-2013, 06:07
not me. i don't hike in this heat.
pretty likely that there will be someone out there.
or maybe you could bring a friend...?

Nooga
07-21-2013, 08:34
Too hot for me, but I don't think you will find the shelters empty.

StoveStomper
07-21-2013, 13:14
I used to drive up from the MS gulf coast to backpack in those cool GA mountains in July all the time.

canoe
07-21-2013, 19:02
Me and my wife will be there on Monday July 29 and will be hiking to Standing Indian. But I do hope temps cool some

daddytwosticks
07-22-2013, 07:18
Tends to be warm at the lower elevations, especially near the beginning. However, this year has been relatively cooler and wetter. I think you will still see plenty of people on the trail and at the shelters in the evening. :)

nu2hike
07-22-2013, 09:21
I've hiked the Georgia section in both July and August! The temps were mostly in the upper eighties. Being from Mississippi I didn't find it to be bad at all! YMMV :)

fredmugs
07-22-2013, 11:50
I haven't hiked GA this time of year but I have hiked in other places and there's a good chance of coming across an empty shelter during the work week. Check out the Hooking Up forum on here and see if anyone else has something planned.

Hill Ape
07-22-2013, 13:09
i hiked woody's to tesnatee last week. i live in atlanta but have a place in ellijay where i'm from, so the georgia section is well trod for me. yes, it will be hot. no, you won't be alone by any means. no, the black bears don't attack, but they will come for your food. no, most locals don't like out of towners, thats why we play banjos. seriously though, bring your rain gear. we've had record rainfall this year, finally broke the decades long drought deficits!

Praha4
07-22-2013, 14:42
I did the Amicalola Falls SP to Neels Gap section a couple weeks ago, middle of the week. It was hot and humid, with afternoon thunderstorms each day. Water sources were no problem with all the rain, the creeks and springs were running well. This time of year, you run into a fair number of dayhikers and short section hikers in GA on the AT. One day I met at least 10 dayhikers and section hikers from Ohio, and a couple other dayhikers from Florida. Usually in the summer, you will still have at least one other hiker at a shelter, more on weekends. Sometimes you will run into Boy Scout troops out on a hike. My night at Gooch Mtn Shelter there were 2 other section hikers, an older guy from south Florida and a young guy from Ohio. But during the day you pretty much have the trail to yourself, it's a great time to hike in GA, if you can handle the heat and humidity and stay well hydrated. That section from Hawk Mtn Shelter to Justis Creek is the longest dry section, and you have Sassafras Mtn and Justis Mtn climbs in that section. It was also interesting to read the GA shelter logs from the early NOBO thru hikers who started in March. Springer Mtn logbook in the big rock had a zillion entries dated March 31st and April 1st.

MkBibble
07-23-2013, 15:25
I've hiked the Georgia section in both July and August! ... Being from Mississippi I didn't find it to be bad at all! This, except Central Texas for me, and South Florida for the OP. It really isn't bad...

No Directions
07-23-2013, 19:33
I will be out this weekend for 2 nights. Trying out my hammock for the first time. Night times have been cool this summer. Especially at higher elevations.

Chris10
07-24-2013, 08:45
We were out a couple of weeks ago as well, and the temps., at least for us were great. They mostly stayed in the low to mid 70s during the day, and mid 60s at night. Now if the rain in GA would go away, it would be perfect!

rubyvermonter
07-24-2013, 12:49
I will be hiking south from Carver's Gap, TN, starting 8/8, and hope to finish the trail in Georgia by the end of the month.