PDA

View Full Version : 2014 NoBo looking for compatible co-hiker

BigEnso
07-21-2013, 09:29
Hi all.

I'm in the planning stages of a northbound hike beginning the first week in March. I'm planning a break-in phase of about 2 weeks limited to roughly 10 miles or so a day and then start increasing mileage from there.

A little about me to help you decide. I'll be 64 at the start but healthy and basically preconditioned. Educated and articulate but fairly quiet. From Texas but well traveled and currently living in northern Thailand. This trip is essentially following my stepfather's advice about retirement. He told me "you can rust out or you can wear out." My gift to myself for reaching Katahdin is a stop in Tanzania to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro on the way home to Thailand.

So, as the quote goes, "Happiness shared is multiplied and pain shared is divided."

David

Slo-go'en
07-21-2013, 18:07
The best way to find a hiking partner for the AT is to simply show up at the trail. On any give day between March and April there will be a number of people starting. On some days it will be 20+. With in a few days, you will know who has similer hiking speeds and compatable personalities.

Sub groups quickly form and are dynamic, especially during the first month or so. Once past the Smokies, you'll know who is in it for the long haul as the "It was always my dream to hike the AT, but didn't have a clue what I was getting into" people start to drop out and go home.

BTW, as your coming from Thailand, I would recommend a later start to avoid the often very cold and wet weather common for March in the southern Appalachians.

BigEnso
07-21-2013, 23:22
Hi Slo-go'en and thanks for the advice.

As for then coming from Thailand part, I don't think the cold and wet will be any problem. I lived in the Midwest for a few years and did a year in Chicago. Coldest winter I ever experienced. Wind chill off of Lake Michigan hit -50 at times. I do t-shirts and shorts until it gets to around 45 degrees or so.