PDA

View Full Version : Cumberlandtrail Fall Dig and Backpack Outings

Bass
07-31-2005, 10:18
Tennessee's Cumberland Trail website now has the the schedule for the new Fall Program on the website: http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/

So if you enjoy "giving back", helping build new trail, and enjoy meeting and working with other trailbuilders from all over the US, be sure to schedule some time time this fall to help with the Cumberland Trail.

In addition to the Fall Dig, an extension of the Spring Big Dig, the CT is increasing the number of backpack outings this fall. They are also doing a two week backpack outing on Bird Mountain in Frozen Head State Park that is specifically designed for "busy backpackers". Backpackers will be able to hike in for however many days they want.

The Cumberland Trail needs your help!

SGT Rock
07-31-2005, 10:31
I moved this one over to the Volunteer Call forum. How about some dates and locations of the work trips! :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-31-2005, 11:06
I have a question about this. Is there any need for people to provide support services (cooking, boiling / filtering water, etc.) for the workers? I'm not physically able to do trail building or maintenance at this time, but would like to give back.

SGT Rock
07-31-2005, 11:36
My experience at trail work would say any help like that would be appreciated, even if it was just showing up at the trail head with sandwiches or some sort of trail magic.

Bass
08-01-2005, 06:44
I moved this one over to the Volunteer Call forum. How about some dates and locations of the work trips! :D Thanks SGT Rock! I like the new Volunteer Call Forum.

There are three fall weekend backpack outings scheduled so far, Sept 9-11, Sept 16 - 18 and Nov 11-14. All three are scheduled to take place in the Soddy Gorge near Soddy Daisy, TN. Soddy Daisy is just north of Chattanooga, TN. The outings will be a combination of trail building and trail maintenance.

The Fall Dig, an extension of our highly successful spring Big Dig, will take place Oct 10 - 30 at the Lutheran Church Camp on Chickamauga Lake near Soddy Daisy, TN. The Lutheran Church Camp has hot showers, a kitchen, and bunk beds.

The two-week backcountry outing is scheduled for Oct 10 - 23 and is especially designed so that volunteers can participate on their own schedule. A front-country camp will be set up in the campground at Frozen Head State Park near Wartburg, TN and a "working" backcountry campsite set up on Bird Mountain.

The front-country campsite has showers, etc. The backcountry campsite is a 2-3 hour difficult hike up Bird Mountain with approximately 1200 feet of elevation gain. Drinking water and trail-building tools will be available at the back country site, but volunteers will have to hike down to the front-country site for showers, to resupply, etc.

For more information, email [email protected], or call CTC at 931-456-6259. See http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/act.html for updates on fall outings.

Bass
08-01-2005, 06:53
I have a question about this. Is there any need for people to provide support services (cooking, boiling / filtering water, etc.) for the workers? I'm not physically able to do trail building or maintenance at this time, but would like to give back. yes! We need lots of help in support services! We will need help in greeting orienting volunteers when they arrive at the Fall Dig or at the front-country site at the two-week backcountry outing. We will need help in cooking, etc.

We are looking forward to your help. Please email us at [email protected] and we can discuss details. Thanks!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-01-2005, 07:43
I hiked up to the both falls on the lower end of Bird Mountain Trail recently. The upper part of the trail to Emory Gap falls is in need of some serious water bar work - and may even need a some culverts installed. A copious amount of water was running down the trail on on the upper 1/3 of the spur to the falls. We ran into a work crew with a ranger up there building water bars.

Bass, I need to get with the male dino re: the October dates and see when we can come. We live close enough to drive home in the evenings if the campground gets too full. I doubt I could hike up Bird Mountain right now. I suffered a broken hip and shattered femur about this time last year and my upper quad isn't rehabing well.