PDA

View Full Version : Going awol on the AT?

horicon
07-21-2013, 20:25
Has any one gone awol on the AT?

flemdawg1
07-21-2013, 20:26
Yeah, AWOL did.
http://www.shop.theatguide.com/Awol-on-the-Appalachian-Trail-AWOL.htm

Sarcasm the elf
07-21-2013, 21:23

Do you mean actual military AWOL, or just civilians hopping in the trail without telling anyone and abandoning their responsibilities?

Civilians do it often enough. No idea about military personnel.

bfayer
07-21-2013, 21:25
If you are asking about military, then the answer is yes.

Hill Ape
07-22-2013, 00:36
seriously?! maybe someone never should have enlisted. awol is nothing to be proud of, no matter how far you hike to get away. desertion is a serious offense, it will follow you. you made a commitment, see it through. if you quit the military, you'll be a quitter for life.

RF_ace
07-22-2013, 08:36
DD's are no joke, 3-4 years will go by quick

canoe
07-22-2013, 08:37
seriously?! maybe someone never should have enlisted. awol is nothing to be proud of, no matter how far you hike to get away. desertion is a serious offense, it will follow you. you made a commitment, see it through. if you quit the military, you'll be a quitter for life.
.....+1.......

Fog Horn
07-22-2013, 08:54
I would never have gone AWOL, because that follows you for life. It tags you as a quitter and makes you not trustworthy, imo. That said, if I did go AWOL, I think the AT is a beautiful place to do it.

bfayer
07-22-2013, 09:43

Its a sad fact but thousands of .mil folks go AWOL every year. Most are only for a day or two and are given art. 15 and go back to work. A handful never come back and are listed as deserters.

The AT is within hitching distance of dozens of military installations on the east coast and for kids that feel they have no place to go, the AT looks like a good place to escape.

And yes, before you ask, I have dealt with folks that have done it.

I suspect there are far more civilians "AWOL" on the AT than .mil.

Rain Man
07-22-2013, 09:45

You mean like Republican Governor Mark Sanford? Didn't hurt him with the good voters of South Carolina, who just re-elected him to Congress!

Rain Man

Tuckahoe
07-22-2013, 10:01
I maybe wrong, but I suspect that the OP was refering to non-military folks dropping out of society by hitting the AT. For the most part the sorts of servicemen that would go UA are the losers and lowlifes that are not inclined to hit the trail.

gizzy bear
07-22-2013, 10:54
You mean like Republican Governor Mark Sanford? Didn't hurt him with the good voters of South Carolina, who just re-elected him to Congress!

Rain Man

he was in a remote area ... without phone reception ;)

Fog Horn
07-22-2013, 12:06
I maybe wrong, but I suspect that the OP was refering to non-military folks dropping out of society by hitting the AT. For the most part the sorts of servicemen that would go UA are the losers and lowlifes that are not inclined to hit the trail.

I agree that the OP was likely referring to non military folks, but either way he meant it, his question was answered with a yes :D

And I would argue your second point. YMMV, but the majority of the kids I've seen go AWOL did so because they were afraid of something they didn't think they could handle, be it war, finishing basic training, or they did something wrong and didn't want to face the consequences of their actions, etc. They left with the mindset already in place that they needed to hide. The AT would be a great place to hide for a few months.

Theosus
07-22-2013, 12:18

Rain Man

Ive said this before...
he wasn't "hiking the Appalachian Trail". He was "liking this Argentenian Tail!". Thanks to Verizon's bad connections and a governor's aide, there was a lot of confusion.